Who's Everyone Seeing Live?

Know of a great band you think we'd like to hear about? Got some music news? Or just want to talk about music in general? Post it here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

jr29

Re: Who's Everyone Seeing Live?

Post by jr29 »

sactochris wrote:This year has been barren for me. So far the only live music I've seen was a short set by Michael Dean Damron, in April. I do have tickets for shows in October by DBT, Brian Wilson, and Jimmy Buffett. Two cow Garage is also supposed to be out here in October, so I got that going for me.
My out of town show count is nonexistent this year. I haven't left Memphis at all to see live music this year which is really strange. I usually get to Nashville, St. Louis and Little Rock for shows on a fairly regular basis. It's looking like I'll be hitting DBT shows in Kansas City and Louisville this fall though.

sactochris

Post by sactochris »

jr29 wrote:
sactochris wrote:This year has been barren for me. So far the only live music I've seen was a short set by Michael Dean Damron, in April. I do have tickets for shows in October by DBT, Brian Wilson, and Jimmy Buffett. Two cow Garage is also supposed to be out here in October, so I got that going for me.
My out of town show count is nonexistent this year. I haven't left Memphis at all to see live music this year which is really strange. I usually get to Nashville, St. Louis and Little Rock for shows on a fairly regular basis. It's looking like I'll be hitting DBT shows in Kansas City and Louisville this fall though.

You have lot's of opportunity in Memphis. For that matter, there have been a lot of good shows here in Sac lately. Everything is just so expensive these days.
Keep calm and have a cigar

jr29

Post by jr29 »

sactochris wrote:
jr29 wrote:

You have lot's of opportunity in Memphis. For that matter, there have been a lot of good shows here in Sac lately. Everything is just so expensive these days.
Memphis doesn't get as many travelling acts as you might think and the crowds for the acts that do come through are extremely unreliable. I've seen Warren Haynes play for about 60 people and Albert Lee played for 17 one night last year....17....in a room that holds about 400. DBT is one exception, they always draw very well.
The thing Memphis does have going for it is the local talent. Steve Selvidge is one example. He plays lead guitar for The Hold Steady but he plays bars and coffee shops around here all the time. It's easy to see guys and gals like that around town....and I do pretty often.

LBRod

Post by LBRod »

sactochris wrote:This year has been barren for me. So far the only live music I've seen was a short set by Michael Dean Damron, in April. I do have tickets for shows in October by DBT, Brian Wilson, and Jimmy Buffett. Two Cow Garage is also supposed to be out here in October, so I got that going for me.
Let me know when Two Cow is coming around. I don't always know ahead of time.
Don't hurt people, and don't take their stuff.

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Iowan wrote:Willie
Turnpike Troubadours
Grace Potter
Hayes Carll
Shovels & Rope
Ray Lamontagne
Houndmouth
Cold War Kids
William Elliot Whitmore

Should be a fun little festival
http://hinterlandiowa.com/
Houndmouth was crazy good. The keyboard player left, but they had a three piece horn section and it was incredible. Lake Street Dive blew me away. Really, really fun. Grace Potter was fun. Turnpike and Hayes Carll were as good as they've been any other time I've seen them. Shovels and Rope really rocked more than I anticipated.

I wasn't sure what to expect from Willie, but really enjoyed it. His range is really limited, but he can carry a tune in what range he has left, and he sounds like, well, Willie. Awesome to see him shredding Trigger. Talk about a marriage. I can say I saw Willie, so there's that too.

Ray Lamontagne was like watching paint dry.

sactochris

Post by sactochris »

LBRod wrote:
sactochris wrote:This year has been barren for me. So far the only live music I've seen was a short set by Michael Dean Damron, in April. I do have tickets for shows in October by DBT, Brian Wilson, and Jimmy Buffett. Two Cow Garage is also supposed to be out here in October, so I got that going for me.
Let me know when Two Cow is coming around. I don't always know ahead of time.

I will get you the info as soon as I have it.
Last edited by sactochris on Sun Aug 14, 2016 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Keep calm and have a cigar

LBRod

Post by LBRod »

Kurt Vile tonight in Fresno
Hard Working Americans Friday at the Fillmore
Don't hurt people, and don't take their stuff.

allisonsdc
Site Admin

Post by allisonsdc »

Baroness / Pallbearer tonight
I keep it all together for the sake of the kids.

dogstar

Post by dogstar »

British Sea Power tonight doing one of their Krankenhaus nights. Not sure what exactly to expect but should be good.
"Guitars talk. If you really want to write a song, ask a guitar." Neil Young

whatwouldcooleydo?

Post by whatwouldcooleydo? »

dogstar wrote:British Sea Power tonight doing one of their Krankenhaus nights. Not sure what exactly to expect but should be good.
Nice! I have yet to see them live but really enjoy their albums. I am envious, enjoy
Son, this ain't a dream no more, it's the real thing

dogstar

Post by dogstar »

whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:
dogstar wrote:British Sea Power tonight doing one of their Krankenhaus nights. Not sure what exactly to expect but should be good.
Nice! I have yet to see them live but really enjoy their albums. I am envious, enjoy
Well that was lots of fun. Just a normal gig but with a later start time. Lots of oldies and quite a few new songs, which they're road testing. And I finally managed to get a Heron Addict tshirt

tinnitus photography

Post by tinnitus photography »

gonna see X tonight.

Duke Silver

Post by Duke Silver »

Eaux Claires 2016 was a blast. Got a chance to see...

William Tyler, playing Modern Country in its entirety. apparently he recorded the album in Wisconsin a couple years ago? who knew.
Phosphorescent
Jenny Lewis, w/ Lucius and the Staves
Tenement
Mavis Staples, w/ Lucius
Richard Reed Parry
Eighth Blackbird w/ Will Oldham
Bruce Hornsby (with his band and collaborating with just about everyone else)
Phil Cook's Southland Revue, w/ Justin Vernon, Bruce Hornsby, and a North Carolina gospel singer whose name escapes me...she absolutely stole the show.* Lena May Perry. See video below.
My Brightest Diamond
Unknown Mortal Orchestra
The Staves w/ yMusic
So Percussion w/ My Brightest Diamond
Vince Staples (I was nowhere near the stage but his set was inescapably loud)
and of course the Grateful Dead tribute, Day of the Dead. The backing band kicked ass and Will Oldham nailed his three songs, but the other guest vocalists kinda sleepwalked through it. Could've been better.

Kinda regret leaving before Bon Iver's new album debut on Friday night, but no regrets leaving early Saturday. Apparently Erykah Badu took the stage 45 minutes late and ended early...she was supposed to play 90 minutes. Ha.

Can't wait till next year. And, I think DBT would be perfect for it. I could really see Patterson getting into the collaborative spirit of the fest.

Here's a great write-up that captures a little bit of everything:

http://www.citypages.com/music/eaux-cla ... /390177752
Music festivals try desperately to cater to fans of all tastes, but each summer it seems the same series of bands take the top billing of festivals from coast to coast.

While Eaux Claires lacks some of the big names and massive draws of its counterparts, the refined lineup it assembled allowed for music lovers of any genre to see plenty of acts they adore in a gorgeous, forest-lined setting. At the same time, even the most avid music fans were introduced to unfamiliar artists worthy of discovery.
ain't no static on the gospel radio

Bill in CT

Post by Bill in CT »

8/19 X
8/20 Pearl Jam
8/21 Wilco
8/22 Pearl Jam
The closer you get to the meaning
The sooner you'll know that you're dreaming

Beebs

Post by Beebs »

Beebs wrote:
tinnitus photography wrote:dinosaur jr!
Almost made the trip down to Port Chester but I fucking hate Jane's Addiction. Hope to catch them solo in Hartford in September. Been awhile.
Just added a date at MassMOCA. Sweet!

Also, getting supremely pumped for Psycho.

Beebs is not a ragey man

porkulator

Post by porkulator »

Hardworking Americans tonight.
Living in fear's just another way of dying before your time.

UTHeathen

Post by UTHeathen »

We saw Ryan Adams and the Shining with Amanda Shires opening at the Red Butte Gardens in Salt Lake City on Monday night. Of the dozens of show that I've seen there over the years, I think this was the best. Amanda started the show, quieting the sold-out crowd of 3000+ with her crystalline voice a cappella. She played a short set in the sunshine and captivated the restless audience with her quirky charm and confident delivery.

Ryan Adams came out blazing. The only other time that I saw him, in 2007, he was sullen and moody, sat through the whole show, and ended it early when he felt disrespected by the audience. Monday's show could not have been more polar opposite. He was engaging, funny and personable throughout. The setlist was like he was reading my mind. He played the fan favorites with fervor, passion, grace and honest effort to bring something new to the songs he has played hundreds of times. He was a goddamn rock star. He sported a long sleeved Heavy Metal Shop t-shirt, representing the long-time Salt Lake City icon proudly. I could only imagine the expression on my friend Kevin Kirk's face when Ryan walked onstage wearing Kevin's shop shirt. Alternately channeling Grateful Dead, Pink Floyd and Black Sabbath, he crushed it. Amanda came back out for a stunningly beautiful rendition of "Oh My Sweet Carolina", making us all weak in the knees. Later, Ryan sang a solo version of "Wonderwall" that just may be the most beautiful thing I've ever heard in concert. No shit. Three days later and I'm still walking on air. Why he's not a household name is a mystery to me. Thank you Ryan Adams, you fucking smart ass genius.

Amanda Shires

Ryan Adams and the Shining

Ryan Adams

Ryan Adams

Beebs

Post by Beebs »

UTHeathen wrote:He was engaging, funny and personable throughout.
I'm under the impression that this is how he is more often than not these day. Unfortunately, a friend saw him in Missoula a few nights earlier and he threw a full blown tantrum like days of old. Top quote of the night was "I've already got your money so fuck all of you."

That was disappointing to read but I'm glad to hear new improved Ryan showed up in SLC. My Missoula buddy raved about Amanda Shires and his 15 year old daughter who was with him is smitten.

Glad you had a great night and nice job with the pics.
Beebs is not a ragey man

UTHeathen

Post by UTHeathen »

Beebs wrote:Unfortunately, a friend saw him in Missoula a few nights earlier and he threw a full blown tantrum like days of old. Top quote of the night was "I've already got your money so fuck all of you."
Wow, sorry to hear about the bad behavior in Missoula. And thanks for the kind words Beebs.

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

It's been 11 years since Ryan last played North Carolina. Though I've heard lots of speculation, it's still not clear to me why. Whatever it is, it would be nice to see him put it in the past. When he played here in 2005, his last show in the area at that time was 2000. When he did the show in 2005, I thought he was well received and the concert went well but apparently there's more to it that I'm simply not aware of.

jr29

Post by jr29 »

Beebs wrote:
UTHeathen wrote:He was engaging, funny and personable throughout.
I'm under the impression that this is how he is more often than not these day. Unfortunately, a friend saw him in Missoula a few nights earlier and he threw a full blown tantrum like days of old. Top quote of the night was "I've already got your money so fuck all of you."

That was disappointing to read but I'm glad to hear new improved Ryan showed up in SLC. My Missoula buddy raved about Amanda Shires and his 15 year old daughter who was with him is smitten.

Glad you had a great night and nice job with the pics.
I've been burned by Todd Snider 2 of the last 3 times I've seen him live. He is playing a two night stand at the Ryman in Nashville in a couple months but I'm apprehensive about buying tickets, taking off work and making the trip up there knowing that he might get "sick" or bitch and moan his way through the show.

allisonsdc
Site Admin

Post by allisonsdc »

The Julie Ruin tonight
I keep it all together for the sake of the kids.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

I wasn't there, but it looks like Pearl Jam played three encores at Wrigley Field last night :shock:
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

dogstar

Post by dogstar »

Zip City wrote:I wasn't there, but it looks like Pearl Jam played three encores at Wrigley Field last night :shock:
I think WWBill was there so hopefully well get a full report.

I've got

Whitney
Kevin Morby

this week.

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

dogstar wrote:
If I read about any concert, I automatically assume Bill was there.
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

tinnitus photography

Post by tinnitus photography »

Smitty wrote:
dogstar wrote:
:lol:

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Smitty wrote:
dogstar wrote:
He was, and at Wilco last night.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

dogstar

Post by dogstar »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:
Smitty wrote:
dogstar wrote:
He was, and at Wilco last night.
Despite his WW status he is rarely at shows I go to :cry:

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

just scored some nice seats for tedeschi trucks band in september. i've never seen derek trucks played & its in a really nice venue in seattle.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

chuckrh wrote:just scored some nice seats for tedeschi trucks band in september. i've never seen derek trucks played & its in a really nice venue in seattle.
I got paid to see him play once :D
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever