2013 Album Releases

Know of a great band you think we'd like to hear about? Got some music news? Or just want to talk about music in general? Post it here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Kudzu Guillotine

Re: 2013 Album Releases

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

I'm surprised there hasn't been any mention of this here. Or, maybe there was and I missed it. In any event, My Bloody Valentine released their new album last night at midnight. Or more accurately, they uploaded it to their website. I don't think it's available for sale (in physical form at least) for a few more days now. You can listen to it here.

Kudzu Guillotine

Robyn Hitchcock's new one is out March 5th.

New album from Josh Rouse which is due on March 19th.

dogstar

Post by dogstar »

I hope BTB can control himself

The new James Blake album 'Overgrown' will be released 8th April 2013.
"Guitars talk. If you really want to write a song, ask a guitar." Neil Young

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

http://www.americansongwriter.com/2013/ ... 1971-1972/
Townes Van Zandt
Sunshine Boy: The Unheard Studio Sessions and Demos 1971 – 1972
(Omnivore Recordings)
Rating: 5 stars (out of 5)

The Colin Escott-penned liner notes for the newly released collection from Omnivore Recordings, Townes Van Zandt – Sunshine Boy: The Unheard Studio Sessions and Demos 1971-1972, needs but a few words near the essay’s end to sum up how most Van Zandt fans will feel about this double-disc offering.

“The alternate versions are like seeing a friend in a new light. The new songs are simply good to have when it seemed as if the barrel was empty.”

When it comes to Van Zandt, it’s tough to argue with such a simple but loving sentiment. And to a vast extent, this release is a triumph and a resplendent showcase for Ft. Worth, Texas-born Van Zandt, who died on New Year’s Day in 1997. The years of 1971 and 1972, from which these selections are culled, were part of a wonderfully genius period of time for the man who’s legend has become much greater in death than it was during his life, when his name managed to cut a formidable figure in only some circles. From 1968 through 1972, six studio albums yielded many of the songs that are now considered to be indispensable elements of the theoretical country songwriter’s handbook, especially south of Tennessee. Some of these songs are featured in beautifully stripped-down manners. And in a few cases, as with “To Live is To Fly,” a song is offered once on each disc, offering different versions of the familiar tune.

In certain scenarios, putting cuts of mere demo-recordings onto an album would be something that only material-starved completists of that artist might be interested in. Sunshine Boy, however, can serve as a TVZ starter-kit, with a few compelling nuggets for the long-time fans thoughtfully added. Such is the case, thanks to an expertly curated track-list where covers, classics and lesser-known tunes are seamlessly woven together.

While it’s tough to feel as though another version of “Pancho and Lefty” is really needed, it doesn’t take long to realize that Van Zandt’s signature tune, without strings, horns and the dated production, indeed makes this one that should find its way beside the popular versions of Emmylou Harris and Willie Nelson and Merle Haggard. This take on his signature song beams with the warmth of a Cali-country tune that would’ve fit into the catalog of Buffalo Springfield quite nicely.

The two versions of “To Live is to Fly” (drums bring a bit of punch to the version on Disc One and Disc Two offers the superior, strictly acoustic take) and “You Are Not Needed Now,” also prove that simple, clean instrumentation and engaging stories, that never fail to move the listener, are timeless.

Van Zandt’s voice, aside from the words themselves, is the key- and underappreciated – instrument. The plaintive honesty that emanates from his singing lends the songs simplicity that many artists would have a tough time dealing with successfully.

It’s in the blues realm Van Zandt loved so dearly where he lets his howling flag fly. The almost-spoken flatness in both different-but-awesome takes on “Mr. Mudd and Mr. Gold” is amped up in a greasy, spirited rendition of “Who Do You Love.” The same can be said for perhaps the record’s brightest revelation, the previously unheard, country-blues stomper “Diamond Heel Blues.”

