Who's Everyone Seeing Live?

Know of a great band you think we'd like to hear about? Got some music news? Or just want to talk about music in general? Post it here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

pearlbeer

Re: Who's Everyone Seeing Live?

Post by pearlbeer »

Been a long time...seeing James McMurtry tonight.
Love each other, Motherfuckers!

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

pearlbeer wrote:
Wed Jun 21, 2023 7:13 pm
chuckrh wrote:
Sun Jun 04, 2023 2:47 pm
emandrisdad wrote:
Sun Jun 04, 2023 10:48 am

Im really looking forward to the MSG show in a few weeks. Im also regretting missing the Hoodoo Gurus. Im afraid that might have been my last chance to see them again.
Next up for me is Social Distortion in a club first weekend of July. They sold out 3 nights here & could've played a bigger venue but wanted to start the tour in a club. Should be good.
Last time I saw Social D, I learned that indeed I am, too old for the mosh pit.
When they reschedule I'll be off to the side in the ADA area. My mosh pit days in the distant past. I was in some "good" ones though back in the day.

Howlinwolf

Post by Howlinwolf »

Tonite: Southern Culture On The Skids - Phoenix, AZ

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Saw My Morning Jacket for the 9th time tonight. Somehow managed to get five songs I had never seen live before (Cobra, The Bear, Easy Morning Rebel, Wasted and Least Expected).

Show opened with Phone Went West. Ridiculous.
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

God damn, MMJ's setlist in Pittsburgh tonight is fucking incredible. Wish I could've made that show happen.

Mundane Mayhem

Post by Mundane Mayhem »

Jason tomorrow night in Dillon, CO. Beautiful time of year in the Rockies.
All it takes is one wicked heart, a pile of money, and a chain of folks just doing their jobs

brettac1

Post by brettac1 »

Was fortunate enough to be at this incredible show on Friday night. One more day to get my voice to work before I have to go back to the office tomorrow. Have seen hundreds of shows and this is at or very near the top. An unbelievable atmosphere. I get to do it again in Oakland in 6 weeks and can't fucking wait.

https://www.jsonline.com/story/entertai ... 385851007/

Zach Bryan surpasses the hype in stunning, sold-out Summerfest concert in Milwaukee

Piet Levy

Milwaukee Journal Sentinel

Of the 800 or so acts playing Summerfest for the Milwaukee festival's 55th anniversary, one act was more anticipated than everyone else: Zach Bryan.

The fast-rising alternative-country artist's American Family Insurance Amphitheater show virtually sold out shortly after going on sale, even though Bryan headlined Summerfest's Miller Lite Oasis just last year.

No wonder Bryan thanked fans close to 100 times Friday night.

But the fans who were there were grateful, too, as witnesses to what's destined to become the landmark show for Summerfest's big birthday bash, a towering stunner starring one of the world's most exciting emerging talents just as his career looks to enter supernova status.

But the most remarkable thing about it was that Bryan himself didn't come off like a superstar at all.

Sure, he employed some familiar show tricks, swapping out a reference to his native Oklahoma for Wisconsin on "Oklahoma Smokeshow," and finding several places to adjust lyrics so the Dairy State and its largest city could get a shout-out. (He even wore a University of Wisconsin tank top with the university logo over an illustration of tall grass.)

And Bryan relied on a tried-and-true crowd-pleasing question — "Milwaukee, do you got another one in ya?" — before leading the band through a final chorus and singalong for a few songs.

Despite all that, and some indisputable talent, Bryan didn't come across like a polished, larger-than-life performer. His power came from being committed, as he sang during "Highway Boys" Friday, "to do my best to keep truth in song."

And his already prolific songwriting catalog — he self-released his first album just four years ago — is filled with electrifying intimacy and jaw-dropping songwriting.

There was the searing image of Bryan dropping to his knees on the hardwood floor for "God Speed"; his moving dream of being back on his porch swing for "Tishomingo." There was the haunting memory of "my mother's Southern drawl and her prayin' through the walls in the evening" during "Dawns"; and the blunt realization about a lover for "Sun to Me": "The only bad thing you've done is see the good in me."

And the night's penultimate song, "Burn, Burn, Burn," would have John Prine beaming from the heavens, the way Bryan yearns for living life to its fullest through both good and bad, fantasizing about both drowning in "rot gut whiskey" and writing "a few poems on a sunny balcony" in Paris (or through Bryan's lyric swap Friday, Milwaukee).

