Artist of the Week (6/14/10) - Lucinda Williams

Know of a great band you think we'd like to hear about? Got some music news? Or just want to talk about music in general? Post it here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Fool No Where

Re: Artist of the Week (6/14/10) - Lucinda Williams

Post by Fool No Where »

Having a broken heart wears you out.

Clams

Post by Clams »

I'm bumping this thread only to highlight the Lucinda sampler that was buried at the bottom of my original post. Get it here:

http://www.sendspace.com/file/84nsld
Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

Penny Lane

Post by Penny Lane »

I just saw this!! I discovered Lucinda after Car Wheels, too. She's never made a mediocre album...her songs cut so deep...they ARE sexy, and they're sad, and poignant, and realistic all at the same time. Every time i go through a breakup, i throw her on for months...

Little Honey and Car Wheels are my favorite albums and "Knowing" is one of the greatest songs written..

thanks, Clams!! wish i could have heard that version of 'ode to billie joe'....
In my blood, there's gasoline..

brettac1

Post by brettac1 »

I love/enjoy every album aside from West, which just doesn't do it for me.
Do you ever get tired of singin' songs
Like all your pain is just another fuckin' sing along?

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

"I saw that photograph of the men standing around the pool table, and read that phrase, '2-Kool 2-Be 4-Gotten,' and the inspiration was obvious. Every time I sing that song I credit Birney Imes. Birney's work is, in photography, what a good blues song is to me-gritty, edgy in all its parallels."

-Lucinda Williams

found it here http://boogiewoogieflu.blogspot.com/200 ... uence.html

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

Notice "Junebug vs Hurricane" & "Is God The Answer? YES" on the wall too ^^

I found this neat, but I'm a geek

Clams

Post by Clams »

Saw this write-up in a local blog previewing Lucinda's upcoming show here. Obviously this guy "gets" her.

Lucinda Williams is still the beloved revolutionary sweetheart of the alt-country rodeo. All of us literate roots-rock boys still daydream about her the same way we used to daydream about Liz Phair. We know all about her because we read The New Yorker. We know about her father’s literary standing and her mother’s madness; we know about her dead boyfriends and her Southern pedigree. We know about her open-armed embrace of all the humid folkloric strangeness the region holds: the sweaty danger of juke joints, the satanic deals at the crossroads, the Pentecostal hellfire and brimstone, and the taking up of serpents. We know about her deep blue melancholy, the crying jags that go on for days, the tears that literally blur the lyrics she inks in her notebook into Rorschach haiku. And we love her for all this. We love the way her voice sounds like she been up all night doing God knows what; the way it tremulously hugs the vowels in the names of those Southern towns that roll off her tongue–Jackson, Greenville, Lake Charles–each one a lonely capital of magic and loss on the road map of her immaculate heart. We love her irrational perfectionism, how she recorded Car Wheels on a Gravel Road three separate times over three years until finally she made the most perfect album released in the ’90s — and deep down, we knew all along that whatever came after it could never live up to our expectations. Six albums later, including to the new Blessed, that’s still more or less true. But hey, DaVinci only had one Mona Lisa in him and besides, us literate roots-rock boys still love her — maybe even a little more when she fucks up.

http://www.phawker.com/2011/10/03/early ... -tin-roof/

Gang Green

Post by Gang Green »

Please, if you are a big fan of Lucinda Williams, check-out her interview on Marc Marin's podcast WTF at www.wtfpodcast.com, or if you have an iphond just download the app. If you don't know Marc Maron, he is a psychotic comedian who does his show, WTF, out of his garage and he mostly interviews his fellow comedians. But, he is a music junkie and he talks to Lucinda Williams for more than an hour. If you love Lucinda, you'll love this interview, I promise.

cortez the killer

Post by cortez the killer »

Lucinda's eponymous album was reissued this week. Details here.
You are entitled to your opinion, but you are not entitled to your own facts.
- DPM

Clams

Post by Clams »

Saw Lucinda at the crowded but not packed TLA last night. Her band is stripped down to a trio with a more bluesy/less country sound. Got a bunch from Car Wheels and from her newest record Down Where the Spirit Meets the Bone, plus two encores which featured fun covers of the Clash, Springsteen and Neil Young. The highlights for me were her quieter songs, when she played guitar and sang by herself ("Look at the World" from Spirit Meets the Bone) or with just her guitar player ("Lake Charles" from Car Wheels which was followed by 2 Kool 2 Be 4-Gotten with the band, which was my favorite one-two punch of the night). She also played a couple of new songs that are gonna be on her next record which is presently being mixed. Lucinda is definitely a diva and one of the highlights of a Lu show (this was probably my 7th or 8th) is just watching and listening to her and she did not disappoint. Last night she was packed into a tight black outfit that showed way too much cleavage as she attempted to dance to her songs, and her story about a strain of weed that's named after her ("I can smoke myself!") and her song introductions and rambling apology for starting the set late were priceless, classic Lu. A really fun night out with a couple of old college buddies to boot. Good times.

Flea

Post by Flea »

Am I alone in finding that her vocal affectation since about the time of Honeybee is a bit off-putting?
Now it's dark.

Clams

Post by Clams »

Flea wrote:Am I alone in finding that her vocal affectation since about the time of Honeybee is a bit off-putting?
Not sure I'd call it an affectation, I just think that her drawl is just getting more pronounced as she gets older. Her voice sounds almost Dylan-like these days.

Flea

Post by Flea »

Clams wrote:
Flea wrote:Am I alone in finding that her vocal affectation since about the time of Honeybee is a bit off-putting?
Not sure I'd call it an affectation, I just think that her drawl is just getting more pronounced as she gets older. Her voice sounds almost Dylan-like these days.

Maybe, but it tends to vary a bit as from song to song. Almost sounds sometimes like she's singing through a mouthful of cornmush.
Now it's dark.

Clams

Post by Clams »

Flea wrote: like she's singing through a mouthful of cornmush.
I detected no mushmouth last night. Then again I was about half way back so who knows.

Clams

Post by Clams »

Going to see Lucinda tonight at World Cafe Live in Philly.

This article is a great read:
Lucinda Williams Looks Back on Every Album She’s Ever Made

http://www.spin.com/2016/02/lucinda-wil ... interview/

211poundsofpork

Post by 211poundsofpork »

Thank you Clams! This looks like a great read.

Clams wrote:Going to see Lucinda tonight at World Cafe Live in Philly.

This article is a great read:
Lucinda Williams Looks Back on Every Album She’s Ever Made

http://www.spin.com/2016/02/lucinda-wil ... interview/

cortez the killer

Post by cortez the killer »

Pitchfork did their "look-back" review of Car Wheels a couple weeks ago.
You are entitled to your opinion, but you are not entitled to your own facts.
- DPM

Clams

Post by Clams »