New Music Recommendations

Know of a great band you think we'd like to hear about? Got some music news? Or just want to talk about music in general? Post it here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

WSPDBT

Re: New Music Recommendations

Post by WSPDBT »

i saw The Whigs open for DBT twice and really liked them. I picked up two of their vinyls one came with a cd, and I can't stop listening to them.
The Dude Abides

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

WSPDBT wrote:i saw The Whigs open for DBT twice and really liked them. I picked up two of their vinyls one came with a cd, and I can't stop listening to them.

I really enjoyed their show at the Haw River Ballroom a couple of weeks ago myself. I bypassed the merch stand that night but I'm sure I'll be picking something up by them soon, most likely the latest record.

Kudzu Guillotine

Latest video from Michael Rank and Stag:

Kudzu Guillotine

New from the Minus Five, a nearly ten minute rumination on Michael Nesmith.

My pal Bucks Burnett wrote an epic poem called "Michael Nesmith". I didn't really understand it but I like things that I don't understand - so I made it a lot longer and put in a lot of my own mystical feelings about the man. Then I strummed it and sang it - that was the easy part. I've loved Nez since the Monkees days, and have been a big fan of his solo work. I am thrilled that he is embarking on a rare U.S. solo tour starting now (March 21, 2013), and thought it'd be cool to pay tribute by putting this song up into the ether. Don't be afraid. It's a small taste of the forever forthcoming Minus 5 album. Go see Michael Nesmith if he comes to your town! I know I will.

written by Scott McCaughey / Bucks Burnett. MacNor Music, BMI, administered by BMG Music / Melting Pricecode Music, administered by Fierce Bunny Music (BMI).

Kudzu Guillotine

New video from the True Believers. I'm not sure when the record is due but this kicks ass.

Kudzu Guillotine

This band has been playing around here for a while but I keep missing their shows. After listening to this I won't let that happen next time. If you like what you hear be sure to check out this article about them from Resound.

Kudzu Guillotine

New Lydia Loveless tune:

Penny Lane

Post by Penny Lane »

Rayland Baxter
Andrew Combs
Joshua Black Wilkins (if you like Otis Gibbs..)
Shelly Colvin
Patrick Sweany

new albums by:
Frank Turner
Black Rebel Motorcycle Club
In my blood, there's gasoline..

Kudzu Guillotine

Penny Lane wrote:Rayland Baxter
Andrew Combs
Joshua Black Wilkins (if you like Otis Gibbs..)
Shelly Colvin
Patrick Sweany

new albums by:
Frank Turner
Black Rebel Motorcycle Club

I saw Andrew open for Caitlin Rose not long ago and really enjoyed his set (he's also in her band). I believe I posted a video by him ("Too Stoned To Cry") here around that same time. I saw Patrick open for the Gourds probably a year or so ago when they played the Cradle. I didn't rush the merch table afterwards or anything but he was a good fit with them. I think I've posted this clip with him sitting in with them before as well but it's well worth another looksee. It's a particularly epic version of "Gin n' Juice" that didn't make the cut for the new Gourds doc, All the Labor.

Kudzu Guillotine

From the new Love Language album Ruby Red which just dropped on Tuesday. If you live in the Triangle region of NC, it's fun to try to figure out all the different locales. One of them I recognized immediately is the indoor skatepark (Project 54) next to Vertical Urge on Six Forks, just up the street from my place. Very cool.

Kudzu Guillotine

This was recommended recently on the Guitartown email list. Valerie June's debut album, Pushin' Against a Stone is currently being featured on NPR as part of their First Listen series. The album comes out on Tuesday so there's not much longer to listen so I strongly suggest checking it out while there's still time. As you'll hear, Valerie June excels at a variety of different styles.

First Listen: Valerie June, 'Pushin' Against A Stone'
by ANN POWERS

Valerie June's new album, Pushin' Against a Stone, comes out Aug. 13.
Susan Riddle Duke Photography/Courtesy of the artist

Kudzu Guillotine

Valerie June last night on Letterman:

Kudzu Guillotine

Got turned onto David Childers and the Modern Don Juans several years back but I never did really connect with their music as so many of my friends did. David, who's a lawyer in Charlotte, retired from the music business temporarily and then resurfaced a few years back with a new band called the Overmountain Men. I made it a point to catch them at Hopscotch over the weekend and am so glad I did.

Hud

Post by Hud »

Kudzu Guillotine wrote:From the new Love Language album Ruby Red which just dropped on Tuesday. If you live in the Triangle region of NC, it's fun to try to figure out all the different locales. One of them I recognized immediately is the indoor skatepark (Project 54) next to Vertical Urge on Six Forks, just up the street from my place. Very cool.

Wow, great video!
I've seen my future and I'm scared to close my eyes

Kudzu Guillotine

Minor Alps doing "I Want To Take You Home" which Julianna Hatfield guested on on Nada Surf's Lucky album.

Kudzu Guillotine

Spooky Woods (Skylar Gudasz, Jeff Crawford, James Wallace, Casey Toll) don't have an album out yet but they should sometime in the new year. In the meantime, they have a song on Bandcamp you can download and a few videos on YouTube, including several from their appearance at Local Band/Local Beer at Tir na nOg in Raleigh last week. This is one of 'em. They're joined on this tune by Mark Simonsen (the Old Ceremony).

Kudzu Guillotine

Joseph Arthur's The Ballad of Boogie Christ is a prime example of critics jumping the gun by posting best of 2013 lists in November when an album can come up from behind and floor you. Well, except in this case, this record was released in June but I'm just now discovering it. Still, the principle stands. I'd heard of Joseph as far back as 2004 when he toured with R.E.M. but I never really checked him out. The impetus for buying his new record (besides finding it in the budget bin) is his current tour which includes Mike Mills on bass. These are a few cuts from the new record. I love them all but the one that really made me sit up and pay attention is "All the Old Heroes". In the last clip, he paints while performing a new version of his song "I Miss the Zoo" on the Canadian TV show Belle and Bum (more on the performance here).

Kudzu Guillotine

KEXP's Song of the Day, "Troubled Times" from Tim Easton's Not Cool record.

Kudzu Guillotine

I'm thinking I've seen this band mentioned around these parts. If so, my apologies if someone has already posted about them in this thread. They just came to my attention over the holidays.

Kudzu Guillotine

Angel Olsen on KEXP

Kudzu Guillotine

From Caleb Caudle's new one, Paint Another Layer On My Heart. Background vocals by Lydia Loveless.

Kudzu Guillotine

Opening track to Attica, the latest from Wussy.

Jonicont
Site Admin

Post by Jonicont »

Kudzu Guillotine wrote:Opening track to Attica, the latest from Wussy.

Nice. Love me some Wussy
Always go to the show

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Jonicont wrote:

Nice. Love me some Wussy

Nice. Anybody else find it a little spooky that they performed this song about the who/pete townshend/baba o'reilly in cincinnati?

Next quick list: Songs about other songs, or perhaps a bit easier, songs that mention other songs. I'd start it myself but even though I know they're out there, I'm having a mental block at the moment.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

Kudzu Guillotine

Jonicont wrote:

Nice. Love me some Wussy

Likewise. I just hate that it took me so long to finally get around to checking them out despite having them recommended to me for several years now. When they were in Chapel Hill on Monday they commented on how they played to pretty much one person (one of several folks that have recommended them to me) the first time they played here years ago. I've been on a Wussy listening binge ever since. I love this recent KEXP segment, which is the only time in the stations history where a band has been asked to perform an extra number. I definitely won't be missing them the next time they pass through here, that's for damn sure.

tinnitus photography

Post by tinnitus photography »

my Wussy connection.

at least 20 years ago when Chuck was in the Assponys, he also dealt records via ads in Goldmine. I bought the 1st Sun City Girls 7" from him.

bovine knievel

Post by bovine knievel »

“Excited people get on daddy’s nerves.” - M. Cooley

Kudzu Guillotine

Picked up this compilation for free at HORDE back in the early 90's that included an Ass Ponys song. Again, despite recommendations from some of the same friends, I've yet to really investigate them. Given my recent Wussy binge, I can see that changing.

1. Spoken Word 0:09 Barry White
2. You Don't Know What It Takes 3:07 Ape Hangers
3. Earth To Grandma 2:53 Ass Ponys
4. The Day That Came And Went 4:14 The Caulfields
5. Can't Cry Anymore 3:41 Sheryl Crow
6. Roll To Me (Remix) 2:18 Del Amitri
7. Counting Blue Cars 4:52 Dishwalla
8. A-OK 2:58 Face To Face
9. Sleep Well Tonight 4:01 Gene
10. Bright As Yellow 3:35 The Innocence Mission
11. Harold's Pink Room 3:04 Love Battery
12. Blow 'Em Off 3:51 Monster Magnet
13. Built Low 5:53 Paw
14. Honeysimple 3:17 Scarce
15. States Of Mind 4:00 Senser
16. Dolphin 3:38 Shed Seven
17. Heel On The Shovel 3:16 16 Horsepower

Kudzu Guillotine

Premiere of Mary Gauthier's "Oh Soul" from her new album Trouble and Love. More on the song from PopMatters here.

Kudzu Guillotine

Been hearing this cut on KEXP quite a bit in recent months. For a while there, I thought it was a cut from the new Sharon Van Etten record but I obviously wasn't picking up on the British accent. Love this.