Impeccable with such vivid, raw, emotionally loaded but always sophisticated lyrics, Bryan showed at Summerfest he was an equally exceptional storyteller. There was the way "Something in the Orange," through Bryan's voice and pen, faded from the foolish hope of salvation and reconciliation, to the quiet devastation of reality, as he sang, again and again, "Please turn those headlights around." And "'68 Fastback" roared from the seething bitterness of being used and abused, to the steely, inspired realization "that you cannot tear down what's built up strong now."

This crowd hung onto every word like gospel, and sang most of them, too, while Bryan sang his truths not with blustery showmanship, but authenticity and heart.

You could sense the desperation through the nuance as he sang "Won't you tell me that you need me" on "The Good I'll Do," and the defiance of his voice flickered like a spark as he proclaimed "highway boys don't die" for "No Cure."

And as fiery as the band was, they came across more like buddies having a ball than ego-driven showstoppers. And that's because they are a band of buddies, with several members knowing and playing with Bryan back in Oklahoma for most of their lives. His drummer, Bryan revealed Friday, used to be his youth pastor.

So when the amphitheater practically exploded for the face-melting, solo-swapping finale "Revival," with several members of Bryan's entourage coming from the sidelines to sing along, it wasn't the exceptional musicianship that made the performance so special. It was the kinship between the band members that set the amphitheater ablaze, culminating in Bryan flashing crazed eyes as he clenched his teeth, his veins threatening to burst out from his neck.

"I am so insanely happy right now," Bryan said deep into Friday's hour-and-50-minute set. From start to finish, I'm hard-pressed to think of a Summerfest amphitheater audience that seemed happier.

Charles Wesley Godwin opened

Anybody who showed up early Friday (and that was nearly everybody) was rewarded by a Bryan cameo during likeminded singer-songwriter Charles Wesley Godwin’s opening set, with the two teaming up for their joint track “Jamie” from Bryan’s album “All My Homies Hate Ticketmaster.” It was a raucous time, with Bryan sipping a can of Bud and slapping Godwin’s bassist’s butt. But things really got rowdy when Bryan and Godwin again teamed up for John Denver’s classic “Take Me Home, Country Roads,” with close to 20,000 people singing along at the top of their lungs.

It was easy to see from Godwin’s humble, good-natured stage presence why he’s such good friends with Bryan. And it was easy to see why Bryan fans at Summerfest loved Godwin, from his heart-in-the-throat vocal delivery over the anguished “Jesse” to his eight-piece band (with a couple of Bryan's backing players included) delivering a rip-roaring, stage-burning performance of unreleased bluegrass track “Another Leaf.”

Bryan showed that an artist of his nature could sell out Summerfest’s biggest venue. Godwin Friday suggested that it’s possible that it could happen to him.

Zach Bryan's Summerfest setlist

"Open the Gate"
"God Speed"
"Fifth of May"
"Highway Boys"
"Quittin' Time"
"Tishomingo"
"Dawns"
"Sweet DeAnn"
"Condemned"
"Sun to Me"
"Oklahoma Smokeshow"
"The Good I'll Do"
"Something in the Orange"
"Heavy Eyes"
"Snow"
"All the Time"
"Whiskey Fever"
"Late July"
"No Cure"
"'68 Fastback"
"Heading South"
"Burn, Burn, Burn"
"Revival"
Wound up bleeding on the bar floor
We don't bet on the ball no more

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

So...yeah...I guess we can conclude that he liked the show. :lol: Glad you enjoyed!
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

whatwouldcooleydo?

Post by whatwouldcooleydo? »

Tonight- Lyle Lovett & His Large Band (Redding, CA)

Saturday- Neil Young (Berkeley, CA, first of two shows this tour)
Son, this ain't a dream no more, it's the real thing

emandrisdad

Post by emandrisdad »

Elvis Costello tonight

whatwouldcooleydo?

emandrisdad wrote:
Wed Jul 12, 2023 12:42 pm
Elvis Costello tonight
Nice! Saw this tour a month ago in Reno

Bill in CT

Post by Bill in CT »

6/16 Margo Price - New York, NY
6/19 faUSt/Pere Ubu/MV Carbon - New York, NY
6/24 Out & About Festival (Brandi Carlile/Yola/Rufus Wainwright) - Vienna, VA
6/25 Out & About Festival (Brandi Carlile/Lucius/Celisse/Brandy Clark) - Vienna, VA
6/30 My Morning Jacket/Karl Denson’s Tiny Universe - New Haven, CT
The closer you get to the meaning
The sooner you'll know that you're dreaming

tinnitus photography

Post by tinnitus photography »

teh Noel Gallagher/Garbage/Metric show was pretty entertaining. my girl wanted to go just to see Metric and they only played like 40 min but it was solid... i was surprised how good Garbage were; i've seen them twice on their tours supporting their first two records and they were really on. Noel was fine too, kinda like telling ChatGPT to write mid-era Beatles songs. he had some good banter and "Don't Look Back In Anger" w/o an encore break was the perfect ender.

