Dexateens -lots of info here

Know of a great band you think we'd like to hear about? Got some music news? Or just want to talk about music in general? Post it here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

3milelake

Re: Artist of the week 6.1.2010 Dexateens

Post by 3milelake »

Preaching to the converted. Well played!

one belt loop

Post by one belt loop »

Zip City wrote:I only have their free album, which (I take it) is atypical to the sound of the other albums. I remember seeing them open for DBT, then downloading Lost and Found and wondering why it didn't match what I had heard live

Sweetie, get Red Dust Rising and Singlewide.

Or pm me and we can make some magic.
Matt playing like an evil motherfucker w/ rhythm with a capital MPLAEMWR.

- bubba

dime in the gutter

Post by dime in the gutter »

a most excellent interview w/elliott mcpherson discussing singlewide and the dexateens sound, influences, recording processes and the like.

http://www.peacedogman.com/msdex.htm

August, 2009: I was almost certain we had already interviewed Tuscaloosa, Alabama's DEXATEENS. After all, the band has racked up fantastic reviews on three albums here at the dog site, a seemingly unheard-of feat of consistency. Well, somehow I had missed them for an interview up until now. Good thing guitarist / vocalist Elliott McPherson was so receptive, and willing to give us some background and insight into the latest record, "Singlewide".

Marchman: Is it me or are there more acoustics and banjo present this time than on the "Hardwire Healing" record?

Elliott McPherson: For the 9/10ths of the record, we tracked "Singlewide" with a live vocal and acoustic track, recorded simultaneously, then overdubbed the rest of the band on top of that. A lot of bands call a "live" recording when the band tracks everything at once, then they go back and put the vocals down, so its all "live", except for the vocals. In this instance the opposite is true; the vocals and the acoustic guitar were "live".

Marchman: For me, one of the interesting things about the band is, they sound like a southern rock band, but at the same time a lot of NEIL YOUNG and STONES influence, neither of which are from the south!! How can a band sound like two-non southern bands and still sound southern??

McPherson: We don't try to sound "southern". Matter of fact, if it was up to us we would shed that branding completely because its misleading. We like to call ourselves a rock and roll band and indeed we are from the south. I do not know why we sound like we do. to be honest, as a younger band, we have tried to re-create bands and records that we really loved, and in the end, found ourselves with a product very different from our original aim.

Marchman: Hmmm. Why do musicians like the "We just sound like we sound" response? I can understand that being pigeonholed by critics is undesirable, but this is a music site. Such an answer usually comes off disappointing to the music fans looking for a glimpse into some background. Seriously, the solos in "Same As It Used To Be" and "Grandaddys Mouth" seem to absolutely scream "Sticky Fingers".

McPherson: Well, I would guess because many musicians have huge egos and would never want to give credit for their work to another artist that came before them. Or, maybe it's that some artists consider it an understood factor -- that there has always been, and always will be a great deal of overlap in sound. I understand why you ask that question. Thanks for understanding why it is so hard to answer. So, anyway, here's your answer; we love the Rolling Stones, yes. We each probably have all of the records right up until the 'Steel Wheels' record. I will admit that if there were no Rolling Stones, our band would probably not sound as it does. I will have you know, however, that I can say the same thing about many other bands or artists that we grew up listening to: Skynyrd, the Stooges, Otis Redding, Willie Nelson and on and on.

Marchman: As far as the 'southern rock' topic, we had a similar discussion with Mitch Easter a couple years back, he admitted that the label used to bother him a little in the LETS ACTIVE days, but he's eventually come to terms with it. Is it just endless bad comparisons to THE MARSHALL TUCKER BAND that make the southern rock stereotype a weary one?

McPherson: The Marshall Tucker Band is fine. Rebel flags, the “old South,” racists, rednecks, and so on -- those are the things that we hate to be associated with due to our being from the South. Questions like this are pretty complicated and personal. Each guy in the band would probably have a different take on what it means to be a 'Southern' band, and what that means to him. I'm thankful that our band isn’t called something like 'Gizzard' or 'Spit Cup,' because if it were, those stereotypes would be plentiful. That is one thing that I like about the name of our band. It is misleading and people don’t hear the sound that they are expecting.

Marchman: There's not a lot of ragged "Makers Mound" type of distorted guitar riffs this time. What made you lean heavier on the acoustic approach for this one?

McPherson: I have always wanted a mellow record. We tried to make one that sounded like this since our second record, but they have all ended up being heavy-handed despite that effort. Now that we finally recorded a soft acousticore record, I'm ready to blow some shit up and rock ass till it's all ashes and smoke.

Marchman: Tuscaloosa is quite a hike from Muscle Shoals. Do you get to MS regularly, and is it still a music mecca of talented players?

McPherson: We played there twice in one day a few weeks back. They didn’t seem to have the dreaded hipster scene there and they seemed real happy to have us there. I have no idea what goes on there now. There is a sign where Muscle Shoals Sound used to be, and parking spaces. We parked the van there.

Marchman: The name DEXATEENS - where did it come from? Always conjures images for me that are a very different vibe than your sound.

McPherson: I'm not exactly sure. That was when I had just turned 20, in 1998. The only thing I can really point to was when I asked Dexter Romweber to sign a pick for me when the Flat Duo Jets played Tuscalooosa that same year. He wrote 'DEX' in all capital letters. I remember thinking that those letters looked strong together. I gave that pick to John Smith’s brother, Jeb, who had introduced me to the sound of Dexter and the Flat Duo Jets.

Marchman: Do you think its more difficult to get your music out and heard above the others in this age of internet with so many bands, as opposed to ten or fifteen years ago with the old distribution model of cds and indie labels etc?

McPherson: I have learned that the more you tour, the more people will learn of your band. Period. I have always hoped that something special would happen to our band and we would be “found” by the masses, without having to do years worth of touring. I now see that isn’t reality.

Marchman: With all the Pro-Toolsy, synthetic music out there, stuff like "Nadine" sounds like a first take, just a mike and a guitar. How do you approach recordings to capture that spontaneous vibe?

McPherson: Each song is different. Sometimes you labor over them, sometimes they are captured on the first few takes. I like those the best. Not only in the recording process, but in the writing as well. I think that a lot of writers would tell you the songs that come together all of the sudden are the ones that they are the most happy with.

Marchman: The band seems to be very careful with placement of elements like lap steel, piano, banjos or other effects so that they really pop in the song context. Do you tinker a lot in the studio? Do a lot of extra elements get added and dropped later?

McPherson: We usually track stuff then step away from it for months. We don’t hem and haw to much with the overdubs. All the hemming and hawing is over the core of the songs, themselves, which are the meat and potatoes of it all.

Marchman: "The Ballad of Souls Departed" may be your darkest track ever, the solos are really radical and off the cuff. Are they first takes?

McPherson: Yes, they were first takes. I usually don’t play solos because I don’t ever know where on the neck to play them, and every time I do play a solo, they sound the same to my ears. I tried to edit some of that stuff on that song, but everyone seemed like they liked what was there, so we left it there; wrong notes, right vibe.

Marchman: What's the secret to consistent records?

McPherson: I think trying to be consistently different is the most important thing. No one should hope to keep the same formulated sound from one record to the next. As I mentioned earlier, a lot of times our vision for the final product ended up being different from how we envisioned the record initially. But the point is, we've had a vision, a starting place, that in our minds has always been drastically different from one record to another.

bold99

Post by bold99 »

The Black Canary wrote:
bold99 wrote:Playing 10 minutes from me this friday night..might have to check them out. Love their albums but never seen them live.
Tix sold out, I have seem them live and they are really good!!!! but if you can score tix let me know??

not sold out. Go to TT's site...I was just there tues night for Ryan Bingham and they had plenty. Just not sure if I can make it friday yet.

blessedcurse

Post by blessedcurse »

dime in the gutter wrote:http://www.skybucket.com/media/dexateens/dexapromo%20480x270.mov
rock, rock, rock...just keep fucking going.

this guy gets it.

Freakin brilliant!!
Most men lead lives of quiet desperation and go to the grave with the song still in them. - Thoreau

dime in the gutter

great read.

insightful older interview w/elliott mcpherson talking about their debut, self-titled release and early influences. i think it's from druid city online.

The Dexateens ... Southern hard rock from Tuscaloosa, Alabama (posted 4/04/04)

The Dexateens, Tuscaloosa, AL ... See a picture show ... download an MP3
With a blue bolt of screaming reverb, The Dexateens are striking favorable reviews with their self-titled debut album. Deservedly so. After grinding along for years in semi-dysfunction and obscurity, the band is in the early stages of proving itself a player on the national music scene. Their music blends the twang of Southern guitar rock with the stomp of garage and punk music. But the strength of the Dexateens comes from the urgency and sense of danger with which they perform. In 2004, guitarist and vocalist Elliott McPherson sat down and answered a few questions ...

Druid City Online - Please introduce yourself, tell me where you live and what you do ...

I'm Elliott McPherson. I'm a cabinet maker who is trying to become a furniture designer. My wife and I live in Buhl, which is on the outskirts of Tuscaloosa, Alabama. That's where we raise our two boys and where we have our furniture shop. Caleb is learning to play the fiddle (his teacher tells him its called a violin) and our two year old, Gray, is being terrible at the moment. We are trying to teach him to leave his pacifier in his bed. We don't have any frat boys or campus parties out here, but we do have roosters that crow all night. Those damn things are supposed to start crowing with the sun up, but that's not the case. Outside of that, its pretty great out here in Buhl.

First of all, let’s talk about the lineup of the Dexateens. You seem to have a few “extra” members. Who are the Dexateens?

I wish I knew. The core line up, or the studio line up, is Matt Patton, Sweetdog, John Smith and myself. We have all been doing this since the beginning of 1998. When we go out and about, its usually completely off of the cuff and is done with about three hours worth of prep time. It's pretty nerve racking. John lives in Ohio and Patton tours a lot with Model Citizen. So when a show pops up that we really need to play, we have to snap folks in.

Billy Draper and Taylor Hollingsworth are the two guys we get to play with the most. Billy's about the most amped up, full throttle person I know. I can't stop biting my nails when you put him and Sweetdog in a room together. Too much energy and enthusiasm for me. But it works on stage. Taylor plays guitar second only to John. He's Ron Woods' nephew and our little brother.

Chuck Thompson is an honorary member even though he doesn't play any instruments. He has excellent taste and we know we can count on him to tell us when something sounds like crap or maybe that I was acting like an idiot on stage. He's a great guy to bounce stuff off of and he's not afraid of hurting our feelings. Lord knows we need that source of reality. Every one of us, with the exception of John, lives in our own delusional world where reality is a log short of a full cord of fire wood.

Craig Gates played with us and wrote some songs for a couple of years. In the beginning of The Dexateens, there was a lot of drama and fussing. I think he just had all of that he could stand. He is a great talent and we all respect all of his musical ventures. He's playing with Model Citizen and working his solo project, Ghost Tour.

There's lots of others that have filled in for various reasons (Dan Hall, Tommy Sorrells, Jeb Ricter, Mike Hitt, Jeb Smith, John Mark King from Rocket City Riot, George from Blue Mountain) I'm probably leaving someone out. A few years ago I really liked the idea of getting as many people on stage as possible. One guy was playing dedicated cowbell, one with mic sweat, three guitars, two bass players and a whole lotta noise going on. Now we are dedicated to having a set a little more focused on ... well I guess music. Sweetdog is the king of making sure that the show must "go on". Even if "go on" means something completely disastrous and scary. In the past, we have been known to make an art form of being disastrous and scary.

What’s been the biggest challenge for this band so far?

I'd say ... putting up with Sweetdog asking us if we are still "into" the band on a regular basis. But really his asking of this question has some irony in it. The biggest challenge was deciding to get off our ass and do something. Sweetdog has motivated and pushed us to the point that this thing actually has some momentum of its own now. As a band, I think we finally realized that the key secret to getting the ball rolling isn't saying you're going to do something, but actually doing it. Yeah Sweetdog is the biggest challenge, but he is vital. I guess you could say it's like having a drill sergeant in the band. No matter how big the Dexateens may or may not get, he is our biggest fan ... the motivator, the aggravator, the Dog.

What was the Dexateens’ first gig like? Where was it and who was there?

The first show was very lack luster. I think we were a very pale shade of green. I think we had green horns too. We played at the Chukker with the Woggles and they were really nice and complimentary. But it was a disaster ... "disaster bad" not "disaster good".

What was the band’s best show ever?

The best show we ever had probably wasn't a show. It was a rehearsal where we were all stone sober in the middle of the afternoon. It's hard to say because we have had so many good and bad shows. In the early days, we had some really intense shows where guitars would get broken, folks jumping off of the top of the kick drum, amps getting pushed over, and things just getting completely out of hand. As I mentioned earlier, we still want to deliver the rock, but when things fall completely apart, the show is over. I think the trick is to push things to the point of collapse and then pull it back together. It's a no brainer to get up there turn up to 10 and go for two songs until the stage is destroyed. But I think at this level, people deserve to get their five dollars worth of music, and by god ...we'll give it to 'em.

Favorite place to play?

My favorite places to play are usually house parties where you are eye level with the crowd and they are right there with you. Although, it's a nice to play a stage where you get a monitor and a mix, but that's rare. I guess the 600 house at Christmas last year was one of my favorite shows. I remember everyone watching was standing there smiling at us. When I would pass the mic around, people would flub the words and yelp into the mic. You could feel the floor giving in the middle and it seemed like the house was literally going to cave un. The room was packed to the gills and hot with body heat. It was great.

Who are some of your favorite groups that you’ve played with so far?

You know the Quadrajets were one of the biggest inspirations to what we were doing in the beginning. Anytime we had the chance to play with them, we would learn a little something about delivering the rock. The Neckbones and The Hellicopters were both pretty amazing shows.

My three favorites songs on your album “The Dexateens” (and there’s lots of good songs) are “Cherry”, “Shelter” and “Settle Down”. Talk a little about where and how each was recorded?

"Cherry" was recorded at Sarcophagus Studios in west point Georgia. It's about Bobby Frank Cherry. The week we recorded that song, they had tried him and found him guilty in association with the 1963 church bombing in Birmingham. I remember that song being a turning point in our first recording session with Tim Kerr. When he heard John singing the words, he came in the booth and wanted to know who the song was written about. He got really excited. I think earlier that day, before he heard those lyrics, he referred to us as a party band. That's one thing I really like about our first record. It goes in a bunch of directions lyrically and musically.

"Shelter" was recorded in Alberta City at the first location of 600 Studios. That song is just about living a simple life and being perfectly content with it.

"Settle Down" is really about a personal addiction and relationship with music. Music is the second greatest thing in my life. My family is the first. Sometimes I'm a selfish asshole and let the music take priority. I think those sort of feelings spawned those lyrics.

In “Cherry”, you sing about a man who needs to die. What is this song about and what is that lyric about?

Back to the Cherry song ... I guess that lyric specifically states "can't wait till all that shit inside you dies" because that guy walked around a free murderer for most of his adult life.

But you also asked how each was recorded. All the tracking for every song was done live. We did a few guitar overdubs and sang all of the vocals separate, but the performance was live. Tim Kerr is real big on getting the best performance of a song that we can possibly get. So we may play a song 30 times before we move on to the next one.

I remember first seeing you perform as a guitarist. Now, it seems you’re more of the lead vocalist. Has that been a strange transition for you?

Well, I tried playing without a guitar and that was a lot of fun. But there is an immediate sense of being naked, standing on stage holding a mic without a guitar around your neck. It's really a strange thing to do. But the reason I was doing it was because in the earlier days, I would get so into the show that my guitar playing started to suffer. I would be so concerned with being a showman that my guitar playing sounded like hell. Then there were songs that I simply just couldn't play and sing at the same time. But I know both of those things were just cop outs for me not being a professional. Also, a lot of what I used to do was so over the top anyway. Sweetdog is really into the sonic and visual appeal of three guitars on stage ... that's a bitch. For the most part, if all three aren't doing different parts, it gets really cluttered sounding.

The Dexateens are one of the only local bands can I think of who have been signed by a record label (Estrus Records). How did that happen and what did you get out of it?

One of the Dexateens favorite records is "Pay the Deuce" by The Quadrajets (Estrus Records). Sweetdog was obsessed with having the same staff recording our record that recorded "Pay the Deuce". So when we started, we went to Sarcophagus and got Tim Kerr on board. I think at the beginning, we really wanted our record to sound like "Pay the Deuce". But being around Tim (Kerr) was the best thing that ever happened to us. He pushed us into our own place and made us shed the whole Quadrants thing. So starting with the second session, the music drastically changed. There are some songs not on the record, that sound a lot like Quadrajets songs. Maybe well put them on the web site soon. But anyway, when we finished we sent a copy to Estrus and flew out there to meet them. We played three shows in the great northwest and they put the record out.

How did those shows go? Where did you play and what kind of reaction did you get?

The reaction was great. In Seattle, we played with one of Kurt Block's new bands. He was the guitar player in The Fastbacks and produced a bunch of SubPop records. I think it's possible that I may have got on his nerves. I was relentlessly drilling him about mixing questions and studio stuff. He was trying to shed me by the end of the night. He was great and his band was too. We played all of the shows with The Star Spangled Bastards who have a 7" out on Estrus. The second show was in Stanwood, which was really great. We joined up there with The DTs. No, not The DTs from Tuscaloosa, but DTs of madame x and Monomen fame. That show was a lot like Egan's on the Strip, except bigger and formatted like a saloon. There, as well as at Egan's, you had to walk through the band to get to the potty. I ratted my voice out the first night in Seattle, so Carl hooked me up with the olive oil throat coating solution. I spilled the bottle in the middle of our set and had to skate all over the damn floor. The crowd was a little older and everyone seemed like real life working class people. None of that "I'm more rock and roll than you " syndrome. We liked Stanwood the best. I think they liked us too. Bellingham was a really great town too. I think we will surely try to get back up to the northwest soon. The air was really great and dehumidified up there.

Any advice for bands hoping to sign their first record deal?

I guess advice for any band no matter how far along they may be musically or otherwise, is to push yourself to reach your potential, especially from a creative standpoint. I'm not saying that we have done that as The Dexateens, because I don't think we have. When we do, we will be on our best game. One mistake that we made for the longest time was trying to sound like the Quadrajets or Black Sabbath or Motorhead. Those weren't wasted experiences because its good to learn where your heroes are coming from, and it damn sure don't hurt to get your rocks off. But I think bands should try to get past all that as quickly as possible so you can move on to looking inside your own guts rather than someone else's. I keep reading these reviews of our record that mention "Exile on Main Street "and The Rolling Stone's "Bag of Tricks". Someone is always going to peg you up on the cork with something everyone can identify with. I can honestly say I'd rather someone say we sounded like "Exile" rather than Creed or some shitty band like that. Most bands you hear on the radio are trying to reinvent the wheel. I could go on and on here.

Do you guys have any specific goals for your music?

Specific goals? To honesty answer that question, I think we would all like to make enough money at this that we could keep living on the same standards we do now, and be able to quit our day jobs. The market that we are in now is so small and that's not really a realistic goal .... but it would be nice.

I mainly want to look back at this thing in 20 years and be proud of what we did and know that we didn't leave and i's undotted and t's uncrossed. We are in a position to make music and let people hear it. That's one of the most perfect things about making music to me. It never goes away and stirs up peoples emotions. I remember when I was 17, going through puberty and how shitty it seemed. Some of my favorite times were sitting in my car listening to punk rock cassettes. Music made it better. I think I'm rambling ...

And finally, in five words or less … What will people see if they check out the Dexateens?

Who knows what folks will see. Hopefully, they'll see Sweetdog working off that gut up there behind the drums. He bought a new kit and it's a pretty small kit. You know how in the old westerns they'd make the doorways smaller so all the cowboys looked bigger. It's sort of the same thing with the Dog. He's like 6'2, 220 pounds, and behind that little kit he looks like a monster. (Matt) Patton is all smiles when we play. I think it's a total release for Matt to play with out the pressures of fronting the band like he does in Model Citizen. John (Smith) ... oh man, he just gets off in his own little world and lets go. He's not into all that "we're so rawk that we can't stand it" with the Pete Townsend windmills and such. He demands authority through his playing. Last time we played at 600 Studios, there was some little A & R Arista Records asshole who said to the Dog, "You know, you guys would be great for our label if the singer could hold a note a little better. Is that the best he can sing?" This guy could have been a crack head off the streets who forged a business card for all we know. So I guess I'm just trying to hold a note and play all the right chords. But I have been working on a Tommy Shaw type vibrato thing! (laughs)

Oh yeah, you said five words or less ... loose southern twangy simple man's rock ... OK, I guess that's six words.

WoodDuck

Post by WoodDuck »

dime in the gutter wrote:Image

The METHLAB shirt rises again!
McPherson: I have always wanted a mellow record. We tried to make one that sounded like this since our second record, but they have all ended up being heavy-handed despite that effort. Now that we finally recorded a soft acousticore record, I'm ready to blow some shit up and rock ass till it's all ashes and smoke.

:twisted:
Marchman: The name DEXATEENS - where did it come from? Always conjures images for me that are a very different vibe than your sound.

McPherson: I'm not exactly sure. That was when I had just turned 20, in 1998. The only thing I can really point to was when I asked Dexter Romweber to sign a pick for me when the Flat Duo Jets played Tuscalooosa that same year. He wrote 'DEX' in all capital letters. I remember thinking that those letters looked strong together. I gave that pick to John Smith’s brother, Jeb, who had introduced me to the sound of Dexter and the Flat Duo Jets.

Nice, always wondered that.

TW_2.0

Post by TW_2.0 »

Not sure if this has surfaced anywhere, but here are 6 early recordings (original version of "Teenager" included):

http://craiggates.bandcamp.com/album/early-dexateens-recordings?autoplay=true

Craig Gates (this is his website) was one of their guitarists when they first formed, and a good friend of mine from Montgomery, AL dating back to the late '80s. I didn't know until about a week ago, though, that he played in the Dexateens back in the day. Blew my mind - then he sent me this link.

Says that "Teenager" is a true story based on a real girl, for what it's worth.

Pretty ragged stuff, but you can see what was to come...
I can't dance a lick but sometimes I can flat rock and roll

dime in the gutter

very nice. ^^^^

quote from some alabama blog about take me to the speedway.
The songwriting development of McPherson and Smith owes a lot to Patterson Hood and Mike Cooley of the Drive-By Truckers, whose own embrace of the redneck diaspora and the attendant Alabama mythology must've been an influence. The band even enlisted Hood as co-producer for their 2007 album, Hardwire Healing. All that said, "Take Me To The Speedway," from the Dexateens' breakthrough second album, Red Dust Rising, is fucking epic independent of its referent sources. Great build, huge cascading guitar parts, it's like John Fogerty getting "Cortez The Killer" in a headlock made of tequila shots. Other bands should fear this song.

WoodDuck

Post by WoodDuck »

it's like John Fogerty getting "Cortez The Killer" in a headlock made of tequila shots

Shit yeah!

dime in the gutter

for those who don't have it. free download of dexateens/lost and found.

http://www.skybucket.com/media/dexateens/

cortez the killer

Post by cortez the killer »

What's your cut dime?
You are entitled to your opinion, but you are not entitled to your own facts.
- DPM

dime in the gutter

cortez the killer wrote:What's your cut dime?

comment about fogerty having cortez the killer in a tequila headlock must have rubbed u wrong.

cortez the killer

dime in the gutter wrote:
cortez the killer wrote:What's your cut dime?

comment about fogerty having cortez the killer in a tequila headlock must have rubbed u wrong.

Absolutely. Someone will pay Friday.
- DPM

WoodDuck

Post by WoodDuck »

:D

If Fogerty and Shakey got in a scrap after a bottle of shitty tequila, who'd win?

cortez the killer

WoodDuck wrote::D

If Fogerty and Shakey got in a scrap after a bottle of shitty tequila, who'd win?

Flannel fight! Fogerty by TKO. Neil would be preoccupied with drinking the tequila.
- DPM

dime in the gutter

cortez the killer wrote:
WoodDuck wrote::D

Flannel fight! Fogerty by TKO. Neil would be preoccupied with drinking the tequila.

i don't know.....a few honey slides b/n rounds and i say shakey takes him out.

dime in the gutter

Clams wrote:Saw them once with DBT (harrisburg 08) and they rocked it and really brought down the house, got an ovation unlike any I've ever seen for an opening band. They're doing a Boston-NYC jaunt later this week but skipping Philly (though there is still a TBA show listed for one of the nights, so fingers are crossed). Great, great young band. Nice write up dime.

prayers answered.

Saturday, June 5

Dexateens Show
Where: The Manhattan Room - Philadelphia, PA
When: Saturday, June 5 from 9:00 pm to 2:00 am

no excuses.

dime in the gutter

http://vimeo.com/5491622

dexateens performing on alabama public television series: we have signal.

lots of other cool acts. blitzen trapper, magnolia electric company, dirtbombs, deer hunter. check it out.

Hood4Pres

Post by Hood4Pres »

These guys could share the stage with anyone touring today and hold their own. Loved seeing them open for DBT in Tuscaloosa.

cortez the killer

- DPM

dime in the gutter

primed for a dexawhuppin?

bold99

Post by bold99 »

cortez the killer wrote:Image

great little venue.

DBT played there back in the day.

PeterG

Post by PeterG »

Sweet write up Dime...
Got into the Dexateens around Hardwire Healing...
Had to get Red Dust, Lost & Found which are great,
but Singlewide is one of my top albums of the last 5 years.
This time last year, it was parked in my CD player for months...
D'led a couple of live shows over the years, raw energy is the best description.
This is my favorite band I may never get to see live.
Seems like they have yet to come out west to play,
i've been hoping the DBT would bring them ont he road as an opener,
but that doesn't seem to be in the cards...
still hopeful they make it out to SF someday, i'll be there for sure
take a deep breath and throw yourself into it with everything you got...it's great to be alive!

dime in the gutter

http://www.americansongwriter.com/2010/02/sessions-dexateens/

radio interview and 2 song set from woxy in nashvegas. 2/10.

funny shit and seriously blazing acoustic performances of naked ground and grandaddy's mouth.

dime in the gutter

PeterG wrote:Sweet write up Dime...
Got into the Dexateens around Hardwire Healing...
Had to get Red Dust, Lost & Found which are great,
but Singlewide is one of my top albums of the last 5 years.
This time last year, it was parked in my CD player for months...
D'led a couple of live shows over the years, raw energy is the best description.
This is my favorite band I may never get to see live.
Seems like they have yet to come out west to play,
i've been hoping the DBT would bring them ont he road as an opener,
but that doesn't seem to be in the cards...
still hopeful they make it out to SF someday, i'll be there for sure

get ur ass down south.

TW_2.0

Post by TW_2.0 »

dime in the gutter wrote:http://vimeo.com/5491622

dexateens performing on alabama public television series: we have signal.

lots of other cool acts. blitzen trapper, magnolia electric company, dirtbombs, deer hunter. check it out.

Just finished watching. What a great set - and the interviews are cool too.

TW_2.0

Post by TW_2.0 »