Who's Everyone Seeing Live?

Know of a great band you think we'd like to hear about? Got some music news? Or just want to talk about music in general? Post it here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

dogstar

Re: Who's Everyone Seeing Live?

Post by dogstar »

10-12 July Mostly Jazz Festival
14 July Dann Penn and Spooner Oldham (cheekily arranged a client meeting in London to make this one happen)
23 July Felice Brothers
25 July Birmingham Beer Bash
29 July Otis Gibbs
"Guitars talk. If you really want to write a song, ask a guitar." Neil Young

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

Crossed one off my list of dream shows Wednesday night.

Saw Merle Haggard. Fantastic show. Sat second row. Great from start to finish. Played a more rocking version of Pancho and Lefty. It was so cool getting to see a legend. I'll tell my grandkids about it.
A single shot rifle and a one eyed dog.

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

Cole Younger wrote:Crossed one off my list of dream shows Wednesday night.

Saw Merle Haggard. Fantastic show. Sat second row. Great from start to finish. Played a more rocking version of Pancho and Lefty. It was so cool getting to see a legend. I'll tell my grandkids about it.
I saw him at Stone Mountain years ago.
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

Clams

Post by Clams »

Seeing hayes carll this friday night
Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

Jonicont
Site Admin

Post by Jonicont »

Clams wrote:Seeing hayes carll this friday night
On my way to see him now
Always go to the show

dogstar

Post by dogstar »

Jonicont wrote:
Clams wrote:Seeing hayes carll this friday night
On my way to see him now
Got to wait until September

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Not Lydia Loveless next weekend.

But I get to see Natty Child and Wilco this weekend. Which is nice.

Jonicont
Site Admin

Post by Jonicont »

Great show last night. Solo acoustic. Played a bunch of new stuff but no mention of a new album. Wish I wasn't going to be out of town. He's doing a 3 week residency and I'd definitely go again. Very engaging with plenty of humor--self deprecating and otherwise--between songs. Was in my usual spot at the Mercury Lounge--front and center. Hayes " haven't played this room in 5 or 6 years when I opened for Patterson Hood". Me " umm, that was 2005". "Really". "Yeah, I was standing right here". "You're probably the only guy in this room who was at that show". Try to catch him.

Oh Yeah--those 3 duets with Alison Morer were great
Always go to the show

Bill in CT

Post by Bill in CT »

tonight - Dale Watson
The closer you get to the meaning
The sooner you'll know that you're dreaming

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Not U2 :(
Not the Red Hot Chili Peppers. Oh. Wait. You mean you're not that Flea? :o :(
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Patterson went to the Decemberists show last night.

Boo-ya
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

TW_2.0

Post by TW_2.0 »

Sturgill at Red Rocks this past Saturday.

He was opening for the Avetts, and he blew them away. Place was full for his set, and the crowd loved it.

What a great band he has playing with him.
I can't dance a lick but sometimes I can flat rock and roll

Gaetzi

Post by Gaetzi »

Wilco at Red Rocks tonight.

and sort of off topic- Seeing Phish in Nashville in three weeks, my crew has never been- can you guys offer up a few 'don't miss' spots to eat, drink and generally be merry?
When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro

Bill in CT

Post by Bill in CT »

Gaetzi wrote:and sort of off topic- Seeing Phish in Nashville in three weeks, my crew has never been- can you guys offer up a few 'don't miss' spots to eat, drink and generally be merry?
Prince's Hot Chicken Shack has delicious chicken. :-)
http://www.roadfood.com/Restaurant/Revi ... cken-shack

Grimey's is an excellent record store.

The Country Music Hall of Fame is worth a look.

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

Caught Steve Forbert at Cat's Cradle's Back Room on Sunday. It was originally supposed to be the Steve Forbert Trio but the drummer's Mom had just passed away so it was Steve and guitarist Mark Stuart. Mark's a former member of Steve Earle's Dukes and is also married to Steve's sister Stacey. He's a damn fine guitarist if I do say so myself. I don't know much of Steve's work beyond his first two records (which I only recently picked up) but I'd never seen him in concert. It was a stellar performance, perfect for the intimate confines of the Back Room so I'm glad I went. I do hate I missed Leon Russell in Raleigh on Friday night though. Not passing him up next time. The last time I saw Leon was in the early 00's, which was good but over all lacking in any real passion. From one of the video clips I saw from Friday night's show, it's clear he's got the fire back. That's heartwarming to know as he's always been one of my favorite artists.

dogstar

Post by dogstar »

Been a busy few days.

Last night I saw Dan Penn and Spooner Oldham in London. I loved it. Was really surprised by what a great voice Dan Penn has, especially when he's doing the more gospel numbers.

At the weekend it was Mostly Jazz. Highlights were Public Enemy, who've still got it, Cymande and Soil and Pimp Sessions who are a Japanese Jazz outfit and probably the most entertaining thing all weekend. And then on Sunday there was Gregory Porter. I've seen some great stuff at this festival over the years (Chic, George Clinton, Mavis Staples, Booker T, Snarky Puppy) but this was probably the best act that's ever played there. I've got a few of his records and they don't really do anything for me but live he's a completely different proposition. The guy came on stage and started the first number and my brain is going 'he sounds just like Marvin Gaye' except he's doing jazz. He's connected back to the great soul singers of the late 60's and 70's - he did a fantastic version of Papa was a rolling stone - and he's got lots of politics in his songs. Plus he's got a redhot band. Probably wouldn't appeal to many on the board but this is a guy at the top of his game and just puts on a joyous show.

Duke Silver

Post by Duke Silver »

Sturgill, Hiss Golden Messenger, Phil Cook, Tallest Man on Earth, Sufjan Stevens, Spoon, The National and more at Eaux Claires fest this weekend. Can't wait.
ain't no static on the gospel radio

lajakesdad

Post by lajakesdad »

I saw X and The Blasters on Sunday night at the Observatory in Santa Ana. This has been the sorta home venue for all the shows lately. It's an old venue that I've seen go through 3 name changes. I even sat in on bass with a friend's band back in the 90's there. X was doing a 4 night run playing their first 4 albums. I went on night 4 because I had to see More Fun in the New World in its entirety. It did not disappoint at all, such a magical night. Billy Zoom was diagnosed with an aggressive form of bladder cancer just a couple of weeks ago. He was sitting in a stool but still played flawless. Still had the shit eating grin and stared down people. There was such a positive vibe in the house that night. X played the album and took a little break. They came back out and played another set of tunes. They killed it and the crowd was going nuts. Billy will be taking a break now for treatment so it might be a while. They did have another guitarist and he will be taking over duties while Billy is out.

The huge surprise of the night was The Blasters. I have all of their slash albums. I remember having their album in 8th grade. I have rarely listened to them so I had no expectations going in. Holy shit they blew me away!!!!! They were smokin from start to finish. Dave Alvin is a guitar god and just attacks that gold top Les Paul. Every solo is sick. Phil looks like an old wrinkled skeleton with long boney fingers. But his voice is strong and smooth as ever. Played all of the familiar tunes and had the crowd dancing. I will definitely go see them again and I would do it if they come anywhere near you.

And walking out I ran into Bob Forrest, one of my favorite singer-songwriters. I said hello and grabbed a pic. He was super cool with my geeking out.

whatwouldcooleydo?

Post by whatwouldcooleydo? »

Zip City wrote:Patterson went to the Decemberists show last night.

Boo-ya
I saw Decemberists with Calexico on Tuesday, 'twas excellent, they definitely up their game when on Oregon soil
Son, this ain't a dream no more, it's the real thing

whatwouldcooleydo?

Post by whatwouldcooleydo? »

that's great! I bet there is a big chunk of people who only know Bob Forrest from Celebrity Rehab and Sober House
Son, this ain't a dream no more, it's the real thing

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

We saw Great Peacock last night in Jackson at our favorite venue Duling Hall, a converted school auditorium. They were on fire and actually drew a nice crowd of 50-60 which, considering the Lee Bains and the Glory Fires sometimes draw 2 people here, has to be labeled a success. They were appreciative of it too and it showed. Such a good time. If you get a chance to see them live don't snooze on it. This one of my favorite young bands of the last decade and that's saying something.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

Gator McKlusky

Post by Gator McKlusky »

lajakesdad wrote:I saw X and The Blasters on Sunday night at the Observatory in Santa Ana. This has been the sorta home venue for all the shows lately. It's an old venue that I've seen go through 3 name changes. I even sat in on bass with a friend's band back in the 90's there. X was doing a 4 night run playing their first 4 albums. I went on night 4 because I had to see More Fun in the New World in its entirety. It did not disappoint at all, such a magical night. Billy Zoom was diagnosed with an aggressive form of bladder cancer just a couple of weeks ago. He was sitting in a stool but still played flawless. Still had the shit eating grin and stared down people. There was such a positive vibe in the house that night. X played the album and took a little break. They came back out and played another set of tunes. They killed it and the crowd was going nuts. Billy will be taking a break now for treatment so it might be a while. They did have another guitarist and he will be taking over duties while Billy is out.

The huge surprise of the night was The Blasters. I have all of their slash albums. I remember having their album in 8th grade. I have rarely listened to them so I had no expectations going in. Holy shit they blew me away!!!!! They were smokin from start to finish. Dave Alvin is a guitar god and just attacks that gold top Les Paul. Every solo is sick. Phil looks like an old wrinkled skeleton with long boney fingers. But his voice is strong and smooth as ever. Played all of the familiar tunes and had the crowd dancing. I will definitely go see them again and I would do it if they come anywhere near you.

And walking out I ran into Bob Forrest, one of my favorite singer-songwriters. I said hello and grabbed a pic. He was super cool with my geeking out.

I was at Disneyland staying in Anaheim 5 miles down the road from Santa Ana during this entire run. (Gatorette's lifelong dream trip) I was this close to abandoning my kids at DL and hitting all 4 nights as I love X and the Blasters but I just couldn't do it. It was fucking torture! Wasn't Mike Watt there too? How was he? That was like twisting the knife as I love the Minutemen too.
Looks like a bunch of little whiny fucksticks to me

Jonicont
Site Admin

Post by Jonicont »

Saw the Dave and Phil tour last year and it was great. Don't miss 'em
Always go to the show

Jonicont
Site Admin

Post by Jonicont »

Been down here in Charlotte for a week getting my daughter situated in her new apartment. Looked for some music last night. Went to see Edward David Anderson. Had never heard of him. If you like William Elliot Whitmore, check him out. Guitar, banjo, cigar box guitar, bass drum, foot tambourine, harp. Did a cover of If 6 were 9. Was in a band called Backyard Tire Fire (has the Cowboy seal of approval) which I need to check out

Always go to the show

Bill in CT

Post by Bill in CT »

Jonicont wrote:Been down here in Charlotte for a week getting my daughter situated in her new apartment. Looked for some music last night. Went to see Edward David Anderson. Had never heard of him. If you like William Elliot Whitmore, check him out. Guitar, banjo, cigar box guitar, bass drum, foot tambourine, harp. Did a cover of If 6 were 9. Was in a band called Backyard Tire Fire (has the Cowboy seal of approval) which I need to check out

Backyard Tire Fire is a good band. Saw them once at Cafe Nine in New Haven with uncle rickey, CooleyGirl, and some other of the usual CT suspects.

Bill in CT

Post by Bill in CT »

7/18 Leslie West/Cracker
7/19 Neil Young/Puss n Boots
7/21 Neil Young/Puss n Boots
7/22 Jason Isbell & the 400 Unit

Clams

Post by Clams »

Isbell - 7/24 Brooklyn
Isbell - 7/29 Philly
S. Earle & the Dukes - 8/4 Philly (hopefully)
Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

Duke Silver

Post by Duke Silver »

Duke Silver wrote:Sturgill, Hiss Golden Messenger, Phil Cook, Tallest Man on Earth, Sufjan Stevens, Spoon, The National and more at Eaux Claires fest this weekend. Can't wait.
Post-fest update: If you get a chance to see Hiss Golden Messenger with his current backing band (Phil and Brad Cook, plus members of Bon Iver and Phil Cook's Guitarheels), don't miss it. One of the best shows I've ever seen. The 20-piece brass band on Southern Grammar and Blue Country Mystic didn't hurt, either.
ain't no static on the gospel radio

lajakesdad

Post by lajakesdad »

whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:that's great! I bet there is a big chunk of people who only know Bob Forrest from Celebrity Rehab and Sober House
That is true. A younger musician friend asked me if it was the rehab guy. :roll:
Gator McKlusky wrote:I was at Disneyland staying in Anaheim 5 miles down the road from Santa Ana during this entire run. (Gatorette's lifelong dream trip) I was this close to abandoning my kids at DL and hitting all 4 nights as I love X and the Blasters but I just couldn't do it. It was fucking torture! Wasn't Mike Watt there too? How was he? That was like twisting the knife as I love the Minutemen too.
I actually thought about you while I was posting this Gator because I knew the lineup was right in your wheelhouse. To think you were 5 miles away is nuts. Mike Watt did play but I didn't see him. I heard he was in this side room they have there and was playing when we walked in. I love the Minutemen too so I was bummed because I got there early to see him.

Jonicont
Site Admin

Post by Jonicont »

B J Barham--tonight, The Evening Muse, Charlotte
Always go to the show