Please help! Which show do I attend tomorrow?

Know of a great band you think we'd like to hear about? Got some music news? Or just want to talk about music in general? Post it here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

ChicoHarris

Please help! Which show do I attend tomorrow?

Post by ChicoHarris »

I've been a Johnny Winter fan since Jimmy Carter was President. Johnny Winter shows are hellacious fun and his band is always top-notch. I even left a Grateful Dead show early once to go see him play a club. I love being a Mississippian and so, of course this makes me love Johnny Winter all the more.
I've seen him more than my share of times, but not since Bill Clinton was President.
He's getting pretty damned old and plays in the Delta tomorrow night over in Leland, Mississippi, headlining the Highway 61 Blues Festival. The next day, a Mississippi Blues Trail marker is going to be erected in Leland honoring him (and brother Edgar). The great man is going to be in attendance, and will probably play.
Going is a no-brainer, right?
Except...
Andy Shernoff is playing the HiTone in Memphis.
I loved the Dictators in the 1970s, but never came close to seeing them. And now Shernoff is playing Memphis the same night Johnny Winter is down the road in Leland. This Bob Mehr-written Memphis Commercial; Appeal story makes it sound like the show to see:
http://www.gomemphis.com/news/2010/jun/ ... -memories/
What to do, people, what to do?

"Rock and Roll Hoochie Koo" Johnny Winter
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-SeLISb0xyg

"(I Live For) Cars and Girls" the Dictators
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7H5rqaEzYcY

Emily

Re: Please help! Which show do I attend tomorrow?

Post by Emily »

I've seen Johnny Winter twice in the past five years or so and the shows were great, but Winter is very obviously past his prime. He didn't do most of the singing and he just seemed really frail. Like you said, he's pretty old. And since you've already seen him several times, why not hit up the other show?
she was all provocative and everything
until she saw what I was capable of

Flood18

Post by Flood18 »

Emily wrote:I've seen Johnny Winter twice in the past five years or so and the shows were great, but Winter is very obviously past his prime. He didn't do most of the singing and he just seemed really frail. Like you said, he's pretty old. And since you've already seen him several times, why not hit up the other show?

Agreed, i saw him at Xmas Jam two years ago, and while really good, it was tough watching him. At times seemed to struggle and like he wasnt right. I did hear however he had the flu or some shit that night so his actions could be understandable

scotto

Post by scotto »

I saw Johnny Winter in the '80s and he was a screaming bore.
I never got a chance to see The Dictators (though I did see The Del Lords when Handsome Dick Manitoba was their roadie/tour impresario/stage-side bon vivant); I'd jump at the chance to see Shernoff.