Albums of the year

Know of a great band you think we'd like to hear about? Got some music news? Or just want to talk about music in general? Post it here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

kendix

Re: Albums of the year

Post by kendix »

I just heard about that Elephant Micah album from a Patterson list, but that's one of my favorite albums for sure.

Penny Lane wrote:this went into my top 5

That movie was amazing.
I'll write you a letter tomorrow. Tonight I can't hold a pen.

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

ScottyC wrote:So I am starting work on mine and the one thing that stands out to me is if you asked me last year who would probably be on my list I would have thought the Ryan Bingham, avetts, and band of horses would all make the cut. But I cannot rationalize putting any of them on my list. Just surprising to me. Three of my favorite artists and don't love any of those albums.

The Avetts album makes my list. First album of their's to really catch me.

That Bingham album is just an unmitigated pile of shit.

StevieRay
Location: A rougher ride but I saw more interesting people there

Post by StevieRay »

Team: here is a list of forty albums I liked well enough to purchase, and, listed purely in alphabetical order. Some of these I liked more than others. Some I could not put down. I simply do not have the heart to rank them. For one thing, placing Patterson Hood's stellar album at number one on a 3DD "best of" list is just not objective (I'm looking at you TC). That said: HLRITD surely BELONGS in that stratosphere (well done Mr. Hood). Will Johnson's album is right there also. Sometimes albums I had high hopes for I almost regretted spending the money on (Bob Dylan might be one of my all time favorites, but, this year he is no Neil Young). Some albums were just jaw-droppingly stunning (Bob Mould, Lee Bains). Hats off to the ladies on the list. Kathleen Edwards is a friggin rock star. Kelly Hogan's album is breathtakingly good. Also, I was particularly entranced by the Swedish sisters who are First Aid Kit. Live albums are automatically disqualified from the list as they may contain material from previous lists... thus not objective. I was surprised to find that purely from a number of plays in iTunes perspective, that Heartless Bastards was a top album. Nice work from first time solo artists Jack White and Craig Finn... sometimes we get our wish when we expect excellence. Calexico released their best album in years - it is surely top five material. Chuck Prophet, Alejandro Escovedo, and Todd Snyder each hit for par. Bonnie Raitt & Dr. John turned in "A" level material. It may have been a bit pretentious for Chris Robinson to turn in two separate titles for what rightfully ought to have been a double album - but, damn that material sounds good. I don't have enough superlatives for what Neil is doing right now... Americana might have been something of an off-beat "throw away," but Psychedelic Pill? Mercy.

All-in-all - a phenomenal year for music. It's great to be alive.

Anyway: here you go:

1. Alabama Shakes - Boys & Girls
2. Alejandro Escovedo - Big Station
3. Bob Dylan - Tempest
4. Bob Mould - Silver Age
5. Bonnie Raitt - Slipstream
6. Brandi Carlile - Bear Creek
7. Calexico - Algiers
8. The Catbirds - Catbirds Say Yeah
9. Chris Robinson Brotherhood - Big Moon Ritual / The Magic Door
10. Chuck Prophet - Temple Beautiful
11. Craig Finn - Clear Heart Full Eyes
12. Dinosaur Jr. - I Bet On Sky
13. The District Attorneys - Slowburner
14. Doc Dailey & Magnolia Devil - Catch The Presidents
15. Dr. John - Locked Down
16. The Felice Brothers - God Bless You Amigo
17. First Aid Kit - The Lion's Roar
18. Great Lake Swimmers - New Wild Everywhere
19. Heartless Bastards - Arrow
20. Jack White - Blunderbuss
21. Jay Farrar - New Multitudes
22. Jay Gonzalez - Mess of Happiness
23. John Hiatt - Mystic Pinball
24. Justin Townes Earle - Nothing's Gonna Change the Way You Feel About Me Now
25. Kathleen Edwards - Voyageur
26. Kelly Hogan - I Like To Keep Myself In Pain
27. Lee Bains III & The Glory Fires - There Is A Bomb In Gilead
28. Little Feat - Rooster Rag
29. Lucero - Women & Work
30. M. Ward - A Wasteland Companion
31. Magnolia Mountain - Town And Country
32. Mark Knopfler - Privateering
33. Neil Young & Crazy Horse - Psychedelic Pill
34. Patterson Hood - Heat Lightning Rumbles In The Distance
35. The Pollies - Where The Lies Begin
36. Some Dark Holler - Hollow Chest
37. Tift Merritt - Travelling Alone
38. Todd Snyder - Agnostic Hymns & Stoner Fables
39. Trampled By Turtles - Stars And Satellites
40. Will Johnson - Scorpion

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

This is the AOTY list I posted on another site I frequent. Its a sports site, so I definitely describe music a little differently than I would hear

-Chuck Prophet "Temple Beautiful". If Tom Petty had grown up in a big city doing a lot of blow, instead of being a stoner from the swamp, it would sound like this.

-Lucero "Women & Work". Probably the most commercially accessible offering from these guys. I love the punchy horns and bar-room rock and roll here. Some of these tracks have been picked up on ESPN's college football broadcasts.

-Patterson Hood "Heat Lightning Rumbles in the Distance". Drive-By Trucker's frontman's second solo album. Quite a bit different than what you'd expect from him. Less loud guitars, more pianos and banjos. A great "fall" record.

-Doc Dailey & Magnolia Devil "Catch the Presidents". If there was any artistic justice, these guys would be superstars. Combining bluegrass revival with power pop, they write some stupid-catchy songs that will probably get covered by some Nashville approved d-bag with a more radio friendly voice. Isn't much of these guys on Youtube, but check out "She Has Her Moments" on Spotify.

-The Avett Brothers "The Carpenter". I'm guessing 105.1 plays the hell out of this, and for good reason. Insanely catchy. A perfect blend of bluegrass, piano-drenched rock and roll, and bouncy Beatle-esque harmonies. These guys are big for a reason. "I Never Knew You" is my favorite track here, but no studio versions on youtube surprisingly.

-Todd Snider "Stoner Hymns & Agnostic Fables". Classic Snider. Lyrically, exactly what you'd expect from him. Musically, he goes out in some different directions with a more lo-fi production style featuring some upright bass, electric hollow-body guitar work, and some creepy/awesome violin work from Amanda Shires (aka Mrs. Jason Isbell). His cover of Jimmy Buffett's "West Nashville Grand Ballroom Gown" is stunning.

-Gaslight Anthem "Handwritten". Another step forward for these guys. Bringing in Brendan O'Brien to produce was genius. They move farther and farther from any shades of emo/punk and embrace a howling, driving hard-rock via Bruce sound. The outro of Mullholland Drive just makes you want to jam your fist through your steering wheel.

-Lee Bains III & The Glory Fires "There is a Bomb in Gilead". Charging southern rock crossed with just enough pop sheen and punk raggedness. Lee Bains III was a former member of the Dexateens, but this doesn't really sound like a Dexateens album.

-Trampled By Turtles "Stars and Satellites". This was a great year for bluegrass inflected rock bands. I just started listening to these guys in the past couple weeks, but I ******* LOVE this album already. Just excellent stuff here.

-Jack White "Blunderbuss". Pushes himself in some new directions here and the results are great. Its still classic Jack White, but there's plenty of left turns that work very well.

-Heartless Bastards "Arrow". Possibly my album of the year. It rocks, grooves, and restores your faith in quality music. And the singer is a chick. And she's great.

-Jason Isbell & the 400 Unit "Live From Alabama". This is how a live album is supposed to sound. The recording is pristine, the mix of each instrument is perfect, and the band is absolutely smoking through a nice cross-section of Isbell's catalog both from his days with Drive-By Truckers and his solo career. Fantastic cover of Neil Young's "Like a Hurricane".

-Japandroids "Celebration Rock". It is exactly what the title implies.

brstigerfan

Post by brstigerfan »

1. Kendrick Lamar. Good Kid Maad City: the first hip hop album that I've gone crazy over in some time. It's easily my favorite album of the year.

2. Jack White "Blunderbuss"
3. Frank Ocean "Channel Orange"
4. Japandroids "Celebration Rock"
5. Justin Townes Earle "Nothing's gonna change...."
6. Patterson Hood "Heat Lighning..."
7. Fiona Apple "The Idler Wheel"
8. Lana Del Rey "Born to Die" Fuck the haters, I love this.
9. Alabama Shakes "Boys and Girls"
10. Neil Young and Crazy Horse "Psychedelic Pill"

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

StevieRay wrote:For one thing, placing Patterson Hood's stellar album at number one on a 3DD "best of" list is just not objective (I'm looking at you TC).

Objective or not, it was definitely the best release I've heard this year by far. Wouldn't be honest to list it otherwise.
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Smitty wrote:
StevieRay wrote:For one thing, placing Patterson Hood's stellar album at number one on a 3DD "best of" list is just not objective (I'm looking at you TC).

Objective or not, it was definitely the best release I've heard this year by far. Wouldn't be honest to list it otherwise.

Yep. That's what I told him. I'm not objective nor do I claim to be but that record is just damned fine.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

kendix

Post by kendix »

Why would the word "objective" ever appear in the same sentence as music opinion? There's really no such thing as an objective opinion and there's really no such thing as an evaluation of music that's not an opinion.
I'll write you a letter tomorrow. Tonight I can't hold a pen.

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

We're supposed to be objective here? Really?

beagle001

Post by beagle001 »

I made it through Patterson's album twice. Gonna give it another try but I don't think it'll make my list...

claretkid

Post by claretkid »

Ok here's my list.

1. The Russian Wilds - Howlin' Rain
2. Big Moon Ritual - Chris Robinson Brotherhood
3. Candy Store Kid - Ian Siegal & The Mississippi Mudbloods
4. Blunderbuss - Jack White
5. Rabbit Inn Rebellion - State Radio
6. Live From Alabama - Jason Isbell
7. The Magic Door - Chris Robinson Brotherhood
8. Locked Down - Dr John
9. Heat Lightning Rumbles In The Distance - Patterson Hood
10. A Soundtack To The Movie That Wasn't There - Jesse Davey

RevMatt

Post by RevMatt »

Ok, I know I get all kinds of crap from people here for being such a partisan homer when it comes to DBT. So, for the past four weeks I stopped listening to Heat Lightning Rumbles in the Distance and started getting seriously up to speed on other 2012 releases. I checked out lots of artists recommended on this thread. I also asked other people whose opinions I respect for AOTY recommendations. I found some great records that made my top ten list. However....

...this morning I broke my month long hiatus and listened to Heat Lightning Rumbles in the Distance. I like that album more than the new Neil Young. I like it more than Cooley's or Isbell's live albums. I like it more than Bill Fay which will probably be number 2 on my list. I like it more than either Alabama Shakes and Lee Bains III and the Glory Fires, two bands whose live shows are so great they can win over a roomful of skeptics who never heard them before. I like it more than Bod Dylan, Jack White and Brue Springsteen, none of whom will make it into my top ten. It is better than Justin Townes Earle's record. I think it is a better record than my fellow Jersey rockers who came up through New Brunswick, The Gaslight Anthem. I like it better than Lucero's Women and Work.

My partisan homerism notwithstanding, HLRITD is my number one record of 2012. I made a very conscious effort to make a different choice. But not only is this a collection of fantastic songs, it is also a great album as a whole. I don't think there is anyone better at sequencing an album than Patterson Hood. He can do it in such a way that even records that are not concept albums demonstrate thematic unity. (Go Go Boots being a prime example of this.) Let Patterson go to town on a concept album or song cycle and it is lights out. We forget that this is an artist who, while still a relatively unknown, put out Southern Rock Opera in 2001, a record that rock critics deservedly mention in the same breath as rock opera/concept albums like Tommy, Quadrophenia, Frank's Wild Years and Zen Arcade. HLRITD is like a great novel or memoir. Several individual songs are among the best he's ever written. "After The Damage", "Come Back Little Star", "Disappear" and "12:01" are my favorites. This record not only shines when compared to other albums released by great artists in 2012, it can also stand alongside the top tier Drive By Truckers albums.

The playing on this record is fantastic as well. I was fortunate enough to catch one of the shows with The Downtown Rumblers. Jay, EZ Beat, the guy who played the cello all laid down fantastic tracks. This is an entirely different musical approach to Patterson's songs than any DBT album.

So, after not listening to this record for an entire month I put it on the turntable this morning. It is better even than I thought it was.
I have nowhere else to go. There is no demand in the priesthood for elderly drug addicts

Gang Green

Post by Gang Green »

Rev, I would have to agree with you, except I would add Better than the Truth to After the Damage, Come back little star, Disappear and 12:01 to songs I can't stop thinking about even when I'm not listening to them. For me, this album is number one with Lee Bains a close second. Great analysis, thanks

Hank

Post by Hank »

In no particular order...

Jason Isbell-Live From Alabama
Mike Ryan-Night Comes Falling
Shooter Jennings-Family Man
Aaron Lewis-The Road
Cody Canada & The Departed-Adventus
Lindi Ortega-Cigarettes & Truckstops
Chris Knight-Little Victories
Turnpike Troubadours-Goodbye Normal Street
Wade Bowen-The Given
Lincoln Durham-The Shovel vs. the Howling Bones

I see a lot of albums listed that I haven't had a chance to hear.. I'll have to look them up. Thanks guys! 8-)

scotto

Post by scotto »

Quickly becoming one of my favorites of the year:

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

beagle001 wrote:I made it through Patterson's album twice. Gonna give it another try but I don't think it'll make my list...

Wow. Hard to understand.

After months of listening I still hear new things every time. Betty Ford sounded like a bit of a throwaway in comparison to some of the other songs at first and then one day...BAM. one of my favorites now. A truly brilliant record. That being said the Lee Bains and Doc Dailey records are nearly as good. My real surprise this year was Justin Townes Earle though. I could barely make it through that one when it came out but I revisited a month ago and I love it now. Music is a strange deal.

beagle001

Post by beagle001 »

I had the same problem with JTE's new album. First listen was hard. Then as songs popped up on shuffle, I began to realize I liked a lot of them. I think it's simply the order of new songs that plays a big part of how we portray a new album

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

True, but to me sequencing and production are what I judge albums on. There are a lot of bad albums filled with great songs. Isbell's Sirens of the Ditch is a perfect example. Nearly every song is great but it's a rough listen.

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:True, but to me sequencing and production are what I judge albums on. There are a lot of bad albums filled with great songs. Isbell's Sirens of the Ditch is a perfect example. Nearly every song is great but it's a rough listen.

Interesting.

When I first read this statement I thought to myself "TC done lost his mind", but the more I thought about it, I continue to find Here We Rest to be Jason's best album, even though I think Sirens of the Ditch is a better collection of songs.

I've always been a big fan of proper sequencing and always feel that proper production for the songs at hand is a really big deal, but I've always felt that songwriting trumps either by a country mile. But maybe not.

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:
beagle001 wrote:I made it through Patterson's album twice. Gonna give it another try but I don't think it'll make my list...

Wow. Hard to understand.

After months of listening I still hear new things every time. Betty Ford sounded like a bit of a throwaway in comparison to some of the other songs at first and then one day...BAM. one of my favorites now. A truly brilliant record. That being said the Lee Bains and Doc Dailey records are nearly as good. My real surprise this year was Justin Townes Earle though. I could barely make it through that one when it came out but I revisited a month ago and I love it now. Music is a strange deal.

I don't find myself spending all that much time with Heat Lightning these days, but every time I've sat down and listened to it, I've found it provoked some intense feelings/thoughts, and there was a masterful level of craft to the songwriting, the arrangements, and it all fell together really well. Its definitely in my best of 2012, but I don't think I've listened to it anywhere near as much as Doc Dailey or Chuck Prophet's new records.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

I need to revisit the Chuck Prophet record. It didn't click with me when I first listened. That's kind of how I am with him though, I enjoy his stuff but it doesn't take root at all. enjoyable but not memorable. I also need to spend some time with the Chris Knight record.

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:I need to revisit the Chuck Prophet record. It didn't click with me when I first listened. That's kind of how I am with him though, I enjoy his stuff but it doesn't take root at all. enjoyable but not memorable. I also need to spend some time with the Chris Knight record.

It was one of those records that the first listens were enjoyable, but didn't seem to stick with me.

Then I would start catching myself humming songs from it all the time, and it didn't leave the CD player in my car for a good month.

RevMatt

Post by RevMatt »

When it comes to sequencing an album I think Patterson Hood is one of the best ever. Sequencing is particularly hard in the post-vinyl age when albums average 13 to 15 songs instead of 10 to 12. The sequecing not only effects how smooth a listen the record is but also how the songs are interpreted in relation to the other songs.
I have nowhere else to go. There is no demand in the priesthood for elderly drug addicts

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

I loved the JTE from the first listen; I need to go back and give Lucero another chance, because for the most part I couldn't stand it. Also still don't understand the Gaslight Anthem love, but to each his own.
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Smitty wrote:I loved the JTE from the first listen; I need to go back and give Lucero another chance, because for the most part I couldn't stand it. Also still don't understand the Gaslight Anthem love, but to each his own.

Yeah, Gaslight Anthem do absolutely nothing for me but, like you said, to each their own. The funny thing with the Lucero record is with the last record I hated it for a year then finally came around to it so I was looking forward to this one. When it came out I liked it fine but didn't spend tons of time with it, but recently when I dug it out I found it damn near unlistenable. I'm not sure what my problem is with those boys but the only album I ever really listen to and love is That Much Further West.

Clams

Post by Clams »

My best of list will probably include these 10...
(these are in no particular order - I'm still trying to figure that part out)

Zoe Muth - Old Gold
Patterson- Heat Lightning
Ray Wylie Hubbard - Grifter's Hymnal
Chris Knight - Little Victories
New Multitudes
Muddy Waters & the Stones - Live at the Checkerboard (this one is a new issue of an old show - so is it even eligible for a best-of list?)
Todd Snider - Agnostic Hymns
Corb Lund - Cabin fever
Bama Shakes - Boys & Girls
Isbell's Live From Alabama

11-14 will probably include - Cary Hudson's Mississippi Moon, Neil & Crazy Horse's Psychedelic Pill, Kathleen Edwards' Voyaguer and Lee Bains.
If you don't run you rust

beagle001

Post by beagle001 »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:I need to revisit the Chuck Prophet record. It didn't click with me when I first listened. That's kind of how I am with him though, I enjoy his stuff but it doesn't take root at all. enjoyable but not memorable. I also need to spend some time with the Chris Knight record.

The Chris Knight album is right up there for me. Maybe, in part, because it's been so long since we've had a new album from him. It's nothing out of the ordinary for him, except there is a hidden optimism in it compared to the rest of his catalog.

Lucero's Women and Work is also way up there, but it definitely has it's downfalls, which makes it easy for me to understand how a lot of folks don't like it. Even hardcore fans are pissed. The last 4 or 5 songs are what really brings it back up for me.

The new American Aquarium is an album I was high on at first, but then it fell off quickly. Some good songs, and a good album, just not great. It was just the right album to come out at the right time

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Clams wrote:My best of list will probably include these 10...
(these are in no particular order - I'm still trying to figure that part out)

Zoe Muth - Old Gold
Patterson- Heat Lightning
Ray Wylie Hubbard - Grifter's Hymnal
Chris Knight - Little Victories
New Multitudes
Muddy Waters & the Stones - Live at the Checkerboard (this one is a new issue of an old show - so is it even eligible for a best-of list?)
Todd Snider - Agnostic Hymns
Corb Lund - Cabin fever
Bama Shakes - Boys & Girls
Isbell's Live From Alabama

11-14 will probably include - Cary Hudson's Mississippi Moon, Neil & Crazy Horse's Psychedelic Pill, Kathleen Edwards' Voyaguer and Lee Bains.

Grifter's Hymnal belongs on my list too. I guess I kept thinking it was from last year.

What's everyone's opinion about live albums on a year's best list? I've always been taught that was verboten but curious what others think. If those were in included Isbell's record, Cooley's record and Futurebirds Stovall Seney Stovall have a place on my list too.

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

I'm a terrible human being. I think I only bought three new albums this year. I liked them all a whole lot. I'll rank them in order of number of plays:

Jay Gonzalez, Mess of Happiness
Patterson Hood, Heat Lightning Rumbles in the Distance
Big Bad Gina, Lake of Dreams (I would have listened to this one more, but my daughter is a big fan, and this one has some spicy material, so I've held it a little closer than usual)
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

tinnitus photography

Post by tinnitus photography »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:What's everyone's opinion about live albums on a year's best list? I've always been taught that was verboten but curious what others think.

personally, i think that reissues, live LPs and compilations (of previously released material) don't belong, or should be in another category.