Yodeling is a jubilant vocal vehicle in the re-working of Jimmie Rodgers’ gem “T is For Texas.” More than any other track out of the 28 offered, this cover finds Van Zandt happy and seemingly free of the whiskey-drenched demons he so often entertained. On the darker end of that spectrum however, another regular cover selection of his provides a glimpse into the bleakness that would eventually envelope him beyond rescue.

The two takes on the Rolling Stones classic “Dead Flowers,” which bares the obvious, ominous mention of “a needle and a spoon,” show a somber Townes who raises his voice for only a brief moment during the chorus of the version on Disc Two, which, thanks to the piano and distinctive drum, sounds as though he recorded it with The Band in Big Pink. It’s also tough to look past the after-life ethereality of “Heavenly Houseboat Blues,” which Van Zandt wrote with Susanna Clark. On this album, the honky-tonk hymn carries a melody that closely resembles that of the Carter Family classic, “No Depression in Heaven.” Van Zandt’s tumultuous life proffers many opportunities to argue about whether art imitates life, or if it’s the other way around.

Adding to the fly-on-the-studio-wall feel of the proceedings, we can hear Van Zandt count-off before starting a couple of songs. That intimacy is why this record is, well, important. More people than ever want to grow close to this artist that isn’t any longer among us.

Because of the mastery Van Zandt displayed in his living years and the mythology that has developed since his death, Sunshine Boy is more than a new album of ragged tid-bits pulled out of an engineer’s closet. Each song forces the listener to stop and wonder where Van Zandt’s mind was taking him as a specific song was cut, or what might’ve been “really meant” when a certain line was sung. Such unavoidable thoughts and questions give this beautiful double record the weight of an historical document.

Unsurprisingly, Van Zandt’s own words from his pristine, yet bare-bones take on “Tower Song” sum up this album’s beauty and pain, and perhaps too, the dismal end of his life on Earth.

“You built your tower tall and strong, don’t you see, it’s got to fall someday.”
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

Kudzu Guillotine

The title track (well, sorta) to Kurt Vile's Waking On A Pretty Daze which comes out April 9th.

Kudzu Guillotine

The Black Crowes “Wiser For The Time” available everywhere on March 19th. “Wiser For The Time” will be available exclusively on vinyl and as a digital download. The vinyl box set contains 4 discs, eight sides packed with 26 songs (15 acoustic & 11 electric) from the band’s five-night, sold out NYC performances from 2010.

More info here.

Kudzu Guillotine

Kudzu Guillotine wrote:Duane Allman Celebrated With Massive Box Set
Seven-disc collection includes 129 songs, liner notes from daughter Galadrielle

Relix is streaming Skydog: The Duane Allman Retrospective here.

TruckerTomer

Post by TruckerTomer »

Kudzu Guillotine wrote:Image
The Black Crowes “Wiser For The Time” available everywhere on March 19th. “Wiser For The Time” will be available exclusively on vinyl and as a digital download. The vinyl box set contains 4 discs, eight sides packed with 26 songs (15 acoustic & 11 electric) from the band’s five-night, sold out NYC performances from 2010.

More info here.

can't wait for this. I was at this 5 shows run in New York and waiting since then to hear this...Got to see many top favorites and really waiting to re-experience some of them. Also few days after I'm flying to see them yet again in the UK :)
"I used to hate the fool in me, but only in the morning. Now I tolerate him all day long"

kendix

Post by kendix »

I'm really enjoying "Almanac" by Widowspeak.
I'll write you a letter tomorrow. Tonight I can't hold a pen.

tinnitus photography

Post by tinnitus photography »

dee dee wrote:
Smitty wrote:
Tequila Cowboy wrote:Our very own jimmyjack with his band Wooden Wand has a new one out today. I just had my first listen and it's damn good. Buy it. It's streaming here:

http://www.spin.com/articles/wooden-wan ... ues-stream

Maybe the best WW album I've heard so far.

Perfect for mornings when you get up 3 hours before anyone else, hide in your private place, do what you do, and put the headphones on. Fantastic album WW. :mrgreen:

a song about Jhonn Balance....

