Dexateens -lots of info here

Know of a great band you think we'd like to hear about? Got some music news? Or just want to talk about music in general? Post it here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

WarHenRecords

Re: Dexateens -lots of info here

Post by WarHenRecords »

Nice to see some movement from them.
Even better that it was mixed/mastered by David Barbe.
Might as well just put it on your calendar to buy on 7/3 vs. pre-ordering because Bandcamp is waiving their fees again that day.

Still got some Teenage Hallelujah LPs available for $10 here, if anyone is interested > https://warhenrecords.bandcamp.com/albu ... hallelujah
This is my label > http://warhenrecords.bandcamp.com/
Label IG > @WarHenRecords

Clams

Post by Clams »

Man what a blistering set this is. Right now it's my favorite record of the year, perfect to crank all the way up on my morning run (it's no wonder I wear hearing aids, lol). Love the little flourishes - the Green Acres theme, the final notes of ABB's Jessica that close out Pine Belt Blues, the answers to eternal questions (Can you whoop it? Yes, yes I can!). The Dexateens clearly haven't lost a step over the years. So great to have this and the Truckers' 2020 HC shows released.
Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

Beaverdam

Post by Beaverdam »

So my wife works from home, and we’ve been homeschooling our kids. Since she can work and the kids can do school from anywhere, they went to the beach and I have music and the tv remote all to myself.

I have listened to Teenage Hallelujah several times, and I’m listening to the live 40 Watt album now. I’ve always liked the Dexateens, but I think that I’ve developed a mild obsession over the past few days.

Beaverdam

Post by Beaverdam »

Neil Armstrong and the Arrival Fallacy

I have had a moderate to severe Dexateens obsession since February. My symptoms were starting to improve, then the live record was released and symptoms resumed with a vengeance. One of the songs with which I was and an most captivated is “Neil Armstrong;” it appeals to me both musically and lyrically.

Even though I’m the psychologist, my wife was telling me last night about her recently reading about the “arrival fallacy,” a construct which basically entails one having obtained and accomplished everything for for which he/she had hoped or “arriving,” yet still not finding true happiness. Sometimes the trip is better than the destination (no reference to psychedelics...well maybe)!

“Neil Armstrong” engenders this concept as perhaps many songs do, The Rolling Stones “I Can’t Get No Satisfaction” quickly comes to mind. I know on the surface some songs may be about chasing a physical or psychological “high,” but isn’t this just the arrival fallacy being realized. Could the concept of the arrival fallacy be used to explain addiction and help our society combat it??? This is a dissertation waiting to happen....or maybe one that has been written 3000 times!

Coffee talk...Talk amongst yourselves....

schlanky

Post by schlanky »

Been listening to Dexateens live at Egan's. June 2, 2011.

If I could time travel, I'd hit Egan's to see this show.

Egan's Bar was one of the only good things in Tuscaloosa, AL. (full disclosure, I went to Auburn). After graduation, a best friend was still going to school at Bama and I'd go visit from time to time. We'd always hit Egan's. The bands there were good on any given night, and it was a cool crowd.

Locally, it was rumored that Egan's was a gay bar. It was not a gay bar (though I'm certain gay people were welcome there--anybody who wasn't an asshole was welcomed there). It was also rumored within the bar that the bar itself started the "gay bar" rumor just to keep the frat boys out. There was a framed letter on the wall from ASCAP's lawyers about their reps being threatened on some previous visit. Egan's sold shirts that said "Only Pigs Charge Cover," though I heard later that they caved and started charging cover.

At the time I went a bunch was back in mid-90s. There was no stage. The band just set up in the back of the room. The bathrooms were down a hall back behind the band. You'd have to wait for a song to finish, then walk through the band to get to the bathroom; sometimes a guy in the band would have to tilt his guitar neck back to let you through. It was tight. You'd hit the bathroom, then come up behind the band and wait for the song to end to walk back through.

I have a vivid memory of being there right after Petty's "Wildflowers" came out. During the band break, they didn't turn the sound down at all and just let the Wildflowers album play cranked at full volume.

Wish I would have been there years later to catch The Dexateens because this is a great show.
Let the outside air in

RolanK
Location: drivin' home early Sunday morning through Bakersfield

Post by RolanK »

schlanky wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 11:02 pm
Been listening to Dexateens live at Egan's. June 2, 2011.

If I could time travel, I'd hit Egan's to see this show.

Egan's Bar was one of the only good things in Tuscaloosa, AL. (full disclosure, I went to Auburn). After graduation, a best friend was still going to school at Bama and I'd go visit from time to time. We'd always hit Egan's. The bands there were good on any given night, and it was a cool crowd.

Locally, it was rumored that Egan's was a gay bar. It was not a gay bar (though I'm certain gay people were welcome there--anybody who wasn't an asshole was welcomed there). It was also rumored within the bar that the bar itself started the "gay bar" rumor just to keep the frat boys out. There was a framed letter on the wall from ASCAP's lawyers about their reps being threatened on some previous visit. Egan's sold shirts that said "Only Pigs Charge Cover," though I heard later that they caved and started charging cover.

At the time I went a bunch was back in mid-90s. There was no stage. The band just set up in the back of the room. The bathrooms were down a hall back behind the band. You'd have to wait for a song to finish, then walk through the band to get to the bathroom; sometimes a guy in the band would have to tilt his guitar neck back to let you through. It was tight. You'd hit the bathroom, then come up behind the band and wait for the song to end to walk back through.

I have a vivid memory of being there right after Petty's "Wildflowers" came out. During the band break, they didn't turn the sound down at all and just let the Wildflowers album play cranked at full volume.

Wish I would have been there years later to catch The Dexateens because this is a great show.
I spoke to Lee Bains III about that place some years ago. Got the impression he (and the boys in the band) almost regarded that place as their second home. Would have loved to had the chance to go there.
Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

Is there a Dexateens song with a verse or chorus ending "like the preacher loves his sin"? I hear a song in my head like that, and this is my best guess.
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

lajakesdad

Post by lajakesdad »

John A Arkansawyer wrote:
Tue Dec 14, 2021 8:13 am
Is there a Dexateens song with a verse or chorus ending "like the preacher loves his sin"? I hear a song in my head like that, and this is my best guess.
That would be Coal Mine Lung from Red Dust Rising

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

lajakesdad wrote:
Wed Dec 15, 2021 12:47 pm
John A Arkansawyer wrote:
Tue Dec 14, 2021 8:13 am
That would be Coal Mine Lung from Red Dust Rising
Thanks, man! I kinda thought it was from that one, but couldn't quite place it without reference.
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

Jonicont
Site Admin

Post by Jonicont »

Can anyone provide me with a copy of Lost and Found
Always go to the show

lajakesdad

Post by lajakesdad »

Jonicont wrote:
Mon Mar 28, 2022 2:47 pm
Can anyone provide me with a copy of Lost and Found
check your dm's

Jonicont
Site Admin

Post by Jonicont »

Got it. That was quick. Thanks folks
Always go to the show

Beaverdam

Post by Beaverdam »

I wasn’t sure where to put this, but it sure was fun to read…

https://glidemagazine.com/154540/drive/

WarHenRecords

Post by WarHenRecords »

Still have $10 LPs of Teenage Hallelujah if anyone needs a cheap ripper.

This is my label > http://warhenrecords.bandcamp.com/
Label IG > @WarHenRecords