RIP Levon Helm

Know of a great band you think we'd like to hear about? Got some music news? Or just want to talk about music in general? Post it here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

John A Arkansawyer

Re: RIP Levon Helm

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

Smitty wrote:http://theband.hiof.no/articles/the_weight_viney.html

more than you ever wanted to know about "the weight".

For versions of "know" that include "speculate".
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

Bernie Taupin wrote this remembrance on his website:

"The first time I heard Levon Helm's voice was in a small record shop on Berwick Street in Soho London sometime around 1969. What was it like? Paul on the road to Damascus!

"Oh, I guess I just want to say all these things about the earth and granite of his being, the raw Appalachian timber of his voice and the powerful sway of his backbeat. The throb of his tom-toms the first time I heard 'Tears Of Rage' and that wicked, knowing smile recounting tales of Carney barkers and backwater medicine shows. I'm thinking about him behind that economical kit, the way he hunched his shoulders and turned into the mike like a coiled spring when he sang.

"He was one of three great singers in The Band, three of the greatest singers in any band, and the last of those three to leave us. What other band under God's great Heaven gave us a trio of such eloquent and awesome sonic tools? Richard Manuel had an otherworldly voice, ethereal and legitimately spooky in the best way possible. Rick Danko, with whom I spent some questionably manic moments and cerebral hours and whom I loved dearly, sang like an unfettered young buck, all tremulous beauty and with poignant longing. Anyone doubting this just listen to his vocal on 'It Makes No Difference' from the 'The Last Waltz' soundtrack, one of the best live vocal performances I've ever heard.

"Then there was Levon: a voice that seemed as it was birthed from the land from which he sprung. Rich as Arkansas soil and raw as a plug of tobacco, gnarly as knotted pine and so expressive it seemed like he was chewing on the words before they left his mouth. Now he's gone and our anemic musical horizon has one less icon to cling to and one more legacy to embrace.

"We're blessed that he battled his illness and conquered it for a spell, pushed back the inevitable, stuck up his hand and like some hard scrabble farmer in a gothic Southern novel said “Whoa boy, I ain't done ploughin'.”

"He participated in some of the greatest music I've ever heard and because of him and the boys in The Band, my soul is clearer of musical debris and tuned into the lyrical soul of the American heartland and the soul of Appalachia.

"If I'm any good at what I do, it's because he inspired me to be better.

"Sleep with angels, Levon. Say hi to the boys, and see you in church."

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

John A Arkansawyer wrote:

thee's more to that piece than just the interpretations.
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

one belt loop

RIP Levon Helm

Post by one belt loop »

cortez the killer wrote:
Slipkid42 wrote:One that I love nearly as much is Acadian Driftwood. Levon really shines on that one too.

Yes! I love that song.

Me, too!

And I like the Roches cover of it, too.
Matt playing like an evil motherfucker w/ rhythm with a capital MPLAEMWR.

- bubba

lotusamerica

Post by lotusamerica »

One of my solo favorites is his last song.

I wish I knew how it would feel to be free
I wish I could break all of they chains they holding me
And I wish I could say all the things that I should say
Say it loud, say it clear for the whole round world to hear

I wish I could share all the love that's in my heart
And remove all the doubt that keep us apart
I wish you could know what it means to be me
Then you'd see and agree that every man should be free

I wish I could give all I'm longin' to give
I wish I could live like I'm longin' to live
And I wish I could do all the things that I can do
Though I'm way overdue I'd be starting anew

And I wish I could be like a bird in the sky
How sweet it would be if I found out I could fly
I'd soar to the sun and look down at the trees
And I'd sing 'cause I know how it feels to be free
And I'd sing 'cause I know, and I'd sing 'cause I know
And I'd sing 'cause I know how it feels to be free

cortez the killer

Post by cortez the killer »

ramonz wrote:"Why do all the best things always disappear?"

Get this and listen to it - some of Levon's best performances, you'll find. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Legend_of_Jesse_James

You ain't lyin'.
You are entitled to your opinion, but you are not entitled to your own facts.
- DPM

bovine knievel

Post by bovine knievel »

Bernie Taupin wrote:"Then there was Levon: a voice that seemed as it was birthed from the land from which he sprung. Rich as Arkansas soil and raw as a plug of tobacco, gnarly as knotted pine and so expressive it seemed like he was chewing on the words before they left his mouth. Now he's gone and our anemic musical horizon has one less icon to cling to and one more legacy to embrace.

This!
“Excited people get on daddy’s nerves.” - M. Cooley

one belt loop

Post by one belt loop »

I hope he knew. Take this little board and multiply all this love by many thousands...I hope he knew.

- bubba

John A Arkansawyer

one belt loop wrote:I hope he knew. Take this little board and multiply all this love by many thousands...I hope he knew.

I figure he did and I'll tell you why. (I'd been looking for an excuse to tell this story anyway.)

If memory serves, it was May 31, 1986, when I passed up a clear shot at getting laid that night and instead took a bus and then a plane into Manhattan to catch the second set of the last night of a three-night run of The Band at the Lone Star Cafe at Fifth and Thirteenth in Manhattan. I paid my ticket and took my suitcase into the club and stood as close as I could get to the stage, right in front of Levon. It was so wonderful watching and hearing them, and especially getting a close-up look at him as he played and sang.

It wasn't a very long set and I didn't want to leave when it was over. I had my press ID from Fayetteville's one really great weekly, The Grapevine, for which I wrote about music and other stuff for five years, so I went over to the stairwell leading up to where the musicians hung out and the offices were located, handed it to one of the security guys, and asked, "Would you take this up to Levon and see if he feels like hanging out with someone from back home for a little while. I'm not here to write or anything, just to enjoy the show."

A little while later, he came down and took me up to the roof, where Levon was. I said hello and introduced myself. He had on his sheriff's cap from The Man Outside, the movie he and the other three Band members (Robbie having left) were in, the one shot in Fayetteville. We hung out and talked for maybe half an hour, just shot the shit and looked out over the city. I don't recall what was said, just that we talked and that I felt good about it. Then I left. The cat from Connecticut who'd played harmonica with them that night gave me a ride to where I was staying on his way home.

I'd spent much of that year on the road myself and knew how I felt when I ran into someone from back home, and I thought he might enjoy a talk like that. I think he did--I hope he did--and I certainly felt honored that he let me hang out. It was a very high time for me.

I'm not the only person I know who had a similar experience. My friend Scooter (who is a story worth telling all his own) was with (if I remember right) Earl Cate's first wife--she and Scooter worked together at a restaurant--when they fell in with Levon and Rick Danko in the lounge of a now-gone hotel in Fayetteville and ended up at Levon's parents' house in Springdale, where there was a family cookout happening, complete with a casual jam. They even stopped by Scooter's place so he could pick up that old copy of Music at Big Pink I'd sold him so he could get it signed.

So, based on that story and my one brief encounter, why do I figure he knew people loved him? Because he was open to it. He let this totally non-Arkansas looking guy (big ragged dreadlocks, bushy beard, and probably the paisley vest I'd bought on the street in San Fran that year) hang out with him on the claim that he was from back home. While I hope he enjoyed talking with me, or was at least amused by me, the pleasure was really mine. It was a very kind thing for him to do for me, and I believe kind people are most open to perceiving the love and kindness of others.
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

cortez the killer

- DPM

cortez the killer

Smitty wrote:
John A Arkansawyer wrote:

thee's more to that piece than just the interpretations.

"Official"?
- DPM

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

CBS Sunday Morning just had a really nice piece on Levon. Talking about his resurgence in the last ten years:

"In the whole history of Rock & Roll no one ever had a greater encore"

Perfect.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:CBS Sunday Morning just had a really nice piece on Levon. Talking about his resurgence in the last ten years:

Perfect.

Here's the feature if you missed it:

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-3445_162-57 ... us-encore/
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

LuthierJustin

Post by LuthierJustin »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:
Tequila Cowboy wrote:CBS Sunday Morning just had a really nice piece on Levon. Talking about his resurgence in the last ten years:

Perfect.

Was just gonna post this
LJ: 3DD's resident hipster

Rocky

Post by Rocky »

“We get so used to hearing versions of the thing. Levon is the thing.” - Bruce Springsteen
By the time you drop them I'll be gone
And you'll be right where they fall the rest of your life

Beebs

Post by Beebs »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:

Perfect.

Thanks TC. That was great.

It's so great to keep seeing these demonstrations of just how much he's meant to so many people.
Beebs is not a ragey man

bovine knievel

Post by bovine knievel »

forgot he played Loretta Lynn's dad in Coal Miner's Daughter

“Excited people get on daddy’s nerves.” - M. Cooley

one belt loop

Post by one belt loop »

bovine knievel wrote:forgot he played Loretta Lynn's dad in Coal Miner's Daughter

I didn't! Might have to watch that again - it's been many years.

- bubba

John A Arkansawyer

John A Arkansawyer

From levonhelm.com:

Services for Levon

Thursday, April 26, 2012

Levon’s friends & fans are invited to pay their final respects on Thursday, April 26, 2012 between the hours of 10 a.m. and 3 p.m. at his home/studio in Woodstock. Personal vehicles will not be permitted at the studio, however. Parking will be available at 3 locations in Woodstock: The Woodstock Playhouse 103 Mill Hill Road, Woodstock, Cucina Woodstock, 109 Mill Hill Road and Andy Lee Field, Rock City Road, Woodstock.

Buses will run continuously between 10 and 3 from Andy Lee Field and from The Woodstock Playhouse.

Thank you, all, for your kindness and respect for privacy during this very emotional time.

dime in the gutter

Post by dime in the gutter »

how bout him and garth being neighbors for 30 plus years?

jack ridley/the right stuff

Penny Lane

Post by Penny Lane »

i saved the obit from the NY Times---gonna frame it with the Beacon Poster from a couple years ago..I wish they would have made Ramble posters from the DBT show..
In my blood, there's gasoline..

Beebs

Post by Beebs »

Beebs is not a ragey man

B-rad G

Post by B-rad G »

Since Levon's death, many of his live recordings have been posted on dime-a-dozen. I've noticed that he rarely plays "The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down". Can anyone shed any light as to why?

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

Real nice write up in The New York Times about the wake held out at Levon's place in Woodstock earlier today. Hopefully the Rambles will continue in some form or fashion.

Thousands Remember Levon Helm of The Band In Woodstock

Suzanne DeChillo/The New York Times
Mourners at the wake for Levon Helm, former drummer and singer for the Band, held in Woodstock, N.Y., on Thursday.

cortez the killer

I'm jealous of that dude's goatee.
- DPM

John A Arkansawyer

REST IN PEACE, LEVON: Music fills the air in Woodstock as Helm is buried (with slideshow)

The first picture alone is worth the click.

PAUL KIRBY
Freeman staff wrote:

Click to enlarge

WOODSTOCK , N.Y.— Musician Levon Helm was laid to rest on a cemetery ridge Friday, eight days after his death, as the sounds of Dixieland jazz, singing and drumbeats pierced the afternoon sky.

Hundreds of people lined the streets in the center of town, some for three hours, waiting for Helm’s funeral procession to make its way from his home on Plochmann Lane, where a private service was held, to the Woodstock Cemetery on Rock City Road, where he was buried next to Rick Danko, a fellow member of The Band.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Willie Loman would be jealous.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

Rocky

Post by Rocky »

John A Arkansawyer wrote:REST IN PEACE, LEVON: Music fills the air in Woodstock as Helm is buried (with slideshow)

The first picture alone is worth the click.

Thanks for posting that John.
By the time you drop them I'll be gone
And you'll be right where they fall the rest of your life

Clams

Post by Clams »

Is it me or is this version devoid of all joy? Nice that he covered it, but the tightness of the delivery seems contrary to the song and the sentiment.

Sorry if I'm coming off like Zip City!
Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck