Who's Everyone Seeing Live?

Know of a great band you think we'd like to hear about? Got some music news? Or just want to talk about music in general? Post it here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

tinnitus photography

Re: Who's Everyone Seeing Live?

Post by tinnitus photography »

Shows I've seen since posting about Elder:

Madonna
Bong Wish/Mountain Movers/Heathen Shame
Oliver Tree/FIDLAR
Bobby Bare Jr
Forever Since Heedfest (4 GBV cover bands)
Michael Shannon/Jason Narducy play Murmur
Mitski
Neck Deep/Drain
Cat Power
The Kills
Das Damen/Thalia Zedek Band/Sleepyhead

jr29

Post by jr29 »

McMurtry tonight at 3rd and Lindsley in Nashville.

Bill in CT

Post by Bill in CT »

2/10 Mega Colossus/Crossed Hearts/Children of the Reptile - Carrboro, NC
2/13 Sex Cell/Carey Welsh and the Waking Storm/69 Dudes!!!/Dim Watts/Infinite Favors - Athens, GA
2/14 The Lanes/Paul McHugh - Athens, GA
2/14 Dimmer Twins & Friends - Athens, GA
The closer you get to the meaning
The sooner you'll know that you're dreaming

Bill in CT

Post by Bill in CT »

2/15 DBT/Vision Video - Athens, GA
2/16 Thelma & the Sleaze/Bark/Taylor Hollingsworth - Athens, GA
2/16 DBT/The Paranoid Style/Camp Amped Band - Athens, GA
2/17 DBT/Hans Condor - Athens, GA

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Audra McDonald at Boston Symphony Hall last nite complete w/ orchestra. What a talented woman! And what a great entertainer. Highly recommended if you get a chance.

April 30: Teenage Fanclub at the Paradise, Boston
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

WarHenRecords

Post by WarHenRecords »

Yo La Tengo x2 this weekend in NC can't wait.
This is my label > http://warhenrecords.bandcamp.com/
Label IG > @WarHenRecords

Mundane Mayhem

Post by Mundane Mayhem »

Saw Pigs Pigs Pigs Pigs Pigs Pigs Pigs at a small room in Denver last week. Definitely outside my usual lane, but an interesting experience. My remark after the show is that it's hard to establish a sense of pacing in a show when you only have one pace.

Also caught Lydia Loveless a few weeks back and they killed as always. I was only loosely familiar with their opener, Jason Hawk Harris, but I was also impressed with him.
All it takes is one wicked heart, a pile of money, and a chain of folks just doing their jobs

Clams

Post by Clams »

Hurray for the Riff Raff last night in Philly

Great show by Hurray for the Riff Raff. Sold out, enthusiastic and diverse crowd at a cool venue (The Foundry) I'd never been to before. Opener was a dude named Nnamdi who rapped and played guitar. He reminded me of Tariq from Abbott Elementary (that's not a compliment) although he did have one good song where he kept yelling "Fuck you get out my face!" The Riff Raff are a great band. The main set was all 10 songs from the new record with a few older ones (Saga, Rhododendron) thrown in. Pa'lante, which I remembered from seeing them years ago at the WXPN festival, closed the show. Alynda had the crowd eating from her hand the entire night and as mentioned the band sounded great. Gotta love when a woman who might be the smallest person in the room is in total control of the band and the crowd. Was also good to get out of my live music comfort zone and see a band I didn't really know much about. Fun night with the Mrs and was back home at 11:15pm , walked the dog and and tucked myself into bed by midnight. Always go to the show.
If you don't run you rust

pearlbeer

Post by pearlbeer »

https://www.lbjlibrary.org/exhibits/tem ... ic-history

If you are in Austin, I highly recommend checking out this exhibit. Some amazing stuff in there. It's astounding how much of it is from the Boss' personal collection.
Love each other, Motherfuckers!

pearlbeer

Post by pearlbeer »

Wed - Sleater-Kinney
Fri - Chuck Prophet
Sun - More Chuck Prophet
Next week - SXSW

Clams

Post by Clams »

Couple nights ago met up with Van from south philly at Underground Arts to catch Thelma & the Sleaze and Laura Jane Grace (with Bobby Matt Patton on bass). The Sleaze opened and were raunchy and loud and gloriously hard rockin as expected. Laura Jane Grace however I don't know her music at all and didn't know what to expect but she was fantastic. Green Day vibes, in-your-face righteous punk rock. For those who don't know, both the Sleaze and LJG are openly queer in both music and persona (and so was the awesome crowd) which for this suburbanite made it a fun kinda getting out of my bubble type of evening. In all, we aw three bands (Dikembe opened) and I barely knew any of the music beforehand but that didn't matter as it turned into a tremendous night of loud, hot, sweaty rock and roll. Second time in a week that I took a chance on a live show and it paid off in spades. Always go to the show.

tinnitus photography

Post by tinnitus photography »

nice!

i actually saw Laura Jane Grace open for Green Day, with her band Against Me!

Sterling Bigmouth

Post by Sterling Bigmouth »

Lucero tonight in Nashville. Bobby Bare Jr.’s Young Criminals Starvation League is opening.
Turn it up to 10 and rip off the knob

brettac1

Post by brettac1 »

Sterling Bigmouth wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2024 3:59 pm
Lucero tonight in Nashville. Bobby Bare Jr.’s Young Criminals Starvation League is opening.
Damn that's a fun pair. I probably haven't thought about BBJ at all since back in the 9 Bullets incarnation of the board. Loved those early albums.
Wound up bleeding on the bar floor
We don't bet on the ball no more

cortez the killer

Post by cortez the killer »

brettac1 wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2024 10:48 am
Sterling Bigmouth wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2024 3:59 pm
Damn that's a fun pair. I probably haven't thought about BBJ at all since back in the 9 Bullets incarnation of the board. Loved those early albums.
He's been a guitarist in Guided by Voices since 2016.
You are entitled to your opinion, but you are not entitled to your own facts.
- DPM

Bill in CT

Post by Bill in CT »

3/2 Jalen Ngonda/Benny Trokan - Brooklyn, NY
3/8 Grahame Lesh & Friends/The Mother Hips - Brooklyn, NY

pearlbeer

Post by pearlbeer »

This week...SXSW

Tues - Ray Benson's Birthday Bash (Asleep at the Wheel, Shakey Graves + more)

Thursday - Luck Reunion

Friday - SoCo Stomp:

Rosie Flores, Calder AllenJohn Doe Folk Trio, CC Adcock & The Lafayette Marquis, Alejandro Escovedo, West Texas Exiles, Tommy Stinson, The Tender Things, Carolyn Wonderland & Shelley King, Theo Lawrence

Saturday - Mojo's Final Mayhem

Allen Oldies Band, Jon Dee Graham, Waco Brothers, James McMurtry, The Beat Farmers, Dan Baird & Homemade Sin, The Knitters, The Toadliquors

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

brettac1 wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2024 10:48 am
Damn that's a fun pair. I probably haven't thought about BBJ at all since back in the 9 Bullets incarnation of the board.
Same. iIRC littlemamma was a big fan.
pearlbeer wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2024 3:24 pm
This week...SXSW
Damn, man, that's quite a week. Very jealous.

pearlbeer

Post by pearlbeer »

pearlbeer

Post by pearlbeer »

I attended Mojo's Final Mayhem at SXSW. I've been attending for a long time. This was a hell of show, rocking, emotional, long and packed. It had been planned as the final Mayhem before he passed and Mojo had curated the line-up. Everyone showed up and it was a hell of a wake.

The Beat Farmers, Knitters (playing their first show in over a decade), Dan Baird (Georgia Satellites) came out of retirement and played with Warner Hodges, Waco Brothers, McMurtry, John Dee Graham. Holy shit. And then the murderers row of special guests - Steve Earle, Rosie Flores, Jello Biafra, Dash Rip Rock.

The Toadliquors final show was epic - everyone on stage - the whole band was crying. Mojo's family was there.

It was just an epic end to an epic life. Thanks for everything, Mojo. Your soul raves on forever.

https://variety.com/2024/music/news/moj ... 235944240/

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

pearlbeer wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2024 12:56 pm
I attended Mojo's Final Mayhem at SXSW. I've been attending for a long time. This was a hell of show, rocking, emotional, long and packed. It had been planned as the final Mayhem before he passed and Mojo had curated the line-up. Everyone showed up and it was a hell of a wake.

The Beat Farmers, Knitters (playing their first show in over a decade), Dan Baird (Georgia Satellites) came out of retirement and played with Warner Hodges, Waco Brothers, McMurtry, John Dee Graham. Holy shit. And then the murderers row of special guests - Steve Earle, Rosie Flores, Jello Biafra, Dash Rip Rock.

The Toadliquors final show was epic - everyone on stage - the whole band was crying. Mojo's family was there.

It was just an epic end to an epic life. Thanks for everything, Mojo. Your soul raves on forever.

I'm jealous! I'm glad you got to go though. Looks like a great show. How were Beat Farmers without Country Dick? I knew him a little, great guy. Hung out with him his last New Year's Eve until the wee hours. A friend was managing them but I hit it off with Dick. I miss the Beat Farmers!

Clams

Post by Clams »

pearlbeer wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2024 12:56 pm

sounds awesome. glad u were there and 3dd was represented.

pearlbeer

Post by pearlbeer »

chuckrh wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2024 2:34 pm
I'm jealous! I'm glad you got to go though. Looks like a great show. How were Beat Farmers without Country Dick? I knew him a little, great guy. Hung out with him his last New Year's Eve until the wee hours. A friend was managing them but I hit it off with Dick. I miss the Beat Farmers!
[/quote]

While I never saw the Beat Farmers with Country Dick (or ever), they were great. Really rockin' and some great players. I think Jerry and Joey are in their mid-70s and looked and sounded great.

Dan Baird was wearing a shirt that said "septuagenarian" and I was like no-way! But yeah, he is 70. Looked great as well.

Time marches on....

brettac1

Post by brettac1 »

Saw Zach Bryan last night in Milwaukee. One positive of the audience being comprised of approximately 75% people under 21 is that the crowd is very chill and not drunk.
Wound up bleeding on the bar floor
We don't bet on the ball no more

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Nik Bartsch's Ronin at City Winery, Boston on 3/25. Look at me, going out on a Monday nite, woohoo! To see a band I'd never heard of until we were invited by friends. "Zen-funk" they call it. I thought it was pretty good. The drummer, Kaspar Rast, was terrific. I gotta look into this live music thing more. It's a lotta fun.

One short term question is whether I decide to see Matthew Sweet in a couple of weeks. Love his music but last time I saw him it was somewhat disappointing.

pearlbeer

Post by pearlbeer »

I saw Gary Clark Jrs ACL taping last night. Some good players!

Bill in CT

Post by Bill in CT »

4/5 Ratboys/Ducks Ltd. - Hamden, CT
Last edited by Bill in CT on Wed Apr 10, 2024 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

I saw Particle Kid in a tiny club on Thursday. Phenomenal band! I can see why Neil Young picked Micah Nelson to be in Crazy Horse. The rest of the band are no slouches either. This was the second time I've seen them & they're seriously moving up the favorite band list.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Angelique KIdjo last nite at the Somerville Theater. Fantastic performer, great band.