New Music Recommendations

Know of a great band you think we'd like to hear about? Got some music news? Or just want to talk about music in general? Post it here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Kudzu Guillotine

Re: New Music Recommendations

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

Kudzu Guillotine

Been hearing this a lot on KEXP. Huge Neil Young vibe, yes but also enough originality to keep me coming back.

rlipps

Post by rlipps »

Kudzu Guillotine wrote:Been hearing this a lot on KEXP. Huge Neil Young vibe, yes but also enough originality to keep me coming back.

Got an email from the guy that books Summit City in Whitesburg, KY, which is about 75 miles from me, that said he had booked this guy for next month. Liked what I've heard so far, which is admittedly little, so I might have to check him out.

Kudzu Guillotine

rlipps wrote:
Kudzu Guillotine wrote:Been hearing this a lot on KEXP. Huge Neil Young vibe, yes but also enough originality to keep me coming back.

Got an email from the guy that books Summit City in Whitesburg, KY, which is about 75 miles from me, that said he had booked this guy for next month. Liked what I've heard so far, which is admittedly little, so I might have to check him out.

There are more clips from his record (Rain Plains) on YouTube as well as this in-studio performance from KEXP (which I've yet to listen to myself).

RolanK
Location: drivin' home early Sunday morning through Bakersfield

Post by RolanK »

Kudzu Guillotine wrote:
rlipps wrote:

There are more clips from his record (Rain Plains) on YouTube as well as this in-studio performance from KEXP (which I've yet to listen to myself).

He did a couple of tours Norway/Sweden last year. (Or was it earlier this year?) People following the Americana Scene over here seemed to be pretty excited about it, but never got around to see any of his shows.
Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa

Kudzu Guillotine

RolanK wrote:[He did a couple of tours Norway/Sweden last year. (Or was it earlier this year?) People following the Americana Scene over here seemed to be pretty excited about it, but never got around to see any of his shows.

I just took a look at his tour dates and saw where he's going to be opening for Sons of Bill in Raleigh at Southland Ballroom next month. I'm not real big on Sons of Bill but I'll definitely be checking Israel out.

Kudzu Guillotine

Been loving these two as of late. The first one is from the new Frontier Ruckus album, Sitcom Afterlife which is out now. The next Decemberists record is due on January 20th.

dee dee

Post by dee dee »

This new King Tuff is melting my brain. Long live loud catchy weird fuzzy rock n roll

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Kudzu Guillotine wrote:Been loving these two as of late. The first one is from the new Frontier Ruckus album, Sitcom Afterlife which is out now. The next Decemberists record is due on January 20th.

Carolina Low is the best of the new Decemberists songs that Meloy has debuted. Check out his WFUV (I think) performance on YouTube
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

Kudzu Guillotine

Zip City wrote:Carolina Low is the best of the new Decemberists songs that Meloy has debuted. Check out his WFUV (I think) performance on YouTube

Thanks, don't think I've heard that one, I'll check it out.

dee dee wrote:
This new King Tuff is melting my brain. Long live loud catchy weird fuzzy rock n roll

Was talking with a garage rock friend about King Tuff last night. She caught them with Lee Bains at a recent show they did together in Raleigh. She enjoyed King Tuff but said his voice began to wear on her after a while.

Thoughts on Ex-Hex? Several of my friends are real big on them and I'm pretty sure I've posted about them in this thread previously. They also just got some pretty major props during the Sound Opinions year end best of show.

dee dee

Post by dee dee »

Kudzu Guillotine wrote:
Zip City wrote:Carolina Low is the best of the new Decemberists songs that Meloy has debuted. Check out his WFUV (I think) performance on YouTube

Thanks, don't think I've heard that one, I'll check it out.

dee dee wrote:

Was talking with a garage rock friend about King Tuff last night. She caught them with Lee Bains at a recent show they did together in Raleigh. She enjoyed King Tuff but said his voice began to wear on her after a while.

Thoughts on Ex-Hex? Several of my friends are real big on them and I'm pretty sure I've posted about them in this thread previously. They also just got some pretty major props during the Sound Opinions year end best of show.

A few weeks ago, I started on the Ex-Hex album but stopped about halfway through. I wasn't digging the female singer and it wasn't hitting my sweet spot. Not enough psych too much pop I think. Looking at the universal praise it received maybe I should try again.

Kudzu Guillotine

Fair enough, as a fan of power pop it probably strikes just the right balance for me.

Familiar with The Real Kids? A friend of mine that saw Ex-Hex a few weeks ago said they covered this song. It's admittedly all I've heard by them and I'd never heard of them before but I like it.

dee dee

Post by dee dee »

Kudzu Guillotine wrote:Fair enough, as a fan of power pop it probably strikes just the right balance for me.

Familiar with The Real Kids? A friend of mine that saw Ex-Hex a few weeks ago said they covered this song. It's admittedly all I've heard by them and I'd never heard of them before but I like it.

Never heard of them, but I kinda dig that. Speaking of Power Pop I've been spinning Actual Water - Call 4 Fun every few days lately. Favorite tunes so far are 647 and Power Pop Radio. Even though I have to sift through a bunch of stuff I'm not interested in, every once in a while Pitchfork steers me towards Titus Andronicus, King Tuff, OBN III's, or something like this.

https://soundcloud.com/actual-water/sets/call-4-fun

Kudzu Guillotine

I like that.

Two bands I got turned onto last weekend. One, due to KEXP (the song I heard, the title track from Lie To Me, isn't online). The second, because a friend shared a bill with them.

Kudzu Guillotine

New Courtney Barnett. Sometimes I Sit and Think, and Sometimes I Just Sit is due on March 23rd.

njMark

Post by njMark »

Quiet Life — "Cave Country/No Surprise" double video: http://youtu.be/nTClg-RQYZ0

I believe these guys are originally from Asbury Park, seen them twice and both times they were excellent.

Kudzu Guillotine

Kudzu Guillotine wrote:New Courtney Barnett. Sometimes I Sit and Think, and Sometimes I Just Sit is due on March 23rd.

Second single from Courtney's new record.

Kudzu Guillotine

Frazey Ford (formerly of The Be Good Tanyas) will be part of a line up artists performing with Phil Cook (of Megafaun) at Duke Gardens in Durham tomorrow when he kicks off the first of three nights hosting the premiere of his new Southland Revue album. Also on the bill tomorrow will be Heather McEntire (of Mount Moriah) and Christy Smith (of The Tender Fruit).

Bill in CT

Post by Bill in CT »

Kudzu Guillotine wrote:Frazey Ford (formerly of The Be Good Tanyas) will be part of a line up artists performing with Phil Cook (of Megafaun) at Duke Gardens in Durham tomorrow when he kicks off the first of three nights hosting the premiere of his new Southland Revue album. Also on the bill tomorrow will be Heather McEntire (of Mount Moriah) and Christy Smith (of The Tender Fruit).

Did Frazey Ford leave The Be Good Tanyas? She's still listed on their site as being part of the band.
The closer you get to the meaning
The sooner you'll know that you're dreaming

Kudzu Guillotine

Bill in CT wrote:
Kudzu Guillotine wrote:Frazey Ford (formerly of The Be Good Tanyas) will be part of a line up artists performing with Phil Cook (of Megafaun) at Duke Gardens in Durham tomorrow when he kicks off the first of three nights hosting the premiere of his new Southland Revue album. Also on the bill tomorrow will be Heather McEntire (of Mount Moriah) and Christy Smith (of The Tender Fruit).

Did Frazey Ford leave The Be Good Tanyas? She's still listed on their site as being part of the band.
Then, my guess is, she's still a member but I've also seen a couple recent pieces of press that refer to The Be Good Tanyas as her "former group" and / or Frazey as a "former member", like this review of her new album from The Washington Post.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Really digging this Buxton album (Half a Native)

Blend of Water Liars, Israel Nash and Old 97's

And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

Kudzu Guillotine

Not new just a different take.

TW_2.0

Post by TW_2.0 »

Kudzu Guillotine wrote:Not new just a different take.

That's a pretty awesome version. Thanks for sharing.
I can't dance a lick but sometimes I can flat rock and roll

Kudzu Guillotine

TW_2.0 wrote:
Kudzu Guillotine wrote:Not new just a different take.

That's a pretty awesome version. Thanks for sharing.
You're welcome. Though I love that version, I'm still partial this one. There's just something about it. Can't really put my finger on it. Maybe it's because it's the first place I heard the song. BTW, the version of "History Eraser" within ain't too bad either.

Kudzu Guillotine

Latest from Matthew Ryan's Boxers album.

EXCLUSIVE PREMIERE: MATTHEW RYAN, ‘SUFFER NO MORE’

Kudzu Guillotine

From Daniel Romano's latest album, If I've Only One Time Askin'.

Kudzu Guillotine

The latest from Lindi's album Faded Gloryville, filmed in Savannah.

tinnitus photography

Post by tinnitus photography »

good stuff here.

Kudzu Guillotine

I don't think I've seen Sarah Shook and the Disarmer's excellent Sidelong on a single 3DD year end list but knowing folks' musical tastes here, I'm pretty sure y'all would dig it. If you're interested in checking it out, it's streaming on Bandcamp. By the way, this isn't on it as this is a brand new tune.