Favorite Albums of the Decade (The 70s)

Know of a great band you think we'd like to hear about? Got some music news? Or just want to talk about music in general? Post it here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Re: Favorite Albums of the Decade (The 70s)

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

beantownbubba wrote:In order to say that the Who were at the top of their game, you have to ignore 6 years out of 10 (tho they were still a first rate touring band for much of that time).

Not sure what you're getting at here. sure the Who only had 4 albums so only 4 years but the albums were all top notch:

Who's Next 71
Quadrophenia 73
The Who By Numbers 75
Who Are You? 78
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:
beantownbubba wrote:In order to say that the Who were at the top of their game, you have to ignore 6 years out of 10 (tho they were still a first rate touring band for much of that time).

Not sure what you're getting at here. sure the Who only had 4 albums so only 4 years but the albums were all top notch:

Who's Next 71
Quadrophenia 73
The Who By Numbers 75
Who Are You? 78

Well AMG also gives them Live at Leeds (70) so there's no doubt about the early part of the decade :). To me, Quadrophenia's "pretty good" but surely way too long (i.e. uneven), the who by numbers is ok but gets the benefit of the doubt because it's The Who, and Who Are You only survives at all because it's The Who, in a way totally not justified by the actual music in the grooves. Can it be that we disagree, TC? :lol:
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

beantownbubba wrote:
Tequila Cowboy wrote:

Who's Next 71
Quadrophenia 73
The Who By Numbers 75
Who Are You? 78

Well AMG also gives them Live at Leeds (70) so there's no doubt about the early part of the decade :). To me, Quadrophenia's "pretty good" but surely way too long (i.e. uneven), the who by numbers is ok but gets the benefit of the doubt because it's The Who, and Who Are You only survives at all because it's The Who, in a way totally not justified by the actual music in the grooves. Can it be that we disagree, TC? :lol:

Saying Quadrophenia is "pretty good" is like saying Mark Twain could write ok. Damn! Quadrophenia is by far my favorite Who album, with A Quick One a distant second. In fact most of the time I'll tell you it's my second favorite album of all time after Exile on Main Street. Who me? disagree? :)

Clams

Post by Clams »

If you don't run you rust

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:
Saying Quadrophenia is "pretty good" is like saying Mark Twain could write ok. Damn! Quadrophenia is by far my favorite Who album, with A Quick One a distant second. In fact most of the time I'll tell you it's my second favorite album of all time after Exile on Main Street. Who me? disagree? :)

If Quadrophenia were a single disc, it would be great, or at least close enough so as not to matter. But to my ears there's basically a full album's worth of less than first rate material and i don't see how one can ignore that. I assume you think that this "2d half" (tho it's not simply 1 v. 2 of course) is better than i do. But i suspect that's what the disagreement is about (as opposed to, say, whether "Love Reign O'er Me" is a great song lol).

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Well similarly to why Exile is my favorite album of all time, the album just "flows" nicely. None of the songs are necessarily my favorite Who songs (maybe Drowned, 5:15 or Cut My Hair) but the album, like Exile, is a destination. It just transports you to somewhere else like all the very best albums do.

Clams

Post by Clams »

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Damn, you just cost me a buck, TC. I bet myself that you were gonna come back w/ something like "actually, i think love reign o'er me is the weakest track on the album." :lol:

So what you're saying is basically the exact opposite of what I'm saying (while i wouldn't have put it in those terms, i guess i'm saying that the album doesn't flow because it keeps hitting speed bumps of songs that do nothing for me). I gotta respect that. In fact, i love it.

We haven't touched on the "rock opera" aspects of the album. Maybe they help create the flow that you hear, but i know that for me, especially back when the album first came out, the fact that the story made no sense to me made me less patient w/ the album and the songs that don't stand so strongly by themselves. I'm guessing that at least part of our different takes on the album stem from our different reactions to the "concept".

Gator McKlusky

Post by Gator McKlusky »

There was too much great music in the 70's to narrow it down to five bands/artists.

And BTB, there ain't no speed bumps on Quadrophenia! My top 3 albums of all time rotate between Making Movies, London Calling and Quadrophenia. What doesnt make sense? Boy cant get girl, boy gets girl, girl screws over boy, boy pops a lot of pills, boy rides the train to Brighton, boy brawls with rockers, boy contemplates suicide, boy finds redemption.

In Athens I will spell it out for you if you still dont understand :lol:

Quadrophenia > Born To Run ;)
Looks like a bunch of little whiny fucksticks to me

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

How am i supposed to sleep tonite knowing there's an unsaved soul roaming around the swamps of florida?

I've had enough. I'm gonna have to cut my hair, get on the 5:15 and head down there so that the punk and the god, i mean grand, father can have a sit down b4 that boy wanders off and drowns. It's a dirty job, but maybe if i show him the real me i can prevent him from becoming a helpless dancer, fated to pirouetting thru the swamps (not even of Jersey!). Or maybe i can get my old friend Dr Jimmy to explain to him that yes, it is in his head, those sounds of sea and sand, that feeling that he is the sea. Or if worse comes to worst, the bellboy will hold him down while i hit him w/ a rock.

Gator McKlusky

Post by Gator McKlusky »

I thought that would get a rise out of you! :lol: You do know your Quadrophenia BTB!
Looks like a bunch of little whiny fucksticks to me

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Gator McKlusky wrote:I thought that would get a rise out of you! :lol: You do know your Quadrophenia BTB!

I will confess to having used a cheat sheet, but yeah, i've heard it once or twice ;)

Slipkid42

Post by Slipkid42 »

beantownbubba wrote:
Slipkid42 wrote:Allman Brothers - Their pre-deaths run is my favorite music still
Jackson Browne - Saturate Before Using, Late For The Sky, For Everyman, The Pretender, & Running On Empty might be the best 5 record run of the 70's
The Who - Were at the top of their game (esp Quadrephenia & Who's Next)
Neil Young - Best artist ever has his best decade
Bruce Springsteen - Hit the scene like a runaway American Dream

My next 5 were tough to leave out but I did

Led Zeppelin - There is shame in this omission
Rolling Stones - Just missed my cut (something about Mick always seemed phony to me)
Blue Oyster Cult - Nothing to ponder, their first 4-5 albums are damn near masterpieces (w/Secret Treaties being the best). Their live album On Your Feet, Or On Your Knees could be the 3rd best live album of the decade (behind the Allman's Fillmore & the Bangla Desh collaboration).
Lynyrd Skynyrd - Their untimely demise prolly kept them from getting any higher up my list
Bob Dylan - Absolutely love his stuff (but mostly done by other people)

In order to say that the Who were at the top of their game, you have to ignore 6 years out of 10 (tho they were still a first rate touring band for much of that time). Not only did the Stones match the Who's early decade output (whomever you want to put first), but they also came up w/ Some Girls before the end of the decade (i'll let TC speak to Black & Blue lol).

Gotta disagree w/ you on Jackson Browne. Those first three albums (you have 2 & 3 reversed, btw) are fabulous. The Pretender, not so much, despite some highlights. I guess fans disagree quite a bit about Running on Empty, but to me it falls measurably short of those first three - it's a fun and pretty cohesive album, the Jackson Browne album for non jackson browne fans, but imo the songwriting doesn't come anywhere near those others.

What I meant w/the Who was that however fabulous they were in the 60's (and they were very much so); they were that much better in the 70's. To me, that merits inclusion in my Top 5. As far as them vs. the Stones, all I've got to say is I REALLY like Quadrephenia & Who's Next (more than I like any Stone's record). The Stones & Zep could just as easily be anywhere my Top 5, though ('cept ahead of the Allman Bros.).

The Pretender is a touch schmaltzy, but no more so than say Steely Dan or Stevie Wonder can be (IMO). The writing is a cut below his earlier stuff, granted; but he still has the forlorn soul angle down pretty good. Sleeps Dark & Silent Gate alone makes it a must have for me (esp like Your Bright Baby Blues & The Only Child & Linda Paloma too). I feel the album was selling out done well. Running On Empty is somewhat unique for a live record, in that none of the stuff was on his earlier work. It is enhanced by the excellent accompaniment of David Lindley. It is a well conceived theme record of life on the road. Overplay has tarnished the luster of some of the songs, but Shaky Town, Rosie, Cocaine & Love Needs A Heart certainly make it worth an occasional listen. I do realize that I rate Jackson Browne higher than the average fan, but I've always dug melody. He's good at that.
A thousand clusterfucks will not kill my tiny light

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Slipkid42 wrote:
In order to say that the Who were at the top of their game, you have to ignore 6 years out of 10 (tho they were still a first rate touring band for much of that time). Not only did the Stones match the Who's early decade output (whomever you want to put first), but they also came up w/ Some Girls before the end of the decade (i'll let TC speak to Black & Blue lol).

Gotta disagree w/ you on Jackson Browne. Those first three albums (you have 2 & 3 reversed, btw) are fabulous. The Pretender, not so much, despite some highlights. I guess fans disagree quite a bit about Running on Empty, but to me it falls measurably short of those first three - it's a fun and pretty cohesive album, the Jackson Browne album for non jackson browne fans, but imo the songwriting doesn't come anywhere near those others.

What I meant w/the Who was that however fabulous they were in the 60's (and they were very much so); they were that much better in the 70's. To me, that merits inclusion in my Top 5. As far as them vs. the Stones, all I've got to say is I REALLY like Quadrephenia & Who's Next (more than I like any Stone's record). The Stones & Zep could just as easily be anywhere my Top 5, though ('cept ahead of the Allman Bros.).

The Pretender is a touch schmaltzy, but no more so than say Steely Dan or Stevie Wonder can be (IMO). The writing is a cut below his earlier stuff, granted; but he still has the forlorn soul angle down pretty good. Sleeps Dark & Silent Gate alone makes it a must have for me (esp like Your Bright Baby Blues & The Only Child & Linda Paloma too). I feel the album was selling out done well. Running On Empty is somewhat unique for a live record, in that none of the stuff was on his earlier work. It is enhanced by the excellent accompaniment of David Lindley. It is a well conceived theme record of life on the road. Overplay has tarnished the luster of some of the songs, but Shaky Town, Rosie, Cocaine & Love Needs A Heart certainly make it worth an occasional listen. I do realize that I rate Jackson Browne higher than the average fan, but I've always dug melody. He's good at that.[/quote]

If you, think Quadrophenia is "class A" Who, then sure, they're a legit pick for the all decade team. I gather that there are a few people here who agree w/ you on that one :lol: , tho i still say that Who Are You never sees the light of day if the Who's name is not on it.

I love the only child and daddy's tune (see? I like shmaltz too :) ) and Here Come Those Tears Again is fine when i hear it on the radio. This is totally unfair of me, i know, but i always felt that Sleep's Dark and Silent Gate should have been better, should have been "definitive." Why? 'cause i was young and the world was black & white and jackson browne was a god and he should have been able to figure it all out for me, despite his own pain and mishegas. As it is, i think song for adam is a better take on a similar subject.

You describe Running on Empty perfectly, espy Lindley's contributions. But I don't (and especially, didn't back then) look to Jackson Browne to make nice glossy professional pop records, even ones w/ neat and well executed concepts. There are plenty of people that do that well, better than he does. Jackson Browne was supposed to touch my heart and reach my soul and help me get through the long nites. I think you'd agree that's not Running on Empty. Unfair standard? Yep. <shrug>

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

beantownbubba wrote:Damn, you just cost me a buck, TC. I bet myself that you were gonna come back w/ something like "actually, i think love reign o'er me is the weakest track on the album." :lol:

So what you're saying is basically the exact opposite of what I'm saying (while i wouldn't have put it in those terms, i guess i'm saying that the album doesn't flow because it keeps hitting speed bumps of songs that do nothing for me). I gotta respect that. In fact, i love it.

We haven't touched on the "rock opera" aspects of the album. Maybe they help create the flow that you hear, but i know that for me, especially back when the album first came out, the fact that the story made no sense to me made me less patient w/ the album and the songs that don't stand so strongly by themselves. I'm guessing that at least part of our different takes on the album stem from our different reactions to the "concept".

I don't know why I feel like I do about the "flow", I just do. Like I said Quadrophenia and Exile have always been a matched pair for me. they're destinations more than anything else. Interestingly my first ever album was Tommy, but I don't like it nearly as well today.

Oh and don't think I didn't catch the bit about liking Quadrophenia and Who's Next better than any Stones record. :o That don't make no sense. :lol:

Of course, as I've said many many times, I think the Who would have been just fine without Daltrey and with Townshend doing all the singing. I mean he had a great voice and all but he didn't really add anything to the music. If you listen to Scoop (or Scooped as it is now with more songs) Daltrey just aped Pete's vocal inflections and phrasing. He just had a stronger voice.

cortez the killer

Post by cortez the killer »

Slipkid42 wrote:Rolling Stones - Just missed my cut (something about Mick always seemed phony to me)

You are entitled to your opinion, but you are not entitled to your own facts.
- DPM

tinnitus photography

Post by tinnitus photography »

Clams wrote:Wow, I'm just shocked that Blue Oyster Cult is being given the same level of cred/respect as all of the above-named artists who killed in the 70's. I'm not saying they suck, but in the top 10 with all those other bands?

i have no problem w/ that.

Buck Dharma is one of my favorite guitarists ever. they truly did something new w/ the metal/psych/whatever genre they were working in and defining.

sactochris

Post by sactochris »

beantownbubba wrote: I do realize that I rate Jackson Browne higher than the average fan, but I've always dug melody. He's good at that.

I have always rated him pretty high myself. I also named my son after him.
Keep calm and have a cigar

Clams

Post by Clams »

sactochris wrote:
beantownbubba wrote: I do realize that I rate Jackson Browne higher than the average fan, but I've always dug melody. He's good at that.

Add him to the list of artists who haven't done anything worth squat since the 1970's.

cortez the killer

Clams wrote:
sactochris wrote:

Add him to the list of artists who haven't done anything worth squat since the 1970's.

I thought this was your wedding song Clams.
- DPM

sactochris

Post by sactochris »

Clams wrote:
sactochris wrote:

I'm Alive is a very good album.
Keep calm and have a cigar

Clams

Post by Clams »

cortez the killer wrote:I thought this was your wedding song Clams.

Nope. That would be...

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

sactochris wrote:

Actually, to be fair to slipkid, that's his quote. I screwed it up when i copied it to respond. But i am a huge fan of JB's first few albums.

tinnitus photography

Post by tinnitus photography »

Clams wrote:
sactochris wrote:

Yo La Tengo's version of this shows that a good song is buried in there somewhere

Clams

Post by Clams »

Good call Tinnitus. Somebody's Baby is a great song. It's especially great when Stacy Hamilton heads into that dugout with Ron Johnson (Audio Consultant).

So I retract what I said about JB not doing anything great since the 70's. Change it to the early 80's. :lol:

Slipkid42

Post by Slipkid42 »

Well 1st off I've admitted that I've always rated Jackson Browne higher than the average fan would. His music and lyrics touched me. Most of my buddies would tell me to get that pussy shit off the stereo, whenever they hopped in my ride. Usually I'd oblige. He ain't for everybody (I've always known that). His first 3 records are as fine an opening trifecta as anyone has had. Few artists can convey their emotions as well as he was able to on those 3. No doubt he sold out somewhat on The Pretender. I was mostly disappointed that he wasn't just 'my' guy anymore. A whole bunch of 1/2 ass fans were singing his praises (over his weakest material). Running On Empty cemented his transition to pop star. While I don't think those 2 records measure up to his first 3; they are still very solid in retrospect. I am hard pressed to think of any band that had 5 consecutive better albums in the 70's. Therefore his inclusion in my Top 5. If it was 1982 JB would be in my all-time Top 5. Since 30 years of meager output has passed, he is prolly in my Top 25 now. He's had about a dozen good songs since ROE (The Barricades Of Heaven being my favorite. I saw him last year in Baltimore & he still puts on a great show (sprinkled w/requests).

TC - I don't know if Quadrephenia & Who's Next are better than Exile or not. I only know that I like them better.
A thousand clusterfucks will not kill my tiny light

dime in the gutter

Post by dime in the gutter »

cortez the killer

Pulling out an all-time great 3DD thread. It's got:

Rudeness
Ball busting
List making
Genre defining
Pedanticism
Obsessing over musical minutiae
70's music
Punk Rock
Dad Rock
Noses getting bent outta shape

I also believe there is some evidence of Zip's infamous banning in there.
- DPM

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Not to mention some Joelle haiku
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Well, that was certainly a trip down memory lane. A sigh of relief that it isn't more embarrassing than it is, but it's plenty embarrassing enough, thank you very much.

Note the number of artists/albums mentioned that have worked their way into artist/feature of the week presentations.

And where the fuck is that Gator rascal? I miss him. And I clearly didn't give him enough shit for naming Dire Straits in his top 3 :lol: