Who's Everyone Seeing Live?

Know of a great band you think we'd like to hear about? Got some music news? Or just want to talk about music in general? Post it here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

LuthierJustin

Re: Who's Everyone Seeing Live?

Post by LuthierJustin »

dogstar wrote:
LuthierJustin wrote:
dogstar wrote:Busy month coming up (finally)

Sunday - Phillip Glass/Robert Wilson - Einstein on the Beach
Tuesday - Robert Plant presents Sensational Spaceshifters
Friday - SHAKES (with LoppyHellsBells)

Later in the month

Waterboys
White Denim
Phillip Glass ensemble - DRACULA

How was Philip Glass, I love his work, I remember when I first brought up his work here and I was scoffed at :lol:

It was amazing but I'm still kinda processing the whole thing in my mind. It's about four and a half hours long (with no intermission) and is very abstract/non-narrative. You don't get bored as there is so much going on, even though it repeats and self references itself all the time. The best bits were:

Dance #1 - which was just beautiful. It was just dancers coming on and off the stage in groups and spinning (probably a technical ballet term for it that I don't know)
Trial - again real beauty in the violin part
Bed - the whole thing was just amazing. It's basically 25 minutes of watching a white line go from horizontal to vertical and then ascend into the top of the stage space.

Not really done justice to the experience and some of you will doubtlessly being going WTF but I've only ever seen one other thing like this in my entire life (Robert Wilson's production of Heiner Mullers Hamletmachine) and I've been waiting for 20 odd years for it to come to the UK.

It's coming to the US later in the year (Brooklyn and Berkeley) and I'd unequivocatively recommend going to see it.

This is a really cool sampler from amazo , it may not be available in the U.K., it's free in the US, I tried to turn people here on to it and was scoffed at. Which I find sad.
http://www.amazon.com/Orange-Mountain-Music-Philip-Sampler/dp/B002QZ53OK/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1336403728&sr=1-1
LJ: 3DD's resident hipster

tinnitus photography

Post by tinnitus photography »

man, you are really sensitive to scoffing.

LuthierJustin

Post by LuthierJustin »

tinnitus photography wrote:man, you are really sensitive to scoffing.

No, I just think people are very closed minded when it comes to music.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Phillip Glass is amazing. Who "scoffed" at you?
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

tinnitus photography

because they don't like boring shit like Philip Glass?

or just because their tastes don't match yours?

let's have this argument for the 364th time.

LuthierJustin

Post by LuthierJustin »

Just because they're closed minded

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

Went to a rally against Amendment One in Durham yesterday headlined by Amy Ray and the Butchies that also included sets by Kooley High and Mount Moriah.

**Edited to add

A friend of mine shot some video at the rally yesterday which I've posted below. The first clip, which features Amy Ray's drummer, Melissa York, speaking at the beginning of it is particularly moving. I sincerely hope this amendment doesn't pass. If it does, people will continue to have this misperception of North Carolina as a backwards, fucked up State (which it actually isn't).

Last edited by Kudzu Guillotine on Mon May 07, 2012 1:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.

LuthierJustin

Post by LuthierJustin »

Rush on November 1st

tinnitus photography

LuthierJustin wrote:Just because they're closed minded

:lol:

dogstar

Post by dogstar »

dogstar wrote:
LuthierJustin wrote:
dogstar wrote:Busy month coming up (finally)

Sunday - Phillip Glass/Robert Wilson - Einstein on the Beach
Tuesday - Robert Plant presents Sensational Spaceshifters
Friday - SHAKES (with LoppyHellsBells)

Later in the month

Waterboys
White Denim
Phillip Glass ensemble - DRACULA

How was Philip Glass, I love his work, I remember when I first brought up his work here and I was scoffed at :lol:

It was amazing but I'm still kinda processing the whole thing in my mind. It's about four and a half hours long (with no intermission) and is very abstract/non-narrative. You don't get bored as there is so much going on, even though it repeats and self references itself all the time. The best bits were:

Dance #1 - which was just beautiful. It was just dancers coming on and off the stage in groups and spinning (probably a technical ballet term for it that I don't know)
Trial - again real beauty in the violin part
Bed - the whole thing was just amazing. It's basically 25 minutes of watching a white line go from horizontal to vertical and then ascend into the top of the stage space.

Not really done justice to the experience and some of you will doubtlessly being going WTF but I've only ever seen one other thing like this in my entire life (Robert Wilson's production of Heiner Mullers Hamletmachine) and I've been waiting for 20 odd years for it to come to the UK.

It's coming to the US later in the year (Brooklyn and Berkeley) and I'd unequivocatively recommend going to see it.

I found a video clip that gives a better idea of what goes on in Einstein on the Beach

"Guitars talk. If you really want to write a song, ask a guitar." Neil Young

dogstar

Post by dogstar »

Robert Plant last night in a 300 capacity venue in Gloucester, England. Basically the same band as for the Strange Sensations tour plus Patti Griffin and a great musician from Africa, whose name I didn't catch, who played a funny one-stringed violin type intsrument. Great show that was basically a mix of cover versions of old blues songs and songs from his back catalogue plus two fantastic songs by Patti Griffin. They did a mashup of Who do you love with Whole Lotta Love which was pretty sensational and then Plant sang a version of Song for the Siren in the encore which was the highlight of the night for me.

Next up SHAKES on Friday

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Sounds fantastic, dogstar!
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

tinnitus photography

damn dogstar, first Sabbath now Plant in basically a living room show? what's next?

Bill in CT

Post by Bill in CT »

5/09 Dead Confederate
5/10 Mark Lanegan Band
5/12 Overkill
The closer you get to the meaning
The sooner you'll know that you're dreaming

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

I'll be up in Minneapolis next week for work and I see Joe Pug is playing 7th Street Entry Thursday night. I've heard him some but, despite his Chicago roots, have never seen him. Anyone familiar? Should I go?
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

Kudzu Guillotine

Tequila Cowboy wrote:I'll be up in Minneapolis next week for work and I see Joe Pug is playing 7th Street Entry Thursday night. I've heard him some but, despite his Chicago roots, have never seen him. Anyone familiar? Should I go?

I saw him open for Steve Earle at the ArtsCenter in Carrboro a couple of years ago and really enjoyed his set. I know it's a common comparison to make but he has a bit of a Dylan thing going on with his vocal delivery but not in a derivative way, it seems to just come natural.

Here's a video from the HearYa sessions he did last year just to give you a sampling of what he sounds like. There's more clips here.

dogstar

Post by dogstar »

tinnitus photography wrote:damn dogstar, first Sabbath now Plant in basically a living room show? what's next?

beantownbubba wrote:Sounds fantastic, dogstar!

All down hill from now Tinnitus - I've only got the Alabama Shakes, White Denim and The Waterboys left this month :D . To be honest the Plant show was mainly for my good lady as she's a massive fan (I gave up a ticket for the Band of Joy shows last year so she could go). The Black Sabbath show is definitely one for me. Just got lucky getting the tickets for the Plant show plus this often happens over here where the bands do small, hometown'ish shows before they go out on the festival circuit.

It's funny because I often get jealous of the shows you guys get to see in the US. For instance we only get Neil Young about every 3rd/4th tour. Plus I'd love to see Lucinda Williams and the DBT's this summer and a Cooley solo show and a Patterson solo show and ...

LBRod

Post by LBRod »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:I'll be up in Minneapolis next week for work and I see Joe Pug is playing 7th Street Entry Thursday night. I've heard him some but, despite his Chicago roots, have never seen him. Anyone familiar? Should I go?

I saw him open for JTE a while back and enjoyed his set.

Tonight I'm off to Felton to see Carrie Rodriguez.
Don't hurt people, and don't take their stuff.

211poundsofpork

Post by 211poundsofpork »

In this ever-confusing music world of overlapping band names, I have to ask: Is this the 25-years or so speed-metal band from NYC, Overkill? I can't believe they are still going at it. Yet, they keep churning out albums and keep playing the live shows and somehow Blitz can still hit the higher registers at his age. Definitely one of my favorite metal bands back in the day. Classic album: Horrorscope. :geek:

Bill in CT wrote:5/09 Dead Confederate
5/10 Mark Lanegan Band
5/12 Overkill

one belt loop

Post by one belt loop »

LBRod wrote:

I saw him open for JTE a while back and enjoyed his set.

Same here, enjoyed him also (I think it was even the same show, at least on night 1), though I didn't have much interest in his studio material.
Matt playing like an evil motherfucker w/ rhythm with a capital MPLAEMWR.

- bubba

Bill in CT

Post by Bill in CT »

211poundsofpork wrote:In this ever-confusing music world of overlapping band names, I have to ask: Is this the 25-years or so speed-metal band from NYC, Overkill? I can't believe they are still going at it. Yet, they keep churning out albums and keep playing the live shows and somehow Blitz can still hit the higher registers at his age. Definitely one of my favorite metal bands back in the day. Classic album: Horrorscope. :geek:

5/10 Mark Lanegan Band
5/12 Overkill

Yes it is! Though they are actually from New Jersey and not NYC. I agree with you about Horrorscope. That's the tour when I first saw them. I saw them again on the I Hear Black tour and never again until this Saturday. Looking forward to seeing them again after all these years.
The closer you get to the meaning
The sooner you'll know that you're dreaming

Tyler
Site Admin

Post by Tyler »

Ghost/Mastodon/Opeth in Myrtle Beach tomorrow night

Zappa Plays Zappa in Raleigh in a couple months.

211poundsofpork

Post by 211poundsofpork »

Bill in CT wrote:
211poundsofpork wrote:In this ever-confusing music world of overlapping band names, I have to ask: Is this the 25-years or so speed-metal band from NYC, Overkill? I can't believe they are still going at it. Yet, they keep churning out albums and keep playing the live shows and somehow Blitz can still hit the higher registers at his age. Definitely one of my favorite metal bands back in the day. Classic album: Horrorscope. :geek:

5/10 Mark Lanegan Band
5/12 Overkill

Yes it is! Though they are actually from New Jersey and not NYC. I agree with you about Horrorscope. That's the tour when I first saw them. I saw them again on the I Hear Black tour and never again until this Saturday. Looking forward to seeing them again after all these years.

Niiiiice. The only time I saw them was for the I Hear Black tour at the Trocadero in Philly I believe. I think that was '93, which makes the long sleeve tee shirt I bought at the show 19 years old - :ugeek: My metal years are long past me, but Overkill is practically the only one of those bands that I still listen to every now and then. D.D. Verni - have always loved that thumpin' bass. (Think "Hello from the Gutter" or "Horrorscope".) I highly recommend their concert dvd, Wrecking Everything Live
which they put out several years ago. Have fun at the show Saturday!

Kudzu Guillotine

Gourds tonight at the Cat's Cradle in Carrboro with Luther Dickinson opening. Also on the bill is The Wandering which includes Luther, Amy LaVere, Shannon McNally, Valerie June and Sharde Thomas.

tinnitus photography

just back from the Decibel "There Will Be Blood" tour...Behemoth, Watain, The Devil's Blood, In Solitude.

my clothes stink of rotting flesh and blood.

shuffle

Post by shuffle »

i saw jason isbell and ryan adams last night. it was brilliant. third time seeing ryan and first seeing jason. wrote a bit about jason's set here: http://birdsneedfeet.blogspot.com/2012/ ... front.html it's a bit messy, sorry about that.
http://twitter.com/birdsneedfeet
http://www.birdsneedfeet.com/

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Hey shuffle, good to see ya. Will read your report on jason soon.

Tonite: Marshall Crenshaw and the Bottle Rockets!!

Did anyone go to either the Fall River or Northampton shows this week?

tinnitus photography

there's definitely a lot of cartoon/halloween shit around these sorts of bands, but it's a hell of a good time taking photos of them.

Behemoth:

Watain:

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

beantownbubba wrote:Hey shuffle, good to see ya. Will read your report on jason soon.

Tonite: Marshall Crenshaw and the Bottle Rockets!!

Did anyone go to either the Fall River or Northampton shows this week?

Very good, very enjoyable show. Had nice brief convos w/ Brian Henneman and Marshall Crenshaw and both happily signed everything i shoved in front of them (including my newly purchased BRox live from Heilbronn Germany double album). Deets tomw, but for now, this for 4sooner:

Me: I have a msg from the guy who turned me on to you guys in the first place. He's from Oklahoma and he misses you.

Brian H: <Laughs> We haven't been there in quite a while. We've been through there a lot but we haven't stopped in a long time.

Me: Well, he knows that and he says it's about damned time you came back.

Brian H: Ummmm...I dunno...

Me: You know you'll have at least one fan there.

Brian H: Yeah, but that's probably all we'd have.

Bottom line: Don't hold your breath, 4sooner. Sorry to have failed so badly.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

So, like i was sayin', really good show last nite.

Kind of a weird environment - a small sit down theater in a converted firehouse. Place was full but very sedate. It was so quiet between songs that at one point Crenshaw commented that he'd been in noisier libraries, or words to that effect. OTOH, u could really tell when a song caught the crowd's attention by the energy and noise of the reaction.

BRox opened w/ a smoking set. Most of the crowd was unfamiliar w/ them and I think they made some new fans. Henneman was a little more reserved than he usually is as the headliner but was still charismatic and funny. Not as much guitar dueling as i remember from previous shows but there were still some fireworks by both guitarists. Good set list of mostly familiar material including their "virtual greatest hits", i.e. these shoulda woulda coulda been hits in 1973. I was probably looking forward to this part of the show more than the headliner so it might not be fair to say it was the best part of the show, but the Bottle Rockets were really excellent and if you want to go to this show just to see them I don't think you'll feel shortchanged even though they don't play for as long as they do when they're headlining.

Crenshaw was kinda weird. Clearly comfortable as the frontman yet still giving off a vaguely uncomfortable vibe. He seemed to think he should be doing the VH1 Songwriter kind of thing - talking about the background of the songs before playing them, but then he wouldn't say much at all. My wife and i both thought that he was very uncomfortable knowing that people were there for the old hits while he apparently sees himself as a still "current" artist. It came thru in a lot of ways, especially his less than enthusiastic references to reaching deep into the "oldies bag" for a number of, duh, older songs. But the performances themselves were fine.

The biggest disappointment was that w/ some exceptions there was no synergy, no 1+1 = more than 2 between Crenshaw and the BRox. For the most part they could have been any competent, professional backing band. Exceptions were "MaryAnn", "Valerie" and the last few songs, say the last 2 songs of the main set and the 2 song encore. The finale was Crenshaw covering the BRox's "Kit Kat Clock" which was kind of neat. I also thought the BRox's drummer was better behind Crenshaw than he was in the first set. Crenshaw made a couple of comments that made me think he might have thought the same thing.

I'm not sure, but there may have been a spontaneous encore, i.e. not necessarily planned and actually earned/demanded by the crowd.

Not an all time great show but well worth the time and money if the tour comes to your town. Plus i love the opportunity one has in these smaller venues to say hello to the musicians even if the convo is not exactly scintillating or world changing.