Who's Everyone Seeing Live?

Know of a great band you think we'd like to hear about? Got some music news? Or just want to talk about music in general? Post it here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

tinnitus photography

Re: Who's Everyone Seeing Live?

Post by tinnitus photography »

Psycho ... i've been to better line ups, but damn has this been a really good event so far. EVERYONE needed this.

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

I'm skipping Mammoth WVH tomorrow night. My doctor didn't think it was a good idea as the delta variant is on the rampage here. They are playing a small theater that will be packed. When I went to a baseball game (first time out for fun since pandemic started) there weren't many people there & I had a whole section in the bleachers to myself. Luckily, Mammoth WVH tickets were cheap. I'm actually hoping they cancel/postpone the show but if not I'll eat the cost. It wasn't much. Kind of bummed about missing the show but it's the smart move for me. I've had quite enough of hospitals this year!

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

Message from Neil Young regarding concerts & the pandemic. Neil hits the nail on the head, so to speak:

“Recently I pulled out of Farm Aid for fear that unprotected children may become infected with Covid by folks who went to the show, caught the virus, had no symptoms and returned home to hug their kids or someone else’s kids. I felt that we didn’t know what we were up against and we were endangering others, unprotected innocent children in particular. I know of tours that are out there and have to stop where they are and isolate in motels because one person among them tested positive. I ask myself, why are they out there?
Money and business. These two need each other. This has been the American way for years and years. Now it has turned on the country in a new way.
The big promoters, if they had the awareness, could stop these shows. Without that, everyone just keeps going like everything is OK. It’s not. Live Nation, AEG and the other big promoters could shut this down if they could just forget about making money for a while….. They control much of the entertainment business. They hold the power to stop shows where thousands congregate and spread. It’s money that keeps it going. Money that motivates the spreading. The big promoters are responsible for super spreaders.
These giants of entertainment just renovated a lot of old venues and spent a lot of cash to do that. Now they can’t stop selling tickets to pay for it. Money and business. That doesn’t make this OK. It’s a bad example. Folks see concerts advertised and think it must be OK to go and mingle. It’s not. These are super-spreader events, irresponsible Freedom Fests. We need Freedom to be safe. Not a bad example. This could be just the beginning.”

https://neilyoungarchives.com/news/1/ar ... e-Pandemic

tinnitus photography

i do find it more than a bit rich when Neil is a 1% who doesn't have to work another day in his life, unlike the vast majority of working musicians (not to mention the surrounding crew like roadies, sound guys, TMs, etc). I think you can still have concerts in a safe manner, and i don't believe that a zero risk state is necessary or desirable.

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

tinnitus photography wrote:
Tue Aug 31, 2021 12:43 pm
i do find it more than a bit rich when Neil is a 1% who doesn't have to work another day in his life, unlike the vast majority of working musicians (not to mention the surrounding crew like roadies, sound guys, TMs, etc). I think you can still have concerts in a safe manner, and i don't believe that a zero risk state is necessary or desirable.
I think Neil's point about kids is valid though. I'm sort of an adopted grandpa to a bunch of real small children & it is definitely a concern. I believe it's why Trent Reznor cancelled everything as he has at least 5 little kids. I was watching a preseason NFL game & was struck by how at least 80% of the crowd were unmasked. You can have all the protocols you want but with no way to enforce them they are useless. The fake COVID cards are a problem, too. Things are bad here, the hospitals are starting to get overwhelmed. This issue is real personal for me as 1 of my best friends almost died. It got to the point where the doctors told his wife to say her goodbyes & get ready to raise their 2 toddlers on her own. He's a tought SOB though & came back after months in the hospital. & I'm in constant danger despite my best efforts as I'm immunocompromised.
If you've read some of my stuff you'll know how I feel about big corporations so I won't get into that. I did beat Live Nation in a dispute that made the local TV news about ADA seating. I got a personal email from the CEO apologizing after the negative publicity & some Seahawk tickets. Have you noticed that the service charges have crept up from about 20% to about 30%?
I get your point about all the people who work in live music. Perhaps it might be time to temporarily consider getting another job until this blows over to an acceptable level. Jobs are going begging here. 1 example: my local Whole Foods is having such a hard time finding help that they've had to drastically cut back goods & services. Part of that is Amazon/Whole Foods doesn't have a great reputation about how they treat the worker bees but another part is people don't want to lower themselves which is understandable. I had to work in a job I absolutely hated for 13 years after the retail end of the music went away. That was after working 25+ years in music distribution. Circumstances dictated that I had to suck it up. In the end it worked out because I was covered by disability insurance that I wouldn't have had outside the belly of the beast. Haven't missed it a single minute in 2 years now.
It's a complicated issue. I think the bottom line is the anti vax/anti mask crowd are bringing us all down. Perhaps it's time to treat them in a manner befitting their notions.

