RIP Levon Helm

Know of a great band you think we'd like to hear about? Got some music news? Or just want to talk about music in general? Post it here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

211poundsofpork

Re: RIP Levon Helm

Post by 211poundsofpork »

Nothing much else to say that you guys haven't already mentioned as I've been soaking in the posts the past couple of days about Levon. Really touched by Robertson's comments as well. Just a real emotional day today following the sad news. What to do now? Let the music play...

tinnitus photography

Post by tinnitus photography »

Zip City wrote:I regret that I missed my chance to see The Band. They were opening for The Grateful Dead at Soldier Field (the last ever Dead show, as it turned out) but we decided to hang in the parking lot rather than see The Band play.

two bad decisions were made that day.

bovine knievel

Post by bovine knievel »

Wolfgang's Vault remembers Levon.
“Excited people get on daddy’s nerves.” - M. Cooley

LuthierJustin

Post by LuthierJustin »

I remember riding in the car with my parents and brother and my mom and brother were watching this movie in the back, I get car sick s I was sitting up front, and this really gruff voice comes on and I turned back and looked at my brother and he was like "yeah, its Levon Helm"
LJ: 3DD's resident hipster

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

tinnitus photography wrote:
Zip City wrote:I regret that I missed my chance to see The Band. They were opening for The Grateful Dead at Soldier Field (the last ever Dead show, as it turned out) but we decided to hang in the parking lot rather than see The Band play.

two bad decisions were made that day.

I've never been a Dead fan, and that concert didn't change my mind. It was a total bore. Should've watched The Band and skipped the Dead
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

Steve French

Post by Steve French »

LuthierJustin wrote:
I remember riding in the car with my parents and brother and my mom and brother were watching this movie in the back, I get car sick s I was sitting up front, and this really gruff voice comes on and I turned back and looked at my brother and he was like "yeah, its Levon Helm"

I just came on to post that clip: I really enjoyed that film.
I've never taken a pissbreak during a DBT show but if I had it would have been during Dancing Ricky.

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

scotto

Post by scotto »

Very cool.
I grew up in Northwest Arkansas (about 20 minutes from Fayetteville) and I remember a huge billboard of The Band's second album gracing College Avenue when I was a kid in 1969-70.

Rocky

Post by Rocky »

Robert Earl King's song about the man

http://video.pbs.org/video/1618751533/
By the time you drop them I'll be gone
And you'll be right where they fall the rest of your life

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Just curious and very much hoping this doesn't accidentally push the wrong hot button: It seems that the world has settled on "The Weight" as Levon's signature tune as far as being the song that seems to accompany a lot of the tributes/obits and of course it was the song DBT chose to play (wonderfully) last nite. But if i had to pick one my first impulse would be "The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down." To me that's always been virtually synonymous w/ Levon Helm. Any thoughts on why it seems to be the one and not the other?

FWIW, I was reminded yesterday of a terrific version of "The Weight" by Ringo Starr's Traveling All Stars which is on the Levon collection The Ties That Bind. Levon takes 3 verses, Dr. John and Rick Danko take the other 2 and Clarence Clemons and Nils Lofgren make nice contributions as well.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

cortez the killer

Post by cortez the killer »

I probably prefer "TNTDODD" over "The Weight" as well bubba. However, "The Weight" just might be one of the most recognizable, iconic songs in rock history. Then again, what the fuck do I know?
You are entitled to your opinion, but you are not entitled to your own facts.
- DPM

cortez the killer

"When I heard the Band's Music from Big Pink, their music changed my life. And Levon was a big part of that band. Nigel Olson, my drummer, will tell you that every drummer that heard him was influenced by him. He was the greatest drummer and a wonderful singer and just a part of my life that was magical. They once flew down to see me in Philadelphia and I couldn't believe it. They were one of the greatest bands of all time. They really changed the face of music when their records came out. I had no idea he was sick so I'm very dismayed and shocked that he died so quickly. But now my son [Zachary Jackson Levon Furnish-John] has his name."
- Elton John
- DPM

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

cortez the killer wrote:I probably prefer "TNTDODD" over "The Weight" as well bubba. However, "The Weight" just might be one of the most recognizable, iconic songs in rock history. Then again, what the fuck do I know?

This.

I prefer The Weight. It may be cliche, but it really is one of the best songs of all time.

John A Arkansawyer

What bugged me about the NYT obituary was, well, just about everything. Levon's post-Band career is a footnote; the photo is an old photo of The Band; the headline uses the phrase "rough-throated singer". The first of those things is Jon Pareles' fault and the rest is probably not.

beantownbubba wrote:Just curious and very much hoping this doesn't accidentally push the wrong hot button: It seems that the world has settled on "The Weight" as Levon's signature tune as far as being the song that seems to accompany a lot of the tributes/obits and of course it was the song DBT chose to play (wonderfully) last nite. But if i had to pick one my first impulse would be "The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down." To me that's always been virtually synonymous w/ Levon Helm. Any thoughts on why it seems to be the one and not the other?

I have some thoughts on "The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down" which I'll keep to myself for now, but I will say this: When I drove my young daughter to school in the morning and played that CD, I hit skip on that song. I don't want her to have the tight emotional attachment I have to it.

Now, "The Weight" is universal. The setting and the specific characters seem very south to me, but it's still a story that could be told anywhere, by anyone. Consider how many people have covered it and how many styles it adapts itself to. To use an overused concept, it's mythic.

