Music Blasphemy

Know of a great band you think we'd like to hear about? Got some music news? Or just want to talk about music in general? Post it here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Zip City

Re: Music Blasphemy

Post by Zip City »

LuthierJustin wrote:downloading music is blasphemy to me, If I can't hold it, look at it and have it in my physical collection then I don't want it. I'll make exceptions for OOP albums and live shows but if the CD is still out there then thats what I want, I want the art work, any "limited edition" specials that come with the actual CD.

you're not alone.\, but I got to the point where my 500+ CD's were just taking up space. I usually listen to music while using the computer anyways, so it's easier to just have everything in a digital format

It's also cheaper
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

LuthierJustin

Post by LuthierJustin »

I usually just buy cds used on amazon, unless its something I want thats just coming out, I got one rare Shel Silverstein CD that was selling for up to $500 but a place was selling it used for about 10 bucks.
LJ: 3DD's resident hipster

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Smitty wrote:There is no better songwriter than James McMurtry.

McMurtry is the shit. Ruby & Carlos, Choctaw Bingo and Levelland (just to name a few) are among the best songs, wood for word, ever written. Upper, upper echelon. You state there is no better, and that's true. He's in the Dylan, Lennon, Cooley, Patterson, Westerberg group for me.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:

McMurtry is the shit. Ruby & Carlos, Choctaw Bingo and Levelland (just to name a few) are among the best songs, wood for word, ever written. Upper, upper echelon. You state there is no better, and that's true. He's in the Dylan, Lennon, Cooley, Patterson, Westerberg group for me.

Fireline Road is my fav
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

elnorte72

Post by elnorte72 »

lajakesdad wrote:
dime in the gutter wrote:nirvana was a punk band.

EXACTLY

Nirvana was a Pop band. No shame in it.
We were Heathens in their eyes at the time.
I guess I'm just a Heathen still...

elnorte72

Post by elnorte72 »

Zip City wrote:
Tequila Cowboy wrote:

Fireline Road is my fav

Childish Things. McMurtry is the shit.

mjk73

Post by mjk73 »

I'm not a fan of Dylan & Springsteen. I find both ponderous and overrated, but that's just me. Don't like it, tough.
Last edited by mjk73 on Thu Jul 29, 2010 9:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Steve French

Post by Steve French »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:
Steve French wrote:
dime in the gutter wrote: Velvet Underground and the Byrds but combined they're influence created R.E.M.

i like that description.

apart from the incorrect use of "they're"

just sayin....

End of the day slip up. Fixed.[/quote]

end of the day bitchiness from me. Sadly, not fixed
I've never taken a pissbreak during a DBT show but if I had it would have been during Dancing Ricky.

Gator McKlusky

Post by Gator McKlusky »

LuthierJustin wrote:downloading music is blasphemy to me, If I can't hold it, look at it and have it in my physical collection then I don't want it. I'll make exceptions for OOP albums and live shows but if the CD is still out there then thats what I want, I want the art work, any "limited edition" specials that come with the actual CD.

I am in total agreement with you here LJ altough I must admit I finally gave in last year and joined emusic to get all the stuff that is hard to find on cd like Bloodkin, Star Room Boys etc.
Looks like a bunch of little whiny fucksticks to me

dime in the gutter

Post by dime in the gutter »

elnorte72 wrote:
lajakesdad wrote:
dime in the gutter wrote:nirvana was a punk band.

EXACTLY

Nirvana was a Pop band. No shame in it.

punk band who made a pop record.

just my opinion.

elnorte72

Post by elnorte72 »

dime in the gutter wrote:punk band who made a pop record.

just my opinion.

Definitely punk in that they were not afraid to slop up the pop. not pop punk (whatever that is) but pop like Big Star only more distorted. Nirvana is to Big Star what the Ramones were to Phil Specter. And yeah, thats about as punk as it gets.

I agree with your opinion.

elnorte72

Post by elnorte72 »

Gator McKlusky wrote:

I am in total agreement with you here LJ altough I must admit I finally gave in last year and joined emusic to get all the stuff that is hard to find on cd like Bloodkin, Star Room Boys etc.

emusic is the ultimate resource for back fill of the catalog, plus its so portable its hard to beat being able to grab that album you have to have immediately no matter where you are. vinyl is no doubt the ultimate and liner notes are my favorite parts of owning an album but i love the convenience of being able to read a review of say, good ole boys by randy newman and grabbing it and listening before i get to the last paragraph. There is room for both.

Gator McKlusky

Post by Gator McKlusky »

RevMatt wrote:

I never was an REM fan after their first ep and album, though I did like Document and the album they backed Warren Zevon on. Tell you the truth, I prefer The Feelies, The Church and even Winter Hours to REM.

I believe this is the first reference to Winter Hours I have ever seen on 9B/3DD RevMatt! Did you know them? (you being from NJ and all) I saw them in The Zephyr Club in SLC in 1987 and they were cool--invited me and my buddy backstage during their break and shared their beer with us (Strohs, I have no idea how I can remember that!) Very nice guys, they were thrilled that someone out in Utah knew who they were.

At A Turtles Pace was a great song but better than REM? I don't know about that.
Looks like a bunch of little whiny fucksticks to me

Steve French

Post by Steve French »

elnorte72 wrote:

just my opinion.

Definitely punk in that they were not afraid to slop up the pop. not pop punk (whatever that is) but pop like Big Star only more distorted. Nirvana is to Big Star what the Ramones were to Phil Specter. And yeah, thats about as punk as it gets.

well put.

not sure I agree (or if I don't why I dont, but great summation
I've never taken a pissbreak during a DBT show but if I had it would have been during Dancing Ricky.

Steve French

Post by Steve French »

the only good REM album is Murmur. Just sayin

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Steve French wrote:the only good REM album is Murmur. Just sayin

Did u have a fight w/ your wife last week that u still haven't made up, monsieur francais? You've been really ornery lately :lol: Maybe it's that winter seasonal affective disorder thing. It's really a bad time of year for winter if you ask me.
All opinions and commentary in my posts are solely my own and are made in my personal capacity.

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

elnorte72 wrote:
Tequila Cowboy wrote:

Fireline Road is my fav

Childish Things. McMurtry is the shit.[/quote]

I was actually listening to "Rachel's Song" when I posted that. Amazing.
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

elnorte72

Post by elnorte72 »

Steve French wrote:
elnorte72 wrote:

just my opinion.

well put.

not sure I agree (or if I don't why I dont, but great summation

Thanks. I guess I always saw Seattle grunge as more classic rock based...rooted in the Who Neil and others (with the exception of Mudhoney) What set Nirvana apart for me was their pop sensibility which was born out by Dave Grohl later. The fact that they werent afraid to go there as it were is punk in attitude but they always had the rhythm and harmony of a big star kind of pop.

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Ray Wylie Hubbard's cover of "Choctaw Bingo" equals the original.

Hell, it sounds more like driving down the Will Rogers Turnpike past the Big Cabin Exit and that Indian Smokeshop with them big old smoke rings than McMurty's does.

But the original still kicks hard.

joelle

Post by joelle »

mjk73 wrote:I'm not a fan of Dylan & Springsteen. I find both ponderous and overrated, but that's just me. Don't like it, tough.

speechless.

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

joelle wrote:
mjk73 wrote:I'm not a fan of Dylan & Springsteen. I find both ponderous and overrated, but that's just me. Don't like it, tough.

speechless.

I have to admit I'm fairly new to appreciating Springsteen, and while I love the lyrics/themes of some of his classics, I'm not big on the actual finished product, some of it is a little overblown - but that's a preference issue, I love the Boss and he's a giant in RNR - and for the most part, my fav Bruce albums are most people's least favs - I love Born in the USA and I even like Working on a Dream - Tunnel of Love, Ghost of Tom Joad, etc - Lucky Town is OK, Human Touch not so much

I've said it a million times in threads like these, but I still can't stand U2
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

John Mellencamp, while talented, spent the majority of his career pandering to the stupid with silly pop songs pretending to be deep.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:John Mellencamp, while talented, spent the majority of his career pandering to the stupid with silly pop songs pretending to be deep.

More like received wisdom than blasphemy methinks.

Smitty, Tunnel of Love is imo one of the boss's best. Born in the USA is the one Springsteen snobs love to hate, but everyone else (including me) loves it. I know Tom Joad is better than i give it credit for (which sounds ridiculous i know but makes sense to me) but personally i've never been able to separate it from the horrible show i saw him do in support of it - at a minimum there's no doubting there are some fine songs on there. Springsteen snobs will never be able to separate Human Touch and Lucky Town from the circumstances in which they were made (i.e. w/out the E Street band) [yes dime i know that's called "context" :D ] but the real mistake was making 2 albums - there's one killer album there if the boss had allowed someone to exercise better judgment.
All opinions and commentary in my posts are solely my own and are made in my personal capacity.

Clams

Post by Clams »

just my opinion.

punk band made a punk record that morphed into a pop record

And BTW - I confess that, early on in my DBT love affair, I edited out a few songs in order to combine PD and GB onto one CD. :oops:
If you don't run you rust

joelle

Post by joelle »

Clams wrote:

And BTW - I confess that, early on in my DBT love affair, I edited out a few songs in order to combine PD and GB onto one CD. :oops:

heathen :evil:

mjk73

Post by mjk73 »

You know, I think I agree with you. I never got the whole REM fascination (especially Automatic For The People uuuuuuughhhh).

Clams

Post by Clams »

mjk73 wrote:

You know, I think I agree with you. I never got the whole REM fascination (especially Automatic For The People uuuuuuughhhh).

Automoatic happens to be my favorite REM record. Gotta love this thread.
If you don't run you rust

mjk73

Post by mjk73 »

joelle wrote:

speechless.

Probably stems more from the fact my 2 older brothers love both and I had to share a room with them until I was about 10. I was more with my dad: Beatles/Doors/Who/Stones/Zepplin. Then again, my dad had a strange love for Judus Priest so what the hell do I know.

mjk73

Post by mjk73 »

Clams wrote:
mjk73 wrote:

Automoatic happens to be my favorite REM record. Gotta love this thread.

It's a lot of peoples and I don't get it. I get blasted for my pure hatred of this album all the time but I'm cool with it as I have plenty of crap in my list of favs that people just stare at me with bewilderment and just say "What, the hell?!?!".

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Born in the USA is an incredible album with weak production. Those songs are FANTASTIC.