Artist of the Week: Chris Knight 12/17/12

Know of a great band you think we'd like to hear about? Got some music news? Or just want to talk about music in general? Post it here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

rlipps

Artist of the Week: Chris Knight 12/17/12

Post by rlipps »

Sorry for the delay, my students started semester exams yesterday and the AOTW post I was supposed to do completely slipped my mind. Better late than never I guess. Here's the requisite bio info for Chris Knight, courtesy of Wikipedia:

Chris Knight (born June 24, 1960) is a singer and songwriter from the mining town of Slaughters, Kentucky. When he was three years old, he asked for a plastic guitar for Christmas. At 15, however, he became serious and began teaching himself John Prine songs on his older brother's guitar.

Knight earned a degree in agriculture from Western Kentucky University. He worked for ten years as a mine reclamation inspector and as a miner's consultant. In 1986, he heard Steve Earle on the radio and decided to start writing songs. After six years he came to Nashville and won a spot on a songwriters' night at the Bluebird Cafe. He attracted the interest of Frank Liddell, who signed him to a contract with Bluewater Music. When Decca Records hired Liddell for an A&R position, Knight received a contract and in 1998 Decca released his self-titled debut. Knight lived in a house trailer on 90 acres in Slaughters when the album was released. He has since become a major name in the alternative country music genre. He is often considered one of the best singer-songwriters.

As for my initial exposure to Chris Knight, I was a sophomore in college at the University of Kentucky when I first saw the video for "It Ain't Easy Being Me" on CMT. I had been a country fan in my earlier years, but had slowly started drifting away from that genre in college, but this song just grabbed me on first listen and I knew I had to find out more about this new artist.

After doing some research online, I found out Knight was from KY and that he had just released his self-titled debut album. I immediately went to Spy Records in Lexington and found the CD and went home and played it over and over again. I was struck at how raw and honest his songs were, and for the first time in a very long time, I felt like someone was writing songs I could directly relate to. His other "hit" on the first album was a murder song called Framed. He also released a video for it that got some airplay on CMT.

I began going to see Knight in concert each time he came to Lexington, which was pretty often back in those days. He usually played at Lynagh's, and some of those shows are still some of my favorite college memories. After the debut album, Chris waited over 3.5 years to release his follow-up, A Pretty Good Guy. Although it had the misfortune of having 9/11/01 as its release date (along with SRO), this album quickly debunked any notion of a sophomore slump and firmly established Knight as one of the best singer-songwriters in the Alt-Country/Americana genres. This is probably my favorite Chris Knight album, and these next two songs are a big reason why:

Knight's next album, The Jealous Kind, was released in 2003 and featured more of the same dark, gritty songs dealing with life in small-town America. Personal highlights from that release include the title track, Devil Behind the Wheel, Long Black Highway & Me and This Road.

Fans would have to wait almost 3 years to get the next release, Enough Rope, but it was well worth the wait. This is still one of my favorite CK albums, as it seems to have more of a rock-based sound. Chris was asked about the album upon it's release and he stated, "It rocks a little more and the body count isn't as high". I also have fond memories of this album, because Knight came to my hometown and played our local festival just a few weeks after this album was released. That might not seem like a big deal to most, but when you are used to having washed-up mainstream country acts playing your festival (Lorrie Morgan, Confederate Railroad, Sammy Kershaw, etc), then getting Chris Knight was a much-welcomed surprise. Here are a few songs from this album, including a beautiful performance of the title track.

In 2007 & 2009, Knight released The Trailer Tapes and Trailer II, respectively. These were old demos that Knight had recorded prior to the release of his debut album. Here is what Amazon's review says about The Trailer Tapes & Trailer II.

