Who's Everyone Seeing Live?

Know of a great band you think we'd like to hear about? Got some music news? Or just want to talk about music in general? Post it here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Clams

Re: Who's Everyone Seeing Live?

Post by Clams »

the Mrs and I saw Jenny Lewis at the Met on Broad Street in North Philly last night. Really fun show. She had an all female band that was really good (the dude in the photo is opener Cass McCombs who came out to play a song during the encore). The bass player is from Philly and wore not just a Phillies jersey but full uniform including pants. Her set was heavy on songs from her last three records Voyager, On the Line and the new one Joy'all plus some older stuff (See Fernando closed the night) and I think one Rilo Kiley song (With Arms Outstretched). Show was not sold out but was pretty full. Crowd was a fun mix of hipster chicks and dudes.

If you're keeping track at home, In the last three months I've seen Kathleen Edwards in May, Caitlin Rose in June and now Jenny in July. What a summer of swooning!
If you don't run you rust

cortez the killer

Post by cortez the killer »

Clams wrote:
Fri Jul 21, 2023 10:08 am
If you're keeping track at home, In the last three months I've seen Kathleen Edwards in May, Caitlin Rose in June and now Jenny in July. What a summer of swooning!
You are entitled to your opinion, but you are not entitled to your own facts.
- DPM

tinnitus photography

Post by tinnitus photography »

reported.

brettac1

Post by brettac1 »

Can't get away from Hunter Biden pics these days.
Wound up bleeding on the bar floor
We don't bet on the ball no more

whatwouldcooleydo?

Post by whatwouldcooleydo? »

whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:
Mon Jul 17, 2023 5:52 pm
cortez the killer wrote:
Mon Jul 17, 2023 1:12 pm
Wed Jul 12, 2023 12:15 pm
Saturday- Neil Young (Berkeley, CA, first of two shows this tour)
How was it?
Not especially great, to be honest. I have seen Neil at least 60 times and if this isn’t the lowest rated show I’ve seen it’s certainly in the conversation. He’s always been so consistent live that I have to say that Neil at his worst is still better than most. I was with a group of hardcore Rusties, people who all have seen Neil even more than I have, and most of them said it was the worst Neil show they have seen, something I also heard out of random people in the crowd after the show. I’m usually a tough (but fair) critic so it’s pretty unusual for others to be more critical than me

My biggest gripe was some of the material, while I heard others bitching about his performance & overall stage presence. Many said that they thought he was physically wobbly and that his voice was slurring. I didn’t personally pick up on that but I can kind of see it. Even for Neil Young this was by far the loosest, least structured show I have seen. Between songs he just kind of wandered around aimlessly and rambled on about whatever was in his mind. He’s always done this but this time seems like a completely other level. At times I felt like I was watching the Neil Young portrayed when comedians parody him. Pretty certain it is the shortest set I have seen him do when it’s a full official Neil Young show

I am seeing him again next Monday in Tahoe but it’s become uncertain. My wife is recently having some serious stomach issues and if she doesn’t improve I don’t know if we’ll be able to pull it off
So now it’s certain, no Tahoe. Rant incoming— because Neil is so terrified of scalping, he has set it so that tickets are totally non-transferable. Meaning that I do not have the option to even give my tickets away to a friend.

At the Berkeley show one friend had all 4 tickets for our group on his phone but could not even move them to us. We all had different agendas & itineraries but managed to meet up and all go in together. We still had issues so I asked the customer service rep helping us what would have happened had we not been able to go in together, and his answer was that he honestly didn’t know but that most likely any straggler would have been screwed. He did say that the artist- Neil- insisted on doing things in a way the venue was not used to

So here I am unable to do anything with my tickets except sell them via Ticketmaster as middle man. Go through their entire setup process, requiring tax identification numbers, etc., only to be told that resale is not an option at this time :evil: No idea if that will change but with just over 48 hours until show I’m not feeling especially happy

Nice that Neil doesn’t trust his fan base & fucks us, all in the name of anti-scalping :roll: I’m out a decent chunk of money but at least I’ll sleep well tonight knowing that someone didn’t scalp a ticket. So I’ve got that going for me, which is nice
Son, this ain't a dream no more, it's the real thing

jr29

Post by jr29 »

Sat Jul 22, 2023 2:37 pm
Mon Jul 17, 2023 5:52 pm
cortez the killer wrote:
Mon Jul 17, 2023 1:12 pm

How was it?
Not especially great, to be honest. I have seen Neil at least 60 times and if this isn’t the lowest rated show I’ve seen it’s certainly in the conversation. He’s always been so consistent live that I have to say that Neil at his worst is still better than most. I was with a group of hardcore Rusties, people who all have seen Neil even more than I have, and most of them said it was the worst Neil show they have seen, something I also heard out of random people in the crowd after the show. I’m usually a tough (but fair) critic so it’s pretty unusual for others to be more critical than me

