Music Blasphemy

Know of a great band you think we'd like to hear about? Got some music news? Or just want to talk about music in general? Post it here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Clams

Re: Music Blasphemy

Post by Clams »

The Felice Brothers make me sleeeeepy.
If you don't run you rust

tinnitus photography

Post by tinnitus photography »

joelle wrote:
lajakesdad wrote:Nirvana was just the better band. Call it what you want to .

i saw nirvana open for eleventh dream day in chicago late 80's.
EDD tore the roof off the metro.
how's about them apples?
the fact that EDD never made it big.
that is not blasphemy, that is a travesty.

i remember seeing Rick poke his guitar neck through the suspended ceiling tiles @ TT's.

yeah, they were (are?) a very good band. weird how they didn't hit the big time.

littlemamma

Post by littlemamma »

I own zero Bruce Springsteen
NSFW

Clams

Post by Clams »

littlemamma wrote:I own zero Bruce Springsteen

And yet you hang with FNW???

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

That's ok, the newest album I have from said Boss is nearly thirty years old. :shock:
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

RevMatt

Post by RevMatt »

tinnitus photography wrote:
my favorite 'grunge' bands:

Mudhoney
The Fluid
Das Damen
Screaming Trees
Lubricated Goat

I didn't know we could count Das Damen as grunge since they were NY CBGB's class of '84. But if we can they are number 2 on my list, after Nirvana
I have nowhere else to go. There is no demand in the priesthood for elderly drug addicts

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

And once again, LM has the last word and a thread can be closed. Zero as in NONE???!!!! How is that possible? And you want to talk about dawes???!!! :shock: :shock: :lol: :lol:

I thought the conventional wisdom is that Pearl Jam isn't really a grunge band and it's wrong to lump them in w/ that scene - they're "just" a hard rock band that happened to come out of Seattle at the same time that grunge was making itself known/felt. That's a question.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

dime in the gutter

Post by dime in the gutter »

nirvana was a punk band.

littlemamma

Post by littlemamma »

beantownbubba wrote:

And once again, LM has the last word and a thread can be closed. Zero as in NONE???!!!! How is that possible? And you want to talk about dawes???!!! :shock: :shock: :lol: :lol:

I thought the conventional wisdom is that Pearl Jam isn't really a grunge band and it's wrong to lump them in w/ that scene - they're "just" a hard rock band that happened to come out of Seattle at the same time that grunge was making itself known/felt. That's a question.

fuck! hook a sister up!!!!
NSFW

lajakesdad

Post by lajakesdad »

dime in the gutter wrote:nirvana was a punk band.

EXACTLY

tinnitus photography

Post by tinnitus photography »

RevMatt wrote:
tinnitus photography wrote:
my favorite 'grunge' bands:

Mudhoney
The Fluid
Das Damen
Screaming Trees
Lubricated Goat

I didn't know we could count Das Damen as grunge since they were NY CBGB's class of '84. But if we can they are number 2 on my list, after Nirvana

'grunge' as a label is pretty damn loose to begin with, but i mainly included them since they put out a 7" on Sub Pop :D

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

Pixies>Nirvana
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

Son of Swamp

Post by Son of Swamp »

I though Neil Young was the grandfather of Grunge?
Segalegend.tumblr.com

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

But at least you've seen Casablanca :)

Clams

Post by Clams »

Zip City wrote:I think we can all agree that Steve Earle's cover of "Breed" is awesome

I doubt we can all agree that snow is white.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Ok so since I was kind of provoked into this, I can no longer tolerate Pink Floyd. I was never a fan of The Wall but at one point I could listen to Dark Side Of The Moon, Animals & Wish You Were Here, but no longer. It all annoys me. I can still put on Piper At The Gates of Dawn for Lucifer Sam and Interstellar Overdrive but that's about it.

scotto

Post by scotto »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:Ok so since I was kind of provoked into this, I can no longer tolerate Pink Floyd. I was never a fan of The Wall but at one point I could listen to Dark Side Of The Moon, Animals & Wish You Were Here, but no longer. It all annoys me. I can still put on Piper At The Gates of Dawn for Lucifer Sam and Interstellar Overdrive but that's about it.

I'm with you.
I picked up a copy of Dark Side a few months back, but only because I found a nice cheap original with all the stickers and poster and such.
At the time I thought it was a cool find (I haven't owned any Floyd since high school, circa 1977, when I had a similar original Dark Side and a cassette of Wish I taped from a buddy)--one of those "albums everyone needs to own." But after a couple of listens, I was starkly reminded of why I got rid of it in the first place.
I can appreciate 'em, I just don't dig 'em.

Clams

Post by Clams »

Zip City wrote:Pink Floyd is probably my favorite band of all time

Different strokes, as they say....

