Dexateens Question

Know of a great band you think we'd like to hear about? Got some music news? Or just want to talk about music in general? Post it here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Frog Man

Dexateens Question

Post by Frog Man »

Who sings Neil Armstrong on the Hardwire Healing album? It doesn't sound like Elliott but I could be mistaken. Also, can anyone provide any background info for this band. I have been a huge fan ever since I saw them open for DBT 5 or 6 years ago but I don't know a whole lot about them. Haven't they had a lot of different members outside of Elliott and the Matt Patton? Has anyone heard or seen live Lee Baines new band? The Dexateens are an incredible band, I hope the do some more stuff in the future.

Gator McKlusky

Re: Dexateens Question

Post by Gator McKlusky »

Pretty sure its Elliott singing.

Lots of info here (coutesy of dime)

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=399
Looks like a bunch of little whiny fucksticks to me

Frog Man

Post by Frog Man »

Thanks Gator. Basically what I want to know is what is the name of the guitar player (I think he had a beard) who sung harmonies and some tunes (I think) when I saw them open for DBT 5 or 6 or 7 years ago. I always thought he sung lead vox on Neil Armstrong but I'm probably wrong. Any other info is appreciated too, thanks!

Gator McKlusky

Post by Gator McKlusky »

The bearded guy is John Smith. (I think)
Looks like a bunch of little whiny fucksticks to me

Frog Man

Post by Frog Man »

Yes, that is who I was referring to, thanks! He sung lead vocals on some songs, right? Which ones?

olwiggum
Site Admin

Post by olwiggum »

John and Elliott sounded a lot alike, but John sang that song when I saw them at the Nick once. A few days after he quit, they played here in the Shoals and Lee sang it. Elliott sang everything else that night.

Frog Man

Post by Frog Man »

Thanks for the info guys! I have one more question (two really). What albums are John on? What albums are Lee on?

olwiggum
Site Admin

Post by olwiggum »

Lee played guitar on "Singlewide".

John was on "Hardwire Healing", "Lost and Found" and "Red Dust Rising" as far as I know. Without pulling out the liner notes, I don't know for sure.

dime in the gutter

Post by dime in the gutter »

john smith is/was a huge part of the dexateens sound. he (along with matt patton, craig pickering and elliott mcpherson) was a founding member of dexateens. i'm pretty sure he appears on all albums with the exception of destroy me. he wrote and sings many tunes. dude is a witch on the guitar.

w/o john smith, the dexateens are a completely different band. boy was greasy good and was decreed by the rock gods to play lead and trade licks with elliott. their harmonies were other worldly. one of a kind sound and band.

i could be wrong........

one belt loop

Post by one belt loop »

We've got a Lee Bains thread going around here somewhere, too. Several us have seen the new band and we think it's fabulous. Very different from the Dexateens.
Matt playing like an evil motherfucker w/ rhythm with a capital MPLAEMWR.

- bubba

olwiggum
Site Admin

Post by olwiggum »

You're probably right, Dime. I only have downloads of the first 2 records, so I don't have liner notes.

blackwll

Post by blackwll »

Dexateens played in downtown Auburn, AL after the P. Hood show just outside of town. Lee Bains opened with his band. Blew the roof off the place. It cleared out a bit after Bains band played, although he played with the 'teens as well. Great show although Elliot had some trouble with his PA and vocals coming through. Bains in particular laid it down. Matt Patton is a goofy fellow on stage, had a great time. First time seeing the 'teens although I have seen Bains a couple of times. Well worth staying out past my normal bedtime and making it past the gauntlet of college and post-college students there in the summer. They rocked so hard it kind of took the bloom off of what was otherwise a great, if mellow, Patterson Hood show. Patch N Dent recorded this show as well as Patterson/Pollies show in Waverly. Hopefully he will be able to post it. :D

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

That is John singing "Neil Armstrong" on the album.
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.