Music Blasphemy

Know of a great band you think we'd like to hear about? Got some music news? Or just want to talk about music in general? Post it here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Jonicont
Site Admin

Re: Music Blasphemy

Post by Jonicont »

and away we go!
Always go to the show

Bill in CT

Post by Bill in CT »

I don't like The Hold Steady. I really tried...bought and listened to the 2nd and 3rd albums...went to see them 3 times on the RnR Means Well tour...just didn't do much for me at all. At my fourth & last RnR Means Well show (Boston), DBT opened and I left after their set. I thought I'd like them going in as I'd heard how much they were influenced by early Springsteen (which I love), but...nope.
The closer you get to the meaning
The sooner you'll know that you're dreaming

Dave

Post by Dave »

Bill in CT wrote:I don't like The Hold Steady. I really tried...bought and listened to the 2nd and 3rd albums...went to see them 3 times on the RnR Means Well tour...just didn't do much for me at all. At my fourth & last RnR Means Well show (Boston), DBT opened and I left after their set. I thought I'd like them going in as I'd heard how much they were influenced by early Springsteen (which I love), but...nope.

Yeah, that's pretty much blasphemy. Seeing DBT and THS on the same bill (I managed it four times) might have been the highlight of my concert-going career. And as much as I like DBT, there have been a few THS concerts that have been better....

Jack Flash

Post by Jack Flash »

Pink Floyd is the most boring thing I can think of.

roland

Post by roland »

I've had a really bad day and I hate the fucking Eagles, man.

TruckerTomer

Post by TruckerTomer »

Zip City wrote:Potato Hole is a mediocre (at best) album. If DBT wasn't involved, nobody here would care about it.

:o

Actually I agree. I was very excited when it came out (The Truckers & Neil on the same album? wow!), and I didn't like the album. Wanted to love it, but it's a very medicore album for me. didn't relate to that much.
"I used to hate the fool in me, but only in the morning. Now I tolerate him all day long"

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Zip City wrote:Potato Hole is a mediocre (at best) album. If DBT wasn't involved, nobody here would care about it.

I agree with you in that this audience would not have bought or heard it if, say, it was with the MG's or another older band. If that was the case older Booker T fans would have bought it and that's about all. I have musician buddy who's a huge Booker T fan who bought it online without even knowing it was DBT backing him up. I disagree that it's mediocre. Honestly I don't listen to it a ton, but f you realy listen it's really a great album. The deal for me is I listen to a select few instrumental albums (mostly Coltrane, Miles Davis, Wynton Marsalis, Monk and others from mostly the jazz side of things) and it's not quite able to crack that few very often. Just listen to the grooves Shonna and EZB are laying down. They are really stellar.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

RevMatt

Post by RevMatt »

I quite like Potato Hole. I guess that is because 1) I am a keyboard player and 2) have always been a pretty big jazz fan which would make me partial towards an instrumental rock/r&b album.
I have nowhere else to go. There is no demand in the priesthood for elderly drug addicts

RevMatt

Post by RevMatt »

Now for some blasphemy. I don't know if I posted this on the other site, but here it goes. The East Street Band is overrated. The Asbury Jukes are better. (Keep in mind that I didn't say that Bruce was overrated or that Southside Johnny was better. Only that Southside Johnny's band is better than Bruce's.)
I have nowhere else to go. There is no demand in the priesthood for elderly drug addicts

Anodyne

Post by Anodyne »

Bill in CT wrote:I don't like The Hold Steady. I really tried...bought and listened to the 2nd and 3rd albums...went to see them 3 times on the RnR Means Well tour...just didn't do much for me at all. At my fourth & last RnR Means Well show (Boston), DBT opened and I left after their set. I thought I'd like them going in as I'd heard how much they were influenced by early Springsteen (which I love), but...nope.

Completely agree. I've tried hard to like them, too, bought (and subsequently sold) a couple of their cds and I just simply don't like them.

