2013 Album Releases

Know of a great band you think we'd like to hear about? Got some music news? Or just want to talk about music in general? Post it here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Smitty

2013 Album Releases

Post by Smitty »

“The Music is You: A Tribute to John Denver” Coming Feb 2013
15 years after his death and 40 years after the release of his widely beloved song “Rocky Mountain High,” ATO Records will celebrate John Denver’s life and music with The Music Is You: A Tribute to John Denver, slated for February 2013 release. The album features covers of Denver’s most popular songs by a diverse group of artists including Dave Matthews, My Morning Jacket, Train, Amos Lee, Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros, Brandi Carlile, Lucinda Williams, Josh Ritter, Old Crow Medicine Show, Kathleen Edwards (produced by Jim James), Brett Dennen, Milow, Mary Chapin Carpenter, Blind Pilot, J Mascis, Sharon Van Etten, Evan Dando, and more artists to be announced shortly. A portion of the proceeds will be benefit environmental initiatives in John’s name.

Track Listing for John Denver: The Music Is You
“Take Me To Tomorrow” by Dave Matthews
“Leaving, on a Jet Plane” by My Morning Jacket
“Sunshine On My Shoulders” by Train
“Wooden Indian” by Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros
“Some Days are Diamonds” by Amos Lee
(Song selection TBA) by Lucinda Williams
“Take Me Home, Country Roads” by Brandi Carlile
“Back Home Again” by Old Crow Medicine Show
“Darcy Farrow” by Josh Ritter and Barnstar
“All of My Memories” by Kathleen Edwards
“Prisoners” by J Mascis and Sharon Van Etten
“Annie’s Song” by Brett Dennen and Milow
“Looking For Space” by Evan Dando
“Eagle and the Hawk” by Blind Pilot
“I Guess He’d Rather Be In Colorado” by Mary Chapin Carpenter
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

LBRod

Re: 2013 Album Releases

Post by LBRod »

I was dragged to a John Denver show many years ago and he was great.
Don't hurt people, and don't take their stuff.

LuthierJustin

Post by LuthierJustin »

My first concert was John Denver, on his last tour
LJ: 3DD's resident hipster

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

Not sure if and when this will see the light of day but he's also done a new record with his current band, Sensational Space Shifters.

Robert Plant Records 'Rockin'' New Material With Buddy Miller

Robert Plant and Buddy Miller
Erika Goldring/Getty Images

dogstar

Post by dogstar »

New Richard Thompson album early next year. He's playing in the UK in February so would imagine it'll be out by then.

Richard Thompson News -
New Trio Record to be released in 2013!

Get ready for new music! The recordings Richard made with producer Buddy Miller in Nashville earlier this year are slat...ed to be released in early 2013.

Richard made the record at Buddy’s home studio and the tracks feature RT Trio regulars Michael Jerome on drums and Taras Prodaniuk on bass with additional help from bassist Dennis Crouch and fiddle great Stuart Duncan. Also, you’ll be hearing the angelic voices of Alison Krauss and Siobhan Kennedy on backing vocals. Buddy Miller has previously produced records for/with Robert Plant, Emmylou Harris, Shawn Colvin, Solomon Burke, Carolina Chocolate Drops as well as the Grammy Award winning "Downtown Church" album for Patty Griffin.

When asked how he felt about recording with Richard, Miller said, "I’m absolutely thrilled to be working with one of my all-time musical heroes and very intimidated to be in the same room with him since I stole all my guitar licks from him!"

"Guitars talk. If you really want to write a song, ask a guitar." Neil Young

vacant

Post by vacant »

New Clutch album around March.

Clutch fans will be hearing a lean 'n' mean version of the band when the Maryland group releases its 10th album, "Earth Rocker," in the spring of 2013.

"We really wanted to just write very concise, heavy songs," bassist Dan Maines tells Billboard about the follow-up to 2009's "Strange Cousins From the West." "We didn't want to go out on too many tangents on this one and just kept the songs...I don't want to say simple, but maybe a little bit more straightforward and just very upbeat, tempo-wise. I'd say a lot of these songs are some of the fastest songs we've written. We wanted to make sure (the album) has a good, high energy that maintains itself throughout the whole record."

Maines says the quartet has recorded 14 songs with producer Machine, which are currently being mixed. "The hardest part is waiting to hear the final mixes," Maines says. "But just listening to the basic stuff we did, everything sounds great. I'm really excited."

Maines says fans might recognize some of the "Earth Rocker" songs that Clutch has been playing live on recent tours, including "Crucial Velocity" and "The Wolfman is Coming Out," which was previously known as "Newt" for former House Speaker Newt Gingrich.

