Artist of the Week 6/25/2012 Lee Bains III & The Glory Fires

Know of a great band you think we'd like to hear about? Got some music news? Or just want to talk about music in general? Post it here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Kudzu Guillotine

Re: Artist of the Week 6/25/2012 Lee Bains III & The Glory F

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

New Daytrotter session from Lee Bains III & the Glory Fires. Click on the image below to go to the website.

Last edited by Kudzu Guillotine on Fri Aug 03, 2012 12:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

ScottyC

Post by ScottyC »

I wore my LB3 shirt last weekend and had a number of people stop me to say they like the shirt. Felt like the boys are starting to get some pub.

one belt loop

Post by one belt loop »

Matt playing like an evil motherfucker w/ rhythm with a capital MPLAEMWR.

- bubba

rlipps

Post by rlipps »

one belt loop wrote:

Was just getting ready to post this, really cool video and a great tune.

blackwll

Post by blackwll »

I saw Patterson Hood, Dexateens, Lee Bains and the Pollies on the same night (7/7/12 in Auburn). Lee Bains was hands down the best, on that night.

rlipps

Post by rlipps »

New tour dates here:

http://thegloryfires.com/shows/

Hoping to make either the Louisville or Knoxville show. Probably wait and see where they end up playing in Louisville, went to Glossary at Zazoo's a few weeks ago and that place was a joke.

RolanK
Location: drivin' home early Sunday morning through Bakersfield

Post by RolanK »

Don't know if this on has been posted before. If so, I apologize.

Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa

blackwll

Post by blackwll »

So how is the Norway tour going?

RolanK

Post by RolanK »

blackwll wrote:So how is the Norway tour going?

Starts wednesday this week. From their facebook they've got 8 gigs booked. A couple medium festival gigs and the rest are small clubs. They sure have some driving to do :?
The festival gigs should give some good press coverage. They already receive recommendations from various blogs, so hopefully there should be audience as well.
Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa

one belt loop

Post by one belt loop »

RolanK wrote:

Starts wednesday this week. From their facebook they've got 8 gigs booked. A couple medium festival gigs and the rest are small clubs. They sure have some driving to do :?
The festival gigs should give some good press coverage. They already receive recommendations from various blogs, so hopefully there should be audience as well.

Are you getting to any of the club shows, or just the closest festival?

- bubba

RolanK

Post by RolanK »

one belt loop wrote:
RolanK wrote:

I will see one of the festival shows (they are on the bill together with Rod Stewart :? ), and one, hopefully two club shows. One of the club shows are here in the little sleepy town outside of Oslo where I live. I somehow managed to convince some people that I know who are "in the business" to book them for that gig. Doing my best to spread the word and make sure the venue is packed with people. There is one more club gig a bit further south that may be possible.
Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa

one belt loop

Post by one belt loop »

RolanK wrote:
one belt loop wrote:
RolanK wrote:Starts wednesday this week. From their facebook they've got 8 gigs booked. A couple medium festival gigs and the rest are small clubs. They sure have some driving to do :?

I will see one of the festival shows (they are on the bill together with Rod Stewart :? ), and one, hopefully two club shows. One of the club shows are here in the little sleepy town outside of Oslo where I live. I somehow managed to convince some people that I know who are "in the business" to book them for that gig. Doing my best to spread the word and make sure the venue is packed with people. There is one more club gig a bit further south that may be possible.

That is excellent! I hope they go over really well.

- bubba

ramonz

Post by ramonz »

Very late to this party, but listened to There is a Bomb on my run today and loved it. Sure it's been said, but so (so) many DBT references - well, not really references, but topics and themes from DBT songs.

RolanK

Post by RolanK »

I'm absolutely blown away by their new album. Must have listened to it 10 times already during the two days since it came out.

Here is a live recording of one of my favorite tracks right now.

Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

After half a couple listens, I thought this was heads and shoulders above anything else released this year; after reading the lyric sheet, I think this may be one of the best records I've heard in years.
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

Mundane Mayhem

Post by Mundane Mayhem »

Smitty wrote:After half a couple listens, I thought this was heads and shoulders above anything else released this year; after reading the lyric sheet, I think this may be one of the best records I've heard in years.
It's phenomenal.
All it takes is one wicked heart, a pile of money, and a chain of folks just doing their jobs

RolanK

Post by RolanK »

Smitty wrote:After half a couple listens, I thought this was heads and shoulders above anything else released this year; after reading the lyric sheet, I think this may be one of the best records I've heard in years.
Think I can agree with this. At least topping my album of the year so far list. He's cramming a lot of words in there at times, but lyrics are really strong. The mix is also such that its possible to understand whats being sung. The instruments are separated a bit more than the previous one as well. Some really catchy songs, sing-a-long material.
Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

I don't want to anoint things at that level this quickly, but it's really damn good.

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

Bought the vinyl last night--great show!--and am still trying to convince myself not to bust it open till I can share it with friends this weekend.
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

Mundane Mayhem

Post by Mundane Mayhem »

Love the format of the lyrics booklet with the vinyl version. Hope more bands start to do this.
All it takes is one wicked heart, a pile of money, and a chain of folks just doing their jobs

Flea

Post by Flea »

RolanK wrote:The mix is also such that its possible to understand whats being sung. The instruments are separated a bit more than the previous one as well.
Must be my ears, but as I was listening on the way home, I was wishing the vox had been mixed more prominently.
Now it's dark.

rlipps

Post by rlipps »

Flea wrote:
RolanK wrote:The mix is also such that its possible to understand whats being sung. The instruments are separated a bit more than the previous one as well.
Must be my ears, but as I was listening on the way home, I was wishing the vox had been mixed more prominently.
I wish they were a little higher in the mix too, but they're more prominent than on the previous album.

LBRod

Post by LBRod »

rlipps wrote:
Flea wrote:
I wish they were a little higher in the mix too, but they're more prominent than on the previous album.
Bingo.
Don't hurt people, and don't take their stuff.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Turns out the boys are playing Boston on the night of our carbo load dinner the night before the Pan Mass Challenge charity bike ride for the Jimmy Fund/Dana-Farber Cancer Institute (our team is bryan's bikers). Given the logistics, I won't be able to make the show, but if any of you are in touch with the band, please let them know that they are very welcome to join us for dinner. It's a very easy, very short (in non-rush hours) drive between the club and our house, the food is delicious, the beer is cold and it's all free. A few days notice is all I need so we can make sure we have the necessary quantities on hand. And if they come I'll be happy to buy a bunch of cd's for the assembled multitudes.

Needless to say, all local 3dd members are welcome as well (for a small donation of course).
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

dime in the gutter

Post by dime in the gutter »

beantownbubba wrote:Turns out the boys are playing Boston on the night of our carbo load dinner the night before the Pan Mass Challenge charity bike ride for the Jimmy Fund/Dana-Farber Cancer Institute (our team is bryan's bikers). Given the logistics, I won't be able to make the show, but if any of you are in touch with the band, please let them know that they are very welcome to join us for dinner. It's a very easy, very short (in non-rush hours) drive between the club and our house, the food is delicious, the beer is cold and it's all free. A few days notice is all I need so we can make sure we have the necessary quantities on hand. And if they come I'll be happy to buy a bunch of cd's for the assembled multitudes.

Needless to say, all local 3dd members are welcome as well (for a small donation of course).
a great, great post.

schlanky

Post by schlanky »

BTB, I have the same problem with Bains shows. They always come up at the wrong time for me to make them.

My take after some Pale Ales:

Youth Detention is far and away the best LBIII & GF to date. The lyrics are less buried than Dereconstructed, but still too buried for me on many songs. Even if you put out an album that doesn't resemble your live show, I'd rather be able to hear all the lyrics rather than have to read along---if you have great lyrics, let us hear it. Put the lyrics forward in the studio, and then I'm cool with live shows that are loud and raw because I don't have to hear all the lyrics because I know them from hearing them on the album.

That criticism aside, where they've come from the first two albums to this is an enormous jump.

Quoting BTB's post so it would still be on the bottom post:
beantownbubba wrote:Turns out the boys are playing Boston on the night of our carbo load dinner the night before the Pan Mass Challenge charity bike ride for the Jimmy Fund/Dana-Farber Cancer Institute (our team is bryan's bikers). Given the logistics, I won't be able to make the show, but if any of you are in touch with the band, please let them know that they are very welcome to join us for dinner. It's a very easy, very short (in non-rush hours) drive between the club and our house, the food is delicious, the beer is cold and it's all free. A few days notice is all I need so we can make sure we have the necessary quantities on hand. And if they come I'll be happy to buy a bunch of cd's for the assembled multitudes.

Let the outside air in

coornelius

Post by coornelius »

I love that this new record has a sense of dynamics that wasn't present on the last one. more quiet/loud than just straight up loud. it's a lot to digest, but I think it's great.

Will

Post by Will »

I went to see John Moreland (great, of course) Friday night and Lee was in the crowd. I spoke to him before the show started and told him how much I loved the new record. I swear to God he has got to be the nicest guy on the planet. It's always a plus when people who make art you like also seem to be good people.

schlanky

Post by schlanky »

The Nick sent out an email today announcing LB3 & GF shows on Friday 11/17 and Saturday 11/18.

https://www.thenickrocks.com/calendar

Tickets went on sale today. $10 per night for advance tickets.
Let the outside air in

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

I can't remember the last DBT show aside from maybe HC that Lee wasn't in the crowd for. I've gotten as accustomed to seeing him at shows as I have the usual suspects. Always goes out of his way to say hey as well; I'd think the world of him even if he wasn't behind some of the most unique, eloquent and socially-conscious lyrics in modern rock music. I also love it when an artist is also unashamedly a music junkie like we are, and Lee's love of just bleeds through. I started out just wanting to echo Will's sentiment below in the post below and didn't intend to write a fawning love letter about Lee, but goddammit he's just good people and if it comes off like I got a mancrush on him then so be it. :lol:
Will wrote:I went to see John Moreland (great, of course) Friday night and Lee was in the crowd. I spoke to him before the show started and told him how much I loved the new record. I swear to God he has got to be the nicest guy on the planet. It's always a plus when people who make art you like also seem to be good people.
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.