That said, the Band song I think of when I think of Levon is "Up On Cripple Creek". It's a happy song about drinking and screwing and loving. What's so interesting to me about me, though, is how the Dirt Farmer CD is becoming how I think most of Levon on record.

beantownbubba wrote:FWIW, I was reminded yesterday of a terrific version of "The Weight" by Ringo Starr's Traveling All Stars which is on the Levon collection The Ties That Bind. Levon takes 3 verses, Dr. John and Rick Danko take the other 2 and Clarence Clemons and Nils Lofgren make nice contributions as well.

Ringo has great taste in musicians and is underrated himself. I've long regretted not seeing any of those tours.
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

John A Arkansawyer

cortez the killer

- DPM

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

On the right day I may very well call The Weight the greatest song ever written. I'm pretty certain I've said that here before. Even more than that is the fact the song is nearly universally known among musicians. For that reason alone I feel that it is the perfect tribute to Levon.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:On the right day I may very well call The Weight the greatest song ever written. I'm pretty certain I've said that here before. Even more than that is the fact the song is nearly universally known among musicians. For that reason alone I feel that it is the perfect tribute to Levon.

I'd have to agree with you on all of this.

The Weight is almost the perfect embodiment of what rock and roll is supposed to mean.

Clams

Post by Clams »

scotto wrote:

Very cool.
I grew up in Northwest Arkansas (about 20 minutes from Fayetteville) and I remember a huge billboard of The Band's second album gracing College Avenue when I was a kid in 1969-70.

Seeing that pic makes me wonder how anyone can question whether they're an "American" band.
Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Iowan wrote:
The Weight is almost the perfect embodiment of what rock and roll is supposed to mean.

Can you explain this, please?
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

one belt loop

Post by one belt loop »

Iowan wrote:
Tequila Cowboy wrote:On the right day I may very well call The Weight the greatest song ever written. I'm pretty certain I've said that here before. Even more than that is the fact the song is nearly universally known among musicians. For that reason alone I feel that it is the perfect tribute to Levon.

I'd have to agree with you on all of this.

Plus so many people have this huge emotional attachment to the song, not just in regards to Levon, but to their entire lives. As Mr. Arkansawyer said, it could be happening anywhere in the world, anywhere the Devil is hanging out. The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down is quite specific in time and place, and I think that makes a difference.

It's just so LOVED. I am pretty sure that every person in the place sang that first verse along with Patterson last night (and most of them probably didn't mangle the lyrics. *ahem*).

I have been listening to The Weight to help me get out my tears (the "won't you feed him when you can" line always makes me cry, anyway), but when I want to boogie with Levon, it's Ophelia all the way.
Matt playing like an evil motherfucker w/ rhythm with a capital MPLAEMWR.

- bubba

Rocky

Post by Rocky »

Clams wrote:Seeing that pic makes me wonder how anyone can question whether they're an "American" band.
The Band most definitely sang and played Americana but I consider them a Canadian band. Can we still be freinds?
By the time you drop them I'll be gone
And you'll be right where they fall the rest of your life

RevMatt

Post by RevMatt »

Probably too early to speculate on this but a friend and I were talking about it yesterday. Do you think Levon's wife and daughter will continue hosting The Ramble? It wouldn't be the same without Levon but it is such a great concept. Maybe do it with guest hosts.
I have nowhere else to go. There is no demand in the priesthood for elderly drug addicts

RolanK
Location: drivin' home early Sunday morning through Bakersfield

Post by RolanK »

I got a "Best of" album with the Band years ago, but didn't really pay much attention to it. Then, years later I bought a copy of "The Last Waltz" DVD, and my perception of music changed. That's when it all started.

Thank you Levon, for the Music. May you rest in peace.
Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa

cortez the killer

Rocky wrote:Can we still be freinds?

We can if you acknowledge that Elvis, not Robert Earl, was "The King."
- DPM

bovine knievel

Post by bovine knievel »

OBL wrote:I have been listening to The Weight to help me get out my tears (the "won't you feed him when you can" line always makes me cry, anyway), but when I want to boogie with Levon, it's Ophelia all the way.

Ophelia makes me want to boogie too.

bovine knievel

Post by bovine knievel »

cortez the killer wrote:
Rocky wrote:Can we still be freinds?

We can if you acknowledge that Elvis, not Robert Earl, was "The King."

:lol:

Penny Lane

Post by Penny Lane »

RevMatt wrote:Probably too early to speculate on this but a friend and I were talking about it yesterday. Do you think Levon's wife and daughter will continue hosting The Ramble? It wouldn't be the same without Levon but it is such a great concept. Maybe do it with guest hosts.

i think they've got a really amazing thing going..and since Levon's only been singing a handful of songs in the past couple years, i don't see why they can't keep some sort of Ramble going...i hope they keep his home a museum and studio, too
In my blood, there's gasoline..

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

beantownbubba wrote:
Iowan wrote:

No.

I'm not being obtuse, I'm just not sure how to put these thoughts into words.

one belt loop

Post by one belt loop »

Iowan wrote:
beantownbubba wrote:
Iowan wrote:

No.

I'm not being obtuse, I'm just not sure how to put these thoughts into words.

See "huge emotional attachment," above
Matt playing like an evil motherfucker w/ rhythm with a capital MPLAEMWR.

- bubba