The Heavy Metal Thread

Know of a great band you think we'd like to hear about? Got some music news? Or just want to talk about music in general? Post it here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

RevMatt

The Heavy Metal Thread

Post by RevMatt »

I don't think we've done a thread devoted to all things metal.

Guess I'll start with my Top 5 Metal Bands in Chronological Order

1) Black Sabbath
2) Motorhead
3) Metallica
4) Kyuss
5) Opeth
I have nowhere else to go. There is no demand in the priesthood for elderly drug addicts

LuthierJustin

Re: The Heavy Metal Thread

Post by LuthierJustin »

I wouldn't really consider Kyuss "heavy metal", they're more Stoner Rock/sludge
LJ: 3DD's resident hipster

Slipkid42

Post by Slipkid42 »

LuthierJustin wrote:I wouldn't really consider Kyuss "heavy metal", they're more Stoner Rock/sludge

Quit splittin' hairs. Metal covers a lot of territory.
Here's a few I like from the dawn of metal:

A thousand clusterfucks will not kill my tiny light

RevMatt

Post by RevMatt »

Hesh on Heavy Metal
I have nowhere else to go. There is no demand in the priesthood for elderly drug addicts

LuthierJustin

Post by LuthierJustin »

If we're counting Drone, doom, stoner rock as metal
SUNN O)))
Earth
Sleep
Wolves In The Throne Room
Burzum
Boris

LuthierJustin

Post by LuthierJustin »

Ohh man, forgot TOOL and Isis

RevMatt

Post by RevMatt »

LuthierJustin wrote:If we're counting Drone, doom, stoner rock as metal
SUNN O)))
Earth
Sleep
Wolves In The Throne Room
Burzum
Boris

Originally Stoner rock was metal. I love Stoner Metal because in the eighties metal lost its syncopation, first with Iron Maiden and then, for good I believe, with Metalicca. I don't necessarily object to metal's lack of syncopation -- loved Metalicca, Slayer, Anthrax and that whole crew -- but I started to miss it. All of those seventies bands swung, even Motorhead, albeit at a much faster tempo.

I've never been a Pantera fan. I've given them plenty of chances but they never moved me. But I understand how influencial they are and that so many bands since them have a bit of Pantera in their sound.

Bill in CT

Post by Bill in CT »

RevMatt wrote:Originally Stoner rock was metal. I love Stoner Metal because in the eighties metal lost its syncopation, first with Iron Maiden and then, for good I believe, with Metalicca. I don't necessarily object to metal's lack of syncopation -- loved Metalicca, Slayer, Anthrax and that whole crew -- but I started to miss it. All of those seventies bands swung, even Motorhead, albeit at a much faster tempo.

For a speed metal album that swings, check out Rust In Peace by Megadeth. A big part of why is drummer Nick Menza. He probably got it from his father Don Menza, a jazz saxophone player.
The closer you get to the meaning
The sooner you'll know that you're dreaming

dime in the gutter

Post by dime in the gutter »

not trolling here.....but is dave mustain as big a douche as he appears to be?

Bill in CT

Post by Bill in CT »

dime in the gutter wrote:not trolling here.....but is dave mustain as big a douche as he appears to be?

The closer you get to the meaning
The sooner you'll know that you're dreaming

Steve French

Post by Steve French »

Thread fail! no one has mentioned Led Zeppelin!??!??!?!?

I am just piping up to say that my favourite "new" (to me) band discovery this year has been Mastodon. From Atlanta Georgia. Concept albums! large guitars! incomprehensible vocals!

They're awesome. Ive posted a bunch of links to their stuff before, but to re-hash

Steve French wrote:One of my other friends posted this youtube clip a while ago:

Which I found to be intriguing. So I bought the album. And the rest, as they say....... I now own the entire Mastodon back catalogue (including the early cookie monster stuff) and have been listening obsessively to it for a while now.

Here's one more from their latest album. This is the best Pink Floyd tribute I have ever heard.

If you were going to give them a whirl, start with The Hunter, then maybe Crack the Skye. Or boots and all with Remission ("Crusher Destroyer" "Mother Puncher").

I'm old, and I like metal again. :)
I've never taken a pissbreak during a DBT show but if I had it would have been during Dancing Ricky.

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

Steve French wrote:Thread fail! no one has mentioned Led Zeppelin!??!??!?!?

Maybe because Zeppelin were more multifaceted than just that part of their sound. I think a lot of people credit "Born To Be Wild" by Steppenwolf as far as giving hard rock the "heavy metal" moniker but these days I don't think that term really fits them. Same thing for Zeppelin, even though at one time it most definitely did.

LuthierJustin

Post by LuthierJustin »

This is amazing

RevMatt

Post by RevMatt »

Metal is one facet of Led Zeppelin. But there is also the Fairport Convention influenced English folk, the traditional blues and whatever you would want to classify In Through The Out Door, an album I've always liked but is atypical Zeppelin.

Steve French

Post by Steve French »

Kudzu Guillotine wrote:
Steve French wrote:Thread fail! no one has mentioned Led Zeppelin!??!??!?!?

Maybe because Zeppelin were more multifaceted than just that part of their sound. I think a lot of people credit "Born To Be Wild" by Steppenwolf as far as giving hard rock the "heavy metal" moniker but these days I don't think that term really fits them. Same thing for Zeppelin, even though at one time it most definitely did.

Same a Deep Purple in a way. NOw they'e "classic rock" but in the day they were regarded as "heavy"

I've bought a couple of records by this Swedish thrash metal outfit called "Gurd" lately (its "drug" spelt backwards \m/ ): I actually think their songs are better than their albums, but I really really like this song:

I've never taken a pissbreak during a DBT show but if I had it would have been during Dancing Ricky.

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

RevMatt wrote:I've never been a Pantera fan. I've given them plenty of chances but they never moved me. But I understand how influencial they are and that so many bands since them have a bit of Pantera in their sound.

Used to love me some Pantera (as well as Down). One of the few metal bands I can actually listen to.

Although Phil Anselmo is a grade-A douchebag.
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

Steve French wrote:Same a Deep Purple in a way. NOw they'e "classic rock" but in the day they were regarded as "heavy"

Maybe it's just me but I've never considered "Classic Rock" to be genre. A radio format? Yes, a genre of music? No. And if it is, I've never seen anyone clearly define it as such. By the way, I'm not trying to nitpick, I just feel very strongly about the whole Classic Rock thing in the sense that it does a whole of artists a tremendous disservice.

blackwll

Post by blackwll »

1. Black Sabbath/Heaven and Hell/Ozzy
2. Iron Maiden
3. Motorhead
4. Rush (1973-1981)
5. Deep Purple/Rainbow

I suppose we should give Dio a posthumous award for being in two of these bands, as well as leading a righteous rock band himself.

Well, it's a list anyway. as subjective and meaningful as any. I guess I omitted Zeppelin for the reasons stated (great blues/folk band tagged with the metal label willingly)

BTW, Les Claypool did a great version of Dogs a number of years ago. Speaking of Floyd, Waters signed on to the Levon Helm tribute at the Meadowlands next week. Great concert in an intimate venue.

LuthierJustin

Post by LuthierJustin »

blackwll wrote:BTW, Les Claypool did a great version of Dogs a number of years ago. Speaking of Floyd, Waters signed on to the Levon Helm tribute at the Meadowlands next week. Great concert in an intimate venue.

Beebs

Post by Beebs »

I can't wait for some metal in the metal thread. It's gonna be awesome.
Beebs is not a ragey man

tinnitus photography

Post by tinnitus photography »

Beebs wrote:I can't wait for some metal in the metal thread. It's gonna be awesome.

:lol:

tinnitus photography

Sabbath is the undisputed king of metal, on that everyone agrees right?

other metal* bands that i really like:

YOB
Sleep
Boris (up until Rainbow...since then it's been a shit show)
Sleep
Electric Wizard
Graveyard
Most things related to Wino (St Vitus, Spirit Caravan, Hidden Hand, etc)
Agalloch
some Burzum (mostly Filosefem, which is a masterpiece)
Harvey Milk
Melvins
Witchcraft
Windhand
Witchsorrow
Penance
Pentagram
Church Of Misery
Celtic Frost
Neurosis
High On Fire
Slayer
Ufomammut
Lord Vicar
Orchid
Elder

i really don't like a lot of the 80s metal bands...i definitely have some Judas Priest songs i like, but Maiden never did much for me, and the whole NWOBHM likewise didn't excite me. Not a big Metallica fan either. i find Slayer a lot more interesting and listenable.

* like most genres, it's open to interpretation...Lemmy claims Motorhead is just a rock and roll band.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

I think we can all agree: Metal Bands have the most laughably cheesy band names in the history of music
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

tinnitus photography

Zip City wrote:I think we can all agree: Metal Bands have the most laughably cheesy band names in the history of music

and some of the most awesome ones.

but i'll leave you to your Mumford and Sons and Avett Brothers and Delta Spirits.

Shakespeare

Post by Shakespeare »

Zip City wrote:I think we can all agree: Metal Bands have the most laughably cheesy band names in the history of music

all the ones tinnitus listed are badass

ruthy2705

Post by ruthy2705 »

1.Judas Priest
2.Dio
3.Black Sabbath
4.Accept
5.Iron Maiden

LuthierJustin

Post by LuthierJustin »

Beebs wrote:I can't wait for some metal in the metal thread. It's gonna be awesome.

Here ya go, some good ole hair metal, just for you

LuthierJustin

Post by LuthierJustin »

tinnitus photography wrote:

but i'll leave you to your Mumford and Sons and Avett Brothers and Delta Spirits.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

LuthierJustin wrote:
tinnitus photography wrote:

You two should get a room at the Music Snob Inn :lol:
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever