Artist of the Week 6/25/2012 Lee Bains III & The Glory Fires

Know of a great band you think we'd like to hear about? Got some music news? Or just want to talk about music in general? Post it here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Will

Re: Artist of the Week 6/25/2012 Lee Bains III & The Glory F

Post by Will »

Smitty wrote:I can't remember the last DBT show aside from maybe HC that Lee wasn't in the crowd for. I've gotten as accustomed to seeing him at shows as I have the usual suspects. Always goes out of his way to say hey as well; I'd think the world of him even if he wasn't behind some of the most unique, eloquent and socially-conscious lyrics in modern rock music. I also love it when an artist is also unashamedly a music junkie like we are, and Lee's love of just bleeds through. I started out just wanting to echo Will's sentiment below in the post below and didn't intend to write a fawning love letter about Lee, but goddammit he's just good people and if it comes off like I got a mancrush on him then so be it. :lol:
Will wrote:I went to see John Moreland (great, of course) Friday night and Lee was in the crowd. I spoke to him before the show started and told him how much I loved the new record. I swear to God he has got to be the nicest guy on the planet. It's always a plus when people who make art you like also seem to be good people.
That's pretty funny--we actually saw Lee and Matt having supper together at The Porter before Friday night's show, then Lee was sitting a few rows ahead of us in the balcony. Didn't get a chance to say hello, but he looked like he was having a blast, of course.

rlipps

Post by rlipps »

Saw Lee and the Glory Fires last night in Lexington, KY and they killed it as usual. Played 12-13 songs, leaned heavily on new material. It was also my first time at The Burl, which is a newer venue in Lexington's distillery district. It was a cool place, and I'm hoping to go back there in January to see John Moreland.

hanklow

Post by hanklow »

I'll see them for the first time in early November.

rlipps

Post by rlipps »

LB3 & the Glory Fires will be recording a live album this weekend during their 2-night stand at The Nick in Birmingham.

RolanK
Location: drivin' home early Sunday morning through Bakersfield

Post by RolanK »

rlipps wrote:LB3 & the Glory Fires will be recording a live album this weekend during their 2-night stand at The Nick in Birmingham.
Cool!
Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa

rlipps

Post by rlipps »

Posted this over in the political thread too, but here's video of Lee and Eric driving around in the back of a pickup, playing songs and trying to drum up support for Doug Jones on Monday in Alabama

https://vimeo.com/246922557

rlipps

Post by rlipps »

While on their current European tour, Lee fell and suffered a fractured leg and twisted ankle while in Spain, but still played the show that night sitting on a bar stool.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

this is one time that one really does hope that the musician is on some seriously good drugs. Ouch! Kudos to Lee for going on w/ the show.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

rlipps

Post by rlipps »

New summer dates up at:

http://www.thegloryfires.com/

Also, here's a couple links to a few of their SXSW 2018 performances:

rlipps

Post by rlipps »

New live album from the Glory Fires unexpectedly dropped today. It's called Live at the Nick and you can download it or stream it at all the usual places. Also, they've added some new tour dates at the website: http://www.thegloryfires.com

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

rlipps wrote:New live album from the Glory Fires unexpectedly dropped today. It's called Live at the Nick and you can download it or stream it at all the usual places. Also, they've added some new tour dates at the website: http://www.thegloryfires.com

That gig in Fayetteville is a Friday and in kind of a shithole (a nice one, just one I don't like) and I think I'll go up for it--they're playing here the night before, too--if for no other reason than to gather my friends and raise a crowd.
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

RolanK
Location: drivin' home early Sunday morning through Bakersfield

Post by RolanK »

rlipps wrote:New live album from the Glory Fires unexpectedly dropped today. It's called Live at the Nick and you can download it or stream it at all the usual places. Also, they've added some new tour dates at the website: http://www.thegloryfires.com

Awesome! I know what I will be doing this weekend.
Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

I don't think I'd describe them as sounding like ZZ Top, but the minutes about LBIII&tGF (Lil' Bill and the Girlfriend, some future scholar will say confidently) are a nice little rave.
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

rlipps

Post by rlipps »

New Fall Tour dates announced, including a one-off opening for Mike Watt in Cleveland. I'll definitely be hitting up the Green Lantern show in Lexington, love that venue.

https://www.bandsintown.com/a/1118975