RIP Levon Helm

Know of a great band you think we'd like to hear about? Got some music news? Or just want to talk about music in general? Post it here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Kudzu Guillotine

Re: RIP Levon Helm

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

blackwll wrote:

http://movies.yahoo.com/movie/ain-t-in- ... /trailers/

Director Jacob Hatley's intimate documentary finds Mr. Helm at home in Woodstock, NY, in the midst of creating his first studio album in 25 years. Shot during the course of two-plus years, this highly anticipated film focuses in on the four-time Grammy winner and Rock and Roll Hall of Fame member after his 2007 comeback album, Dirt Farmer, brought him back to the spotlight.

Out April 19th

Thanks for the heads up. Lots of good rock docs out now including ones on Drivin' n' Cryin' and the Gourds. Thing is, some of them never make it onto DVD once they've made the rounds on the film festival circuit. I mentioned it in another thread but I found the new Big Star documentary to be especially well done. I think it comes out on DVD in the fall. That Muscle Shoals one looks real good too.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Levon left us 1 year ago today. Still stings.

We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Thanks, TC!!! That "Cripple Creek" clip is fantastic (haven't watched the other one yet). They're so young!! And Garth's smile at about 2:30 and Robbie's at 3:45, well... great moments in rock n roll. :D
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

211poundsofpork

Post by 211poundsofpork »

Been listening to Levon-related stuff all week. Yesterday, I had Levon Helm and the RCO All-Stars album ('77) on. This weekend sometime, I really want to see The Last Waltz. Have not seen that in a long while. Sheddin' a tear.

jr29

Post by jr29 »

211poundsofpork wrote:Been listening to Levon-related stuff all week. Yesterday, I had Levon Helm and the RCO All-Stars album ('77) on. This weekend sometime, I really want to see The Last Waltz. Have not seen that in a long while. Sheddin' a tear.

What a great band on that RCO album....Steve Cropper, Duck Dunn, Dr John, Paul Butterfield, nice horn section. Levon really belts out the vocals too.

Clams

Post by Clams »

Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

Barely_Oakely

Post by Barely_Oakely »

Clams wrote:

HAHA! That just made my day. Thank you Clams.
"Allman Brother's up and windows down." LB3

211poundsofpork

Post by 211poundsofpork »

Finally saw this documentary last night. It was on a station called AXIS? tv. Excellent job. Just another sampling of Levon, Rick, Richard, Robbie, and Garth that reminds me why The Band is one of my favorites of all time.

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

A new poem from Philip Martin:

Levon and Robbie
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

I'd rather not think about the circumstances that led to my missing this show. But you shouldn't miss these two songs, which are excerpted from a multi-camera shoot of the whole damn thing!

The Story Everybody Knows

Rag Mama Rag (currently on the front page--I'll change the link when they do)
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

jr29

Post by jr29 »

John A Arkansawyer wrote:I'd rather not think about the circumstances that led to my missing this show. But you shouldn't miss these two songs, which are excerpted from a multi-camera shoot of the whole damn thing!

The Story Everybody Knows

Rag Mama Rag (currently on the front page--I'll change the link when they do)

Good stuff. Garth doing a nice Jerry Lee piano kick. I've never seen him that animated.

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

Remembering Levon. Born on this day in 1940, he passed away at the age of 71 in 2012. This is from the new album with Mavis Staples, Carry Me Home.

jr29

Post by jr29 »

Kudzu Guillotine wrote:
Thu May 26, 2022 8:18 am
Remembering Levon. Born on this day in 1940, he passed away at the age of 71 in 2012. This is from the new album with Mavis Staples, Carry Me Home.

Levon has been on my mind a lot lately. I've been working a good bit in the Arkansas delta and I've gone through Marvell, his hometown, several times in the last couple months. They have turned his boyhood home into a museum/cultural center type thing. I plan to stop there for a visit before too awful long.