Led Zeppelin

Know of a great band you think we'd like to hear about? Got some music news? Or just want to talk about music in general? Post it here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

maxjkugel

Re: Zeppelin

Post by maxjkugel »

Just noticed there is already a Led Zeppelin thread. Moderators can you move this?

Kudzu Guillotine

Re: Zeppelin

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

I somehow made it through all 11 pages of this last night. Criticisms of the songs aside, the writing is piss poor and often times completely misinformed. I'd cite some examples but I wouldn't know where to begin. The writer seems to have it in for the band in some of the entries which makes me wonder if they're even a fan. Early on, they completely dismiss Presence which makes them lose credibility with me right away. Also, far too much emphasis is put on what songs were the most radio friendly, as if that lends them some kind of credence. While I did agree with some of the top choices, I found it extremely difficult to take the writer seriously. I'm surprised I made it past the first page.

Kudzu Guillotine

Re: Led Zeppelin

Given Zeppelin's history with this sort of stuff, it's not inconceivable that Page lifted from "Taurus" but the entire song? I don't think so. It's not mentioned in this particular article but I believe this last time the story was making headlines, the ball wasn't exactly in Zeppelin's court.

August Hearing Set in ‘Stairway to Heaven’ Copyright-Infringement Lawsuit

(L-R) John Paul Jones, Robert Plant and Jimmy Page of Led Zeppelin in 2012
(Thinkstock: Danny Martindale/Getty Images)

211poundsofpork

Post by 211poundsofpork »

Still soaking in the latest 3 re-releases. I just need the proper time to sit down and soak them in. So far, I have listened to Presence and ITtOD. My initial thought is: For countless years I've always been amazed with their rhythm section. Damn if Bonham and Jones don't sound sicker on these. Lovin' it!

Hud

Post by Hud »

I did see Zeppelin , 14 years old,in Greensboro, NC

Found this Flashback to the 70's. Can't believe my parents let me get out of school early to go!

http://youtu.be/UWhVqWFIICM

Almost 35 years since Bonham left us.......

http://anewdomain.net/2015/09/18/late-l ... ears-gone/

One of my first concerts ever
(willie Nelson and JJ walker was my first)
I've seen my future and I'm scared to close my eyes

whatwouldcooleydo?

Post by whatwouldcooleydo? »

Hud wrote:I did see Zeppelin , 14 years old,in Greensboro, NC

Found this Flashback to the 70's. Can't believe my parents let me get out of school early to go!

http://youtu.be/UWhVqWFIICM
that is so awesome! I was 11 in 77 and no way my parents would have ever let me go from Asheville to Greensboro for, well, pretty much any reason. I saw my first Grateful Dead show in that same building on October 9, 1983.
Son, this ain't a dream no more, it's the real thing

Swamp

Post by Swamp »

Thanks for that Hud. It led me to this. The night I saw them. 3 songs and a riot!
and that pussy Alec Baldwin blew that girl away, and speaking of pussy Steve got it all!

Kudzu Guillotine

I remember at least half of my high school being empty the day they played Greensboro. I was old enough to go but for whatever reason, I didn't.

For the longest time back in those days, Greensboro was one of the few places you could go to see a concert around here aside from Cumberland County Memorial Auditorium in Fayetteville and Dorton Arena in Raleigh. There were other venues but those seemed to be the main ones. I saw my first Grateful Dead show at Greensboro Coliseum in March of '89, I saw R.E.M. w/ Pylon there in November of '89, the day after the Berlin Wall fell. My last concert there was Rush back in May.

whatwouldcooleydo?

Kudzu Guillotine wrote:I remember at least half of my high school being empty the day they played Greensboro. I was old enough to go but for whatever reason, I didn't.

For the longest time back in those days, Greensboro was one of the few places you could go to see a concert around here aside from Cumberland County Memorial Auditorium in Fayetteville and Dorton Arena in Raleigh. There were other venues but those seemed to be the main ones. I saw my first Grateful Dead show at Greensboro Coliseum in March of '89, I saw R.E.M. w/ Pylon there in November of '89, the day after the Berlin Wall fell. My last concert there was Rush back in May.

I saw that REM/Pylon show, remember it well. Also saw REM in Chapel Hill that spring on the initial leg of the Green tour (or whatever they called it). Not sure where you grew up, but for those of us up Asheville way the old Charlotte Coliseum was our primary venue for out-of-town shows, with Greensboro second and then a bunch of distant thirds (Knoxville, Greenville, etc). My last Greensboro shows were the epic GD run of 3/31-4/1/91

Flea

Post by Flea »

Lot of rock & roll memories from the Greensboro Coliseum. The one and only time I ever got front for a Springsteen show was there.
Now it's dark.

whatwouldcooleydo?

Flea wrote:Lot of rock & roll memories from the Greensboro Coliseum. The one and only time I ever got front for a Springsteen show was there.
Perhaps the most boring show I ever saw was Clapton 1990 at Greensboro, totally soulless, robotic show. Most bizarre show I ever saw there was (thankfully it was free) The Cult, Bonham, and Dangerous Toys, where my then girlfriend's best friend got busted trying to sneak in Busch tall boys! i made her walk back to Chapel Hill for drinking Busch in the first place

Kudzu Guillotine

I was also at that R.E.M. show in the spring of '89 at the Dean Dome in Chapel Hill (drivin n cryin opened). That was my third R.E.M. concert, the previous two had been at Cameron Indoor Stadium at Duke in '86 and '87. A couple weeks before that Dean Dome show I came up to see Guadalcanal Diary play a free show at Duke. I got there late, missing the opening bands. If memory serves, it was Dreams So Real and maybe Kilkenny Cats. Guadalcanal Diary broke up after that tour so I'm glad I got to see them.

When Patterson talks about seeing Kansas, Styx, etc. at Von Braun Civic Center it reminds me of Cumberland County Memorial Auditorium in Fayetteville where tons of bands played including Ozzy, ZZ Top, Leon Russell, Frank Zappa, Grand Funk, Blue Öyster Cult, Henry Paul Band, Rossington-Collins Band, etc. I only saw one show there but it was a doozy, AC/DC (with Bon Scott), Nantucket and Cheap Trick in '78. On the Greensboro tip, I remember several of my friends going up there to see Rush, Nugent, Aerosmith, etc. in the 70's. I also remember tales of audience members rappelling down to the floor from the upper reaches of the coliseum by buckling a series of belts together. Some made it, others fell. Though just a young lad at the time, I recall seeing some of that kind of stuff when I saw Kiss at Dorton Arena in Raleigh in '76.

I grew up about an hour and a half east of Raleigh near Goldsboro and Mt. Olive. Though not my beer of choice, I'll drink an ice cold Busch over a PBR any day of the week. Never understood the appeal of a PBR. That shit is nasty.

whatwouldcooleydo?

Kudzu Guillotine wrote:I was also at that R.E.M. show in the spring of '89 at the Dean Dome in Chapel Hill (drivin n cryin opened). That was my third R.E.M. concert, the previous two had been at Cameron Indoor Stadium at Duke in '86 and '87. A couple weeks before that Dean Dome show I came up to see Guadalcanal Diary play a free show at Duke. I got there late, missing the opening bands. If memory serves, it was Dreams So Real and maybe Kilkenny Cats. Guadalcanal Diary broke up after that tour so I'm glad I got to see them.

When Patterson talks about seeing Kansas, Styx, etc. at Von Braun Civic Center it reminds me of Cumberland County Memorial Auditorium in Fayetteville where tons of bands played including Ozzy, ZZ Top, Leon Russell, Frank Zappa, Grand Funk, Blue Öyster Cult, Henry Paul Band, Rossington-Collins Band, etc. I only saw one show there but it was a doozy, AC/DC (with Bon Scott), Nantucket and Cheap Trick in '78. On the Greensboro tip, I remember several of my friends going up there to see Rush, Nugent, Aerosmith, etc. in the 70's. I also remember tales of audience members rappelling down to the floor from the upper reaches of the coliseum by buckling a series of belts together. Some made it, others fell. Though just a young lad at the time, I recall seeing some of that kind of stuff when I saw Kiss at Dorton Arena in Raleigh in '76.

I grew up about an hour and a half east of Raleigh near Goldsboro and Mt. Olive. Though not my beer of choice, I'll drink an ice cold Busch over a PBR any day of the week. Never understood the appeal of a PBR. That shit is nasty.
Dorton Arena was where they filmed all the classic Mid-Atlantic Championship Wrestling cards that were a huge part of my childhood. Wrestlers like Ric Flair were rock stars to me before I got into rock and roll. The only time I ever went there was to see the Ringling-Barnum Circus on my 25th birthday in 1991.... I was high as a kite and loved it. When I was a kid I often saw the same R-B circus on my birthday at the Asheville Civic Center, though never high as a kite

whatwouldcooleydo?

Kudzu Guillotine wrote:I was also at that R.E.M. show in the spring of '89 at the Dean Dome in Chapel Hill (drivin n cryin opened).
There was a period in late 80s/early 90s where I saw Drivin' n Cryin' as the opening act for a bunch of shows: for the Allman Bros 1989 reunion tour in Charlotte (Allmans fans did not approve), the aforementioned REM Dean Dome show, plus I recall them opening for Tom Petty somewhere in that same era. I know I saw them opening for even more bands but I can't recall specifics. They were the late 80s go-to opening band in the region much like Mother's Finest and/or Nantucket were in the late 70s/early 80s

Kudzu Guillotine

Nantucket were actually the middle act on the bill I mentioned previously. They were riding high on the release of their debut album that summer and this was considered their homecoming show. They were also a priority at Epic Records at the time, which is why Cheap Trick was the first band to go on. I know what you mean though. drivin n cryin proved to be a go-to opening act into the 90's as I saw them open for several bands at Walnut Creek in Raleigh. I forget who it was now but one band on a multi-act bill canceled so they called in drivin n cryin, not that I'm complaining. It may have been when they shared a bill with Skynyrd, CDB and .38 Special. I know they opened for Skynyrd at least once and to the best of my recollection, went over well with that crowd.

I remember wrasslin' at Dorton Arena well, though my interest didn't really go much beyond what WRAL broadcast at 7 pm and late night on Saturday nights. The other show I saw there besides Kiss was Foghat, Derringer and the Outlaws in '77. To bring this thread drift back on track, one of my older brothers saw Hendrix there in 1969 and Zeppelin in 1970. There are fan reviews, photos and a News & Observer review available on the official Led Zep website. I also have a boot of it somewhere.

Rocky

Post by Rocky »

Saw Robert Plant and his band at Lockn' this past weekend. Absolutely, incredibly remarkable shows.

Saturday
http://www.panicstream.net/vault/robert ... ington-va/

Sunday
http://www.panicstream.net/vault/robert ... ington-va/
By the time you drop them I'll be gone
And you'll be right where they fall the rest of your life

Kudzu Guillotine

From Barrett Martin's Facebook page

OK, here it is: A very long video that starts with us playing The Firm's "Radioactive" (with Paul Rodgers!) and then Jimmy Page joins us to play Led Zeppelin's classic "Rock & Roll" with an all-star Seattle tribute band featuring Barrett Martin on drums, Duff McKagan & Krist Novoselic on bass, Kim Thayil, Jerry Cantrell, Rich Robinson, Rick Nielsen, & Andy Coe on guitars. Keyboards by Ryan Burns, and the 3 vocalists - the great Paul Rodgers (spinning the mic stand), William Duvall, and John Hogg. Totally epic night playing Led Zeppelin, Yardbirds, and The Firm songs as we honored Jimmy's contribution to music and raised a whole bunch of money for music education programs at EMP in Seattle. Thanks to everyone who participated in this truly amazing event. We're all Zep-heads when it gets right down to it. Twas an honor.
-Barrett

whatwouldcooleydo?

Kudzu Guillotine wrote:From Barrett Martin's Facebook page

OK, here it is: A very long video that starts with us playing The Firm's "Radioactive" (with Paul Rodgers!) and then Jimmy Page joins us to play Led Zeppelin's classic "Rock & Roll" with an all-star Seattle tribute band featuring Barrett Martin on drums, Duff McKagan & Krist Novoselic on bass, Kim Thayil, Jerry Cantrell, Rich Robinson, Rick Nielsen, & Andy Coe on guitars. Keyboards by Ryan Burns, and the 3 vocalists - the great Paul Rodgers (spinning the mic stand), William Duvall, and John Hogg. Totally epic night playing Led Zeppelin, Yardbirds, and The Firm songs as we honored Jimmy's contribution to music and raised a whole bunch of money for music education programs at EMP in Seattle. Thanks to everyone who participated in this truly amazing event. We're all Zep-heads when it gets right down to it. Twas an honor.
-Barrett
nothing to add other than to note that to me Radioactive is such a horrible song, I always feel embarrassed for Page when I hear/think of that pile of sonic dung

Kudzu Guillotine

whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:
Kudzu Guillotine wrote:From Barrett Martin's Facebook page

-Barrett
nothing to add other than to note that to me Radioactive is such a horrible song, I always feel embarrassed for Page when I hear/think of that pile of sonic dung
"Radioactive" only amounts to a snippet in the clip, "Rock n' Roll" is there in its entirety. Hopefully, some professionally shot footage will surface eventually. Re: this era of Page's career, I was paying attention to what he was doing with the Firm but preferred this album he did with Roy Harper which slipped past most folks' radar.

Last edited by Kudzu Guillotine on Fri Nov 20, 2015 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

whatwouldcooleydo?

Page and Roy Harper, now that's more like it!

Along with The Firm, I like to pretend Coverdale/Page never happened :lol:

Kudzu Guillotine

Kudzu Guillotine

The Unoriginal Originality of Led Zeppelin

Led Zeppelin, in 1968.
CREDIT PHOTOGRAPH BY DICK BARNATT/REDFERNS/GETTY

Kudzu Guillotine

Even Superlungs has to pay the pawn shop
Terry Reid, the greatest singer who never made it, might just find the sound he’s looking for.

Terry Reid in June 1973.
Michael Putland/Getty Images

Dean

Post by Dean »

The Raconteurs do a killer version of Reid's Rich Kid Blues

Kudzu Guillotine

211poundsofpork

Post by 211poundsofpork »

Hook. Line. Sinker. Can't help myself. I am down for this. A coworker of mine told me about it at work today. Loved the original release from years back. Heck, I even enjoyed all 3 versions of Comm. Breakdown. So yes, I am anticipating this one. Thanks Kudzu!

whatwouldcooleydo?

dime in the gutter

Post by dime in the gutter »

always assumed a thatch roofer of some sort. old and new. duality and shit.