jr29

Post by jr29 »

Tickets purchased for two nights of Son Volt next month in St. Louis.

cortez the killer

Post by cortez the killer »

jr29 wrote:
Sun Jul 16, 2023 6:16 pm
Excellent! I'm seeing Jay & Co. tomorrow night in Fairfield, CT.
You are entitled to your opinion, but you are not entitled to your own facts.
- DPM

cortez the killer

whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:
Wed Jul 12, 2023 12:15 pm
How was it?
- DPM

jr29

Post by jr29 »

cortez the killer wrote:
Mon Jul 17, 2023 11:47 am
jr29 wrote:
Judging by social media stuff it appears this tour is going very well for SV. Several shows have sold out and feedback is very positive.

whatwouldcooleydo?

cortez the killer wrote:
Mon Jul 17, 2023 1:12 pm
How was it?
Not especially great, to be honest. I have seen Neil at least 60 times and if this isn’t the lowest rated show I’ve seen it’s certainly in the conversation. He’s always been so consistent live that I have to say that Neil at his worst is still better than most. I was with a group of hardcore Rusties, people who all have seen Neil even more than I have, and most of them said it was the worst Neil show they have seen, something I also heard out of random people in the crowd after the show. I’m usually a tough (but fair) critic so it’s pretty unusual for others to be more critical than me

My biggest gripe was some of the material, while I heard others bitching about his performance & overall stage presence. Many said that they thought he was physically wobbly and that his voice was slurring. I didn’t personally pick up on that but I can kind of see it. Even for Neil Young this was by far the loosest, least structured show I have seen. Between songs he just kind of wandered around aimlessly and rambled on about whatever was in his mind. He’s always done this but this time seems like a completely other level. At times I felt like I was watching the Neil Young portrayed when comedians parody him. Pretty certain it is the shortest set I have seen him do when it’s a full official Neil Young show

I am seeing him again next Monday in Tahoe but it’s become uncertain. My wife is recently having some serious stomach issues and if she doesn’t improve I don’t know if we’ll be able to pull it off

cortez the killer

Mon Jul 17, 2023 5:52 pm
cortez the killer wrote:
How was it?
Not especially great, to be honest. I have seen Neil at least 60 times and if this isn’t the lowest rated show I’ve seen it’s certainly in the conversation. He’s always been so consistent live that I have to say that Neil at his worst is still better than most. I was with a group of hardcore Rusties, people who all have seen Neil even more than I have, and most of them said it was the worst Neil show they have seen, something I also heard out of random people in the crowd after the show. I’m usually a tough (but fair) critic so it’s pretty unusual for others to be more critical than me

My biggest gripe was some of the material, while I heard others bitching about his performance & overall stage presence. Many said that they thought he was physically wobbly and that his voice was slurring. I didn’t personally pick up on that but I can kind of see it. Even for Neil Young this was by far the loosest, least structured show I have seen. Between songs he just kind of wandered around aimlessly and rambled on about whatever was in his mind. He’s always done this but this time seems like a completely other level. At times I felt like I was watching the Neil Young portrayed when comedians parody him. Pretty certain it is the shortest set I have seen him do when it’s a full official Neil Young show

I am seeing him again next Monday in Tahoe but it’s become uncertain. My wife is recently having some serious stomach issues and if she doesn’t improve I don’t know if we’ll be able to pull it off
:(

That sounds terrible.
- DPM

whatwouldcooleydo?

cortez the killer wrote:
Mon Jul 17, 2023 5:56 pm
cortez the killer wrote:

How was it?

That sounds terrible.
As I said, I am a tough critic but I would not go that far. If nothing else the Mirrorball & SWA songs were worth it, they were nailed & were the only real rarities in the show he billed in his own words as “songs no one has heard.” His guitar playing wasn’t what we typically get, no getting around that. For me it came down to it overall just having the feel of a really sappy singer-songwriter show and not Neil Young. It just had the “low T” feel of someone like James Taylor or others of that ilk

He hasn’t played live much in years other than those random appearances with Stills and such. I know he’s old, obviously, do maybe he’s having to rediscover his road legs. From things he has said & from things from reliable sources it sounds like he’s still pretty scared of Covid. Hopefully this tour is just a warmup and that he’s building towards something better

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Legendary rock star or not, you can’t get around the fact that he’s a 77 year old guy

brettac1

Post by brettac1 »

I have endless respect for artists who actually give a shit about COVID.

Hope Neil finds his groove and I'm able to catch him live at some point as he's a bucket list artist for me. I was hoping to be able to catch him on this CA tour as I am flying out there four times this late summer/fall yet but unfortunately he announced this run on such short notice I couldn't pull it off.
Wound up bleeding on the bar floor
We don't bet on the ball no more

whatwouldcooleydo?

cortez the killer wrote:
cortez the killer wrote:

How was it?

That sounds terrible.
I texted this to a Heathen earlier:

Problem with Neil at this point is that he can get away with just about anything so long as he shows up & does the set. An awful lot of people are there simply to be in his presence

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

Mon Jul 17, 2023 7:37 pm
cortez the killer wrote:

That sounds terrible.

Problem with Neil at this point is that he can get away with just about anything so long as he shows up & does the set. An awful lot of people are there simply to be in his presence
I've been a pretty hard core Neil fan since my teens (long long time ago) & I'm skipping this go round. Neil has been an expensive old guy for awhile now but ticket prices this go round were really high here. $180 for a reserved seat, $80 for the lawn. Also, the venue he's playing in the Seattle area is terrible to get in & out of during the work week. Really bad. I couldn't justify the money for such a short solo show as I'm on a fixed income. Also, my health issues are pretty bad right now & it's a challenge to go to stuff. I've got another dose of chemo in a week & 2 "minor" surgeries in the next month as soon as the insurance & scheduling issues get resolved. The second one isn't that minor as the words "bone saw" were associated with it & I'll be in the hospital at least a few days. If Neil comes back with the Horse or POTR I'll consider it. Sorry for you wife's troubles. Hope she is well soon.

whatwouldcooleydo?

For what it’s worth, many Rusties (the Neil online community version of Heathens) are raving about the show, and the one review I read from San Francisco paper was quite positive as well.

whatwouldcooleydo?

chuckrh wrote:
Mon Jul 17, 2023 8:09 pm
Mon Jul 17, 2023 7:37 pm
cortez the killer wrote:

That sounds terrible.

I've been a pretty hard core Neil fan since my teens (long long time ago) & I'm skipping this go round. Neil has been an expensive old guy for awhile now but ticket prices this go round were really high here. $180 for a reserved seat, $80 for the lawn. Also, the venue he's playing in the Seattle area is terrible to get in & out of during the work week. Really bad. I couldn't justify the money for such a short solo show as I'm on a fixed income. Also, my health issues are pretty bad right now & it's a challenge to go to stuff. I've got another dose of chemo in a week & 2 "minor" surgeries in the next month as soon as the insurance & scheduling issues get resolved. The second one isn't that minor as the words "bone saw" were associated with it & I'll be in the hospital at least a few days. If Neil comes back with the Horse or POTR I'll consider it. Sorry for you wife's troubles. Hope she is well soon.
$180 would have been a bargain in Berkeley for good seats. Sorry to hear about your issues, it’s been a long while since we’ve communicated but damn, you really do deserve to catch a break. Hang in there.

Thanks for the kind words, hopefully at the very least we can find out what is going on ASAP & then move on to dealing with whatever is fucking up her stomach

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Pretty certain it is the shortest set I have seen him do when it’s a full official Neil Young show
As they used to say in the borscht belt, "the food here is terrible, and such small portions, too!" :D ;)
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

Zip Up to Michigan

Post by Zip Up to Michigan »

Zip City wrote:
Sun Jun 25, 2023 12:23 am
Saw My Morning Jacket for the 9th time tonight. Somehow managed to get five songs I had never seen live before (Cobra, The Bear, Easy Morning Rebel, Wasted and Least Expected).

Show opened with Phone Went West. Ridiculous.
Phone opening would have been worth the price of admission.
Tonight- Lyle Lovett & His Large Band (Redding, CA)

I saw Lyle for the first time this summer. Wonderful show.

cortez the killer

jr29 wrote:
Mon Jul 17, 2023 4:50 pm
cortez the killer wrote:
Mon Jul 17, 2023 11:47 am
jr29 wrote:
Judging by social media stuff it appears this tour is going very well for SV. Several shows have sold out and feedback is very positive.
You're in for a treat, jr29. The Volt is charged and firing on all cylinders. Of course, when you play Trace in its entirely as it appears on the album, you cannot go wrong.
- DPM

Jonicont
Site Admin

Post by Jonicont »

Aaron Lee Tasjan right now
Always go to the show