The Trailer Tapes
In the summer of 1996, inside a sweltering singlewide trailer outside a small Kentucky mining town, an unknown singer/songwriter named Chris Knight recorded an `unofficial' batch of tracks prior to the release of his major label debut album. Over the next decade, through a combination of leaks, bootlegs and legend, those sessions would become something much more. People have been talking about these tapes ever since I recorded them, Chris Knight says. To me, they were rough and stark and I never thought they'd see the light of day. Ten years and four acclaimed albums later, The Trailer Tapes remain a remarkable moment in time, less captured than cornered, a portrait of the artist as a ferociously talented young man. And for the artist The New York Times would soon call the last of a dying breed a hard-nosed iconoclast with an acoustic guitar and a college degree, The Trailer Tapes have now arrived as the long-missing first chapter of one of the most uncompromising careers in music today.

Trailer II
Trailer II is far more than just a sequel to The Trailer Tapes. Where the majority of the first album were songs that had never appeared on any subsequent Knight disc, Trailer II features original versions of what would become many of Chris' most popular tracks. Like its predecessor, the 12 songs on Trailer II were recorded in the summer of 1996 inside Knight's sweltering singlewide in a field just outside of Slaughters, Kentucky (population 238, including Chris). Knight, then an unknown singer-songwriter still months away from recording his major label debut album, had begrudgingly agreed to record a batch of solo acoustic tracks on his own terms. For one week, Knight, Liddell and engineer Joe Hayden crowded around two vocal and guitar microphones to capture twenty-five of Knight's original songs on ADAT tape. Over the next 10 years, the stark and stunning recordings via a combination of bootlegs, leaks and legend, would become one of the most talked-about sessions of the decade.

In between the Trailer releases, Knight managed to release another studio album, Heart of Stone in 2008. While not my favorite CK album, it does have some very strong songs, including these next two. (note that Crooked Road features Dan Baird)

Chris Knight's latest release, Little Victories, was released on 9/11/12 and will definitely be included in many best of lists for 2012, including mine. Knight's songwriting continues to mature, but he revisits many of the familiar themes, including trying to make ends meet in today's economy and standing strong in the face of hard times of any kind. I personally love this album and it has been in constant rotation since it's release. It's also noteworthy that Chris finally gets to sing with one of his personal heroes and inspirations, John Prine, on the title track. Here are some clips from this album.

Chris Knight has been one of my favorite artists since the first time I heard him, and I would highly recommend catching a show if he's nearby. The full band shows are rocking, and the acoustic/duo shows highlight the great lyrics that make him one of today's premier songwriters. I also feel a special kinship to Knight, as both of us are from small towns in Kentucky. Just like some of you from Alabama can directly relate when DBT talks about Lookout Mountain, Highway 72, Wilson Dam, I know exactly what Chris is talking about when he sings of "fishing the Green River", "hair as black as Pike County coal" or "two boys he worked with from Adair". That sense of place helps me relate to Chris on an almost personal level, but just as you don't have to be from Alabama to appreciate DBT, Knight's music is for anyone. Hope this inspires some of you to check out his albums or catch a show.

Smitty

Re: Artist of the Week: Chris Knight 12/17/12

Post by Smitty »

I was first introduced to Knight via CMT & "It Ain't Easy Being Me" too - saw it on that badass "Jammin Country" show they did late at night in the 90's. First saw him live at City Stages 2004 in B'ham (first night I saw DBT too) - Jason Isbell sat with my girlfriend and I during Knight's set.
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

rlipps

Post by rlipps »

Smitty wrote:I was first introduced to Knight via CMT & "It Ain't Easy Being Me" too - saw it on that badass "Jammin Country" show they did late at night in the 90's. First saw him live at City Stages 2004 in B'ham (first night I saw DBT too) - Jason Isbell sat with my girlfriend and I during Knight's set.

Loved Jammin' Country, they played some great videos on that. I knew Jason was a CK fan, cause the 400 Unit had played a festival gig a few years ago and Knight was on the bill too and I asked Jason via Twitter if he managed to catch Chris' set and he replied that he did and he was awesome as usual. Pretty cool you guys got to sit with him during the set.

Jonicont
Site Admin

Post by Jonicont »

Thanks Rodney. Picked up Little Victories based on some recs here and just lovin' it. Haven't had the time but plan on checking out some early stuff. Now I know where to start. Is it still available?
Always go to the show

Clams

Post by Clams »

Took me about 18 goddam months but I finally got Rodney up off his butt to write about Chris Knight for AOTW!!

I will admit to not knowing much about Knight until a few months ago. I knew a couple of tracks, Bridle on a Bull and Down the River, that Dime had put on a mix that he sent me a few years ago and that was pretty much it. But those were two great songs - especially Down the River, which still gives me goose bumps when I hear it. It's a great story of family and killin' set against some acoustic guitar pickin'. And it's in that great narrative style that reminds me of guys like Patterson and Earle and Springsteen. So basically I liked Chris Knight a lot but I never really pursued it.

Fast forward to a few months ago when Little Victories came out. I checked it out online and it fucking floored me. I immediately went out and bought it. It's like a musical potpourri of the Stones guitars, Steve Earle's mandolin, Cooley's banjo and Mellencamp's voice. But more than the music, the lyrics are what pulled me in. No-nonsense stories of tough times, tough places and hard-scrabble living, but always with the Springsteen-esque components of faith and hope. For me, this record captures the political and economic despair of 2012 and last month's election much in the same way that Patterson did with The Righteous Path in 2008. I've had it in heavy rotation for months now and I'm nowhere near tired of it yet. Very possibly my number 1 album of the year.

Got the Honda 125 running ,
Took the back road to the store
It's about 35 degrees but it sure feels good,
Not to be walking anymore

Got some milk bread and bologna,
Little debbies and some mountain dew
Sometime when I ain't got the groceries gonna see what this thing will do

Little victories, there alright with me
Some days that's all I need

Got a old f-250 four by four, its needing a new rear end
I sold some hides and I sold some wood saving up to get it going again
I can start hauling this timber, I can sell it down at the mine
I reckon they'll bring in a pretty good piece things are looking better all the time

I heard the countries going through hard times, but I aint feeling it none
We're all trying to make it through one more day when its all said and done
I got a deer and a half in the freezer, I got wheels and plenty of wood
I know I aint setting the world on fire but I think I got it pretty good

If you don't run you rust

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

My introduction to Chris Knight came about as many of my alt.country friendly discoveries have in recent years, via the Guitartown email list. It was praise for his A Pretty Good Guy album (as well as the participation of Dan Baird) that led me to seek it out back around 2001. It wasn't long afterwards that I started catching up with some of his other records. I think I have everything he's ever released save for Trailer II. There's also been much discussion on Guitartown over the years about the type of crowd Knight tends to attract which has led to some rather heated debates. It's also been noted on more than one occasion that Knight seems like just the sort of artist that's poised to break through to more of a mainstream country audience, yet that never seems to happen. I know that I've introduced others to his music that found the Truckers and similar bands too gritty or rough around the edges to appreciate but they immediately seem to take a liking to Chris Knight.

LBRod

Post by LBRod »

Jonicont wrote:Thanks Rodney. Picked up Little Victories based on some recs here and just lovin' it.

This is true, but I did not realize until now that he was the guy that made the destruction derby video.
Don't hurt people, and don't take their stuff.

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

He did pen a song (w/Gary Nicholson) that went to number two song on the Billboard Hot Country charts

jr29

Post by jr29 »

I first became aware of Chris several years ago through satellite radio. I heard "Down The River" on Outlaw Country and it absolutely bowled me over. The second song I remember hearing was "Enough Rope" and I liked it as much or more. Since then I have familiarized myself with most all of his material.
I saw him live for the first time this past Saturday and he was great.

rlipps

Post by rlipps »

Jonicont wrote:Thanks Rodney. Picked up Little Victories based on some recs here and just lovin' it. Haven't had the time but plan on checking out some early stuff. Now I know where to start. Is it still available?

As far as I know John, all of his older stuff is still in print. I'm pretty sure all his stuff is on iTunes, Amazon, etc, and the last time I saw him in concert, he had most, if not all, of his older albums for sale.

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

I've dabbled in Chris Knight's stuff based on what I've read here, but never jumped all in. This thread is pushing me to dig deeper. I'm loving what I hear. Perfect blend of Steve Earle, John Mellencamp, and Bruce Springsteen.

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

A note of caution: if you're checking this Mr. Knight out on Spotify, there is a terrible white rapper also named Chris Knight who raps about punching aliens.

You've been warned.

Kudzu Guillotine

Iowan wrote:A note of caution: if you're checking this Mr. Knight out on Spotify, there is a terrible white rapper also named Chris Knight who raps about punching aliens.

You've been warned.

Sure that's not really Chris Knight pulling a Chris Gaines?

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Kudzu Guillotine wrote:
Iowan wrote:A note of caution: if you're checking this Mr. Knight out on Spotify, there is a terrible white rapper also named Chris Knight who raps about punching aliens.

You've been warned.

Sure that's not really Chris Knight pulling a Chris Gaines?

Mother of God, I hope not.

one belt loop

Post by one belt loop »

mmm...age appropriate.
Matt playing like an evil motherfucker w/ rhythm with a capital MPLAEMWR.

- bubba

dime in the gutter

Post by dime in the gutter »

well done, rlipps.

i am a fan since the it ain't easy being me lp...somehow stumbled across it back then.

does the same cat play lead on his first 2 records?

long haired accordian/strat dude from his demo derby vid....who is that?

lots of tasty electric guitar chops on his records.

some really cool cmt sessions clips on the youtubes, also.

beagle001

Post by beagle001 »

Awesome review. Thanks for doing it. I had thought about doing one on Chris a while back, but yours definitely is better than anything I couldve came up with.
Chris Knight is by far the easiest artist I know of to relate to and far too unknown

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

I've been a fan of Chris Knight for about 10 years now. I heard him playing an acoustic version of Framed on a radio show and was hooked instantly.

I'm really liking this newest stuff of his.
A single shot rifle and a one eyed dog.

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

corwritten with chuck prophet.

rlipps

Post by rlipps »

Some more audio/video clips I didn't include in the initial post. Also, I forgot to mention his official website is http://www.chrisknight.net

rlipps

Post by rlipps »

Was listening to Love and a .45 this past weekend and for the first time I realized the character in this song could be the same guy in Used To Be a Cop. This song could basically be after the wife leaves him but before he loses his badge and job. Couldn't find the full band version from his debut album or a decent live version, so this is from the album Trailer II, which were demos recorded by Chris in his trailer before he made his debut album.

Clams

Post by Clams »

Here's a link to Knight's new video for In the Meantime, which I saw on facebook yesterday. His resemblance to John Fogerty is crazy.

http://www.cmt.com/videos/chris-knight/ ... share_copy

rlipps

Post by rlipps »

Made this same exact point on FB the other day

Kudzu Guillotine

rlipps wrote:

Made this same exact point on FB the other day

I'm not sure that it will actually change anything in the long run but it is refreshing to see folks being more vocal about it, not just the female vocalist aspect but the state of mainstream country music in general.

Clams

Post by Clams »

Dude's looking pretty pumped up for mid 50's.

one belt loop

Post by one belt loop »

uh, yeah
Matt playing like an evil motherfucker w/ rhythm with a capital MPLAEMWR.

- bubba

jr29

Post by jr29 »

Smitty wrote:
corwritten with chuck prophet.
God, I love that song.

jr29

Post by jr29 »

Here's a little video piece about Chris that was released a year or so ago but it popped up again on my facebook this morning. Pretty nice watch if you have 12 minutes. The link doesn't send you right there, but it isn't difficult to figure out.
http://www.carbontv.com/carbonclass2016 ... tsRelaunch

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

I'm ready for some new music from Chris. It has been way too long.
A single shot rifle and a one eyed dog.