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

If DBT wasn't involved, I probably would've have heard it, that's true.
But I absolutely love it - parts of it reminded me of the Japancakes albums, and I spin them on a weekly basis.
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

I liked the first few Radiohead albums but as they became more and more "brilliant" I completely lost interest. There's just not much there for me.

TruckerClown

Post by TruckerClown »

Don't like the Beatles. At All.

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

TruckerClown wrote:Don't like the Beatles. At All.

That's cool, I don't like 85% of their output, but don't you understand the respect the Beatles get?

I don't particularly like a lot of Dylan, but I "get it"
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

TruckerTomer

Post by TruckerTomer »

Zip City wrote:I also submit that the DBT/Bettye LaVette album is far inferior to her "I've Got My Own Hell to Raise" album.

Potato Hole and Scene of the Crime are good, but I don't really hear DBT's contribution to them as being real apparent (though maybe that's what a good backing band does.....blends in and takes on the personality of the person their backing).

That said, you can't put a price on how valuable the experience of making both records was for the band and how much better they are now for having made them

"The Scene Of The Crime" is awesome. I love that album. I think the truckers' contribution is more heard on this. I dunno, I think they fit very well with a soul singer. That mix of Rock'n'roll & soul is something I really love (a big reason why I love bands like Humble Pie for example). More than the truckers on instrumental album highlight with keys/hammond al least...

Me too. Never was into them. And I also think there are many bands from the same time and same genre that do it better (like The Kinks for example). But I have a lot of appreciation for them nontheless.
"I used to hate the fool in me, but only in the morning. Now I tolerate him all day long"

TruckerClown

Post by TruckerClown »

Smitty wrote:

That's cool, I don't like 85% of their output, but don't you understand the respect the Beatles get?

I don't particularly like a lot of Dylan, but I "get it"

I APPRECIATE what they mean to people in general, and their contributions to pop music history...

But no, I personally don't get it... neither the appeal of the music or the guys themselves.

TruckerTomer

Post by TruckerTomer »

Zip City wrote:
TruckerTomer wrote:
Zip City wrote:I also submit that the DBT/Bettye LaVette album is far inferior to her "I've Got My Own Hell to Raise" album.

Potato Hole and Scene of the Crime are good, but I don't really hear DBT's contribution to them as being real apparent (though maybe that's what a good backing band does.....blends in and takes on the personality of the person their backing).

That said, you can't put a price on how valuable the experience of making both records was for the band and how much better they are now for having made them

"The Scene Of The Crime" is awesome. I love that album. I think the truckers' contribution is more heard on this. I dunno, I think they fit very well with a soul singer. That mix of Rock'n'roll & soul is something I really love (a big reason why I love bands like Humble Pie for example). More than the truckers on instrumental album highlight with keys/hammond al least...

have you heard "...Hell to Raise"?

Not yet. It's on my wish list. I'll buy it when I'll have the chance.

shuffle

Post by shuffle »

Uncle Tupelo weren't that great...very good at times but not that special

Chinese Democracy was a good album

Pink Floyd are massively overrated

so are The Doors
http://twitter.com/birdsneedfeet
http://www.birdsneedfeet.com/

lotusamerica

Post by lotusamerica »

Definitely disagree on this one. Hell to Raise to me is like a decent tribute album with several songs that are less than the originals - feels forced maybe due to the whole woman-songwriter theme. Crime has a few moments where it could use some more flash on guitar and energy/groove in the rhythm section, but it lifted her higher as a song interpreter with songs she could own rather than sounding like a tribute album.

mark lynn
Site Admin

Post by mark lynn »

I don't like the song Three Dimes Down at all. Feels like a Cooley toss off to me. However it makes a great name for a website. Word.

shuffle

Post by shuffle »

marklynn wrote:I don't like the song Three Dimes Down at all. Feels like a Cooley toss off to me. However it makes a great name for a website. Word.

I like it but it's definitely one of the weakest songs on BTCD...
http://twitter.com/birdsneedfeet
http://www.birdsneedfeet.com/

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Zip City wrote:
shuffle wrote:
marklynn wrote:I don't like the song Three Dimes Down at all. Feels like a Cooley toss off to me. However it makes a great name for a website. Word.

I like it but it's definitely one of the weakest songs on BTCD...

I really didn't like it at first, but it has grown on me quite a bit. It rips live, too

Probably my third or fourth favorite on that album after Righteous Path, Ghost To Most and probably Checkout Time In Vegas.

scotto

Post by scotto »

Music's gone downhill since NineBullets folded.

RevMatt

Post by RevMatt »

I don't like much of what Elvis did after he left Sun Records. Maybe a few songs. But the stuff he recorded for Sam Phillips had what Neil Young calls "the spook." Very little of what he recorded afterwards came close.

thedudeabides

Post by thedudeabides »

roland wrote:I've had a really bad day and I hate the fucking Eagles, man.

Jesus man, can you change the station??!!!

Clams

Post by Clams »

Dude! 3 Dimes rocks! It fucking blazes for three minutes straight! You're nuts.
Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

whatwouldcooleydo?

Post by whatwouldcooleydo? »

RevMatt wrote:I don't like much of what Elvis did after he left Sun Records. Maybe a few songs. But the stuff he recorded for Sam Phillips had what Neil Young calls "the spook." Very little of what he recorded afterwards came close.

American Trilogy and Polk Salad Annie fuckin' cook!
Son, this ain't a dream no more, it's the real thing

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Some of Elvis's 60s gospel stuff is really good and the '68 comeback special & from elvis in memphis are almost as good as the Sun stuff. But yeah, that leaves an awful lot of dreck.

I loved I've Got My Own Hell to Raise but hardly listen to it anymore after Scene of the Crime came out. I don't have any real interest in splitting hairs about 2 really fine albums but i sure don't see Hell to Raise as clearly superior or anything like that. But I agree that DBT doesn't add a whole lot of distinctively "DBT sound" to it. The playing's fine, but you'd never point to that as what DBT sounds like.

Here's another vote for the only reason most people here listen to Potato Hole is because of DBT, but also another vote for it being a really good album. I've listened to it a bunch.

My guess, and it's only that, it's not like i've studied the issue, is that any music fan who doesn't like the Beatles probably thinks they're a rock band, and as a rock band i can understand someone thinking they come up short (I don't agree, but i can understand it). They're really better understood as a pop music band, w/ particular attention paid to melody, arrangements, unique and surprising instrumental touches and lyrical flourishes (great rhymes, internal rhyming schemes, extended metaphors and the like). It's also almost impossible for anyone who came to them after their original moment to understand how original and trailblazing they were because so much of what they did became so "institutionalized" in everything we hear. But here's something to try if u really care: Start in 1960 and listen to 20 or 30 or 50 of the top record for each year from that year thru 1963 or 4 w/out listening to the beatles. Now go back and listen to With the Beatles, Beatles for Sale and Hard Day's Night. Then listen to Rubber Soul. Then come back and let us know what you think.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

The Beatles are a tricky subject. Some of the stuff, Abbey Road in particular is unbelievably overrated so if you don't know much of them and listen it's a let down. Rubber Soul, Revolver and The White Album are brilliant though. They were trailblazers and you have to give it to them, but as I've said before without John Lennon they'd be akin to Herman's Hermits or the like. Only "musical genius" in the band IMHO.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:The Beatles are a tricky subject. Some of the stuff, Abbey Road in particular is unbelievably overrated so if you don't know much of them and listen it's a let down. Rubber Soul, Revolver and The White Album are brilliant though. They were trailblazers and you have to give it to them, but as I've said before without John Lennon they'd be akin to Herman's Hermits or the like. Only "musical genius" in the band IMHO.

You can take the Cowboy out of 9B but you can't take 9b out of the Cowboy :)-- That would be the same Abbey Road that's my favorite Beatles album, correct? :lol: :lol:

Oh, anyone who wants to know if the Beatles could rock should listen to the first Star Club live album.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard