Who's Everyone Seeing Live?

Know of a great band you think we'd like to hear about? Got some music news? Or just want to talk about music in general? Post it here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Zip City

Re: Who's Everyone Seeing Live?

Post by Zip City »

My Morning Jacket tonight
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Zip City wrote:My Morning Jacket tonight

1. Circuital
2. I'm Amazed
3. Lay Low
4. Mahgeetah
5. Tropics (Erase Traces)
6. Gentle on My Mind [Glen Campbell cover]
7. Golden
8. A New Life [Jim James cover]
9. Compound Fracture
10. In It's Infancy (The Waterfall)
11. Evil Urges
12. War Begun
13. Spring (Among the Living)
14. State of the Art (A.E.I.O.U) [Jim James Cover]
15. Dondante
16. Victory Dance
17. Run Thru (end of)

Encore:

18. Wordless Chorus
19. Off the Record
20. Touch Me I'm Going to Scream Pt. 2
21. One Big Holiday
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

dogstar

Post by dogstar »

tinnitus photography wrote:
dogstar wrote:
chuckrh wrote:Time for the yearly dose of the metal....
Me too

Elder in Coventry next week.
nice.

i haven't seen the 4 piece in action yet. October.
Really enjoyed this show which was in a small pub in Coventry. Not really a big metal fan but every so often I drag myself along to a show and this was worth seeing. The sound in the room wasn't great but later in the set I went to the back of the room and they sounded a lot better from there.

Bonus was the support band - King Buffalo.
"Guitars talk. If you really want to write a song, ask a guitar." Neil Young

tinnitus photography

Post by tinnitus photography »

right on!

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

Metallica were mighty on Wednesday. Nice mix of old & new. The production was outstanding. Next up, Tom Petty on Saturday.
HARDWIRED
ATLAS, RISE!
FOR WHOM THE BELL TOLLS
THE MEMORY REMAINS
THE UNFORGIVEN
NOW THAT WE'RE DEAD
MOTH INTO FLAME
WHEREVER I MAY ROAM
HALO ON FIRE
WHIPLASH
SAD BUT TRUE
ONE
MASTER OF PUPPETS
FADE TO BLACK
SEEK AND DESTROY
ENCORE 1

BATTERY
NOTHING ELSE MATTERS
ENTER SANDMAN

Bill in CT

Post by Bill in CT »

tonight - My Morning Jacket
tomorrow - Peach Music Festival (Widespread Panic, Joe Bonamassa, Mike Gordon)
The closer you get to the meaning
The sooner you'll know that you're dreaming

whatwouldcooleydo?

Post by whatwouldcooleydo? »

The Who- Lake Tahoe Aug. 16 (40th anniversary of Elvis' death-- RIP EAP, your truth is marching on.....)
Pokey LaFarge- The Fillmore Aug. 19
Tom Petty- The Greek Aug. 22
Amy Helm- Sierra Nevada Brewery Sept. 12
Jason Isbell- Britt Pavilion Sept. 15
Last edited by whatwouldcooleydo? on Mon Aug 14, 2017 4:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Son, this ain't a dream no more, it's the real thing

Bon Scott's AC/DC

Post by Bon Scott's AC/DC »

*** Toots and the Maytals***
The Beatyard, Dun Laoigharie, Co. Dublin, Ireland, Sunday August 6th.

This was a two day festival, in a sailing yard, just south of Dublin. I went on the second day of the mini festival. Attendance at 5pm was say, 4k people, by 10pm it was 8k people. Not a big festival, one stage five/six bands on the day.
When I arrived the second band were on, Kila, a kind of traditional Irish music band but with rock drummer etc. I arrived whilst Kila was on and the place was maybe half full then, and the crowd standing and watching them was not really that into it. I think the singer made a few remarks to that effect?!

Next up at 6pm was Toots and the Maytals. My only reason for attending on the day really. I love Toots, have only really got into him in the last few years in a big way, but now think he's one of the GREATS, so I really, really wanted to see this gig. (He's now 74 years old...and you know, it may be now or never!) In a nutshell he/they killed it. There were two bands on after them, but really, Toots should have been the headliner. He was great, played many of his great songs,including: Monkey Man, Sweet & Dandy, (his) Get Up Stand Up, 54-46 Was My Number, Pressure Drop, Bam Bam, and (his) brilliant version of Louie Louie. It was a joy, and the crowd just love Toots. He did his crowd call and response routine, the 6pm crowd roared back their lines, and everybody had a great time dancing to timeless ska/reggae. Set length was 1 hour 20 min. (Which was good considering for some reason the second to top headliner and headliner were only scheduled to play for one hour?)

Next up were Morcheeba. Morcheeba, I really like, but thought would struggle in daylight/open air gig, the female singer was very good, but even she was saying to the crowd why weren't they singing along to her like to Toots (which was a bit odd, 'cos their music is very different to Toots' ska/reggae). Good music, but better suited to indoors.

The headliners were French band Air. By the time Air came on the place was really full (I'd estimate 8k to 10k people?). I thought a big part of the crowd kept yakking throught Air's set, which is mad!! to pay E63 or whatever for a ticket, and it wasn't like there were many bands on that day, so a lot of people must have been there for the headliners, but to the talk throughout the set... bloody event junkies, grrr... Air are really admired as a band. And I think one half of seminal album Moon Safari is brilliant, and the other half of that album is OK. Also I have listened to subsequent Air albums, and don't like them... guess they're just not for me. But as I said the amount of crowd talking during songs was ridiculous (possibly the worst I've ever seen?), when they finished songs the crowd couldn't even be bothered cheering, just kept yakking - ah well that's people for you. Since I wasn't into Air at all and the crowd was irritating, I left early which I've hardly ever done.

But to end on a positive note, I can now say I've seen Toots Hibbert, and that'll keep me happy for a while. He toured the US last autumn/winter, and the tickets weren't expensive, if he's near any of you in the future, I highly recommend attendance. :) :) :)

Bon Scott's AC/DC

walthers wrote:Last night sturgill Simpson and guns and roses. Sturgill only played 7 songs but it was great, he ripped that electric up, going to be a lot of fun to see him next month. I was shocked at how good guns and roses were, never saw them back in the day but those dude did it up.

Friday bob weir

11th wilco.
walthers... yeah, all the reports from the European leg of the Guns N' Roses tour are also the same... fans literally shocked at how good they are, pinching themselves, and glad they went to the "reformed original" G N' R. This journalist's byline quote pretty much sums them up: "You can’t blow the roof off a stadium that doesn’t have one, but they damn well tried"
https://www.theguardian.com/music/2017/ ... adise-city

dogstar

Post by dogstar »

Bon Scott's AC/DC wrote:
walthers wrote:Last night sturgill Simpson and guns and roses. Sturgill only played 7 songs but it was great, he ripped that electric up, going to be a lot of fun to see him next month. I was shocked at how good guns and roses were, never saw them back in the day but those dude did it up.

Friday bob weir

11th wilco.
walthers... yeah, all the reports from the European leg of the Guns N' Roses tour are also the same... fans literally shocked at how good they are, pinching themselves, and glad they went to the "reformed original" G N' R. This journalist's byline quote pretty much sums them up: "You can’t blow the roof off a stadium that doesn’t have one, but they damn well tried"
https://www.theguardian.com/music/2017/ ... adise-city
Are you going to the John Prine/Sturgill Simpson shows in Ireland? Bummed I'm away on holiday otherwise i'd have probably made the trip over.
"Guitars talk. If you really want to write a song, ask a guitar." Neil Young

Bon Scott's AC/DC

dogstar wrote:
Are you going to the John Prine/Sturgill Simpson shows in Ireland? Bummed I'm away on holiday otherwise i'd have probably made the trip over.
I’m away for that week also, but I’m looking into if I can get back for the Friday night Dublin gig.

bovine knievel

Post by bovine knievel »

Gregory Alan Isakov tonight
“Excited people get on daddy’s nerves.” - M. Cooley

Bill in CT

Post by Bill in CT »

tinnitus photography

see you there Bill!

you wouldn't happen to have an extra ticket for the Yob/SubRosa show, would you? I found out too late that media wasn't getting a list spot for that, and it's a separate event from the festival. appealing to Yob didn't work either, as their management said their list was closed weeks ago. i wish i had known sooner as i would have had zero problem buying a ticket for that.

Bill in CT

Post by Bill in CT »

tinnitus photography wrote:see you there Bill!

you wouldn't happen to have an extra ticket for the Yob/SubRosa show, would you? I found out too late that media wasn't getting a list spot for that, and it's a separate event from the festival. appealing to Yob didn't work either, as their management said their list was closed weeks ago. i wish i had known sooner as i would have had zero problem buying a ticket for that.
Unfortunately I don't have an extra ticket for Yob/SubRosa. I only bought one ticket for the show. I will let you know if I hear of anyone with an extra.
Safe travels and see you soon!

tinnitus photography

five bands ended up dropping off the initial bill, for whatever reason:

Eternal Tapestry
Laura Pleasants and Special Guests
Code Orange
Oathbreaker
Buzzov-en

bummed about missing Eternal Tapestry and Oathbreaker.

Beebs

Post by Beebs »

Bill in CT wrote:Image
Have great time boys. Really bummed to miss out this year. See ya in '18.

Sigh....
Beebs is not a ragey man

LBRod

Post by LBRod »

Pokey LaFarge tonight
Don't hurt people, and don't take their stuff.

whatwouldcooleydo?

LBRod wrote:Pokey LaFarge tonight

Me too!

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

Tom Petty in about 6 hours! 1st time in at least 15 years. I'm hoping we get an Eddie Vedder drive-by & they play "The Waiting". Set list is good but has been pretty stagnant for the tour. Show is sold out @ about 35-40 thousand, so 1 of the bigger crowds on the tour. Little bummed we didn't get Joe Walsh. Lumineers opening. They don't offend me but would've been way more into seeing Joe.

Beaverdam

Post by Beaverdam »

Is anyone going to Locken next weekend? I'll have buddies there and wish I could go.

I'd really like to see Margo Price!

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

Tom Petty was a little disappointing. It was a huge show @ Safeco Field (Mariners ballpark) with sold out crowd of probably 35,000 & they were filming for dvd. First Lumineers opened (not Joe Walsh). Boring in that Mumford way. Tom played the same set that he has played the whole tour, no surprises or deviation. Lots of singalongs. Never a good sign. & it wasn't really great for an arena/stadium show. Things picked up when Mike Campbell was allowed to unleash, just wasn't often enough. The PA blew during the Wildflowers mini set & the show was stopped for about 10 minutes whilst they figured it out. The show just continued after that like it didn't happen so we got 18 instead of 19 songs. Ended with huge fireworks display that had nothing to do with the music, in fact there was no music for most of it. I saw Metallica a few weeks ago & there pyro was integrated seemlessly into the music & made sense. I started following Tom when Breakdown came out but hadn't seen him in close to 20 years. I'd go see him in a more intimate setting but not in a big show like this. He's obviously burnt out on the big rock star thing, so probably a good thing he's not going to do big tours anymore rather than embarass himself like say the Stones. Have been pretty lucky with shows lately, so law of averages dictates was going to get a mediocre one. High hopes for Matthew Sweet on Monday in a small club.

Sterling Bigmouth

Post by Sterling Bigmouth »

Beaverdam wrote:Is anyone going to Locken next weekend? I'll have buddies there and wish I could go.

Saw her at Bonnaroo a couple months ago, she’s 100% worth seeing. High energy show, gonna try to catch her again next time she comes through Tennessee.
Turn it up to 10 and rip off the knob

whatwouldcooleydo?

whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:
LBRod wrote:Pokey LaFarge tonight

Me too!
and we pitched a wang dang doodle....... all night long!!!

tinnitus photography

Beebs wrote:

Sigh....
well that was a great time. not *quite* as strong a lineup as last year, for me anyway, but then again that last year's roster was likely the best festival lineup i've seen.

some bands that i really didn't know much about who were great:

Domkraft
Murder City Devils
Mulatu Astatke
Vhol (wished i'd seen more of their set, but Sleep was a conflict)
Gatecreeper (not the sort of thing i'm usually into, but damn were they fun at the pool... kinda in the same way Midnight was last year).
Elephant Tree
Yawning Man

emandrisdad

Post by emandrisdad »

tinnitus photography wrote:
Beebs wrote:

Sigh....
well that was a great time. not *quite* as strong a lineup as last year, for me anyway, but then again that last year's roster was likely the best festival lineup i've seen.

some bands that i really didn't know much about who were great:

Domkraft
Murder City Devils
Mulatu Astatke
Vhol (wished i'd seen more of their set, but Sleep was a conflict)
Gatecreeper (not the sort of thing i'm usually into, but damn were they fun at the pool... kinda in the same way Midnight was last year).
Elephant Tree
Yawning Man

The Rods? Really? The same mid 80's Rods? Wow.

tinnitus photography

yeah, they were a conflict w/ Sleep's set too, or actually should have been, but there was a 30 min delay to the start of their set, so i could have shot both bands.

Beaverdam

Post by Beaverdam »

Sterling Bigmouth wrote:
Beaverdam wrote:Is anyone going to Locken next weekend? I'll have buddies there and wish I could go.

Saw her at Bonnaroo a couple months ago, she’s 100% worth seeing. High energy show, gonna try to catch her again next time she comes through Tennessee.
I'm in Covington (about an hour north of Memphis), so let me know if you come to a show my way!

emandrisdad

Post by emandrisdad »

tinnitus photography wrote:yeah, they were a conflict w/ Sleep's set too, or actually should have been, but there was a 30 min delay to the start of their set, so i could have shot both bands.
I had no clue they still existed. I blasted some live Rods at work today for old times sake.

tinnitus photography

emandrisdad wrote:
tinnitus photography wrote:yeah, they were a conflict w/ Sleep's set too, or actually should have been, but there was a 30 min delay to the start of their set, so i could have shot both bands.
I had no clue they still existed. I blasted some live Rods at work today for old times sake.
dude, there was a timewarp wormhole made just for this festival... Cirith Ungol and Diamond Head also played!