Great Music Quotes

Know of a great band you think we'd like to hear about? Got some music news? Or just want to talk about music in general? Post it here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

whatwouldcooleydo?

Re: Great Music Quotes

Post by whatwouldcooleydo? »

dime in the gutter wrote:
whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:Neil Young: You know, I don't edit my songs. "I Am a Child" is like that. "What is the color when black is burnt?" It's a charcoal color, I guess, but what the fuck am I talking about?

another Neil, replying to the question, "Is it better to burn out or rust?":
Rust implies you aren't using anything, that you're sitting there and letting the elements eat you up. Burning up means you're cruising through the elements so fucking fast that you're actually burning, and your circuits, instead of corroding, are fucking disintegrating. You're going so fast, you're actually fucking the elements, becoming one with the elements, turning to gas. That's why it's better to burn out

bro is a beauty.

tonight's the night.......... yes it is
Son, this ain't a dream no more, it's the real thing

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

I believe Neil personified (if not created) the disenchanted rock star with the unkept beard
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

The Black Canary

Post by The Black Canary »

Your prison is walking through this world all alone

The sky won't snow and the sun won't shine

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

"I used to run, but I kept spilling my drink" DLR

cortez the killer

Post by cortez the killer »

Smitty wrote:I believe Neil personified (if not created) the disenchanted rock star with the unkept beard

He also made seersucker cool.
You are entitled to your opinion, but you are not entitled to your own facts.
- DPM

Patman

Post by Patman »

"I think people who truly can live a life in music are telling the world, 'You can have my love, you can have my smiles. Forget the bad parts, you don't need them. Just take the music, the goodness, because it's the very best, and it's the part I give most willingly'"

-George Harrison

cortez the killer

It's very easy for people to forget what rock and roll really is. Look man, I'm forty-seven years old, and I grew up in Wyoming, and I stole cars and drove five hundred miles to watch Little Richard, and I wanna tell you somethin' - when I saw this nigger come out in a gold suit, fuckin' hair flyin', and leap up onstage and come down on his piano bangin' and goin' fuckin' nuts in Salt Lake City, I went, "Hey man, I wanna be like him. This is what I want." Even today he's a scary dude. He's the real thing. Rock and roll is not sedate, not safe, has truly nothin' to do with money or anything. It's like wind, rain, fire - it's elemental. Fourteen-year-old kids, they don't think, they feel. Rock and roll is fire, man, FIRE. It's the attitude. It's thumbing your nose at the world.

- Manning Philander "David" Briggs
- DPM

littlemamma

Post by littlemamma »

cortez the killer wrote:
Smitty wrote:I believe Neil personified (if not created) the disenchanted rock star with the unkept beard

He also made seersucker cool.

by keeping cool in naturally cooling seersucker, isn't seersucker cool before he made it that way?
Just a thought...
(see TC!!! seersucker is cool! lol!)
NSFW

dime in the gutter

Post by dime in the gutter »

cortez the killer wrote:It's very easy for people to forget what rock and roll really is. Look man, I'm forty-seven years old, and I grew up in Wyoming, and I stole cars and drove five hundred miles to watch Little Richard, and I wanna tell you somethin' - when I saw this nigger come out in a gold suit, fuckin' hair flyin', and leap up onstage and come down on his piano bangin' and goin' fuckin' nuts in Salt Lake City, I went, "Hey man, I wanna be like him. This is what I want." Even today he's a scary dude. He's the real thing. Rock and roll is not sedate, not safe, has truly nothin' to do with money or anything. It's like wind, rain, fire - it's elemental. Fourteen-year-old kids, they don't think, they feel. Rock and roll is fire, man, FIRE. It's the attitude. It's thumbing your nose at the world.

- Manning Philander "David" Briggs

PUNK ROCK

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

"I've always felt that blues, rock 'n' roll and country are just about a beat apart."-Waylon Jennings (1937-2002)

"We don't like their sound, and guitar music is on the way out." -Decca Recording Company rejecting the Beatles, 1962

"It occurred to me by intuition, and music was the driving force behind that intuition. My discovery was the result of musical perception." (When asked about his theory of relativity) - Albert Einstein

"I don't know anything about music, In my line you don't have to." -Elvis Presley (1935-1977)

"Most of us go to our graves with our music still inside of us." -unknown

"Anything that is too stupid to be spoken is sung." -Voltaire (1694-1778)

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." - Hunter S. Thompson

The Black Canary

"I ain't good lookin' but I'm somebody's angel child"

Penny Lane

Post by Penny Lane »

MORE BARN!
In my blood, there's gasoline..

LuthierJustin

Post by LuthierJustin »

"Those glasses were eating my face"- Geddy Lee
:lol:
LJ: 3DD's resident hipster

cortez the killer

'He was so ordinary he merges with the crowd in my memory.'
- Mrs. Lilly McGill (Teacher, Georgiana, Alabama, on her former pupil, Hank Williams.)
- DPM

cortez the killer

"I don't give two splats of an old negro junkie's vomit for your politico-philosophical treatises, kiddies. I like noise. I like big-ass vicious noise that makes my head spin. I wanna feel it whipping through me like a fucking jolt. We're so dilapidated and crushed by our pathetic existence we need it like a fix."
- Steve Albini
- DPM

cortez the killer

“There’s only two kinds of music: the blues and zippety doo-dah."
-Townes Van Zandt
- DPM

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

cortez the killer wrote:“There’s only two kinds of music: the blues and zippety doo-dah."
-Townes Van Zandt

"Breaking even is ending up in Purgatory as far as I can tell. I figure there's heaven, purgatory, hell and the blues. I'm trying to crawl up from the blues, purgatory for me would be... Home Sweet Home!" - TVZ

Interviewer: How come most of your songs are sad songs?
Townes van Zandt: I don't think they're all that sad. I have a few that aren't sad, they're like... hopeless. Totally hopeless situation and the rest aren't sad they're just the way it goes. I mean you know you don't think life's sad?

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

"Other people write about the bling and the booty. I write about the pus and the gnats. To me, that's beautiful."
Vic Chesnutt

cortez the killer

"That was the first time (the 1991 Neil Young tour) I ever felt what it was like to be a girl in a band, I really felt sorry for like Joni Mitchell. I mean, he's [Neil] very sweet and everything but he's part of that generation and that way of thinking. It sounds like it's changed, but in certain level, in rock, it's just there."
- Kim Gordon
- DPM

The Black Canary

"I'm been eating like I'm out on bail, collard greens and chicken wings...."
so what is it like living with your mommy again BWAHAHAHAHAH

oxfordcrowe

Post by oxfordcrowe »

R.L. Burnside on killing a guy during a dice game....

"I didn't mean to kill nobody ... I just meant to shoot the sonofabitch in the head. Him dying was between him and the Lord."

That's good stuff there.

TedsTireFire

Post by TedsTireFire »

Garth Brooks did for Country Music what pantyhose did for finger fucking- Waylon Jennings
See you at the ROCK SHOW!!!

sactochris

Post by sactochris »

TedsTireFire wrote:Garth Brooks did for Country Music what pantyhose did for finger fucking- Waylon Jennings

That's priceless!
Keep calm and have a cigar

RevMatt

Post by RevMatt »

"Classic hard rock began in 1970 and largely, though not entirely, burned out by the end of that decade. We're speaking here of bands like UFO, Alice Cooper, Uriah Heep, Blue Oyster Cult, Grand Funk Railroad, Slade, Robin Trower, Budgie, ZZ Top, Free, Rush, Foghat, Bad Company, Montrose, AC/DC, Lynyrd Skynryd, and loads more. If your listening habits include such bands from this period you won't be surprised to hear the documentarian simplicity in the way they were produced. If you don't listen to such records, get your fag hands off my book immediately!" Joe Carducci, Rock and The Pop Narcotic: Testament for the Electric Church
I have nowhere else to go. There is no demand in the priesthood for elderly drug addicts

tinnitus photography

Post by tinnitus photography »

RevMatt wrote:"Classic hard rock began in 1970 and largely, though not entirely, burned out by the end of that decade. We're speaking here of bands like UFO, Alice Cooper, Uriah Heep, Blue Oyster Cult, Grand Funk Railroad, Slade, Robin Trower, Budgie, ZZ Top, Free, Rush, Foghat, Bad Company, Montrose, AC/DC, Lynyrd Skynryd, and loads more. If your listening habits include such bands from this period you won't be surprised to hear the documentarian simplicity in the way they were produced. If you don't listen to such records, get your fag hands off my book immediately!" Joe Carducci, Rock and The Pop Narcotic: Testament for the Electric Church

:lol: :lol:

i should re-read my copy.

RevMatt

Post by RevMatt »

tinnitus photography wrote:
RevMatt wrote:"Classic hard rock began in 1970 and largely, though not entirely, burned out by the end of that decade. We're speaking here of bands like UFO, Alice Cooper, Uriah Heep, Blue Oyster Cult, Grand Funk Railroad, Slade, Robin Trower, Budgie, ZZ Top, Free, Rush, Foghat, Bad Company, Montrose, AC/DC, Lynyrd Skynryd, and loads more. If your listening habits include such bands from this period you won't be surprised to hear the documentarian simplicity in the way they were produced. If you don't listen to such records, get your fag hands off my book immediately!" Joe Carducci, Rock and The Pop Narcotic: Testament for the Electric Church

:lol: :lol:

i should re-read my copy.

Now is the time to do it. I am working on a RATPN article for the new 3DD Feature of the Week. Hope to have it in the can by next week.
I have nowhere else to go. There is no demand in the priesthood for elderly drug addicts

tinnitus photography

Post by tinnitus photography »

cortez the killer wrote:"I don't give two splats of an old negro junkie's vomit for your politico-philosophical treatises, kiddies. I like noise. I like big-ass vicious noise that makes my head spin. I wanna feel it whipping through me like a fucking jolt. We're so dilapidated and crushed by our pathetic existence we need it like a fix."
- Steve Albini

:D

cortez the killer

"I'm a part of Willie Nelson's world and I love it, but at the same time, I'm part of the Grateful Dead's world. One night I might be playing twin fiddles at the Broken Spoke and the next night I'll be down at Antone's playing blues. In that way Texas is a paradise, because all that music is here."
- Doug Sahm
- DPM

Flea

Post by Flea »

Question: "If you had to put into 25 words or less what it is you're trying to say when you get up on stage, what would it be?"

Answer: LOOK AT ME!

Joe Strummer
Now it's dark.

Ty Webb

Post by Ty Webb »

Music is an indirect force for change, because it provides an anchor against human tragedy. In this sense, it works towards a reconciled world. It can also be the direct experience of change. At certain points during some shows, the reconciled world is already here, at least in that second, at that place. Operation Ivy was very lucky to have experienced this. Those seconds reveal that the momentum that drives a subculture is more important than any particular band. The momentum is made of all the people who stay interested, and keep their sense of urgency and hope.

- Jesse Michaels, liner notes to Energy
I'm sleeping under strange, strange skies.