Led Zeppelin

Know of a great band you think we'd like to hear about? Got some music news? Or just want to talk about music in general? Post it here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Kudzu Guillotine

Re: Led Zeppelin

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

211poundsofpork wrote:Thank you Kudzu. Nothing really to go nuts about, but I am all over this anyway.

Same here. As I've probably already mentioned, I'm not one of those people that's purchased the albums multiple times on CD so I really have no problem with these reissues. In fact, up until the recent reissues I didn't own any of the individual studio albums on CD (just the two box sets).

Here's a report from the BBC that seems as though it's meant to generate hits for the story as it makes little sense to me. It's not as though the alternate version of "Stairway" on the upcoming reissue of IV is suddenly going to displace the original. It's no different the alternate versions of some of their other well known songs that appeared on the reissues of II & III.

Newsday: Led Zeppelin seek to fix "what ain't broke"

...and in the latest round of Plant vs. Page, or at least what the music press would have us believe is a war of words, Page evidently turned down an offer from Plant to do an acoustic tour. Page keeps saying that he wants to "be seen with a guitar in his hand". Well, there was another missed opportunity. Meanwhile, if you dare venture into the comments sections for many of these stories, Plant is made out to be the enemy.

Robert Plant 'Disappointed' in Jimmy Page and Led Zep Reunion Rumors
"He knows he's got the headlines if he wants them," says Plant. "But I don't know what he's trying to do"

Kevin Mazur/Getty Images

Rocky

Post by Rocky »

Pretty sure Zep never played in Wheaton but thanks for the link and spreading the word. It's a cool story either way.
By the time you drop them I'll be gone
And you'll be right where they fall the rest of your life

Kudzu Guillotine

Teaser for Led Zeppelin IV which is due on October 28th along with Houses of the Holy.

Kudzu Guillotine

In this new interview Jimmy Page announces that he'll be touring next year. Thing is, he's been saying the exact same thing for now on eight years but it never happens. I'd love nothing more than for him to prove me wrong. His track record says otherwise.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

Clams

Post by Clams »

Zip City wrote:SPIN ranks every Led Zeppelin song:

http://www.spin.com/articles/led-zeppel ... ng-ranked/

That's actually a pretty good job by Spin
If you don't run you rust

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Kind of fun but they sure don't like the songs on In Through the Out Door as much as I do particularly Hot Dog and Southbound Suarez.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

Clams

Post by Clams »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:

Kind of fun but they sure don't like the songs on In Through the Out Door as much as I do particularly Hot Dog and Southbound Suarez.

There are a few good songs on In Through the Out Door (I love "In the Evening"), but for the most part it sucks - at least in comparison to the rest of their catalogue.

Rocky

Post by Rocky »

Thanks for posting Zip.

Crazy harsh on Something Else, Hot Dog, Tea For One and South Bound Saurez.

The Rover is waaay too low on the list and I have several questions with that top 5.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

I think Dazed and Confused was too low.

jr29

Post by jr29 »

"Down By The Seaside" is one of my favorite Zeppelin songs. I also love "Tangerine" and "Hey, Hey What Can I Do". Spin seems to disagree.

Flea

Post by Flea »

Gotta quibble with both Fool In The Rain and Over The Hills & Far Away being top 5.
Now it's dark.

Kudzu Guillotine

Tequila Cowboy wrote:

I haven't looked at the list but from what I've noticed, In Through the Out Door isn't all that well thought of by a lot of fans. Funny how some of those that are most critical of it weren't even born when it was released. And yes, I think being alive when it came out has everything to do with my perspective of it. I don't have an ounce of hate for it or Presence, which is my favorite Zeppelin album.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

SPIN really hates Presence.

Kudzu Guillotine

Zip City wrote:SPIN really hates Presence.

Fuck Spin, they don't know shit.

Clams

Post by Clams »

Kudzu Guillotine wrote:

You really think Presence and In Through the Out Door hold up against I, II, III, IV, Houses of the Holy and Physical Graffiti??? If they're ranking every song, something has to be at the bottom of the list. Better it's Carousel-fucking-ambra than Dyer Maker or Babe I'm Gonna Leave You.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

I'm not a huge fan of Presence so I can see some of that but I love In Through the Out Door and outside of Carouselambra I don't think there's a bad song on the record. Spin clearly does. Listen I get it you rank them all and some have to be at the bottom, maybe this is more a testament to LZ greatness than it is anything else.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:I'm not a huge fan of Presence so I can see some of that but I love In Through the Out Door and outside of Carouselambra I don't think there's a bad song on the record. Spin clearly does. Listen I get it you rank them all and some have to be at the bottom, maybe this is more a testament to LZ greatness than it is anything else.

I remember similar *ahem* disagreements several years ago when I ranked every DBT song. People like what they like, and even if a band's "low end" songs are really good, something has to finish last if your'e going to rank them.

That said, at least SPIN didn't cop out and throw Stairway, Whole Lotta Love and Rock N' Roll in their top 3 and call it a day

Kudzu Guillotine

Clams wrote:
Kudzu Guillotine wrote:

You really think Presence and In Through the Out Door hold up against I, II, III, IV, Houses of the Holy and Physical Graffiti??? If they're ranking every song, something has to be at the bottom of the list. Better it's Carousel-fucking-ambra than Dyer Maker or Babe I'm Gonna Leave You.

I do consider Presence my favorite but trying to rank music by assigning a number to it is pretty much meaningless. Mood tends to dictate to what I listen to more than anything.

Oh, and I love "Carouselambra". I put it up there in "Achilles Last Stand" and "Kashmir" territory.

Clams

Post by Clams »

Kudzu Guillotine wrote:
Clams wrote:You really think Presence and In Through the Out Door hold up against I, II, III, IV, Houses of the Holy and Physical Graffiti??? If they're ranking every song, something has to be at the bottom of the list. Better it's Carousel-fucking-ambra than Dyer Maker or Babe I'm Gonna Leave You.

I do consider Presence my favorite but trying to rank music by assigning a number to it is pretty much meaningless. Mood tends to dictate to what I listen to more than anything.

Oh, and I love "Carouselambra". I put it up there in "Achilles Last Stand" and "Kashmir" territory.

Kudzu, you've been on good behavior since the Natalie Merchant Fiasco of 2013, but I have to move you down a few notches for this.

Rocky

Post by Rocky »

Natalie Merchant Fiasco would be a great name for a band.

4sooner

Post by 4sooner »

Clams wrote:
Kudzu Guillotine wrote:
Clams wrote:You really think Presence and In Through the Out Door hold up against I, II, III, IV, Houses of the Holy and Physical Graffiti??? If they're ranking every song, something has to be at the bottom of the list. Better it's Carousel-fucking-ambra than Dyer Maker or Babe I'm Gonna Leave You.

Kudzu, you've been on good behavior since the Natalie Merchant Fiasco of 2013, but I have to move you down a few notches for this.

Down a few notches???!!!
WTF clams, you assigning a numeric ranking to board members now? ;)
As for the Natalie Merchant Fiasco of 2013,I blame clams for that.
In other news, I put Presence a close second behind Physical Graffitti. Love that record.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

4sooner wrote:Down a few notches???!!!
In other news, I put Presence a close second behind Physical Graffitti. Love that record.

The only question is whether this is the post of the year or the post of the decade.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

Clams

Post by Clams »

I send all rankings to Cortez, monthly. He uploads them to the master spread sheet.

Kudzu Guillotine

Clams wrote:
Kudzu Guillotine wrote:

I could give a flying fuck what you think.

Kudzu Guillotine

Will be interesting to see if Page is actually going to stay true to his word this time as he's been threatening to tour and/or release a new album for nearly ten years now. Meanwhile, it's Plant that catches all the shit for refusing to take part in a full fledged Zep tour.

JIMMY PAGE Says He Will Start New Band, Perform Material Spanning His Entire Career

Clams

Post by Clams »

Kudzu Guillotine wrote:
Clams wrote:Kudzu, you've been on good behavior since the Natalie Merchant Fiasco of 2013, but I have to move you down a few notches for this.

I could give a flying fuck what you think.

:D

Kudzu Guillotine

Just for shits n' grins, Page on the Outrider tour from 1988.

John Miles - vocals
Jimmy Page - guitar
Durban Laverde - bass
Jason Bonham - drums

01. Who's To Blame 0:01:23
02. Prelude 0:05:23
03. Over The Hills And Far Away 0:07:36
04. City Siren 0:14:03
05. Drums Solo 0:14:51
06. The Chase 0:20:14
07. Violin Bow Solo: 0:22:51
08. Dazed And Confused (Solo) 0:22:51
09. Writes Of Winter 0:36:10
10. Tear Down The Walls 0:38:57
11. Midnight Moonlight 0:41:45
12. In My Time Of Dying, 0:47:06
13. Blues Anthem 0:57:28
14, Train Kept A Rollin (Cut) 1:02:25
15. Stairway To Heaven 1:05:03

cortez the killer

Post by cortez the killer »

Clams wrote:

I send all rankings to Cortez, monthly. He uploads them to the master spread sheet.

In the ugly green metal file cabinet. Special key hidden in my chest of drawers.
You are entitled to your opinion, but you are not entitled to your own facts.
- DPM