Led Zeppelin

Know of a great band you think we'd like to hear about? Got some music news? Or just want to talk about music in general? Post it here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Kudzu Guillotine

Re: Led Zeppelin

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

For whatever reason, Page, Jones and Bonham's efforts to carry on with a new singer under a new name after the reunion concert at the O2 in 2007 has largely been veiled in secrecy and truth be told, nothing much is revealed here. Even if it had have worked out, I have a feeling they never would escaped the inevitable comparisons to Zeppelin so maybe it worked out for the best.

Myles Kennedy recalls Zeppelin project

cortez the killer

Post by cortez the killer »

Kevin Bacon is the new lead singer in Led Zeppelin?
You are entitled to your opinion, but you are not entitled to your own facts.
- DPM

Kudzu Guillotine

Kudzu Guillotine

Led Zeppelin to Reissue First 3 LPs With Unreleased Songs
"The material on the companion discs presents a portal to the time of the
recording of Led Zeppelin," Jimmy Page says

Led Zeppelin
Courtesy Swan Song/Atlantic

Kudzu Guillotine

Kudzu Guillotine

Kudzu Guillotine

Released 38 years ago today.

Side One
1. Achilles Last Stand - 10:25
2. For Your Life - 6:24
3. Royal Orleans (Bonham, Jones, Page, Plant) - 2:58

Side Two
1. Nobody's Fault but Mine - 6:16
2. Candy Store Rock - 4:11
3. Hots On for Nowhere - 4:43
4. Tea for One - 9:27

4sooner

Post by 4sooner »

Kudzu Guillotine wrote:Released 38 years ago today.

Side One

Side Two

Love this album

211poundsofpork

Post by 211poundsofpork »

This album has never really received any love over the years, but I loved it in my early teens in the late 80's when I first got this album. 38 years?! Sheesh. Can't wait to see what the deluxe edition of this has in store...

4sooner wrote:
Kudzu Guillotine wrote:Released 38 years ago today.

Side One

Side Two

Love this album

Kudzu Guillotine

On most days, Presence is my favorite Zeppelin album. I also love In Through the Out Door which, from what I can tell, is most Zep fans' least favorite album. Come to find out, a lot of folks who make that claim weren't even alive when it first came out. As best as I can recall, anticipation for that record was at a fever pitch when it was released in '79. While that may not change what so many are so unhappy with about that album (the synths, the predominance of John Paul Jones, accusations of "Carouselambra" being "disco", etc.), I think it has everything to do with perspective.

211poundsofpork

Totally agree here. I really liked ITTOD when I 1st listened to it, but I could not stand "Hot Dog". Although I have no problem with it these days and I've learned to appreciate it, it remains my least favorite Zep track of all time. As for the predominance of JPJ - no problem with that here. I'll take anything he's involved with. Check out his solo albums Zooma and The Thunderthief. Good stuff (though you probably already knew that 8-) ).
Kudzu Guillotine wrote:On most days, Presence is my favorite Zeppelin album. I also love In Through the Out Door which, from what I can tell, is most Zep fans' least favorite album. Come to find out, a lot of folks who make that claim weren't even alive when it first came out. As best as I can recall, anticipation for that record was at a fever pitch when it was released in '79. While that may not change what so many are so unhappy with about that album (the synths, the predominance of John Paul Jones, accusations of "Carouselambra" being "disco", etc.), I think it has everything to do with perspective.

Kudzu Guillotine

I love "Hot Dog" and don't really get that hate for it from so many Zep fans. Yeah, it sounds like a b-side, throwaway type ditty but it's also the sound of Zeppelin cutting loose and having fun with a shit kicker.

I have Zooma but have never gotten around to picking up Thunderthief though I'm sure I would enjoy it.

Kudzu Guillotine

211poundsofpork

classic.

Kudzu Guillotine

Trailer for the Led Zeppelin reissue, which drops on June 3rd.

oilpiers

Post by oilpiers »

Had all the LZ albums on vinyl by 1980. All the albums on CD by 1993. Obviously a huge fan. I personally feel that songwriting has progressed, and much of what I thought was the top of the food chain 25 years ago, sounds dated and primitive to some extent in 2014. Not a slam against LZ, but I am irritated when I here from both people I know, and radio idiots, when they say there is no good music today as compared to the golden age of classic rock. Shitloads of good tunes these days. Unfortunately the popular non mainstream shit is Black keys, Mumford, and some other lame shit.

RMD

Post by RMD »

Am I the only one not that excited about the extras on these new remasters? Other than the live show on the debut the rest seems rather ehhhhh.

211poundsofpork

I'm pretty sure you aren't the only. I, for one don't see that much to get excited about when it comes to the extras. However, I am mainly excited for the remasters as my collection is practically all UNremastered - albums I got before 1990 and the box sets started to come out.

RMD wrote:Am I the only one not that excited about the extras on these new remasters? Other than the live show on the debut the rest seems rather ehhhhh.

Kudzu Guillotine

RMD wrote:Am I the only one not that excited about the extras on these new remasters? Other than the live show on the debut the rest seems rather ehhhhh.

It's hard to pass judgement as I haven't heard any of the extra material yet but at the moment, I agree that I'm most excited for the live show on Led Zeppelin. Considering Page has said in the past that everything he had had already been released, I consider it nothing short of a miracle that we're going to be able to hear any of this stuff at all. I'm guessing that tracks like this from the BBC sessions didn't meet his standards or else it would have been included. Though it hasn't been confirmed, some folks seem to believe there will be an expanded edition of Coda that will include more odds and ends so there's a possibility it could end up there.

The only Zeppelin studio albums I own on CD are the two box sets so I welcome these new reissues with open arms.

Kudzu Guillotine

No real surprise with the headline here though I'm sure it will infuriate those that feel Led Zeppelin owes them another reunion. On the topic of the upcoming reissue campaign (which gets underway June 2 with the release of the first three Zeppelin records), there's absolutely no mention of when the other albums will be reissued other than "The final three will be released in 2015". Lots of folks seem to believe that Coda (which is already a collection of rarities, outtakes, etc.) will also get the expanded reissue treatment but I've yet to see Page mention it.

Robert Plant: there is "zero" chance of Led Zeppelin performing again

Kudzu Guillotine

The BBC has posted snippets of two previously unheard songs, an early version of "Whole Lotta Love" from the deluxe edition of Led Zeppelin II and "Keys To the Highway" from the deluxe edition of Led Zeppelin III. The first article says, "he (Page) has scotched rumours that there will be versions of songs featuring bass and keyboard player John Paul Jones on vocals". I was kind of looking forward to hearing those just out of curiosity.

211poundsofpork

A friend of mine got this for me for my birthday over the weekend. I just can't put it down. Rekindling the Zep freak in me and getting me psyched for the upcoming remaster releases. This is a great coffee table book and has tons of good tidbits for the Zep freak in all of us.
While I am on the subject of Zeppelin books - the only bio I read of them was Hammer of the Gods by Stephen Davis back in the late 80's. Does anyone know what is the best bio on them to date? I heard that Mick Wall's bio is pretty good...

Kudzu Guillotine

211poundsofpork wrote:Image

A friend of mine got this for me for my birthday over the weekend. I just can't put it down. Rekindling the Zep freak in me and getting me psyched for the upcoming remaster releases. This is a great coffee table book and has tons of good tidbits for the Zep freak in all of us.
While I am on the subject of Zeppelin books - the only bio I read of them was Hammer of the Gods by Stephen Davis back in the late 80's. Does anyone know what is the best bio on them to date? I heard that Mick Wall's bio is pretty good...

Wish I could recommend one to you but I do know that Plant and Page have largely discredited Hammer of the Gods over the years. Most of the Zep books that I have are of the reference/coffee table variety. I have Get The Led Out, Shadows Taller Than Our Souls (which is essentially a scrapbook with poster and ticket reproductions) and The Rough Guide To Led Zeppelin.

Kudzu Guillotine

Promo trailer for the deluxe edition of Led Zeppelin II. I can't count the number of times I've heard "Whole Lotta Love" over the years but it still sends shivers up my spine.

Kudzu Guillotine

There's not really that much "opening up" here but it's still worth a read.

Led Zeppelin Raid Secret Vault for Super-Deluxe Album Series
Jimmy Page and Robert Plant open up about the biggest archival Zeppelin project yet

Michael Ochs Archives/Getty Images

Kudzu Guillotine

One crucial factor that always seems to get left out of these headlines (and isn't mentioned anywhere in the article) is that the group wasn't going to be called Led Zeppelin.

“You’re going back to the same old shit. A tour would have been an absolute menagerie of vested interests and the very essence of everything that's shitty about about big-time stadium rock. We were surrounded by a circus of people that would have had our souls on the fire. I'm not part of a jukebox.”
- Robert Plant

Robert Plant: 'Led Zeppelin reunion without me was a great idea'

Kudzu Guillotine

Let's hope this actually becomes a reality this time as Page has been singing this same song for at least the last ten years.

Jimmy Page Busy Writing New Songs: 'I've Got Lots of Material'
"I intend to start getting to a point where I could play some gigs," he says. "I love playing live."

Dave J Hogan/Getty Images

Kudzu Guillotine

Robert Plant Discusses Possible ‘Daft Punk’ Project with Alison Krauss

Robert Plant Says Gritty New LP Will 'Sound Right at a Jamaican Party'
Singer also reveals he's talking to Alison Krauss about a possible follow-up to 2007's 'Raising Sand'

Steve Mack/FilmMagic

Kudzu Guillotine

The man does get around. John Paul Jones onstage with Nick Lowe at Union Chapel in London over the weekend.