"Some of the songs we've been playing on previous tours have gone through some changes between then and the actual recording," Maines acknowledges. And he promises that those coming out to Clutch's upcoming dates -- which start Halloween night in Flint, Mich., -- will likely be able to sample even more of "Earth Rocker's" material.

"We're not afraid to play any of these songs before the record actually comes out -- we actually kind of prefer that," Maines says. "That's what we enjoy playing, is the new stuff. So I would say with certainly that we're gonna play at least a handful of the songs off the new album at these shows."

one belt loop

Post by one belt loop »

Kudzu Guillotine wrote:Not sure if and when this will see the light of day but he's also done a new record with his current band, Sensational Space Shifters.

Robert Plant Records 'Rockin'' New Material With Buddy Miller

Robert Plant and Buddy Miller
Erika Goldring/Getty Images

like!
Matt playing like an evil motherfucker w/ rhythm with a capital MPLAEMWR.

- bubba

Shakespeare

Post by Shakespeare »

this was already my most anticipated album, now im even more pumped

http://www.antiquiet.com/news/2012/11/d ... stone-age/

Duke Silver

Post by Duke Silver »

Shakespeare wrote:this was already my most anticipated album, now im even more pumped

x2, can't wait for this
ain't no static on the gospel radio

Duke Silver

Post by Duke Silver »

Felice Bros. cancelled some tour dates to go into the studio early next year. Hopefully they'll have something out in 2013. It'll be interesting to see where they go from Celebration, Florida, which was divisive, to say the least.

Kudzu Guillotine

First track from the new Camper Van Beethoven album La Costa Perdida which comes out on January 22nd. More on the new record from Billboard here.

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Duke Silver wrote:
Shakespeare wrote:this was already my most anticipated album, now im even more pumped

x2, can't wait for this

x3. I would love to hear what Era Vulgaris sounded like with Dave.

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Duke Silver wrote:Felice Bros. cancelled some tour dates to go into the studio early next year. Hopefully they'll have something out in 2013. It'll be interesting to see where they go from Celebration, Florida, which was divisive, to say the least.

I'm hoping for something more akin to God Bless You Amigo.

TruckerTomer

Post by TruckerTomer »

Jim James first full solo album, "Regions of Light and Sound of God" - February 5th.

http://jimjames.com/

"Know Til Now":
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IDRALrVXJ_s
"I used to hate the fool in me, but only in the morning. Now I tolerate him all day long"

Kudzu Guillotine

Samantha Crain talking about "Never Going Back", a tune from her upcoming new album Kid Face which comes out on February 19th. I liked her last one, You (Understood) but not nearly as much as her first full length album with the Midnight Shivers called Songs In the Night. This first cut sounds much more in line with that sound (folk/rock) than the indie rock vibe she seemed to be going for with You (Understood).

Last edited by Kudzu Guillotine on Mon Nov 12, 2012 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Duke Silver

Post by Duke Silver »

Iowan wrote:
Duke Silver wrote:Felice Bros. cancelled some tour dates to go into the studio early next year. Hopefully they'll have something out in 2013. It'll be interesting to see where they go from Celebration, Florida, which was divisive, to say the least.

I'm hoping for something more akin to God Bless You Amigo.

I wouldn't mind that either. I love Celebration, but GBYA gets a lot more plays from me these days.

LBRod

Post by LBRod »

Kudzu Guillotine wrote:Samantha Crain talking about "Never Going Back", a tune from her upcoming new album Kid Face which comes out on February 19th. I liked her last one, You (Understood) but not nearly as much as her first full length album with the Midnight Shivers called Songs In the Night. This first cut sounds much more in line with that sound (folk/rock) than the indie rock vibe she seemed to be going for with You (Understood).

I saw her a few moths ago opening for somebody (I forget), and she was thoroughly captivating.
It was one of those rare occasions when one person with a guitar can make a room full of disinterested people pay attention.
Don't hurt people, and don't take their stuff.

Kudzu Guillotine

LBRod wrote:
Kudzu Guillotine wrote:Samantha Crain talking about "Never Going Back", a tune from her upcoming new album Kid Face which comes out on February 19th. I liked her last one, You (Understood) but not nearly as much as her first full length album with the Midnight Shivers called Songs In the Night. This first cut sounds much more in line with that sound (folk/rock) than the indie rock vibe she seemed to be going for with You (Understood).

I saw her a few moths ago opening for somebody (I forget), and she was thoroughly captivating.
It was one of those rare occasions when one person with a guitar can make a room full of disinterested people pay attention.

The first time I saw her was probably roughly four years ago when she and the Midnight Shivers played Record Store Day at Schoolkids Records in Raleigh. Thing is, it caught me completely by surprise as I had absolutely no knowledge of her performance beforehand. However, one of my friends had been talking her up and I'd recently read about her in one of the last issues of No Depression's bookazine series. I was hooked from that moment on. The second time I saw her, she was on a bill with Frontier Ruckus, the show that made me a big fan of theirs. The last time I saw Samantha she was playing at a place called Deep South in Raleigh but the audience was none too attentive. In fact, there were people that had paid good money to get in that were standing in front of the stage with their backs to her carrying on conversations as though she wasn't even there. When it came time to perform her song "Up On the Table" from You (Understood) she grabbed a stool and played the song standing on top of it. Aside from few douchebags who continued to chat as though she wasn't there, she got everyone else's attention. I really hate to see people treat performers like that, especially ones of Samantha's caliber. Not surprisingly she hasn't performed at Deep South since. The last time she was through here she did a few shows with American Aquarium which hopefully brought her to a larger audience. She most definitely deserves it.

Kudzu Guillotine

Mount Moriah's second album is due for release on February 26. For those into the pre-order thing you can do that here.

Kudzu Guillotine

Jimi Hendrix' People, Hell and Angels is due for release on March 5th.

More Hendrix from the vault. This piece from Rolling Stone includes video of producer Eddie Kramer debuting a track called "Somewhere".

dogstar

Post by dogstar »

New Low album

We are excited to release our next record The Invisible Way on March 19, 2013 (March 18 in the UK) on Sub Pop Records. The record was produced by Wilco’s Jeff Tweedy, engineered by Tom Schick and recorded in Wilco’s studio The Loft in Chicago, IL, this fall.

“While driving through Chicago on tour, we finally stopped to visit Wilco at their studio, The Loft. They had invited us to come check it out several times over the years, but this would finally be the day…What really converted us was hearing the new Mavis Staples tracks they were working on – big, simple, raw and intimate. Plans were made then and there.” - Alan

Watch the The Invisible Way Teaser Video
Check out photos from the session on Low's Facebook Page

We also have a new six-song digital live set called Plays Nice Places that includes a new track called "Waiting" and a version of "Words" featuring Death Cab for Cutie's Benjamin Gibbard on bass and vocals. The songs were recorded at various historic theaters on our April 2012 tour with DCFC. Download Plays Nice Places HERE and feel free to share it with a friend who would enjoy. The track listing is below:

Words (featuring Benjamin Gibbard)
Waiting
Sunflowers
Witches
Pissing
Murderer

A European tour has been confirmed to begin April 24, 2013 in the UK at the Glee Club in Birmingham and finishes May 18 in Biarritz, France at Atabal. US March/April dates will be announced in early 2013 so stay tuned for updates. The complete tour dates are listed below – tickets for all are on sale now.
"Guitars talk. If you really want to write a song, ask a guitar." Neil Young

Penny Lane

Post by Penny Lane »

In my blood, there's gasoline..

vacant

Post by vacant »

At the Mother Hips show in Philly last night Tim Bluhm said they have an album finished and are looking into how to release it.

Penny Lane

Post by Penny Lane »

Frank Turner 2013

In my blood, there's gasoline..

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

Kudzu Guillotine

The first single from the new Rodney Crowell/Emmylou Harris album Old Yellow Moon which comes out on February 26th.

Kudzu Guillotine

Pitchfork has debuted a track from Mount Moriah's Miracle Temple which drops on February 26th:

Mount Moriah "Younger Days"

Duke Silver

Post by Duke Silver »

http://www.joshritter.com/news/

Hey everyone,

I have a new album coming out on March 5, 2013. It’s called The Beast in Its Tracks. You can hear a song from it right here.

I wrote and recorded this record in the 18 months after my marriage had fallen apart. All heartbreak is awful – my broken heart wasn’t unique. But writing these songs was helping me get through the night and I didn’t have the strength to care or question.

It felt like a different record from the start. Far from the grand, sweeping feel of the songs on So Runs the World Away, these new ones felt like rocks in the shoe, hard little nuggets of whatever they were, be it spite, remorse, or happiness. I told all this to Sam Kassirer, my producer and friend. If we recorded these songs, which felt so personal, their starkness needed a corresponding simplicity of production. I hadn’t composed this stuff, I’d scrawled it down, just trying to keep ahead of the heartbreak, and they needed to be recorded like that.

Listening to it now makes me very proud. I can’t wait to share it with all of you.

Love,
Josh

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

The Civil Wars: VH1 Unplugged will be releasing on January 15, 2013, exclusively on iTunes. Audio and Video.

TRACK-LISTING
1. I’ve Got This Friend
2. Kingdom Come
3. Sour Times
4. Poison & Wine
5. Barton Hollow
6. 20 Years
7. Billie Jean
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

Kudzu Guillotine