Who's Everyone Seeing Live?

Know of a great band you think we'd like to hear about? Got some music news? Or just want to talk about music in general? Post it here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

chuckrh

Re: Who's Everyone Seeing Live?

Post by chuckrh »

I went. They were awesome. They did a lot of audience requests. The show was pretty much sold out. My ears are ringing!

tinnitus photography

Post by tinnitus photography »

glad you rallied Chuck. i missed their show here as i was overseas but friends who went loved it

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

chuckrh wrote:
Sun May 21, 2023 5:50 am
I went. They were awesome. They did a lot of audience requests. The show was pretty much sold out. My ears are ringing!
So glad to hear this!! Good for you!
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

schlanky

Post by schlanky »

Zip City wrote:
Fri May 19, 2023 4:38 pm
schlanky wrote:
Fri May 19, 2023 12:58 pm
Dexateens on Saturday at Mom's Basement in Birmingham. I've heard good things about the bar, but I've never been. Pics online look like this place is way too small for a Dexateens show.
For some reason I thought they had “retired”
They don't play often. Last night's show at Mom's Basement was glorious. I've listened to old downloads of wild sets at Egan's in Tuscaloosa and always wondered what it would have been like to have seen those shows in person. Last night was how I'd always envisioned those. This was only my second time to see the band with John Smith.

Venue was very small. There was no stage. The drum kit was set up in front of the snack machine. Elliott ventured out into the crowd early and often, dragging cords behind him. The crowd was energetic, but well-behaved. Band was fast and wild. Setlist was similar to the Live at the 40 Watt album.

Toward the end of the set, past band member Nikolaus Mimikakis took the mic for three songs. It started with someone walking through the audience with a cowbell before the band slipped into Honky Tonk Women. Next was Rocks Off, then Bitch. With horns. Two trumpets and a sax. The horns were fun, and the young sax player absolutely tore the roof off the place at the end of Bitch. Jagger would be proud of Mimikakis’s moves.

Chatted with Matt for a couple of minutes. He said he'd set up sound for Wednesday in Water Valley that morning before hitting the road to Birmingham. He said Nik performed in a Stones cover band which explains the choice of three Stones covers.
Let the outside air in

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Nice, shlanky. Glad the show lived up to expectations. No doubt the 'teens can rip it up.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

Sterling Bigmouth

Post by Sterling Bigmouth »

Charley Crockett tomorrow night.
Turn it up to 10 and rip off the knob

cortez the killer

Post by cortez the killer »

Elder Saturday night.
You are entitled to your opinion, but you are not entitled to your own facts.
- DPM

Bill in CT

Post by Bill in CT »

6/2 The Sisters of Mercy - Brooklyn, NY
6/3 Elder/Ruby the Hatchet/Howling Giant - Hamden, CT
6/9 Brandi Carlile/Marcus Mumford/Allison Russell - Quincy, WA
6/10 Joni Jam (Joni Mitchell, Brandi Carlile, etc.) - Quincy, WA
6/11 The Highwomen/Tanya Tucker - Quincy, WA
The closer you get to the meaning
The sooner you'll know that you're dreaming

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

Well, here I am in recovery mode. Pretty good show, 2 hours 45 minutes on the button. TBH I thought they were better in 2016. That's not saying they were bad this time. I saw an epic show in Portland (Ridgefield) in 2016 that would be hard to top. Part of the issue was a sort of lame Seattle crowd which happens a fair amount. Let's call them second encore people. For instance there were no woah, woahs in Push & very few hands in the sky during FTEOTDGS. For the most part I still can't understand Robert when he talks but he's very clear when he's singing. His voice was great. He must be taking care of it better. The pacing was a bit weird & Robert admitted it (I understood that). He said "fook me I shouldn't have followed 100 years with Lullaby". At times there were too many mopey songs in a row & the show ground to a total halt during Another Happy Birthday. I'm on the fence about that song. The other new songs were very good.
Reeves blew me away again. It's not just the featured solos but also the little fills he puts in songs. If you isolated his guitar there's some mind blowing stuff in there. He's definitely in my top 5 guitarists. My faves from the show were: Burn, Hungry Ghost, Night Like This, Forest, FTEOTDGS (Forest & FTEOTDGS were totally mighty), Want, Shake Dog Shake & 100 years. So overall it was a good concert. They sure were selling a ton of merch. Robert must've put his foot down about the venues adding money to it. I bought 1 shirt at the show & ordered a few more this morning. I'd go see them again & hopefully with lessons learned this time the ticketing will be less chaotic. I managed to sell my extra outside to a nice (unfortunately married) lady for face value. She enjoyed the show too having never seen them before. She was 10 years younger than me & definitely more into encore 2 which is fine. I'm glad I didn't have to eat the ticket.

tinnitus photography

really bummed that i will be out of the country when they play... was hoping to get to photograph them again (it's been a while, since 2007). they are a fantastic live band but like you said, sometimes pacing/set list choices can work against them.

tinnitus photography

saw Elder's hometown PVD show last night, support by Ruby The Hatchet and Howling Giant. All the bands sounded awesome, good to see Nick and Jack tearing it up in their old stomping grounds in front of a full house, friends and family and newcomers alike.

last night marks the 15th time that i've seen Elder, in 14 different venues (only TTs was a repeat).

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

tinnitus photography wrote:
Sat Jun 03, 2023 12:06 pm
really bummed that i will be out of the country when they play... was hoping to get to photograph them again (it's been a while, since 2007). they are a fantastic live band but like you said, sometimes pacing/set list choices can work against them.
They did 10:15 Saturday Night/Killing an Arab last night in Vancouver. Missed it by 1 night! Would've been a bad night for the start heading to the car during Boys Don't Cry strategy, haha.

emandrisdad

Post by emandrisdad »

chuckrh wrote:
Sat Jun 03, 2023 12:24 pm
They did 10:15 Saturday Night/Killing an Arab last night in Vancouver. Missed it by 1 night! Would've been a bad night for the start heading to the car during Boys Don't Cry strategy, haha.
Im really looking forward to the MSG show in a few weeks. Im also regretting missing the Hoodoo Gurus. Im afraid that might have been my last chance to see them again.

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

emandrisdad wrote:
Sun Jun 04, 2023 10:48 am
chuckrh wrote:
Im really looking forward to the MSG show in a few weeks. Im also regretting missing the Hoodoo Gurus. Im afraid that might have been my last chance to see them again.
Next up for me is Social Distortion in a club first weekend of July. They sold out 3 nights here & could've played a bigger venue but wanted to start the tour in a club. Should be good.

cortez the killer

Sat Jun 03, 2023 12:11 pm
saw Elder's hometown PVD show last night, support by Ruby The Hatchet and Howling Giant. All the bands sounded awesome, good to see Nick and Jack tearing it up in their old stomping grounds in front of a full house, friends and family and newcomers alike.

last night marks the 15th time that i've seen Elder, in 14 different venues (only TTs was a repeat).
Agreed. All three bands were LOUD and great. Elder brings it live. Was pleasantly surprised by Ruby the Hatchet. Lead singer was like a metal version of Stevie Nicks and their cover of Quarterflash's (complete with sax!!!) "Harden My Heart" was fuckin' killer.
- DPM

cortez the killer

chuckrh wrote:
Sat Jun 03, 2023 7:00 am
Well, here I am in recovery mode. Pretty good show, 2 hours 45 minutes on the button. TBH I thought they were better in 2016. That's not saying they were bad this time. I saw an epic show in Portland (Ridgefield) in 2016 that would be hard to top. Part of the issue was a sort of lame Seattle crowd which happens a fair amount. Let's call them second encore people. For instance there were no woah, woahs in Push & very few hands in the sky during FTEOTDGS. For the most part I still can't understand Robert when he talks but he's very clear when he's singing. His voice was great. He must be taking care of it better. The pacing was a bit weird & Robert admitted it (I understood that). He said "fook me I shouldn't have followed 100 years with Lullaby". At times there were too many mopey songs in a row & the show ground to a total halt during Another Happy Birthday. I'm on the fence about that song. The other new songs were very good.
Reeves blew me away again. It's not just the featured solos but also the little fills he puts in songs. If you isolated his guitar there's some mind blowing stuff in there. He's definitely in my top 5 guitarists. My faves from the show were: Burn, Hungry Ghost, Night Like This, Forest, FTEOTDGS (Forest & FTEOTDGS were totally mighty), Want, Shake Dog Shake & 100 years. So overall it was a good concert. They sure were selling a ton of merch. Robert must've put his foot down about the venues adding money to it. I bought 1 shirt at the show & ordered a few more this morning. I'd go see them again & hopefully with lessons learned this time the ticketing will be less chaotic. I managed to sell my extra outside to a nice (unfortunately married) lady for face value. She enjoyed the show too having never seen them before. She was 10 years younger than me & definitely more into encore 2 which is fine. I'm glad I didn't have to eat the ticket.
Awesome, Chuck. Happy for you.
- DPM

tinnitus photography

a bit of a weird but strong bill tonight with Pixies/Franz Ferdinand/Bully.

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

Thu Jun 08, 2023 9:04 am
a bit of a weird but strong bill tonight with Pixies/Franz Ferdinand/Bully.
Interesting bill. We've got Pixies/Modest Mouse/Cat Power coming up here. It's in the arena which seems like a bit of a reach. My next show got postponed. Social Distortion first weekend of July. Mike Ness is being treated for tonsil cancer, so the tour & new album release have been pushed back. Luckily they caught the cancer early.

tinnitus photography

yeah that tour is coming here later but it's out in western mass where Wilco holds Solid Sound. two hours away = too far for an out and back

tinnitus photography

killer bill tonight w/ Yob, Cave In and GOZU. it'll be good to see a bunch of familiar faces and get my ears blown off.

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

Thu Jun 08, 2023 10:37 am
yeah that tour is coming here later but it's out in western mass where Wilco holds Solid Sound. two hours away = too far for an out and back
Wilco is doing 2 nights in a theater here in October. I'm only going to one & I got $40 tickets (low). I can't do 2 nights in a row anymore. I have a rule that second nights are better most of the time. I've done 2 nights of Wilco before & it was great. I wish I could do more Cure shows. They were really great. I'm taking a pass on Neil Young solo. He's playing a horrible venue from a traffic standpoint & no band. I've seen Neil a real lot.

brettac1

Post by brettac1 »

Saw Charles Wesley Godwin in Milwaukee on Thursday night. Absolutely fantastic show.
Do you ever get tired of singin' songs
Like all your pain is just another fuckin' sing along?

cortez the killer

Yo La Tengo @ Treehouse Brewery in S. Deerfield, Ma (6/14/23)
- DPM

Clams

Post by Clams »

Waited like 10 years but finally caught Caitlin Rose who sounded great while tipsy on tequila at Milkboy Philly over the weekend
Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

jr29

Post by jr29 »

Summer vacation in the upper midwest....

Saw John Anderson in Shipshewanna, Indiana last night. He's the best.
Might see Brent Cobb Tuesday in Minneapolis.
Nitty Gritty Dirt Band on Thursday in Bayfield, Wisconsin.
Blue Ox Music Festival in Eau Claire, Wisconsin next Friday.
Next Saturday we'll either go to Blue Ox again, or head back toward home and catch American Aquarium in St. Louis.

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

August 10 Buddy Guy
August 23 The Flaming Lips @ the zoo. They're doing all of "Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots" then a whole other set after that. Reports from the tour are fantastic. The show sold out literally in a minute here.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

MMJ isn’t playing Columbus for the first time in 10+ years, so I’ll be road trippin’ to Newport, KY to catch them next week
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

cortez the killer

Jeff Tweedy tomorrow night @ Treehouse Brewing.
- DPM

emandrisdad

Post by emandrisdad »

Just scored a free ticket to The Cure at MSG tomorrow so I’ll be seeing them back to back nights.

pearlbeer

Post by pearlbeer »

chuckrh wrote:
Sun Jun 04, 2023 2:47 pm
emandrisdad wrote:
Sun Jun 04, 2023 10:48 am
chuckrh wrote:

Next up for me is Social Distortion in a club first weekend of July. They sold out 3 nights here & could've played a bigger venue but wanted to start the tour in a club. Should be good.
Last time I saw Social D, I learned that indeed I am, too old for the mosh pit.
Love each other, Motherfuckers!