tinnitus photography

if Neil or Trent want to sit on the sidelines that's fine, but exhorting the big players to shut an entire industry down? that's a non-starter for me. Non-vaxxed pre-teens is a real thing no doubt, but here's the rub - what is level of COVID necessary for Neil et al to be safe? Who makes that call?

fwiw, it sounds like the UK is a the fuck-it-all level. we shall see how this plays out.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/08/28/worl ... in-uk.html

and the risk of kids dying? 36 kids under 10 have died from Feb 12 through July. obv it's a tragedy to have anyone dying. does it mean everything should shut down? for me, the answer is no.

https://www.nbcnews.com/health/health-n ... 9-n1240139

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Fri Aug 27, 2021 9:21 am
i think there are some Wilco fans here:
https://digboston.com/fotobom-wilco-and ... -pavilion/
Nice. Top quality photos as usual.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Tue Aug 31, 2021 3:13 pm
if Neil or Trent want to sit on the sidelines that's fine, but exhorting the big players to shut an entire industry down? that's a non-starter for me. Non-vaxxed pre-teens is a real thing no doubt, but here's the rub - what is level of COVID necessary for Neil et al to be safe? Who makes that call?

fwiw, it sounds like the UK is a the fuck-it-all level. we shall see how this plays out.
It seems to me that the real question here is whether we can find and apply a useful principle that can guide us through this and other messes. Right now the 2 choices other than pure "freedom of choice" seem to be something close to lockdown or "my gut is better than your gut" at deciding what everyone should consider to be an acceptable level of risk. That is not particularly satisfying and I'm not at all sure it's useful.

You are quite right to insist that risk cannot be totally eliminated and by definition we all live w/ what we conclude (usually implicitly) is an acceptable level of risk, particularly when balanced against the various and varied rewards that come from having a life. But how much risk? Whose risk? And who should pay for it? For example, we all used to assume the risk of drunk drivers taking to the roads and putting us all at risk. While we have not reduced that risk to zero we have reduced the risk substantially through a variety of measures and have often shifted the cost to the drunks (higher insurance premiums, host liability, stiffer criminal penalties, etc). Seat belts went from a theoretical concept to "it's available but car buyers won't pay for it," to an option to a requirement and that requirement goes into the price of every car. Living downstream from an industrial plant used to be at the risk of the downstream property owners/renters/water drinkers. At least in theory, it no longer is. What these things have in common are available solutions at reasonable cost with reasonable ways to place those costs where they belong.

How should similar concerns apply to covid? It seems to me that most people would agree that the residual risk remaining after [virtually] universal vaccination would be acceptable, even for unvaccinate-able children. Anything less than universal vaccination where universal vaccination is available and free or virtually free is a step towards a higher level of risk. Right now we are essentially substituting each of our gut level reactions for any attempt to quantify the amount of risk we face in any given situation and the acceptability of that risk to each of us in a less than fully vaccinated world. I don't have the answer to this, and maybe there is no single magic bullet answer, but at the very least it seems to me that it is time to shift the burden on to the unvaccinated who are choosing to create or at least are failing to mitigate the risk and who have prolonged the pandemic by rejecting a simple, available, cheap solution. Surely "vaccinated only" events make sense (with or w/out a negative test option - that's a level of detail beyond what I'm trying to explore). Having the unvaccinated pay higher health insurance premiums may be another way to attack the problem, but there are issues there that make it a less than ideal tool. Can you envision "unvaccinated cars or sections" similar to "smoking cars or sections" on trains or airplanes? Or even more controversially, designated unvaccinated classrooms?

BTW, has anybody else noticed the similarity between the unvaccinated howling at the negative implications of government vaccine ID's (or other documentation) and voting rights advocates howling at the suggestion of universal voting ID's? To me, they are the same thing, i.e. a small, theoretical problem enlarged into a massive, exaggerated problem for political reasons having nothing to do with the issue at hand.

