Who's Everyone Seeing Live?

Know of a great band you think we'd like to hear about? Got some music news? Or just want to talk about music in general? Post it here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Gang Green

Re: Who's Everyone Seeing Live?

Post by Gang Green »

Kudzu Guillotine wrote:I may break down and go see North Mississippi All-Stars at the Lincoln in Raleigh tonight. Alabama Shakes are doing the opening honors, probably be nice to see them firsthand so I can see what all the fuss about. They're opening for the DBTs in Winston-Salem next month but chances are, I won't make that show.

Kudzu, you seem to know everything there is to know about music and you always have an interesting perspective, so I would be interested in your opinion. If you had to choose one night out of the three NYE shows at the 930 club in Washington, which one would you choose? And, you could only choose one.

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

Gang Green wrote:
Kudzu Guillotine wrote:I may break down and go see North Mississippi All-Stars at the Lincoln in Raleigh tonight. Alabama Shakes are doing the opening honors, probably be nice to see them firsthand so I can see what all the fuss about. They're opening for the DBTs in Winston-Salem next month but chances are, I won't make that show.

Kudzu, you seem to know everything there is to know about music and you always have an interesting perspective, so I would be interested in your opinion. If you had to choose one night out of the three NYE shows at the 930 club in Washington, which one would you choose? And, you could only choose one.

Thanks. I'm flattered that you would ask. If these great shows don't stop coming to the area, I may have to start parting with some body organs just to keep up. Having drank the Alabama Shakes Kool-Aid tonight, I must say the show on the 31st with them and Booker T. opening. That's said with all due respect to Lucero and J. Roddy Walston & the Business, both of whom also put on kick ass shows (at least from what I've seen). Truth is, I think you'd be hard pressed to go wrong with any of the three nights but the 31st would be the one pulling the strongest on me. I won't be able to attend so I may have to make good on that DBTs show with the Alabama Shakes in Winston next month while the getting's still good.

sactochris

Post by sactochris »

I'm seeing Micah Schnabel from Two Cow Garage this friday and saturday.
Keep calm and have a cigar

one belt loop

Post by one belt loop »

Ryan Adams and Jason tomorrow night.

Not sure what I'm doing about Micah Schnabel, Chris. Maybe I'll come up for the Saturday night show.

Also, I just bought tickets and made travel arrangements for the two Lucero shows in Nashville on November 18 and 19 (Glossary opens one night, and Austin Lucas opens the other, with Glossary as his backing band). Anybody else doing these shows? I sort of took a flyer on them and now realize I will know only 1.5 people there and it would be nice to have someone to hang out with. Let me know.

Lydia Loveless in a couple weeks at the Hotel Utah. Cory Branan in Sacramento on November 8 (I think). It's all mostly a matter of "can I get it together to do all these?"
Matt playing like an evil motherfucker w/ rhythm with a capital MPLAEMWR.

- bubba

ChicoHarris

Post by ChicoHarris »

one belt loop wrote:Lydia Loveless in a couple weeks at the Hotel Utah.

I'm glad the Hotel Utah is still kicking. I used to live at 1052 Jackson over 20 years ago and that was a favorite place.

ChicoHarris

Post by ChicoHarris »

Tonight on campus at Ole Miss:
The Lafayette-Oxford-University Orchestra with opera star Kallen Esperien:
http://events.olemiss.edu/events/index. ... &eID=33817
It is not known -by me, anyway- if Ms. Esperian will reprise her "I Love Beer" performance with the Kudzu Kings.

Esperian performs with Pavarotti:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zgSBgu3QtV4

sactochris

Post by sactochris »

ChicoHarris wrote:

I'm glad the Hotel Utah is still kicking. I used to live at 1052 Jackson over 20 years ago and that was a favorite place.

Micah is playing this Thurday at Hotel Utah. It's a great place.
Keep calm and have a cigar

one belt loop

Post by one belt loop »

sactochris wrote:
ChicoHarris wrote:

Micah is playing this Thurday at Hotel Utah. It's a great place.

I think I can only manage one school-night show this week. But Saturday is sounding good.
Matt playing like an evil motherfucker w/ rhythm with a capital MPLAEMWR.

- bubba

Lefty

Post by Lefty »

Saw Gillian Welch and David Rawlings at the Kent Stage last night. Capacity 642, the place was packed. It is an acoustically supreme venue converted from an old theater in the heart of Kent Ohio.

Holy crap.

Top notch show. 2 sets that included possibly all of the new album, several crowd favorites(only one missing for me was "Tear My Stillhouse Down"), and a "White Rabbit" final encore.

Was blown away by Rawlings' technical wizardry in the realm of fingerpicking. Also equally impressed with the subtlety of their harmonies-spot the fuck on not only in pitch but also volume and "attack and release". They are truly meant to perform together.

Was initially a little hesitant about the 34 dollar ticket, but couldn't deny the sonic potential of the perfect match of venue/artist. Left feeling like I owed them money !

Very good show.

Next up-Dawes/Blitzen Trapper coheadlining the Beachland Ballroom in two weeks on a Tuesday. An hour away and planning on sleeping in the back of my truck on a sidestreet. Will report back after that one...

tinnitus photography

Post by tinnitus photography »

just back from Dum Dum Girls and Crocodiles.

gonna see The Damned tmrw night.

harleywood

Post by harleywood »

Waiting on

Steve Earle x 2
Gillian Welch
Primal Scream
The Waterboys
Jayhawks

Penny Lane

Post by Penny Lane »

Portugal the Man/Alberta Cross tonight Terminal 5
Next Wed: Blitzen Trapper/Dawes Webster Hall
Next Fri: North Miss Allstars at Brooklyn Bowl
In my blood, there's gasoline..

tinnitus photography

The Damned tonight!

Flea

Post by Flea »

Flaming Lips one week from tonight.
Now it's dark.

Kudzu Guillotine

Last night it was Terry Anderson and the Olympic Ass Kickin' Team with special guest Erica Blinn at Deep South in Raleigh. The Olympic Ass Kickin' Team is playing every Wednesday in October in celebration of the release of their new album, More Smooth Jazz and Sweet Sweet Jams which came out on Tuesday. Erica just released her debut EP (on which she's backed by the OAK Team on a couple of tracks where she's covers two of their tunes) so it was sort of dual CD release party.

Tonight it was Lynn Blakey and her husband Ecki Heins opening for Dave Wilson at the Cave in Chapel Hill. Lynn has been in a number of bands over the years including Oh OK, Glory Fountain and Tres Chicas. She's currently touring in support of her excellent debut, an EP called Meadowview. Dave is the frontman for Chatham County Line.

dogstar

Post by dogstar »

Been a bit quiet lately on the live music front but just about to kick off again

26 October - Wilco
31 October - Steve Earle
3 November - MMJ
13 November - Gillian Welch

Plus possibly if my 16 year old daughter will allow it (she's going along and it's much too embarassing for me to be there too) Bon Iver w/Kathleen Edwards on 9 November
"Guitars talk. If you really want to write a song, ask a guitar." Neil Young

tinnitus photography

i saw the Damned last night...awesome! The Captain still has it. Vanian sounded great and the band smoked.

Gator McKlusky

Post by Gator McKlusky »

DBT 11/12 Unfortunately Glossary and Austin Lucas are also playing that night on the other side of town. :( That is some really bad scheduling because I imagine DBT will pull a lot of people away from the Glossary show.
Looks like a bunch of little whiny fucksticks to me

Kudzu Guillotine

Thinking about biting the bullet on a ticket to see Mount Moriah with Alexi Murdoch at Reynolds Industries Theatre at Duke University tonight. It's being billed as Mount Moriah's last full band performance of the year and tix are going fast.

lajakesdad

Post by lajakesdad »

Social Distortion and The Avett Brothers tonight in Irvine, CA

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

lajakesdad wrote:Social Distortion and The Avett Brothers tonight in Irvine, CA

Together? Weird
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

Kudzu Guillotine

Went to see Mount Moriah and Alexi Murdoch at Reynolds Theatre at Duke Saturday night. Mount Moriah was in fine form and was in the perfect setting to have their songs heard by a very attentive crowd. It was "church" quiet and the audience was very receptive to their music (which included all of their debut record plus one new tune). In fact, I think I'd be safe in saying they made some new fans Saturday night, especially after seeing the line at the merch table during intermission. I stayed for all but the last song of Alexi Murdoch. I enjoyed his set but it was so subdued at times that I nearly nodded off. There's a review here and photos here.

Sunday afternoon I caught a brief solo acoustic set from Chip Robinson on the patio at Sadlack's before heading over to the Lincoln Theatre for Mother's Finest and Soul Psychedelic. The Mother's Finest show was very impromptu as I hadn't planned on going but a friend came through with a free ticket at the last minute. I've been wanting to see them again for years but for whatever reason, it's never quite worked out. Sunday night was the first time I'd seen them since at least the mid to late 80s when they played Roadies in Goldsboro on a "reunion" tour. Back then they were known for putting on a show that pulled out all of the stops. I have no problem saying their concerts were some of the best if not the very best I've ever seen. "Baby" Jean Kennedy just has that knack for wrapping a crowd around her little finger and Sunday night's concert at the Lincoln was no exception. Their volatile mixture of funk and hard rock was also none the worse for wear and was in full effect throughout the evening. They even broke out the first song I ever heard from them on 8-track back in the 70s, "Niggaz Can't Sing Rock n' Roll", from their debut record. They only sang the first line from the song the way it appears on the album, when the same line rolled around again they bowed to political correctness and altered the lyrics. There's was lots of new stuff as well as all of the classics mixed in such as "Truth'll Set You Free", "Mickey's Monkey", "Baby Love" and Piece of the Rock". They closed with a barnstorming ten minute version of "Train Kept A' Rollin'" that blew the roof off of the dump. Glad to see such a seminal band (they were light years ahead of everyone when it came to mixing funk and rock) still in fine form after all of these years and still sounding just as vital as ever. I am very glad I went. It was like catching up with old friends you haven't seen since high school especially since their records were a large part of my personal soundtrack back then.

lajakesdad

Post by lajakesdad »

Zip City wrote:
lajakesdad wrote:Social Distortion and The Avett Brothers tonight in Irvine, CA

Together? Weird

Yeah it was a weird bill. Face to Face also played and some other punk band. We all went to see the Avett Bros but I'd say 90% or more didn't know who they were. We even got asked to sit down while they were playing and my wife told them no way. I had no desire to see Social D because I have seen them so many times in the past. It was a hometown show for them and they bring out a lame crowd. All greaser punk rockers who look like they are going to a costume party. They were pretty good but we left before the encore.

Avett Bros played a 45 minute set with no encore. They were great as usual.

Shame
Tin Man
Go To Sleep
Down with the Shine
January Wedding
I Killed Sally's Lover
Closer Walk With Thee (gospel cover)
Fall Down
HFOD/RFOP
Will You Return?
I And Love And You

vacant

Post by vacant »

November is looking like:

Meat Puppets
Drive-By Truckers
Chris Robinson Brotherhood
Chris Cornell
Judas Priest

LBRod

Post by LBRod »

Felice Brothers tomorrow
Lydia Loveless next week
Don't hurt people, and don't take their stuff.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

vacant wrote:Meat Puppets

Didn't realize the brothers Kirkwood were touring. One of my all time favorites and put on of my favorite shows of 2009. Playing 11/11 in Chicago, hmmm...
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

WoodDuck

Post by WoodDuck »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:
vacant wrote:Meat Puppets

Didn't realize the brothers Kirkwood were touring. One of my all time favorites and put on of my favorite shows of 2009. Playing 11/11 in Chicago, hmmm...

They had a great show last month @ the Melting Point in Athens that I missed because of work.

Luckily, Sloan got it down. Check it out if you want a taste:

http://southernshelter.com/2011/09/out- ... int-92511/

Kudzu Guillotine

Couldn't resist and went to see James McMurtry and Isbell at the Lincoln in Raleigh last night. It'd been far too long since I'd last seen McMurtry (ACL Fest 2002), which, believe or not, is the only time I've ever seen him live so I was long overdue. Real nice seeing "Cornbread" (playing bass) with him tonight. During that visit to Austin and a previous one to SXSW in 2001, Cornbread was all over the place, playing with everyone from Billy Joe Shaver to Beaver Nelson. Even though it seems like I'd just seen Isbell, it was back in the winter before Here We Rest came out so I think he was only doing maybe one or two songs from it at the time. Obviously he's worked more songs from it into the set since then so tonight's offerings were a bit different such as the cover of "Hey Pocky Way" with Chad singing. The final encore was "The One I Love". Even though I'd read about that here, I'd kinda forgotten about it so it was real pleasant surprise to hear him and the 400 Unit close out the night with it. If I'd been quick enough, I would have filmed it. Otherwise, I hope it'll show up on the YouTubes eventually.
Last edited by Kudzu Guillotine on Thu Oct 27, 2011 7:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

WoodDuck

Post by WoodDuck »

Band of Horses tomorrow night at 40 Watt.

McMurtry/Isbell Friday night at Georgia Theatre.

Penny Lane

Post by Penny Lane »

WoodDuck wrote:Band of Horses tomorrow night at 40 Watt.

McMurtry/Isbell Friday night at Georgia Theatre.

Great end to a week..

Blitzen Trapper/Dawes last night, BT were incredible, Dawes are a bit boring for me but still good....
In my blood, there's gasoline..