RIGHT FUCKING ON!

great song, Mr. Wand.

Kudzu Guillotine

Mike McCready: New Pearl Jam Album 'This Year, for Sure'
Guitarist to run in New Orleans half-marathon Sunday in support of former NFL star

Mike McCready of Pearl Jam
Kevin Mazur/WireImage

dee dee

Post by dee dee »

Richard Buckner to release "Surrounded" sometime in 2013.

In this new year, I'll release a cluster of songs called SURROUNDED. There will be a brief period of "visibility" while file-sharers ingest and expel like bulimics on an art bender, but without the guilt. I'll attempt some shows at well-intentioned venues, though a few of them will be maliciously inadequate. I'll try to come and go, here and there, with limited interactions, but a few determined-to-thoughtlessness deer will leap into the parkway. Responding in offense, vacuum-scribblers will fill themselves with disordered jingoisms ("informed by a diet of", etc), unaware that they're the next musty tradition. Breezy whimsters will introduce themselves as backseat redeemers, but turn out to be fair-weather hobbyists. So much will be expected from all camps and no one will be satisfied.

Time won't be wasted, though. Reflection is an ongoing work and the moments will hang on all of the survivors like hopeful ticks. As my truck turns 600,000 and I become a squared sum, there will be no closure while trolling through the various over-valued infinites.

So much will be misinterpreted and/or forgotten. These are my predictions for 2013.

Send me your undeserved expectations: @BucknerTweets.

So, Bye.

http://www.richardbuckner.com/#!read

Kudzu Guillotine

New track (and video) from Steve Earle's The Low Highway which is out on April 16th.

Steve Earle "Invisible"

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

New record from The National in May
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

Kudzu Guillotine

Kudzu Guillotine wrote:New track (and video) from Steve Earle's The Low Highway which is out on April 16th.

Steve Earle "Invisible"

The video for "Invisible" is now on YouTube:

Kudzu Guillotine

Shinyribs (aka Kevin Russell of the Gourds) has just made 9 tracks from his second album, Gulf Coast Museum, available for immediate download at Bandcamp. Anyone that pre-orders the album will be sent a link to the complete record on the day of release on April 16th. A CD version will be available on that day as well with the vinyl dropping sometime in June. You can download and/or listen to those 9 tracks here.

Kudzu Guillotine

In this new article from Flagpole, it's confirmed that a 25th anniversary edition of R.E.M.'s Green will be released in May. I saw these photos posted a while back on the Zac Recording Studios website that indicate some of the shows that were used in Tourfilm are being digitized. I'm not sure what, if anything, that has to do with the Green reissue but I'm guessing the bonus disc will be from one of these concerts. I'd love to see an expanded version of Tourfilm as well. Maybe that'll be coming in 2014 when it turns 25.

vacant

Post by vacant »

Dead Confederate's In The Marrow comes out on 4/16. As does the Meat Puppets' Rat Farm.

Kudzu Guillotine

According to his Facebook page, Guy Clark is going to release a new album this spring called My Favorite Picture of You.

Penny Lane

Post by Penny Lane »

a lot of you might have heard the leak or bought it by now but i'm very excited this is finally streaming..other than 'song for Zula', today is my first listen:

http://www.npr.org/2013/03/03/172979166/first-listen-phosphorescent-muchacho
In my blood, there's gasoline..

Kudzu Guillotine

Drivin' n' Cryin' debuted a track called "The Little Record Store Just Around The Corner" from their upcoming EP, Songs From The Psychedelic Time Clock at Blurt Online a few days ago. It'll be out on April 16th.

MP3: New Drivin N Cryin EP Track

rlipps

Post by rlipps »

Austin Lucas has a new album supposed to be out in late spring/early summer. He did a Kickstarter project for it back in November and the goal was met. Really looking forward to it, especially since Glossary is going to be the backing band for the entire album. Here's a couple versions of "Alone in Memphis", which I'm assuming will be on the album. One is an acoustic version and the other is a partial live version with Glossary.

shuffle

Post by shuffle »

just wanted to second dee dee's foxygen recommendation. it's a great lp.
http://twitter.com/birdsneedfeet
http://www.birdsneedfeet.com/

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

shuffle wrote:just wanted to second dee dee's foxygen recommendation. it's a great lp.

Shuffle! Where ya been man?
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

shuffle

Post by shuffle »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:
shuffle wrote:just wanted to second dee dee's foxygen recommendation. it's a great lp.

Shuffle! Where ya been man?

busy haha. uni, work, life, blog, writing etc etc. haven't really had much time to spare in the past couple of months. outside of twitter pretty much all my internet socializing has dropped to zero...hoping to change that, but who knows :)
http://twitter.com/birdsneedfeet
http://www.birdsneedfeet.com/

Kudzu Guillotine

Complete details on the 25th anniversary edition of R.E.M.'s Green here from Slicing Up Eyeballs. The reissue drops on May 14th that includes a bonus disc of their concert from Greensboro Coliseum which is 21 tracks long. 5 additional tracks from the same concert will be included on a live EP that comes out on Record Store Day on April 20th. Like other concerts that have been part of some of the albums from the reissue series (Murmur, Reckoning) the cover songs have been cut. I'm not sure why that it is but it's very frustrating.

RMD

Post by RMD »

Kudzu Guillotine wrote:Complete details on the 25th anniversary edition of R.E.M.'s Green here from Slicing Up Eyeballs. The reissue drops on May 14th that includes a bonus disc of their concert from Greensboro Coliseum which is 21 tracks long. 5 additional tracks from the same concert will be included on a live EP that comes out on Record Store Day on April 20th. Like other concerts that have been part of some of the albums from the reissue series (Murmur, Reckoning) the cover songs have been cut. I'm not sure why that it is but it's very frustrating.

Aaaah, the album that killed my love of R.E.M. I liked a few tracks on Green, and even saw them live on this tour. But for me it was the big new record deal sell out. I was bummed. My "little" band was gone.

Kudzu Guillotine

RMD wrote:
Kudzu Guillotine wrote:Complete details on the 25th anniversary edition of R.E.M.'s Green here from Slicing Up Eyeballs. The reissue drops on May 14th that includes a bonus disc of their concert from Greensboro Coliseum which is 21 tracks long. 5 additional tracks from the same concert will be included on a live EP that comes out on Record Store Day on April 20th. Like other concerts that have been part of some of the albums from the reissue series (Murmur, Reckoning) the cover songs have been cut. I'm not sure why that it is but it's very frustrating.

Aaaah, the album that killed my love of R.E.M. I liked a few tracks on Green, and even saw them live on this tour. But for me it was the big new record deal sell out. I was bummed. My "little" band was gone.

I loved it and Green only enhanced my love of R.E.M. I also thought it was very cool how they were able to transition so smoothly from smaller venues (my first two shows were on college campuses) to larger ones. I saw them twice on the Green tour, once at the Dean Dome in Chapel Hill and then Greensboro. The Greensboro show was more hits-laden since they were filming it for Tourfilm but that didn't really bother me (hell I didn't even really notice until a friend pointed it out years later) as they also played plenty of deep cuts. I loved both shows but Greensboro will always stand out to me because it was the day after the Berlin Wall fell. I know the "sell out" angle is a well worn topic (not just when it comes to R.E.M. but in general) but I've never perceived Green or them signing with Warner Brothers in that way. I guess some fans wanted them to keep recording albums that sounded like Murmur, Reckoning and Fables over and over again and to stay on a small label. I'm not one of them. Personally I was very happy for them. Then again, I've never been the kind of fan that suddenly stops liking a band once they're not a well kept secret anymore. I've never understood that mentality.

RMD

Post by RMD »

As for REM and Green, it wasn't about them not being a secret anymore, for me the new material matched the new big record deal. At the time I also was happy for them, but then I heard the album.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

There are some fantastic songs on Green. It doesn't sound like a big record deal sell out album to me at all
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever