Led Zeppelin

Know of a great band you think we'd like to hear about? Got some music news? Or just want to talk about music in general? Post it here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Kudzu Guillotine

Re: Led Zeppelin

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

Kudzu Guillotine

Kudzu Guillotine

Trailer for Led Zeppelin III:

Flea

Post by Flea »

Don't think I'll repurchase the Zep catalog unless there are more Viking Kitties

Now it's dark.

Kudzu Guillotine

I have no doubt that there's a similarity between the two songs or that Page even lifted the riff but, just like when Jake Holmes sued Page for "Dazed and Confused" a few years ago (which was evidently settled out of court) shouldn't these artists have sued Zeppelin back when these songs were first released rather than nearly 40 years later?

Did Led Zeppelin steal “Stairway to Heaven”? Legendary band facing lawsuit from former tour mates

**Edited to Add

According to this article, "Spirit and California's family have waited until now to challenge the song's authorship because they did not have the means to pay attorneys".

211poundsofpork

Post by 211poundsofpork »

Not even going to get started on this one... Discussed 80 billion times and back again. There is no way Spirit could have written a song like Stairway. Were they an inspiration for the song? Yes. Do they deserve a songwriting credit? I don't think so - at least not in the way that Jake Holmes or WIllie Dixon does.

Kudzu Guillotine

211poundsofpork wrote:Not even going to get started on this one... Discussed 80 billion times and back again. There is no way Spirit could have written a song like Stairway. Were they an inspiration for the song? Yes. Do they deserve a songwriting credit? I don't think so - at least not in the way that Jake Holmes or WIllie Dixon does.

I actually wasn't aware of "Taurus" until a few years ago but I agree with you on the Zeppelin plagiarism issue. They are most definitely guilty of it but there are a whole lot of people out there that use it as a way to constantly deride Zeppelin even though they have far more original material than songs where they borrowed (or stole) from other artists. I can understand not being a fan simply because they're not your cup of tea but to get hung up on the plagiarism thing as a stumbling block is a whole other issue entirely. Everyone that's ever picked up a musical instrument is guilty of it to one degree or another, it's just that very few are as high profile as Led Zeppelin. Which, by the way, doesn't excuse them from not crediting the likes of Willie Dixon to start with.

Flea

Post by Flea »

Listening to that Spirit song, you could also make the case that David Gilmour stole his guitar licks on "Is There Anybody Out There?" from the same song. Nothing to hear here, move along.

Starting at about 1' 10":

Now it's dark.

211poundsofpork

Kudzu Guillotine wrote:
211poundsofpork wrote:Not even going to get started on this one... Discussed 80 billion times and back again. There is no way Spirit could have written a song like Stairway. Were they an inspiration for the song? Yes. Do they deserve a songwriting credit? I don't think so - at least not in the way that Jake Holmes or WIllie Dixon does.

I actually wasn't aware of "Taurus" until a few years ago but I agree with you on the Zeppelin plagiarism issue. They are most definitely guilty of it but there are a whole lot of people out there that use it as a way to constantly deride Zeppelin even though they have far more original material than songs where they borrowed (or stole) from other artists. I can understand not being a fan simply because they're not your cup of tea but to get hung up on the plagiarism thing as a stumbling block is a whole other issue entirely. Everyone that's ever picked up a musical instrument is guilty of it to one degree or another, it's just that very few are as high profile as Led Zeppelin. Which, by the way, doesn't excuse them from not crediting the likes of Willie Dixon to start with.

Agreed

Barely_Oakely

Post by Barely_Oakely »

I'm assuming that this has been posted before, possibly by me, but I'm watching/listening to it as I type. This might sound rather hipster-ish of me, but I really dig their first stuff. I think the spectacle that was Led Zeppelin by the mid seventies is a little too much for me. I like some of their later stuff, but the early period where they were a working experimental blues band is what I really love. Something about Dragon-Telecaster Page (not dragon pants) is just so raw, so cool. You can just look at him and know that he's still getting off on being able to use his session playing chops to do what he does best with an awesome band.
"Allman Brother's up and windows down." LB3

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Barely_Oakely wrote:I'm assuming that this has been posted before, possibly by me, but I'm watching/listening to it as I type. This might sound rather hipster-ish of me, but I really dig their first stuff. I think the spectacle that was Led Zeppelin by the mid seventies is a little too much for me. I like some of their later stuff, but the early period where they were a working experimental blues band is what I really love. Something about Dragon-Telecaster Page (not dragon pants) is just so raw, so cool. You can just look at him and know that he's still getting off on being able to use his session playing chops to do what he does best with an awesome band.

You won't get much argument from me, although I do like the later stuff the first few albums are mind blowing. Quick rankings:

II
I
Houses of the Holy
III
IV
Physical Graffiti
Presence
In Through The Out Door

Coda would come last if I ranked it which I don't.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

The Randy California story is one of the saddest stories ever told. A friend of mine tells me Spirit is the biggest missing piece in my musical knowledge. I plan to fix that Real Soon Now.
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

Kudzu Guillotine wrote:

There's nothing wrong with Led Zeppelin's catalog that writing some checks with a lot of zeros wouldn't fix. They stole and they made what they stole new.
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

Barely_Oakely

Post by Barely_Oakely »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:You won't get much argument from me, although I do like the later stuff the first few albums are mind blowing. Quick rankings:

II
I
Houses of the Holy
III
IV
Physical Graffiti
Presence
In Through The Out Door

Agreed x2
"Allman Brother's up and windows down." LB3

Kudzu Guillotine

I also love the early stuff, especially the era that's represented on BBC Sessions, How the West Was Won and the concerts on Led Zeppelin DVD (like the one above). Even though I'm a diehard fan, I never heard much live stuff growing up outside of The Song Remains the Same aside from 3 or 4 bootlegs so when How the West Was Won and Led Zeppelin DVD came out in 2003, I listened (and watched) both with rapt attention. I know The Song Remains the Same gets a bad rap and maybe even rightfully so but since it was the only live album of theirs I heard for the longest time, it will always hold a special place for me. It came out during a time right alongside Frampton Comes Alive! and One More From the Road when the double live album was king. It also didn't hurt that all three boasted liner notes from Cameron Crowe.

Also from the DVD (Earl's Court 1975), this is one of my very favorite live cuts of theirs. Despite how strong and raw that early stuff is, this might well be Zeppelin at the height of their powers. As much as I love Presence and In Through the Out Door, it's been posited that Zeppelin had the wind knocked out of their sails by Plant's auto accident in the summer of '75 and later, the death of his son Karac in '77, events they would never fully bounce back from. Throw Page's addiction to heroin in there (something I was pretty much oblivious to in the 70's though it couldn't have been more obvious) and that starts to make a lot of sense.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:

Sounds like you just did
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

Kudzu Guillotine

I don't ever rank Coda but it's for the same reason I don't rank similar compilations such as The Fine Print or Dead Letter Office. Apparently Page only put it together because of a contractual obligation but I don't think it's all that bad myself, especially since Zeppelin had always kept such a tight lid on outtakes and rarities. Newer versions also include "Traveling Riverside Blues", "Baby, Come On Home", "Hey, Hey, What Can I Do" and "White Summer/Black Mountain Side", all of which I feel are very welcome additions. Out of all the songs on the original version, the only one I never really cared all that much for was "Bonzo's Montreux". The rest at least provided some sort of insight into the creative process and where their heads were at the time, especially with "Wearing and Tearing", a tune that Page has said was inspired by The Damned.

Kudzu Guillotine

211poundsofpork

Ok Kudzu, I am off after work (I can't wait!) to pick up I and II. As for III, a friend of mine forewarned me already that that was delayed, so maybe they will have that next weekend. Also picking up the new Rich Robinson, Lee Bains, and hopefully Zoe Muth's new one - so let's just say my Friday evening's playlist is set. Get the Led out!

Kudzu Guillotine

211poundsofpork wrote:Ok Kudzu, I am off after work (I can't wait!) to pick up I and II. As for III, a friend of mine forewarned me already that that was delayed, so maybe they will have that next weekend. Also picking up the new Rich Robinson, Lee Bains, and hopefully Zoe Muth's new one - so let's just say my Friday evening's playlist is set. Get the Led out!

Glad to hear it. Unfortunately, I'm going to be unable to pick up any of them for the foreseeable future but I most certainly will purchase them at some point. Even then, the Super Deluxe versions are going to have to wait.

Kudzu Guillotine

I'm not sure what I was expecting from this track but I wasn't expecting this. I'm not so sure I would have recognized it as Zeppelin if I hadn't known beforehand. That said, the way that it builds, it takes on some very Zeppelinesque qualities. I've already seen it compared to early James Gang, which I'd agree with. Walsh was evidently a pretty huge influence on Page in those days, which causes the comparison to make complete sense.

Listen to Led Zeppelin's Unreleased Instrumental 'La La'
Track is set to appear on upcoming deluxe edition reissue of 'Led Zeppelin II'

Chris Walter/WireImage

211poundsofpork

As it turned out, the place we go to didn't have the LZIII SUPER deluxe in. I was only shooting for the deluxe editions and I got all three. A total Get the Led Out weekend and I was loving it! All the remastered albums sound superb. Highlights so far: The Lemon Song off of II and That's the Way off of III. As far as La La goes, I was pretty much taken aback by it's sound. I do here a little Zep in there, but I could also hear some Beatles and Floyd elements. Interesting stuff.

Kudzu Guillotine wrote:
211poundsofpork wrote:Ok Kudzu, I am off after work (I can't wait!) to pick up I and II. As for III, a friend of mine forewarned me already that that was delayed, so maybe they will have that next weekend. Also picking up the new Rich Robinson, Lee Bains, and hopefully Zoe Muth's new one - so let's just say my Friday evening's playlist is set. Get the Led out!

Glad to hear it. Unfortunately, I'm going to be unable to pick up any of them for the foreseeable future but I most certainly will purchase them at some point. Even then, the Super Deluxe versions are going to have to wait.

Kudzu Guillotine

All of the albums were in stock at Schoolkids Records in Raleigh over the weekend but not in all of their various configurations. If I understood correctly, some of the editions of Led Zeppelin III have been delayed though I'm not sure for how long.

Agreed on "La La" as far as it sounding a bit out of character for Zeppelin. While it's a track I may not revisit a lot in the future, I'm glad it didn't remain on the cutting room floor as it's intriguing to me to have a look inside the creative process.

While I would like to own all of these eventually, I may not be able resist the the temptation of owning the deluxe edition of the first album especially if it's priced to sell.

Kudzu Guillotine

LED ZEPPELIN REMASTER PRODUCT SNAFU UPDATE
For those of you who have been patiently waiting for the Led Zeppelin remasters of I, II, and III to arrive, there are going to be widespread product shortages on the vinyl versions. On tomorrow's street date (Tuesday, June 3), we will have only the deluxe box sets for I and II (box III is supposed to arrive by the end of Wednesday), and we will have a couple single edition remasters of I and II as well (III is problematic due to the wheel construction of the cover).

The greatest shortfall comes in the double vinyl sets including the expanded material, of which we will not have right away. These are manufacturer problems that cannot be forced or corrected on our part, and we are terribly sorry for those vinyl lovers out there who were looking forward to these. This is a widespread problem that every physical and online retailer is facing, so do not be alarmed if you cannot find it anywhere for a few days. They WILL be coming to us, just at a slightly later date, and we WILL let you know as soon as they arrive.'

Jonicont
Site Admin

Post by Jonicont »

Kudzu Guillotine wrote:
LED ZEPPELIN REMASTER PRODUCT SNAFU UPDATE
For those of you who have been patiently waiting for the Led Zeppelin remasters of I, II, and III to arrive, there are going to be widespread product shortages on the vinyl versions. On tomorrow's street date (Tuesday, June 3), we will have only the deluxe box sets for I and II (box III is supposed to arrive by the end of Wednesday), and we will have a couple single edition remasters of I and II as well (III is problematic due to the wheel construction of the cover).

The greatest shortfall comes in the double vinyl sets including the expanded material, of which we will not have right away. These are manufacturer problems that cannot be forced or corrected on our part, and we are terribly sorry for those vinyl lovers out there who were looking forward to these. This is a widespread problem that every physical and online retailer is facing, so do not be alarmed if you cannot find it anywhere for a few days. They WILL be coming to us, just at a slightly later date, and we WILL let you know as soon as they arrive.'

My local guy's take (and he's a big player) is that the Amazon orders got filled first with the double vinyls (if you preordered through LZ site you were redirected to Amazon) and they didn't press enough for the shops

I'm waiting for the double of I with the live sides. Picked up the single of II and I must say Page did an exemplary job. My local guy hit me up with a bunch of swag

Always go to the show

Kudzu Guillotine

I've been enjoying the Olympia concert that's on the bonus disc from the first album. I haven't delved into the bonus stuff from II & III yet but plan to do that over the weekend.

211poundsofpork

You are in for it! I am pretty pleased overall with how they all turned out. Still cannot stop listening to the III outtakes - and I'm not just talking about "Jenning's Farm Blues" and "Trouble in Mind". I'm talking about the rough mixes and such - interesting slants on Zep tunes we are so used to hearing one way.

cortez the killer

Post by cortez the killer »

You are entitled to your opinion, but you are not entitled to your own facts.
- DPM

Kudzu Guillotine

I thought these were coming out three at a time. Evidently not. The next batch is due on October 28th.

Led Zeppelin to Reissue IV and Houses of the Holy With Bonus Material
Including alternate versions of "Stairway to Heaven", "When the Levee Breaks", "The Song Remains the Same," and more
By Jeremy Gordon

211poundsofpork

Thank you Kudzu. Nothing really to go nuts about, but I am all over this anyway.