6-Pack (1992)

Know of a great band you think we'd like to hear about? Got some music news? Or just want to talk about music in general? Post it here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

cortez the killer

6-Pack (1992)

Post by cortez the killer »

Mix & match and put your favorite six-pack together. It's 1992...
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
You are entitled to your opinion, but you are not entitled to your own facts.
- DPM

Iowan

Re: 6-Pack (1992)

Post by Iowan »

ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

goin by my pc library:

Dashboard Saviors - Kitty
Vic Chesnutt - West of Rome
Lucinda Williams - Sweet Old Word
REM - Automatic for the People
Neil Young - Harvest Moon
Kris Kristofferson - Live at the Philharmonic
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
Last edited by Zip City on Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

bovine knievel

Post by bovine knievel »

ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
“Excited people get on daddy’s nerves.” - M. Cooley

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

What's a good website for checking year-by-year album releases? Wikipedia is awful (no Neil Young or Uncle Tupelo on their 1992 Album Release page)

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

Zip City wrote:What's a good website for checking year-by-year album releases? Wikipedia is awful (no Neil Young or Uncle Tupelo on their 1992 Album Release page)

I'm looking here, which does include Harvest Moon and March 16-20, 1992. Lots of pages to sift through though.

vacant

Post by vacant »

Alice In Chains: Dirt
Black Crowes: Southern Harmony And Musical Companion
Kyuss: Blues For The Red Sun
Los Lobos: Kiko
Mother Hips: Back To The Grotto
Screaming Trees: Sweet Oblivion

Back-up 6-pack:

Black Sabbath: Dehumanizer
Cracker: Cracker
Faith No More: Angel Dust
Monster Magnet: Spine of God
Social Distortion: Somewhere Between Heaven And Hell
Neil Young: Harvest Moon
Last edited by vacant on Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kudzu Guillotine

That was a tough one. I tried to keep it down to albums I was actually listening to back then rather than ones I discovered later such as the Uncle Tupelo, Los Lobos' Kiko and many others, I'm sure.

ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage

Bubbling under:

ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Wow, i could swear i posted on this thread earlier :shock: Anyway, here's my top 11 from '92. I assume i did it in order but i don't really remember.

Dr. Dre – The Chronic
REM – Automatic for the People
Lucinda Williams – Sweet Old World
Pavement – Slanted and Enchanted
The Black Crowes – The Southern Harmony and Musical Companion
The Beastie Boys – Check Your Head
The Gin Blossoms – New Miserable Experience
Sugar – Copper Blue
Freedy Johnston – Can You Fly
Chris Bell – I am the Cosmos
The Chills – Soft Bomb

Can't figure out why I don't have at least Kiko on there among several that others have mentioned. OTOH, i'm surprised by the very few mentions of Dr. Dre & REM.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

Kudzu Guillotine

It's hard to put myself back there but from what I can remember, Automatic For the People and Our Time In Eden were in near constant rotation in my CD player back in '92. It was kind of a tough time as an R.E.M. fan because at that point they hadn't toured since '89 and wouldn't hit the road again until '95 in support of Monster.

cortez the killer

Zip City wrote:Image

Inexcusable omission on my part.
- DPM

cortez the killer

Kudzu Guillotine wrote:I tried to keep it down to albums I was actually listening to back then.

Other than the Tupelo record, I was listening to all those albums in '92. For the record, I did not have that criteria in mind when I started this thread. All I need now is for Bill in CT to claim one of my selected albums wasn't from '92 (or wasn't intended for a '92 release) and the thread is an official 3DD entry.
- DPM

Kudzu Guillotine

cortez the killer wrote:
Kudzu Guillotine wrote:I tried to keep it down to albums I was actually listening to back then.

Other than the Tupelo record, I was listening to all those albums in '92. For the record, I did not have that criteria in mind when I started this thread.

I figured you didn't but for whatever reason, I wanted to stay true to what I was actually listening to back then. I'm venturing a guess that I wasn't even aware of Uncle Tupelo at that point other than maybe reading their name in a magazine somewhere. I'm pretty sure the first "alt.country" band I really sat up and took notice of in those days was the Bottle Rockets when "Radar Gun" went into rotation at the radio station I was working at in '94. I liked the Jayhawks but not enough to seek out a lot of their stuff. I think I had an EP with "Martin's Song" on it that I got from the station but that was pretty much it for me then. Circa the early to mid-90's I was immersed in stuff like Vs., Siamese Dream and that first Counting Crows record. That's not to say some Spin Doctors, 4 Non Blondes and Brother Kane weren't mixed in there too.

cortez the killer

Kudzu Guillotine wrote:
cortez the killer wrote:

Other than the Tupelo record, I was listening to all those albums in '92. For the record, I did not have that criteria in mind when I started this thread.

I figured you didn't but for whatever reason, I wanted to stay true to what I was actually listening to back then. I'm venturing a guess that I wasn't even aware of Uncle Tupelo at that point other than maybe reading their name in a magazine somewhere. I'm pretty sure the first "alt.country" band I really sat up and took notice of in those days was the Bottle Rockets when "Radar Gun" went into rotation at the radio station I was working at in '94. I liked the Jayhawks but not enough to seek out a lot of their stuff. I think I had an EP with "Martin's Song" on it that I got from the station but that was pretty much it for me then. Circa the early to mid-90's I was pretty much immersed in stuff like Vs., Siamese Dream and that first Counting Crows record. That's not to say some Spin Doctors, 4 Non Blondes and Brother Kane wasn't mixed in there too.

You are far more invested in alt.country and its roots than I am. I don't know why I was listening to The Jayhawks in '92, but I was, and it sounded like nothing else (other than Ragged Glory) that was out there at the time. I had a radio show at the time (sophomore year in college). There were three of us that did the show. We played the shit out of that album. The first year our time slot was Sunday from 1 am - 3 am. By our senior year we had the 4pm - 6pm slot on Fridays and people were taping our shows. Funny shit. It was me, a dude who was from Fairfield, CT and is now a a higher-up @ Yahoo, and the son of the former Secretary of the Treasury's son. Diversity at its finest!
- DPM

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

cortez the killer wrote:

Other than the Tupelo record, I was listening to all those albums in '92.

Same

Kudzu Guillotine

Even though I loved Prine, Waylon, Willie, DAC, etc. in the 70s and Lone Justice, Jason & the Scorchers, etc. in the 80's I was actually pretty clueless that that sort of music was experiencing a rebirth in the latter part of the 80's and the early 90's via bands like Uncle Tupelo, the Gourds, the Jayhawks, etc. I was reading about it but hardly anyone else I knew paid as much attention to music as I did so it took stuff like "Radar Gun", Webb Wilder's "Tough It Out" and later, "Drown" falling into my lap for me to finally sit up and take notice. A friend of mine at the radio station I worked at in the early 90's had a program called The Sunday Night Alternative (which would soon be a dime a dozen across the dial) that he got to program own his own. It was mostly made up of his jam band favorites like Phish and Widespread (and edgy-ier stuff like P.J. Harvey) but he also mixed in some Southern Culture On the Skids and Uncle Tupelo. Other than SCOTS (who were notorious for their live shows in the area), I still wasn't paying real close attention. When I first heard "Drown" a few years later and couldn't get it out of my head (resulting in a late night trip to Record Bar/Tracks), that's when it finally started to take hold. It was pretty much downhill for me from there...

RolanK
Location: drivin' home early Sunday morning through Bakersfield

Post by RolanK »

ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa

dogstar

Post by dogstar »

My taste appears to have mellowed a bit since then, but I know I listened to all these at the time.

I know I also had the following because I can remember seeing the tours: 69 Psalms by Ministry, Sweet Oblivion by Screaming Trees, Southern Harmony... by Black Crowes, Magic & Loss by Lou Reed, Henry's Dream by Nick Cave, Seven by James and U.F.Orb by The Orb. I also had Automatic for the People and both the Bruce albums.
"Guitars talk. If you really want to write a song, ask a guitar." Neil Young

Duke Silver

Post by Duke Silver »

Just tried to do this but realized '92 was about one year before I got into music. All the albums I remember from that time came out in '93. :oops:
ain't no static on the gospel radio

Flying Rabbit

Post by Flying Rabbit »

Image Image Image Image Image Image

So many from this year. It was hard to put a favorites together, because to be honest many of the ones already listed could very well be on it as well. But these are the ones I still go to *a lot*. I'm way into the Jayhawks and Uncle Tupelo albums, but wasn't in 92.

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Duke Silver wrote:Just tried to do this but realized '92 was about one year before I got into music. All the albums I remember from that time came out in '93. :oops:

I was 7 years old in 1992. I just listed my current favorite albums that came out that year. At that time, I was just listening to whatever my dad was listening to (which included Hollywood Town Hall and Dirt).

rlipps

Post by rlipps »

I limited this to albums I was actually listening to in 1992.

Duke Silver

Post by Duke Silver »

oops, wrong thread
Last edited by Duke Silver on Tue Jul 03, 2012 12:10 pm, edited 3 times in total.
ain't no static on the gospel radio

joelle

Post by joelle »

in my way back machine, for 1992, i am just married.
i know these albums may or may not have been released in 1992, but this is what i was playing over and over. probably on cassette. word.

john hiatt: his bring the family and slow turning were the soundtrack to my years on the road after high school. "finding myself"
but it was stolen moments that i played through the early 1990's and in 1992, i was just married. his growth and change in song lyrics were reflecting my own maturation.
i love john hiatt

lyle lovett: joshua judges ruth ( i adore his dry wit as seen here in this witty take on 3 OT books)while this is not my favorite lovett album, i was a huge fan and thought he could do no wrong. there are a few songs on here that really resonated with me; family reserve in particular. lovett, like hiatt is a master wordsmith. and through both their works there is that little bit of gospel, soul, blues influence steaming just under their (mild? alt?) country.

the cowboy junkies: margo timmins voice= an angel. similar story to the other two. i am consistent in my fanhood. black eyed man was not the (underground?) critical/ somewhat commercial success that the trinity sessions and caution horses were, but i loved so much of it.

and it is where i heard of townes van zandt. to live it to fly became somewhat of a silent mantra for me.

come on. 1952 Vincent Black Lightning kept this in constant rotation long into 1992. and it made me want to buy a motorcycle soo badly.

maybe i am iconoclastic? but i think not so much.

as for these wiki thoughts...
cannot say i completely agree, yet i am hard pressed to completely disagree...
"Upon release the album received mixed to positive reviews. Rolling Stone gave the album a positive review (a combined review with its companion album, Human Touch), but thought that the aims of the two albums "would have been better realized by a single, more carefully shaped collection." In a mostly positive review, Allmusic said of the album: "While Human Touch was a disappointing album of second-rate material, Lucky Town is an ambitious collection addressing many of Springsteen's major concerns and moving them forward.""

not my (usual) taste, but it was my husband's favorite ( everything: singer, album, rock chick)...so i heard a lot of it. PJ is a dude. girl can wail. learned and came to appreciate and adore her myself.

Kudzu Guillotine

I totally overlooked that Keith album. Probably wouldn't have made my top six but it still got plenty of spins nonetheless. I also love the Lyle Lovett. Believe it or not, it was getting a lot of airplay at our radio station at the time (which was a rock n' roll format). I already had a copy on CD but my Program Director gave me an extra copy on cassette to give to my brother with the words, "here's one for your brother for the boat. Put this on and you won't want to come back". I also enjoy "Family Preserve" a great deal along with "Church", which is great dinnertime music.

Bill in CT

Post by Bill in CT »

cortez the killer wrote:All I need now is for Bill in CT to claim one of my selected albums wasn't from '92 (or wasn't intended for a '92 release) and the thread is an official 3DD entry.

Nope...all your entries came out in 1992. It's a great 6-pack too...I also own all 6 of those.
:D
The closer you get to the meaning
The sooner you'll know that you're dreaming

Cubfan06

Post by Cubfan06 »

A great year for music. I whole heartedly wanted to put New Miserable Experience, Slanted and Enchanted and Sweet Oblivion into my six pack. Three outstanding albums.
But:

1) Beastie Boys- Check Your Head (One of my favorite albums of all time)
2) Rage Against the Machine- Self Titled
3) Sublime- 40 OZ to Freedom
4) The Cure-Wish
5) Pantera- Vulgar Display of Power

Bill in CT

Post by Bill in CT »

The closer you get to the meaning
The sooner you'll know that you're dreaming