And you don't even smoke weed! You should try it, you'd like them a LOT more. :lol:

Clams

Post by Clams »

Zip City wrote:
Clams wrote:

And you don't even smoke weed! You should try it, you'd like them a LOT more. :lol:

I know you're joking, but anytime someone says "band/movie/whatever X is way better on weed/drugs" I give them the biggest :roll: I can muster

I'm not joking.
Last edited by Clams on Thu Apr 29, 2010 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

scotto

Post by scotto »

Clams wrote:

Maybe I should give that a try before I sell my copy.

whatwouldcooleydo?

Post by whatwouldcooleydo? »

I cannot listen to Pink Floyd if the sun is out, it's gotta be nighttime for me to put them on
Son, this ain't a dream no more, it's the real thing

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Zip City wrote:
Clams wrote:

I know you're joking, but anytime someone says "band/movie/whatever X is way better on weed/drugs" I give them the biggest :roll: I can muster

Honestly I think there's validity to it. Back in the day when I'd be in some dim basement with a bunch of people sitting on bean bag chairs passing a J, lights low listening to the trippiest shit we could find, I liked Pink Floyd, King Crimson, Yes and a host of other prog rock. You'd sit there passing the J and look at your buddy and go "Duuuuuude" when some weird noise would pop up or whatever. I haven't listened to music that way in twenty five years, and it's not for lack of umm partaking, but rather just what I look for out of music, and frankly when I first listen to something I almost always do it sober.

Music has to fulfill a few things for me; 1. I have to be able to relate to it on an emotional level in a way that it ether teaches me something, reminds me of a set of feelings or connects to a viewpoint I hold consciously or subconsciously. 2. Alternately to point #1 it could paint a picture in my head like a mini movie. DBT does this for me as do The Hold Steady and others. (some bands hit both points for me others one or the other) 3. Assuming it hits either 1 or 2 it has to do something familiar musically, before doing something unfamiliar. ie. the old saying "you can't break the rules until you know the rules". I'm all for innovation but it has to be based in something real and concrete first before going on a tangent. Wilco is a perfect example. Break Tweedy's songs down to the point where you can play them on acoustic guitar and they're really quite simple. It's the flourishes, not the structure that takes them to other places. 4. If it's rock/folk/country/blues it has to have guitar. Not every song, but the artist band had better be based there or I'm not going to dig it. (jazz has different rules for me.) 5. The vocals have to be interesting. I don't care if the vocalist is rasping it out through cigarette ravaged pipes as long as there's something interesting.

In progressive rock and it's more recent progeny (Radiohead after The Bends comes to mind) I don't find these core things that I need. I can respect it, I can certainly understand it's value to others, but liking it is beyond me.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

You know what Shonna says: There are no rules :)

lajakesdad

Post by lajakesdad »

music (listening, playing, seeing live), movies, food, sex, are all better with weed

i remember one time being in a room, passing a pipe around. My buddy puts on Floyd's Animals album. I was totally tripping out on all these crazy sounds. I had never heard it or haven't since.

dime in the gutter

Post by dime in the gutter »

pre crash skynyrd was far superior to the allman bros as a rock band and I love the allman bros.

whatwouldcooleydo?

Post by whatwouldcooleydo? »

dime in the gutter wrote:pre crash skynyrd was far superior to the allman bros as a rock band and I love the allman bros.

ABB transcended rock, Skynrd didn't..... not that one is better than the other, but different. and I'm a big fan of both, just bigger ABB fan
Son, this ain't a dream no more, it's the real thing

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:
dime in the gutter wrote:pre crash skynyrd was far superior to the allman bros as a rock band and I love the allman bros.

ABB transcended rock, Skynrd didn't..... not that one is better than the other, but different. and I'm a big fan of both, just bigger ABB fan

Skynyrd totally embodied rock in a way that no other band other than the Stones did for me - dirty, raunchy barrroom rock
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

Son of Swamp

Post by Son of Swamp »

i was watching an "educational film" and it had a piece of music i thought was catchy... So i did some research and found it was a New Order song....

So, i watched a few videos... and i feel very bad about this... but i kinda like them... Hows that for Blasphemy (i also secretly enjoy Tears for fears...)

I'll go delete my account now :(

j/k
Segalegend.tumblr.com

scotto

Post by scotto »

Son of Swamp wrote:i was watching an "educational film" and it had a piece of music i thought was catchy... So i did some research and found it was a New Order song....

So, i watched a few videos... and i feel very bad about this... but i kinda like them... Hows that for Blasphemy (i also secretly enjoy Tears for fears...)

j/k

It's not blasphemy to like what you like. There's some great New Order stuff, no reason to feel bad about liking it.
But now, Tears for Fears, I don't know.

Clams

Post by Clams »

Son of Swamp wrote:So, i watched a few videos... and i feel very bad about this... but i kinda like them... Hows that for Blasphemy (i also secretly enjoy Tears for fears...)

j/k

Its okay man, sometimes you just have to shout shout, let it all out.