Who's Everyone Seeing Live?

Know of a great band you think we'd like to hear about? Got some music news? Or just want to talk about music in general? Post it here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Flea

Re: Who's Everyone Seeing Live?

Post by Flea »

Flea wrote:Flaming Lips one week from tonight.

It is just damned impossible to be in a shitty mood when you're stoned to the bejesus and covered in confetti.
Now it's dark.

dogstar

Post by dogstar »

Flea wrote:
Flea wrote:Flaming Lips one week from tonight.

It is just damned impossible to be in a shitty mood when you're stoned to the bejesus and covered in confetti.

Mr Flea I like your style.

Wilco last night in Bristol. Made the mistake of camping on the rail infront of Nels Cline who was bloody loud. Anyway first time I've seen them and enjoyed it although not one of the best gigis I've seen. Jonathan Wilson was the support act and he bored the pants off me.
"Guitars talk. If you really want to write a song, ask a guitar." Neil Young

Penny Lane

Post by Penny Lane »

Was first in line this morning for my Yo La Tengo Hannukuh tickets!

Tonight: North Miss Allstars at Brooklyn Bowl
In my blood, there's gasoline..

uncle rickey

Post by uncle rickey »

Hayes Carll tonight.

BigTom
Site Admin

Post by BigTom »

Willie Nelson, Thursday night, 9:30 Club.
Tumble down shack in Bigfoot County

BigTom
Site Admin

Post by BigTom »

uncle rickey wrote:Hayes Carll tonight.

I may catch him on Monday night at the Birchmere.
Tumble down shack in Bigfoot County

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

Hayes is here next week with Caitlin Rose opening the show but there's so many other shows that week (the Glands, Megafaun, Tinariwen, the Pixies, the Small Ponds, Mandolin Orange, Chris Thile, DBTs, Don Dixon/Marti Jones w/ Chris Stamey) that I'm going to have to do some serious picking and choosing. It also doesn't help that that Glands concert is on the same night as Hayes.

mwh

Post by mwh »

I'm going to see Alpha Rev, Nic Cowan, and Daniel Ellsworth & the Great Lakes tonight at the Exit/In in Nashville. I have no idea who any of them are.

sactochris

Post by sactochris »

I have tickets for Wilco, In Davis, on the 1st of February. I haven't seen them in nine years.
Keep calm and have a cigar

Lefty

Post by Lefty »

Caught Belle Brigade>Dawes>Blitzen Trapper at the Beachland Ballroom in Cleveland last night.

Solid performances by all three. Really impressed with what Belle brigade brought. Great rock and roll + brother/sister harmonies and nice energetic set.

Dawes seemed to turn this one in hungover or shitfaced or otherwise half assed, although perhaps they layed back a bit in their alternating headlining roles with Blitzen Trapper. A nice surprise from Dawes was an inspired Kodachrome cover sung by the constant fuckface making drummer dude. Seriously-check dude out on youtube !

BT brought it from the start. Anticlimactic "Good Times Bad Times" cover was my only criticism.

Sound was excellent all night. Beachland was packed for a Tuesday night .

Still kinda felt like a Tuesday night jobber show in Cleveland.

Kept it together and didn't have to sleep in the back of my truck in the hood.

Took some video. Will see how it turned out. Video taper present for all three performances. Outa there by 11:45 pm. Really ???? For a coheadlining show ? Hollywood meet Cleveland, Cleveland, Hollywood.... my drunken review

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

I thought Dawes wasn't great when I saw them either. Okay, but nothing special. It's a shame, since I love their album so much
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

Lefty

Post by Lefty »

Zip City wrote:I thought Dawes wasn't great when I saw them either. Okay, but nothing special. It's a shame, since I love their album so much

I think the singer/songwriter thing may bring on my potentially undue criticism. I was ripe for the album, "Nothing Is Wrong " situationally. Perhaps I longed for the soul in performance that was present in the writing. I also heard several others comment on this performance versus earlier performances in terms of "hunger". This was my first time seeing Dawes, but I can relate those comments to my dozen show history with the Avett Brothers. Perhaps that's what makes DBT's ethic stand out on a nightly basis. No "we finally made it" attitude of just turning in a sleeper.

All props to Dawes for nailing every note and being right on time-just not any more convincing than the album. And I tend to look for a bit more live, especially knowing that they are capable of bringing it jamwise from the live that I've seen and heard second hand...

Clams

Post by Clams »

BigTom wrote:

x3
tomorrow night at the brand new World Cafe in Wilmington, DE
If you don't run you rust

dogstar

Post by dogstar »

MMJ last night with SOTD and Mr SOTD. Much better than the concert in London in the summer as a reasonably small venue. The main set was curtailed by the monitor system on the side of the stage catching fire (that's what Jim said anyway). Anyway Jim came back on and played two acoustic numbers as an encore, at one point stepping away from his microphone to sing. They finished 20 minutes early so we missed out on Mahgeetah, One Big Holiday, Black Metal and something else I can't remember. The acoustic bit kind of made up for it though.

Clams wrote:
BigTom wrote:

x3
tomorrow night at the brand new World Cafe in Wilmington, DE

Clams make sure you catch the support act, she's great.

uncle rickey

Post by uncle rickey »

dogstar wrote:Clams make sure you catch the support act, she's great.

Yeah Caitlin Rose was pretty good the other night, though at times she didn't seem all that into it. She referenced having a rough night the night before, I guess we've all been there. :)

dogstar

Post by dogstar »

uncle rickey wrote:
dogstar wrote:Clams make sure you catch the support act, she's great.

Yeah Caitlin Rose was pretty good the other night, though at times she didn't seem all that into it. She referenced having a rough night the night before, I guess we've all been there. :)

She seems to have rough nights on a regular basis. When I saw her with Deer Tick she was drinking (Deer)Tequila like it was water.

Penny Lane

Post by Penny Lane »

Zip City wrote:I thought Dawes wasn't great when I saw them either. Okay, but nothing special. It's a shame, since I love their album so much

wow, we agree completely.....scary..
my friends at the Boston show saw them the night after i saw them in NYC, and they were texing me "Dawes blew me away" ..i was thinking...HOW?
Beautiful albums...Loooove their albums but the songs sound the same live.

tinnitus photography

Post by tinnitus photography »

i probably should go see Ian Hunter tonight, but it is not in my plans.

sactochris

Post by sactochris »

tinnitus photography wrote:i probably should go see Ian Hunter tonight, but it is not in my plans.

You should really go see Ian Hunter tonight!
Keep calm and have a cigar

Kudzu Guillotine

Saw Chris Knight with guitarist Chris Clark accompanying him at the Berkeley Café in Raleigh last night. While I really enjoyed the concert and he played a few songs from a yet untitled record he hopes to have out sometime in 2012, the overall rudeness of the audience was a major distraction. I ran into a friend there that said he hoped it wouldn't be a "singalong" crowd. It was but that didn't really bother me all that much. If they had been singing so loud as to drown out Chris Knight, that would have been a problem but that wasn't the case. What bothered me was the incessant chitter chatter. Exchanging a few words with your friends between songs is fine and doesn't bother me at all but to loudly carry on a conversation while someone is performing onstage is entirely another, especially when that person is performing acoustically (as Chris was last night). When he did a new or less familiar song, that only upped the chatter quotient because they had nothing to singalong to.

UTHeathen

Post by UTHeathen »

Saw Rich Robinson last Saturday night at the State Room with Dylan LeBlanc. Dylan LeBlanc was a little different than I expected, very quiet and emotional but I dug it. Rich Robinson kicked ass. We went kind of spur the moment and I'm really glad we did. Not a huge Black Crowes fan, but his new solo stuff is pretty divergent. If you're on the west coast, check him out, you won't be disappointed.

Looking forward to Lukas Nelson and Rachel Yamagata in the near future.

Right now we're tentatively planning on Jason Isbell on thursday, January 12, heading to the airport after the show and flying in to Atlanta, then driving to Athens for the friday and saturday shows at the 40 Watt.
Last edited by UTHeathen on Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

oilpiers

Post by oilpiers »

My Morning Jacket Dec.1. Jayhawks (return to LA) Feb. 2. Decided not to spend for Wilco In Santa Barbara, though that will be a good one. That will be 7 shows for me in 18 months, after not going to any for about 6 years.

LuthierJustin

Post by LuthierJustin »

Jucifer on December 2nd :twisted:
LJ: 3DD's resident hipster

Kudzu Guillotine

The Glands are here tomorrow night with North Elementary opening for them at King's in Raleigh. I'm hoping to make that one. Even though I know next to nothing about their music I've been hearing nothing but high praise about them since the early days of the DBTs list on Yahoo Groups. Thursday, it's looking like Megafaun at the Brooklyn Arts Center in Wilmington courtesy of my niece. She had purchased a ticket for me for my birthday to see Gillian Welch at WinocaFest in Wilmington back in August for my birthday but Hurricane Irene changed all of that. The show couldn't be rescheduled so she's making up for it by buying me a ticket for Megafaun.

UncleFrank23

Post by UncleFrank23 »

The Avett's on 11/17.
Somewhere between anguish and acceptance.

dogstar

Post by dogstar »

Bon Iver last night. One word to describe it DULL. So bored that I left after an hour. Think the thing that sealed it was when they played one of the songs it sounded like Coldplay. Ugh. Kathleen Edwards was the support act though and she was pretty good, although she did forget the words to one of her songs.

Anyway Gillian Welch on Sunday which should put things back on an even keel.

Penny Lane

Post by Penny Lane »

Exciting times!

11/14 Noel Gallagher (2nd row/The Beacon!)
11/17 DBT Boston
11/18 Deer Tick/Felice Brothers Boston
11/19 DBT Philly
12/8 Alabama Shakes NYC
12/10 Devil Makes three Portland
12/14 My Morning Jacket MSG
12/20 Yo La Tengo Hannukuh Show
12/21 Yo La Tengo Hannukuh Show
12/27 Yo La Tengo Hannukuh Show
12/29-31 DBT
Last edited by Penny Lane on Thu Nov 10, 2011 5:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

You may want to check some of those dates, Penny. Or maybe you're giving new meaning to the term "solo show," referring to the audience instead of the performer. I hope your bus tickets are refundable or at least exchangeable. :o ;)
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

Kudzu Guillotine

Had to pass on seeing The Glands on Tuesday, same for Megafaun in Wilmington tonight but I will be seeing Megafaun (with Bowerbirds) at the Haw River Ballroom in Saxapahaw, NC tomorrow night. Looking forward to it as it'll be my first time at that venue. I also have a friend coming that will be seeing Megafaun for the first time.

Penny Lane

Post by Penny Lane »

beantownbubba wrote:You may want to check some of those dates, Penny. Or maybe you're giving new meaning to the term "solo show," referring to the audience instead of the performer. I hope your bus tickets are refundable or at least exchangeable. :o ;)

Fixed! Thank you. BTW, today I'm listening to all the Johnny Cash you gave me.