My biggest gripe was some of the material, while I heard others bitching about his performance & overall stage presence. Many said that they thought he was physically wobbly and that his voice was slurring. I didn’t personally pick up on that but I can kind of see it. Even for Neil Young this was by far the loosest, least structured show I have seen. Between songs he just kind of wandered around aimlessly and rambled on about whatever was in his mind. He’s always done this but this time seems like a completely other level. At times I felt like I was watching the Neil Young portrayed when comedians parody him. Pretty certain it is the shortest set I have seen him do when it’s a full official Neil Young show

I am seeing him again next Monday in Tahoe but it’s become uncertain. My wife is recently having some serious stomach issues and if she doesn’t improve I don’t know if we’ll be able to pull it off
So now it’s certain, no Tahoe. Rant incoming— because Neil is so terrified of scalping, he has set it so that tickets are totally non-transferable. Meaning that I do not have the option to even give my tickets away to a friend.

At the Berkeley show one friend had all 4 tickets for our group on his phone but could not even move them to us. We all had different agendas & itineraries but managed to meet up and all go in together. We still had issues so I asked the customer service rep helping us what would have happened had we not been able to go in together, and his answer was that he honestly didn’t know but that most likely any straggler would have been screwed. He did say that the artist- Neil- insisted on doing things in a way the venue was not used to

So here I am unable to do anything with my tickets except sell them via Ticketmaster as middle man. Go through their entire setup process, requiring tax identification numbers, etc., only to be told that resale is not an option at this time :evil: No idea if that will change but with just over 48 hours until show I’m not feeling especially happy

Nice that Neil doesn’t trust his fan base & fucks us, all in the name of anti-scalping :roll: I’m out a decent chunk of money but at least I’ll sleep well tonight knowing that someone didn’t scalp a ticket. So I’ve got that going for me, which is nice
I love, love, love Neil Young. He is a pompous, self righteous ass if I've ever seen one though.

Bill in CT

Post by Bill in CT »

7/18 Son Volt/Peter Bruntnell - Fairfield, CT
7/21 Billy Strings - Bridgeport, CT
7/22 Brandi Carlile - Brookville, NY
7/24 Rose City Band - New York, NY
Last edited by Bill in CT on Tue Jul 25, 2023 1:58 am, edited 2 times in total.
The closer you get to the meaning
The sooner you'll know that you're dreaming

tinnitus photography

Bill have you ever gone to Newport Folk?

Bill in CT

Post by Bill in CT »

tinnitus photography wrote:
Sun Jul 23, 2023 10:59 pm
Bill have you ever gone to Newport Folk?
Yes and I’m going this year. This will be my 5th NFF but only the second time I have gone all 3 days.

tinnitus photography

cool i will see you there.

brettac1

Post by brettac1 »

Billy Strings is going to kill it there.

tinnitus photography

tbh i am looking forward to Lana Del Rey's set.

brettac1

Post by brettac1 »

I love Lana, too.

tinnitus photography

i've seen a lot of the acts already and Newport does that a lot but a band i knew nothing about that sounds very cool is The Huntress and Holder of Hands. dumb name but i like their music i've heard.

kinda surprised that Backseat Lovers and Goose are back already; they played last year too.

RedCelt

Post by RedCelt »

This is our first year at Newport Folk Fest. We were only able to get tickets for Friday and Saturday.

A welcome surprise was bumping into World Wide Bill and getting to hang out and watch several sets together. Lucky guy has tix for all three shows and and after party to see Tyler Childers!

Friday shows we saw were awesome. Ron Gallo has a good guitar sound, Peter One has a sweet soft sound. Nickel Creek are a talented bunch.

The highlights for me were MDOU Moctar and the “legendary” pitch hitter, James Taylor! Who filled for Noah Kahan who was suffering from vocal exhaustion.

I had texted Schlanky after the set that Mdou is Niger’s Eddie Van Halen because of his wicked guitar skills but it may be more accurate to compare him to Trombone Shorty because of his energy and ability to engage with the crowd. NFF crowds are pretty laid back and rule followers, it would appear, but we responded as he beckoned everyone to get closer so he could see our smiles.

Hats off to the drum tech who kept the set moving by swiftly replacing a broken kick drum!

Mary likes to remind me how she got to see James Taylor New Year’s Eve 1999 as I was standing watch at the data center for the impending doom that Y2K failed to deliver. So it was a welcome surprise to get to see and hear that legend yesterday.

I’m looking forward to what day two has in store.
- RedCelt

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

This had to be wild
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

tinnitus photography

the Eastern Medicine Singers on day 1 was the highlight of Newport for me. fucking awesome.

tinnitus photography

here is a little more in-depth review than 'fucking awesome'

i think the best show i saw at Newport was the Eastern Medicine Singers. it's a project with Algonquin tribe members from northern RI and Yonatan Gat (Monotonix) has been involved for a while now. I knew Lee Ranaldo was in the band for NFF, but didn't know that Chris Pravdica (Swans) was also going to be playing.

it started with a drum circle of 4 tribe members, each hitting a large drum in the center and singing/chanting; two members were off to the side doing a simulated fight scene. they soon joined the 4, and then the instrumentation came in, Gat and Ranaldo on guitars (Lee also playing percussion at times) and some other guy on a drum kit who was dynamite. fittingly, they opened with their version of "Rumble." the closing track was monumental, like the best Swans stuff. really great. the stage manager had to walk on stage over to Gat and give him the 'it's over' sign.

Zip Up to Michigan

Post by Zip Up to Michigan »

I went to a music festival in Ohio last weekend. Incredible lineup with lots of Indie rock which is my jam. Nelsonville. I camped but it was a relatively small and low key festival, which was great.

Highlights:

Rose City Band playing a 12:30am "campground tent stage" set until well after 2am.

Jake Xerxes Fussel on a tiny stage in the woods on Saturday afternoon.

Lucinda Williams followed by Margo Price on Saturday evening (they played together and Lucinda sounded great).

Altin Gun (Turkish fusion?) performing a late night set Saturday.

Courtney Marie Andrews on Sunday afternoon.

Seeing Alvvays, Wednesday, and Big Thief in the span on three hours on Sunday. Alvvays was my top performance of the weekend. Their new record is so good and translates well live. They played LOUD.

I will return to this event but it will be hard to top this lineup.

tinnitus photography

i was approved to see Altin Gun this Saturday but my girlfriend wants to see Mountain Goats instead.

that fest sounds pretty damn tight!

Zip Up to Michigan

Post by Zip Up to Michigan »

tinnitus photography wrote:
Mon Jul 31, 2023 11:58 pm
i was approved to see Altin Gun this Saturday but my girlfriend wants to see Mountain Goats instead.

that fest sounds pretty damn tight!
I'm a big advocator for letting the lady win these type of battles but man, do what you need to do to convince her to go see Altin Gun instead... especially if you two enjoy dancing together. They were so good and unbelievably fun. They are not stateside very often so catch them while you can!! I promise you'll thank me later lol.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Zip Up to Michigan wrote:
Mon Jul 31, 2023 11:35 pm
Seeing Alvvays, Wednesday, and Big Thief in the span on three hours on Sunday.
:!: :!:
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

I opted to skip Ryan Adams last night. He's doing a sort of self-indulgent tour right now where he plays 3 1/2 hour shows but only plays 10-12 songs, meaning they're just jam-banding the fuck out of everything. Maybe it was awesome, but maybe it was masturbatory
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

tinnitus photography

did he spend 25 min face timing teenaged girls?

RedCelt

Post by RedCelt »

Zip City wrote:
Sat Jul 29, 2023 2:44 pm

This had to be wild
I was at NFF last week, but sadly at a different stage when Animal made his appearance.
- RedCelt

Bill in CT

Post by Bill in CT »

7/28 Newport Folk Festival (Eastern Medicine Singers with Yonatan Gat and Lee Ranaldo, Mdou Moctar, Nickel Creek, Maggie Rogers, My Morning Jacket) - Newport, RI
7/28 Tyler Childers - Newport, RI
7/29 Newport Folk Festival (The Huntress and Holder of Hands, Danielle Ponder, The Backseat Lovers, John Oates featuring Guthrie Trapp, Jason Isbell and the 400 Unit, Turnpike Troubadours) - Newport, RI

Bill in CT

Post by Bill in CT »

7/30 Newport Folk Festival (Dan Blakeslee, The Earls of Leicester, Black Opry Revue, Los Lobos & Friends, Lana Del Rey, Billy Strings)
7/31 Altin Gun/Roge - Brooklyn, NY
8/5 Ryan Adams & the Cardinals - Waterbury, CT

brettac1

Post by brettac1 »

Bill in CT wrote:
Sun Aug 06, 2023 1:38 pm
7/30 Newport Folk Festival (Dan Blakeslee, The Earls of Leicester, Black Opry Revue, Los Lobos & Friends, Lana Del Rey, Billy Strings)
7/31 Altin Gun/Roge - Brooklyn, NY
8/5 Ryan Adams & the Cardinals - Waterbury, CT
Damn that Newport day is fucking killer!

tinnitus photography

Los Lobos guests were Nels Cline and Neko Case.

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

Buddy Guy tonight in theory. Waiting to hear from my friend who bought the tickets.