In any case, I think we need to find a place between lockdown and wide open. The current politicization of what should be a non-political problem is preventing us from developing and implementing reasonable solutions. Note that the market has been forced to implement solutions and that is starting to have an effect, e.g., restaurants, concert promoters, venues and bands insisting on vaccines or negative tests as well as a wide range of private businesses setting standards/rules for their employees. These folks know that their businesses and their health depends on finding rational, reasonable solutions removed from either extreme. Unfortunately, the market will never fully and adequately address this problem so more is needed, but it is interesting and heartening to see this happening.

tinnitus photography

BTW, has anybody else noticed the similarity between the unvaccinated howling at the negative implications of government vaccine ID's (or other documentation) and voting rights advocates howling at the suggestion of universal voting ID's? To me, they are the same thing, i.e. a small, theoretical problem enlarged into a massive, exaggerated problem for political reasons having nothing to do with the issue at hand.
that's a really good insight.

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

beantownbubba wrote:
Tue Aug 31, 2021 3:43 pm
Fri Aug 27, 2021 9:21 am
i think there are some Wilco fans here:
https://digboston.com/fotobom-wilco-and ... -pavilion/
Nice. Top quality photos as usual.
What Bubba said. I hope that things are better in 6 weeks when we finally get the Wilco make up show from the beginning of the pandemic. We're not getting SK so it would be a longer Wilco set. I'm going to have to make a judgement call closer to the show.

LBRod

Post by LBRod »

beantownbubba wrote:
Tue Aug 31, 2021 4:15 pm

It seems to me that the real question here is whether we can find and apply a useful principle that can guide us through this and other messes. Right now the 2 choices other than pure "freedom of choice" seem to be something close to lockdown or "my gut is better than your gut" at deciding what everyone should consider to be an acceptable level of risk. That is not particularly satisfying and I'm not at all sure it's useful.

What is wrong with pure freedom of choice?
Don't hurt people, and don't take their stuff.

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

LBRod wrote:
Wed Sep 01, 2021 2:31 pm
beantownbubba wrote:

Nothing as long as your freedom doesn't affect someone else's freedom to live a healthy life, indeed live.

LBRod

Post by LBRod »

chuckrh wrote:
Wed Sep 01, 2021 2:50 pm
LBRod wrote:
beantownbubba wrote:

Nothing as long as your freedom doesn't affect someone else's freedom to live a healthy life, indeed live.
My overly simplistic response got the answer it deserved. There is an interesting conversation to be had revolving around those basic concepts,
and the application of government force to them. In the mean time, Chuck, my advice is keep your head down, and your mask on.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

LBRod wrote:
beantownbubba wrote:

I'm going to take a different approach than Chuck did.

"Pure freedom of choice" is a legitimate political philosophy and serious arguments have been made to advance it. I personally think the most serious ones are those that acknowledge that there are limits to freedom of choice in at least certain circumstances, but either with those limitations or even taken literally there is nothing wrong with pure freedom of choice as an approach to how to organize society; there are only questions about how effective and realistic it is in practice.

But "pure freedom of choice" in the context of covid is not that. It's something else, something less and in my personal view essentially a farce. In an effort to keep this to less than book length, I'll make only 2 arguments, one procedural and one substantive.

Procedurally, I regard the "freedom of choice" argument against vaccination for covid to be a largely ex post facto fig leaf ginned up to distract from the real reasons motivating the loudest anti vaxxers. Essentially those folks are fighting a rearguard action against Trump's loss of the election and against the increasing role that science, technology and highly educated people are playing in their lives. While the former is a joke, the latter is not but they picked the wrong issue to take a stand on: The science is continually proved right, the anti-science is continually proved wrong and now people are dying for their 'freedom' which I don't think was their intent, nor do I think it makes much sense as a strategy. I should hasten to add that undoubtedly some people legitimately and truly believe in the freedom argument. I believe they're a small minority of the many people pretending to make this claim. I also believe that minority does not include a single elected politician who flies the banner of "personal freedom", all of whom are engaged in pure cynicism for personal gain.

Substantively, we've got people objecting that the covid vaccine is untested and unproven except that it has been carefully and deeply tested and studied and the results are quite positive with very little downside. The same people who claim that the vaccine is untested (or not adequately tested) and unproven are the ones who go ahead and take deworming medicine for horses in horse sized doses as an alternative to vaccines, which redefines untested, unproven and stupid. There is great overlap between Trump supporters and anti vaxxers Yet the anti vaxxers ignore and reject what is imho Trump's greatest achievement by several orders of magnitude, i.e. the vaccines developed in record, astonishing time, because reality must fall when it comes up against mass manipulation and agendas that have nothing to do with public health. The anti vaxxers accept as their leaders people who have very clearly said that they have been vaccinated even though they urge others to revel in their unvaccinated "freedom." Call it hypocrisy, call it stupidity, call it people unclear on the concept, but this is completely nonsensical on any rational basis. Add to that the now clear reality that arguments in support of herd immunity through exposure as opposed to vaccines has been proven wrong, in Sweden (the leading advocate of this approach among developed economies) and in the US. In fact, the actions of the anti vaxxers are prolonging the pandemic and preventing the economy from fully recovering. Again, there may be a few people who have legitimate reservations about the safety and efficacy of the vaccine and legitimate concerns about whether lockdowns pending vaccines was the best approach to the pandemic. But they're a small minority among the popular stampede to turn a very straightforward public health issue into the leading edge of the culture wars for purposes far removed from stopping a pandemic.

Or put more plainly, "pure personal freedom" as a basis for rejecting universal vaccination is a joke and I don't take it seriously.

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

beantownbubba wrote:
Wed Sep 01, 2021 11:15 pm
LBRod wrote:
beantownbubba wrote:

I'm going to take a different approach than Chuck did.

"Pure freedom of choice" is a legitimate political philosophy and serious arguments have been made to advance it. I personally think the most serious ones are those that acknowledge that there are limits to freedom of choice in at least certain circumstances, but either with those limitations or even taken literally there is nothing wrong with pure freedom of choice as an approach to how to organize society; there are only questions about how effective and realistic it is in practice.

But "pure freedom of choice" in the context of covid is not that. It's something else, something less and in my personal view essentially a farce. In an effort to keep this to less than book length, I'll make only 2 arguments, one procedural and one substantive.

Procedurally, I regard the "freedom of choice" argument against vaccination for covid to be a largely ex post facto fig leaf ginned up to distract from the real reasons motivating the loudest anti vaxxers. Essentially those folks are fighting a rearguard action against Trump's loss of the election and against the increasing role that science, technology and highly educated people are playing in their lives. While the former is a joke, the latter is not but they picked the wrong issue to take a stand on: The science is continually proved right, the anti-science is continually proved wrong and now people are dying for their 'freedom' which I don't think was their intent, nor do I think it makes much sense as a strategy. I should hasten to add that undoubtedly some people legitimately and truly believe in the freedom argument. I believe they're a small minority of the many people pretending to make this claim. I also believe that minority does not include a single elected politician who flies the banner of "personal freedom", all of whom are engaged in pure cynicism for personal gain.

Substantively, we've got people objecting that the covid vaccine is untested and unproven except that it has been carefully and deeply tested and studied and the results are quite positive with very little downside. The same people who claim that the vaccine is untested (or not adequately tested) and unproven are the ones who go ahead and take deworming medicine for horses in horse sized doses as an alternative to vaccines, which redefines untested, unproven and stupid. There is great overlap between Trump supporters and anti vaxxers Yet the anti vaxxers ignore and reject what is imho Trump's greatest achievement by several orders of magnitude, i.e. the vaccines developed in record, astonishing time, because reality must fall when it comes up against mass manipulation and agendas that have nothing to do with public health. The anti vaxxers accept as their leaders people who have very clearly said that they have been vaccinated even though they urge others to revel in their unvaccinated "freedom." Call it hypocrisy, call it stupidity, call it people unclear on the concept, but this is completely nonsensical on any rational basis. Add to that the now clear reality that arguments in support of herd immunity through exposure as opposed to vaccines has been proven wrong, in Sweden (the leading advocate of this approach among developed economies) and in the US. In fact, the actions of the anti vaxxers are prolonging the pandemic and preventing the economy from fully recovering. Again, there may be a few people who have legitimate reservations about the safety and efficacy of the vaccine and legitimate concerns about whether lockdowns pending vaccines was the best approach to the pandemic. But they're a small minority among the popular stampede to turn a very straightforward public health issue into the leading edge of the culture wars for purposes far removed from stopping a pandemic.

Or put more plainly, "pure personal freedom" as a basis for rejecting universal vaccination is a joke and I don't take it seriously.
Written like a lawyer. That's not a bad thing! We'll give you a pass on the Shakespeare rule (first let's kill all the lawyers). ;) Obviously I kid, I kid!

Clams

Post by Clams »

Me and the Mrs went to the Outlaw Festival last night at the Mann Center in Philly. Was an absolutely beautiful fall evening and we had a great time. The lineup was stellar.

First up was Margo Price shaking her tambourine and dedicating You Don't Own Me with a middle finger to the state of Texas.

Next up was the Mule. You might say that Warren Haynes is a decent guitar player.

Third was Sturgill fucking Simpson who had his full 7 piece bluegrass band with him. Man can they play. Sierra Hull was the star of the set, the audience LOVED her.

Last but not least... WILLIE!! Man he is absolutely incredible. Hard to believe he can still do it night after night at age 88. He picked his old beat up guitar and played amazing solos on every single song. Such a treat to see him.
Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

rlipps

Post by rlipps »

Finally got to catch Mike & the Moonpies live for the first time Tuesday night at the Burl in Lexington, KY. It was a great show, they played from 9:00-10:45 and had a few special guests throughout the night. The pedal steel player wasn't able to be there, so it was only a 4-piece band. They brought out local favorite Justin Wells to sing Yesterday's Wine and then Jason Eady did Rambling Fever.

It was a fun night, my only small complaint was they only played 2 songs off their new album, which is barely a month old. Some of that might have been because they were missing the pedal steel. Go check them out if they are in your area.

Bill in CT

Post by Bill in CT »

9/18 Sea.Hear.Now Festival - Asbury Park, NJ
9/19 Sea.Hear.Now Festival - Asbury Park, NJ
9/25 Decibel Metal & Beer Festival - Philadelphia, PA
9/26 Decibel Metal & Beer Festival - Philadelphia, PA
9/30 Nirvana’s Nevermind 30th Anniversary Tribute Show - Nashville, TN
10/2 ShoalsFest - Florence, AL
10/3 ShoalsFest - Florence, AL
10/4 DBT/Buffalo Nichols - Nashville, TN
The closer you get to the meaning
The sooner you'll know that you're dreaming

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

Just got an email from Strand of Oaks saying they've cancelled their headlining tour. They are still going to go out opening for Jason Isbell.

Howlinwolf

Post by Howlinwolf »

Last night "The Sidewinders" -Phoenix, AZ
30th Anniversary blowout of the Auntie Rand's Pool Hall album -

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Sat Sep 18, 2021 3:38 pm
review and photos of the Black Crowes:

https://digboston.com/fotobom-the-black ... ty-center/
Just saw this. Nice work as usual tin. Would have liked to have been there but didn't have to make the choice re covid concerns since I was out of town. Nice to see Mr. Wolf looking and sounding healthy (not sure about the hair, but whatever...). Good stuff.

dime in the gutter

Post by dime in the gutter »

isaiah mitchell??!!

yo, beebs!

only tin could peak my interest enough to read a black crowes review. well done. thanks for posting.

dime in the gutter

Post by dime in the gutter »

Howlinwolf wrote:
Sat Sep 25, 2021 8:46 am
nice!! jelly. hope you danced.

tinnitus photography

dime in the gutter wrote:
Mon Sep 27, 2021 8:32 am
isaiah mitchell??!!

yo, beebs!

only tin could peak my interest enough to read a black crowes review. well done. thanks for posting.
thx Dime and Bubba!

Sterling Bigmouth

Post by Sterling Bigmouth »

9/29 - Lucero/Ian Noe in Nashville
10/3 - ShoalsFest
10/4 - DBT/Buffalo Nichols in Nashville
Turn it up to 10 and rip off the knob

cortez the killer

Post by cortez the killer »

Howlinwolf wrote:
Sat Sep 25, 2021 8:46 am
Damn!
You are entitled to your opinion, but you are not entitled to your own facts.
- DPM

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

My Morning Jacket tomorrow & Wilco in 2 weeks. Passed on Foo Fighter tickets yesterday. They're playing in 2 weeks in our glorious new Climate Pledge Arena. I liked early Foos but $120 for a ticket was more than I like them now. Too much Dave all the time. Doc thinks it should be ok since I'm triple vaccinated & the show has a proof of vax/mask requirement.

LBRod

Post by LBRod »

It’s Shoals Fest time, but here at the Dazed it feels like Homecoming.