Lee Bains III & The Glory Fires

Know of a great band you think we'd like to hear about? Got some music news? Or just want to talk about music in general? Post it here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

RevMatt

Re: Lee Bains III & The Glory Fires

Post by RevMatt »

Pays to have friends in high places. Somebody with pull -- I won't drop the name but if you watch Saturday Night Live this week the person who gave me the location will be on the show -- contacted Lee Bains for me and I got the address. I am psyched for this show!
I have nowhere else to go. There is no demand in the priesthood for elderly drug addicts

Van

Post by Van »

RevMatt wrote:Pays to have friends in high places. Somebody with pull -- I won't drop the name but if you watch Saturday Night Live this week the person who gave me the location will be on the show -- contacted Lee Bains for me and I got the address. I am psyched for this show!

Cool! You are going to have a great time. I wish I didn't have to work tonight.

emandrisdad

Post by emandrisdad »

Is that Ray Capping from Youth of Today and Shelter?

RevMatt

Post by RevMatt »

I didn't see him there but I believe they are referencing him by calling it Ray Cappo's Cantina. It is an underground house party featuring touring bands on nights like Sunday, Monday or Tues when they might be stuck without a show. They put the band up and have a small show in the basement. There were about 25 people there tonight. My son and I were the only non-Rutgers students in attendence. The Glory Fires played a short but very rocking set. These guys remind me of Twin Tone era Replacements and the great Southern Rock bands of yore. I am going to catch them again on Saturday night at Maxwells in Hoboken. These guys really bring it. And a super bunch of nice guys.
I have nowhere else to go. There is no demand in the priesthood for elderly drug addicts

sg207

Post by sg207 »

That's awesome, RevMatt! Glad you enjoyed it!
Just put the goddamn record on and enjoy it

RevMatt

Post by RevMatt »

I am going to see Lee Bains iii tonight at Maxwell's on the 20th anniversary of my first date with my ex! I took her to Maxwell's. 20 years later I am still paying for that date. Needless to say, tonight I'm going stag. I've learned my lesson.

BTW, Tanya Donelly solo was who we saw on our first date.

cortez the killer

Post by cortez the killer »

RevMatt wrote:BTW, Tanya Donelly solo was who we saw on our first date.

She play "Feed the Tree"?
You are entitled to your opinion, but you are not entitled to your own facts.
- DPM

RevMatt

Post by RevMatt »

cortez the killer wrote:
RevMatt wrote:BTW, Tanya Donelly solo was who we saw on our first date.

She play "Feed the Tree"?

Honestly, I don't remember what she played. Too busy trying to figure out the best way to put the moves on my ex. Maybe I should have concentrated more on the show. If I blew that first date everything would have been different... But what am I saying. I love my sons and am very proud of the young men they've become.

RevMatt

Post by RevMatt »

Just back from seeing The Glory Fires at Maxwells in Hoboken. They tore the roof off the sucka'! I was screaming, hollering and stomping my boots. Haven't seen a band with that much energy in decades. I was floored.

Maxwells is an historic room. Before the show I was chatting with the drummer, telling him how the scene there started with The Feelies and The Bongos and how Steve Fallon had a knack for bringing in important bands from out of town for their first gigs in the New York area. That Husker Du, The 'Mats, REM, The Dream Syndicate and Wire all played Maxwells. Well, you can add Lee Bains iii and The Glory Fires to that list.

If you haven't seen these guys yet, do yourselves a favor. Catch them while they are still playing the small rooms.

BigTom
Site Admin

Post by BigTom »

Saw them in Richmond last night with lotusamerica and Mark Lynn. Best 5 bucks I've ever spent. One of the loudest, high energy shows I have ever seen. Sadly there were only about 15 people there. Don't miss these guys if they come around your area.
Tumble down shack in Bigfoot County

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

BigTom wrote:Saw them in Richmond last night with lotusamerica and Mark Lynn. Best 5 bucks I've ever spent. One of the loudest, high energy shows I have ever seen. Sadly there were only about 15 people there. Don't miss these guys if they come around your area.

After they played to about 12 people in Chapel Hill last September I've been campaigning to get some people out to their show tonight at Slim's in Raleigh. Unfortunately, a Tuesday night show is a very tough sell, especially when it's on the same night as Patterson in nearby Carrboro.

ScottyC

Post by ScottyC »

Kudzu Guillotine wrote:
BigTom wrote:Saw them in Richmond last night with lotusamerica and Mark Lynn. Best 5 bucks I've ever spent. One of the loudest, high energy shows I have ever seen. Sadly there were only about 15 people there. Don't miss these guys if they come around your area.

After they played to about 12 people in Chapel Hill last September I've been campaigning to get some people out to their show tonight at Slim's in Raleigh. Unfortunately, a Tuesday night show is a very tough sell, especially when it's on the same night as Patterson in nearby Carrboro.

I will be there. Wont get there until prob 10 but at least one more supporter.

Kudzu Guillotine

ScottyC wrote:
Kudzu Guillotine wrote:

I will be there. Wont get there until prob 10 but at least one more supporter.

Hold down the fort. I'll be hightailing it back to Raleigh just as soon as Patterson finishes. Unplug an amp to delay the show a little if you have to. Surely they're aware of tonight's conflict. On the other hand I know that it's a school night and most folks are going to want to be home at a reasonable hour.

RolanK
Location: drivin' home early Sunday morning through Bakersfield

Post by RolanK »

They just got a short piece in one of Norway's largest newspapers.

It's in Norwegian, but there some hefty name dropping going on there...
Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa

one belt loop

Post by one belt loop »

RolanK wrote:They just got a short piece in one of Norway's largest newspapers.

It's in Norwegian, but there some hefty name dropping going on there...

Here's a bit from an online translator (and there for clunky and possibly inaccurate, but I think the meaning here is clear):

Sure enough, their three quarters year old debut album "There Is A Bomb in Gilead" outstanding, but in real life they are several notches higher, dirtier and more dangerous - and ridiculously much better than the band they have toured most associated with here in the United States, Alabama Shakes.

That's what I've been saying.
Matt playing like an evil motherfucker w/ rhythm with a capital MPLAEMWR.

- bubba

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

You sure that wasn't in Swedish? That guy sounds a lot like Shuffle.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

RevMatt

Post by RevMatt »

A read a translation of that article. And y'all accuse me of hyperbole. :lol:

These guys are a great band. The fact that most nights they are playing to less than thirty people does not negate this. Go out and support them. Tell your friends about them. This is the point in their career where every person who shows up and every t-shirt sale makes a difference. Your support matters.

Kudzu Guillotine

I recommended their show at Slim's in Raleigh last night to several friends, none of whom were disappointed with what they witnessed. As for the Alabama Shakes comparison, with all due respect, what Lee Bains III and the Glory Fires do is much more up my musical alley. That said, I wish both bands all the luck in the world.

Van

Post by Van »

I was so blown away by the show at the Mercury Lounge. I still haven't stopped talking about it. I can't wait to see them again.

RolanK

Post by RolanK »

RevMatt wrote:A read a translation of that article. And y'all accuse me of hyperbole. :lol:

The journalist who wrote this is, well, a moron, like most of his kind here in my neck of the woods. Maybe I have to moderate my impresson of him since he appears to have finally discovered a good band all by himself. I am a bit afraid that it may actually reflect negatively on the band over here since it's this guy who is one of the first to write about them. Not going to de-rail this thread to talk about the music press, but things are in a sad state over here. Quoting one of my first posts on this forum just after I joined:

RolanK wrote:
Now, I've been a regular at music festivals and rock shows here in Scandinavia since late in the eighties. Twenty years ago americana/alt.country (or whatever you want to call it) and its derivatives was a big thing over here and we got to see a lot of great (but small) artists from overseas. But nowadays playlists at radio stations are so formatted - even the ones that are supposed to be "alternative" - and "in sync" with whatever is officially accepted as hip or cool by the music press over here (they get their opinions form Pitchfork as single source). Needless to say this is also reflecting onto the booking of the concert venues. The whole thing is like a cartel. Unfortunately for me - and a few others - the "cartel" has decided that DBT and "similar sounding" artists are not "approved", and hence they receive no radio air play and no press whatsoever....
Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa

one belt loop

Post by one belt loop »

Kudzu Guillotine wrote:I recommended their show at Slim's in Raleigh last night to several friends, none of whom were disappointed with what they witnessed. As for the Alabama Shakes comparison, with all due respect, what Lee Bains III and the Glory Fires do is much more up my musical alley. That said, I wish both bands all the luck in the world.

This is really what I've been trying to say. I do wish the Shakes well...but I'd rather spend my time and money at a Glory Fires show.

- bubba

RevMatt

Post by RevMatt »

one belt loop wrote:
Kudzu Guillotine wrote:I recommended their show at Slim's in Raleigh last night to several friends, none of whom were disappointed with what they witnessed. As for the Alabama Shakes comparison, with all due respect, what Lee Bains III and the Glory Fires do is much more up my musical alley. That said, I wish both bands all the luck in the world.

This is really what I've been trying to say. I do wish the Shakes well...but I'd rather spend my time and money at a Glory Fires show.

No reason why you can't have both. A Glory Fires show is only five bucks. The Shakes are a little more expensive than they were a year ago but still quite reasonable. It isn't like having to choose between paying $250 for The Stones or Springsteen.

one belt loop

Post by one belt loop »

RevMatt wrote:
one belt loop wrote:

No reason why you can't have both. A Glory Fires show is only five bucks. The Shakes are a little more expensive than they were a year ago but still quite reasonable. It isn't like having to choose between paying $250 for The Stones or Springsteen.

Ok, then I'd really just rather spend my time at a Glory Fires show. Because wishing them well doesn't actually equate into wanting to see them live again. I was bored.

- bubba

Kudzu Guillotine

I went to see the Shakes open for the North Mississippi Allstars on the strength of the hype I'd heard, mainly from the DBTs contingent here and elsewhere. I enjoyed the show and thought they were really good live but when they came back through last Spring with a headlining gig at the Cat's Cradle in Carrboro with the Glory Fires opening, I passed. Not sure why but I did. Probably because they didn't interest me enough to see them in a headlining capacity. I think the Glory Fires made some fans that night as well but evidently they didn't come on as strong opening for the Shakes as they did when they headlined their own show at a nearly empty Local 506 last September. The record is good but what sold me on the Glory Fires was how much ass they kicked during their live show. The fact that they played as though there was a full house only helped to endear them to me further. For some bands, playing to 12 people is cause for disappointment and it shows in their performance. For others, the sort of enthusiasm the Glory Fires showed is an act but I didn't get that impression with them, it felt very genuine to me.

rlipps

Post by rlipps »

Kudzu, I got the same vibe you did after seeing them play for a nearly empty venue back in the fall in Knoxville. I don't think for one minute it was an act, they played their hearts out and if you had just saw the stage, you'd have thought there were 1000 people in the place. Lee and Matt were also two of the nicest musicians I've ever met as well. Lee came up after I had left the merch table and introduced himself and we talked for bout 10 minutes. Super guys and great musicians, can't wait to hear their next album.

RolanK

Post by RolanK »

rlipps wrote:Super guys and great musicians, can't wait to hear their next album.

Did he tell you anything about when that might be?
Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa

RevMatt

Post by RevMatt »

RolanK wrote:
rlipps wrote:Super guys and great musicians, can't wait to hear their next album.

Did he tell you anything about when that might be?

I talked to them a bit about their next album and nothing is set in stone yet. Lee said he is considering live directly to half inch tape. They would like to record entirely in analog but the most cost prohibitive part of that is the price of two inch tape. A reel of two inch tape goes for over two hundred dollars. If you spin the reels on the faster speed you get one song per reel. On the slower speed maybe three songs. And that doesn't even factor in the hourly cost of the recording studio. But if they record live directly to the half inch tape it would cost less. Lee was talking about recording again in the summer or fall.

My own opinion is that they should solicit the cost of tape from the fans on Indie Go Go or one of those sites. They should also find a producer who knows how to work with a band like them. I think they need to record the way DBT does -- entirely in analog, two inch tape mixed down to half inch. They need to work with in a good studio with a proven engineer/producer who understands their music. Being a DBT fan, Barbe is the first guy that I would suggest but there are other people who can do this band justice. I don't like the direct to half inch approach. I would if they were Neil Young and had enough money to lay down dozens of versions of each song and had a couple of weeks to spend working on the record. But given their budget and time constraints recording that way is hit or miss. Much easier to lay down basic rhythm tracks and build a record from there.

dime in the gutter

Post by dime in the gutter »

RevMatt wrote:My own opinion is that they should solicit the cost of tape from the fans on Indie Go Go or one of those sites. They should also find a producer who knows how to work with a band like them. I think they need to record the way DBT does -- entirely in analog, two inch tape mixed down to half inch. They need to work with in a good studio with a proven engineer/producer who understands their music. Being a DBT fan, Barbe is the first guy that I would suggest but there are other people who can do this band justice. I don't like the direct to half inch approach. I would if they were Neil Young and had enough money to lay down dozens of versions of each song and had a couple of weeks to spend working on the record. But given their budget and time constraints recording that way is hit or miss. Much easier to lay down basic rhythm tracks and build a record from there.

or better songs.

whoops.

RevMatt

Post by RevMatt »

dime in the gutter wrote:
RevMatt wrote:My own opinion is that they should solicit the cost of tape from the fans on Indie Go Go or one of those sites. They should also find a producer who knows how to work with a band like them. I think they need to record the way DBT does -- entirely in analog, two inch tape mixed down to half inch. They need to work with in a good studio with a proven engineer/producer who understands their music. Being a DBT fan, Barbe is the first guy that I would suggest but there are other people who can do this band justice. I don't like the direct to half inch approach. I would if they were Neil Young and had enough money to lay down dozens of versions of each song and had a couple of weeks to spend working on the record. But given their budget and time constraints recording that way is hit or miss. Much easier to lay down basic rhythm tracks and build a record from there.

or better songs.

whoops.

I like most of their songs so far. If there are problems with the first album I don't think it is in the songwriting, I think it is in the production. The production is restrained and reminds me of a Robert Cray album. I think they need to capture the band's raw energy as well as the chops and soulful feel. Don't get me wrong, I play the album often. But I think both Alabama Shakes and Lee Bains iii and The Glory Fires would have been better served by a better production. Because Barbe has worked with both Bob Mould and The Truckers I think he'd be a natural choice for Lee Bains. If Jim Dickinson was still living he'd be perfect for The Glory Fires.

Kudzu Guillotine

Someone I know that saw the Glory Fires open for the Shakes at the Cradle said the Glory Fires reminded them of .38 Special (which was meant as a slam). This person is usually pretty informed about music but is also very opinionated. Reminds me of the Jimmy Buffett fan that said the DBT's sounded like Train.