Artist of the week-Dec 3,2012- AC/DC

Know of a great band you think we'd like to hear about? Got some music news? Or just want to talk about music in general? Post it here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Mrs Swamp

Artist of the week-Dec 3,2012- AC/DC

Post by Mrs Swamp »

Warning >>> This is a long story :D
I was raised in a music loving family...
We always had the stereo on and we always danced around the living room singing and such... :)
My mom could sing opera and my dad could play the piano like Chopin ,Tchaikovsky or Franz Liszt...man he could play.
He started when he was 5 and my nanny saved up to get my dad the piano that was being sold at the local piano store and
when she finally got it he played and played that thing and on the weekend`s my nanny and papa would take him and his piano all
over town to let people hear him....he played at a lot of old folk`s home`s and church`s and wedding`s and such ...he just loved playing and
having people hear him. My uncle Gerhard in Germany has been in a band for 40 years and he plays the piano and accordion and he sing`s and just has a ball...
we would visit Germany occasionally and the Oktoberfest`s were the best....lot`s of music, dancing , parade`s , food and bier even
though at the time I didn't drink bier it was all so much fun...The last time I visited Germany was in 1975 and I was 15 and one night my
opa gave me a small glass of bier and said shhhhhhhhhhhhhh drink up young lady it will make ya feel good,,,so I was
15 and I wanted to feel good so I took one sip and was like holy crap wtf?...and looked at my opa and he was sitting there with a big smile on
his face saying " sehr gut ja " which mean`s taste good yes .....I just smiled and shook my head ....I didn't wanna hurt his feeling`s ,,,,..hehe!!
anyway`s I drank a lil with him that night and shorty afterward`s I remember wanting to get to sleep before my mom and oma came home ,....lol....

By the time I was 13 ,,I had a lil transistor radio attached to my hip and one day when I was about 15 I heard this lil band from Australia start playing on the radio and from that very moment I was an AC/DC fan. I knew when they came to town I was gonna be there on the front row rockin out , now the question was how and when? Well a few month`s later I hear that they were coming to my area and I had to be there. Later I hear the radio station was giving away concert tickets and I told my mom and she said you win the tickets and I will take you to the show so from that moment on I tried and tried to win and behold I WON!! I was known to win many many ticket`s to show`s back in the day....and with the rotary phone to..... It was August 1977 and I was so excited because I was gonna go and see my favorite band....I had won 2 tickets and my mom always made me take my lil sis to the show`s who was only 9 at the time....yep 9 ...I wish I knew why and what her reasoning was by that but hey I didn't mind one bit ....actually she went to all of the cool shows with me 8-) we had some really good time`s and we still share those stories
from time to time ....

In August of 1978 I saw them again and in December 1978 I met Robert and he also was a huge AC/DC fan
so that was a plus and we hit it off right away and I found out later that he was at both previous shows as well which was cool.

In October 1979 we saw AC/DC together along with my dad,who was the coolest dad ever and we all were just blown away soooooo
afterward` s Robert and I decided to try and get back stage because we were really wanting to meet our favorite band so we go to the back of the coliseum and the gate`s were open so we just walk right on in and people would look at us like we belonged and didn't say a thing ...so we were on a mission , a mission to find AC/DC...and in a distance we see a few folks going in and out of this room and a photographer was leaving so were were like , THEY ARE IN THERE....and
we walked right on in and no one said a thing except for Bon that is ....he walked right over to us and introduced him self ( as if we didn't know who he was ) :D and I was just kinda speechless and kinda shy back then ....lol....so Robert did most of the talking ...I was just taking it allllllllllll in.. .. Bon offered us some Heinys and started telling joke`s and such and later we had him autograph a business card that Robert had of his dads and he noticed it was a landscaping card and said to me"hey you need to come do my lawn " I was like well ok sure why not and he said " IN THE NUDE " I turned blood red and looked at Robert and he said go for it after all its Bon Scott and we all just laughed ..., he was such a nice guy and smiled all night and if we knew what we do today we would have invited him to the swamp where I`m sure he would have come with us because we have heard that Bon would just take off with his fans and then just show up in time for the next show . I`m just happy and honored that we had the chance to meet him so later on we gave hug`s and such and Bon went on his way with this groupie that was hanging around so we then mingle
with Malcolm, Cliff , and Paul and took a few pictures and got autographs and such ...the only one we didn't meet was Angus and they said he was passed out on the bus ...lol....and before the picture of Malcolm and I he said I`m way shorter than you please squat so I did and we laughed as he was singing Splish Splash I was taking a bath ,...,..,,,,anyway they were all so nice and we were just so excited to have met them....it was one of our highlight`s for sure.

A few of my favorite`s...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fmeiw1hiHZo
Everybody say`s Ive got big ball`s of fire :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_2-crCu6Z4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JImu-0qSqRU

The autographs...
Here are a few picture`s that I took during the show ....

On February 19th 1980 Bon died and we were just devastated and sad ,we just couldn't believe that our favorite singer was gone :(
R.I.P Bon we will never forget your kindness , your sense of humor and your music.

We miss you...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bon_Scott

Fast Forward >>>>>> 8-)
16 year`s Later they were coming to town and we wanted to go but we find out it`s the same day as the Gators season opener game so Robert asked our son Jessie what he would like to do and he picked the Gator game. I was gonna go no matter what so I asked my brother and he said sure.
A few day`s before the concert one of our customer`s wanted us to clean out their
garage and take it all away so we did and in that stuff was this barrel so Robert was like I have an idea that will get you back stage and I was like ohhhhh nooooooo what is this clever idea of your`s ? He then got the barrel and painted it all up to be a barrel of dynamite, he painted TNT on it and made straps so
I could wear it and that I did ...It appeared that I had nothing on but I was wearing shorts and a tube top ....my brother held a sign that said Rock and Roll and noise pollution and we walked around the coliseum a few time`s and hung out around the gate`s where the band`s usually go in and out and introduced myself to the security guards as they were having their picture`s taken with me and such .,.,.,.,.lol.....so I was kinda working my magic and becoming bud`s with them ...anyways later on when the band was on their way they let us know so we could be prepared and when the van pulled up they were smiling real big and giving us the thumbs up and such and they went on in ....well we waited for about an hour and my brother said he was gonna go in and check out the shirts and such and I was like I will be right in because I had to get dressed because I surely couldn't wear the barrel to the show ... :D so I go the the car
and get changed into regular clothes and was going to go in and I thought to myself let me check out the back one more time before heading into the show and as I was walking up by the wall I could hear someone say "where is that lady in the barrel"? So I ran up and was like I`m the lady in the barrel and he said wheres the barrel and I said in the car and he said the band wants to see you AND the barrel after the show and he handed me some back stage passes as he said the other is for the dude that was with you , I was ecstatic and thanked him and went to the seat, my brother was like well we tried and was like yeah we did (in a low sad voice) and then in a loud excited voice I said "and it worked " and showed him the passes ....yes he was elated as well.
The show was about to begin and this is Rosie,it was inflated for the song Whole lotta Rosie :P ....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQWJog7eYqY
So after the show we go right on in with all the cool folks ,,,.hahahaha.....and I take my 8 x 10 of me and Bon and all my picture`s of them in 1979 and they loved them , they gave me some heineken`s and my brother a bud or something and we all just kinda hung out and talked and such, now Brian didn't sign the picture in honor of Bon so my brother and him just hung out all night and as a matter of fact everyone thought that they were brothers .... at one point this gal wanted her boob`s signed by the band and she gave the marker to my brother and they all just laughed ....and another gal had whipped cream and gave it to Brian and said put it any where on me and lick it off , I was like OH MY and my brother was like IM NEXT ,,.,..lmao.....and she let him ....oh lordy.
I then got autographs and picture`s and all was good....It was great to be alive!!!
There were about 30 people backstage that night and all I know is I am glad I was one of them . AC/DC is will always be one of my top favorite band`s , yeah even when Im old ...I mean older ,....haha ;) I just know I will be a rockin old granny one day and I`m gonna love it.
With that said I pretty much love all of their music, some song`s more than
other`s but for the most part they still put on one hell of a show >>>>>> AC/DC rocks !!!!

AC/DC History 1 through 5 .....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7M788cOPon4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1s1LkQwAc8s
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N5IesrKAJC8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=akYUnL3SKiU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C41o86DNBtw

Me and Bon after they signed it in 1996
... :P

I love this picture..
Angus signing the barrel ...
Us with Phil and Cliff...
Us with Brian Johnson...
Angus signing The High Voltage album for Swamp
Me with Malcolm Young 79 and 96

Me with Cliff Williams 79 and 96

Me with Phil Rudd 79 and 96

Angus signed this one for Jessie ....

Took me 3 time`s to get that shot because he does it so fast...
Angus loved it
8-)

Well that`s my story and Im stickin to it ...
.. :mrgreen:

Let there be rock ~

1985 tour interview...

Some picture`s that I took in the late 80`s...

A couple of interview`s about their Black Ice Tour ...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C41o86DNBtw

Have a rockin week !!~
I've heard tales of what goes down there ...

Smitty

Re: Artist of the week-Dec 3,2012- AC/DC

Post by Smitty »

Did I ever mention the Swamps are my heroes?
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

Clams

Post by Clams »

Smitty wrote:Did I ever mention the Swamps are my heroes?

The Swamps never ever disappoint. EVER. Love them.
Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

When I was 13, I listened to AC/DC non-stop.

Some days, I wonder why I ever stopped (listening non stop I mean; I still listen). Great band. Critically underrated. Love the now-and-thens Mrs. Swamp! Great write up.

Duke Silver

Post by Duke Silver »

this was awesome
ain't no static on the gospel radio

RolanK
Location: drivin' home early Sunday morning through Bakersfield

Post by RolanK »

Nice one Mrs. Swamp! Really cool pics...
Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

I don't know how this one gets topped. Ever. Nice work Marina.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

Gang Green

Post by Gang Green »

I have to say I was never a fan of AC/DC, and while I enjoy hearing their songs once in a while, I don't imagine I'll ever be a big fan. But, this was one of the best features I've ever read. And, those pictures with Bon Scott? I have so many friends who would be truely jealous if they ever saw those.

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

This is one of my favorite Artist of the Week features ever. AC/DC was sort of an acquired taste for me. I was fortunate enough to see them in concert not long before Bon Scott passed away when they headlined a concert in Fayetteville, NC back in the late 70's that also included Nantucket and Cheap Trick (who opened). I was only vaguely familiar with AC/DC at the time but seeing them in concert was a very eye opening (and ear splitting) experience. I've never really been a hardcore fan either but as the years have passed I've acquired most of their Bon-era stuff little by little. I think if I was ever asked to play rock n' roll for someone that had never heard it before AC/DC would be very close to the top of the list. They just boil it down to it's very essence with absolutely no frills and no pretense.

Howlinwolf

Post by Howlinwolf »

Outstanding Mrs.Swamp - simply outstanding......

Van

Post by Van »

Great write up! Love AC/DC! Love the stories. See you guys in Athens!

Slipkid42

Post by Slipkid42 »

Love me some Swamps! They are Rock royalty. That was a truly amazing story, Marina (and yes, I'm jealous as hell).
Let There Be Rock & let AC/DC play forever. I saw them in 2009 & they still kick ass. Angus has more energy than is humanly possible (for a person a 1/4 his age even).
A thousand clusterfucks will not kill my tiny light

Steve French

Post by Steve French »

I enjoyed this a lot. :)

Thanks, and great to have that personal connection....
I've never taken a pissbreak during a DBT show but if I had it would have been during Dancing Ricky.

dime in the gutter

Post by dime in the gutter »

swamps for the win.

ramonz

Post by ramonz »

Haven't met The Swamps yet - can't wait to meet 'em.

Fantastic job. Love AC/DC.

The Black Canary

Post by The Black Canary »

Great!!!!!! WEll done!!!! they are my favorite good day/bad day play it loud till your ears bleed band!!!!
saw them for the first time softmore year of highschool 198?? and after that the rest is history!!!

Totally cool Marina!!!! love it love it love it!!!!
so what is it like living with your mommy again BWAHAHAHAHAH

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

If that doesn't put a smile on your face, nothing will. Brava, Mrs. S!!
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

Mrs Swamp

Post by Mrs Swamp »

Thank you all so much ,They were definitely 2 of the most memorable moment`s in my life 8-)

Swamp

Post by Swamp »

Hey Darlin,
You forgot my favorite picture from that story.
and the rest as they say is uh er uh, well somebodies history somewhere?

LuthierJustin

Post by LuthierJustin »

What about Hayseed Dixie?

LJ: 3DD's resident hipster

9GroveStreet

Post by 9GroveStreet »

Speaking of AC/DC covers, Mark Kozelek (from Red House Painters/Sun Kil Moon) did some great folk versions that are on a couple of albums:

Like a lot of Kozelek's stuff, you either love it or hate it. 88% of the time I find myself in the love it category, including this time.

Mrs Swamp

Post by Mrs Swamp »

Good morning everyone and thank you for all the comments and such.
Here are a couple of thing`s that that I forgot to mention.... when I won the ticket`s
to the AC/DC concert I also won this album and it had this letter in it so I thought Id
share it with ya also.....when I was backstage in 1996 Angus was like wow where did
ya get this and I said I won it , he was like wow it has not even been released to the
public yet so I thought that was pretty cool.... 8-)

As for Hayseed Dixie , we have the DVD....
and as for the Mark Kozelek video it was pretty cool , I love the different arrangement he
put on the song...Thank you for sharing !~.

Have a good week everyone......rock on!~

psychobillycadillac

Post by psychobillycadillac »

What a great write up, thanks! I saw them on the Razors Edge tour and I think I sacrificed a good 10% of my hearing that night, I was next to deaf the next morning and my ears rang for 3 days!

Kudzu Guillotine

34 years ago today:

Rocky

Post by Rocky »

OK I don't know how I never saw this before but I swear (hyperbole alert) this is one of the coolest things I ever saw on the internet.

I mean you got to meet, hang out and have beers with Bon Scott!!! Totally speechless right now.
Swamps rule.
By the time you drop them I'll be gone
And you'll be right where they fall the rest of your life

Kudzu Guillotine

Rocky wrote:OK I don't know how I never saw this before but I swear (hyperbole alert) this is one of the coolest things I ever saw on the internet.

Maybe because it's not included in the Artist of the Week Index thread. I'm sure it's just an oversight, hopefully someone can add it in there.

Lone Wolf1

Post by Lone Wolf1 »

Kudzu Guillotine

Lone Wolf1 wrote:http://theorstrahyun.blogspot.com.au/2014/04/rip-acdc-1973-2014.html

I just read that but I wish these websites/blogs would wait for confirmation from the actual source before publishing these articles. I guess it all goes back to the old saying that bad news travels fast, even when there may be no truth to it. Sort of like how people tried to put Jesse Winchester in the ground last week before his time was truly up.

AC/DC Not on Cusp of Retirement: Sources

Angus Young of AC/DC performs on stage on the first day of the Download Festival at
Donington Park on June 11, 2010 in Derby, England.

Redferns/Getty Images

Kudzu Guillotine

AC/DC: We are not retiring
Exclusive: Brian Johnson, the frontman of the rock band AC/DC, tells Jake Wallis Simons that rumours that the band are about to split up following concerns for the health of Malcolm Young are not true

AC/DC on stage in 2001 including (from left) Malcolm Young, Brian Johnson and Angus Young
Photo: Action Press/REX