Lee Bains III & The Glory Fires

Know of a great band you think we'd like to hear about? Got some music news? Or just want to talk about music in general? Post it here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

rlipps

Re: Lee Bains III & The Glory Fires

Post by rlipps »

Short interview with Lee before the upcoming Cask & Drum Festival in Birmingham this weekend

http://weldbham.com/blog/2014/10/05/dar ... lee-bains/

one belt loop

Post by one belt loop »

Gonna be at the Holiday Hangout in Little Rock! Let's hope they make it this year.
Matt playing like an evil motherfucker w/ rhythm with a capital MPLAEMWR.

- bubba

schlanky

Post by schlanky »

I caught LBIII and the Glory Fires for the first time at Cask and Drum over the weekend. They had a crappy early time slot (2:30 pm start), but played like headliners. I'd heard about their blistering live sets, and they sure as hell delivered.
Let the outside air in

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

schlanky wrote:I caught LBIII and the Glory Fires for the first time at Cask and Drum over the weekend. They had a crappy early time slot (2:30 pm start), but played like headliners. I'd heard about their blistering live sets, and they sure as hell delivered.

They were amazing weren't they? Love those guys and hope they made a bunch of new fans.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

schlanky

Post by schlanky »

I like both albums--hope the sound of the next one is somewhere between the two-- but I don't think I truly "got it" with them until seeing them live. You just gotta respect a band that puts that much into a live performance, particularly at 2:30 in the afternoon. I wish LB3 would have had the time slot of that band that played like it was 1986.

I was up front for Bains, Lucero (got the beer shower) and DBT. I didn't make it to the rail, but was right behind the railbirds for DBT.
Let the outside air in

one belt loop

Post by one belt loop »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:
schlanky wrote:I caught LBIII and the Glory Fires for the first time at Cask and Drum over the weekend. They had a crappy early time slot (2:30 pm start), but played like headliners. I'd heard about their blistering live sets, and they sure as hell delivered.

They were amazing weren't they? Love those guys and hope they made a bunch of new fans.

Lucero sounded pretty stoked that they made it in time.
Matt playing like an evil motherfucker w/ rhythm with a capital MPLAEMWR.

- bubba

ramonz

Post by ramonz »

rlipps wrote:Ramones cover

Love it!! Thanks for sharing.

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

So I've been listening to There Is A Bomb In Gilead more than anything else lately and I'm trying to understand something about the title song. Who exactly are the "children of Abraham" in this song, especially as compared to the "children of Paul"? The only time in the Bible the phrase "children of Abraham" is used is in Paul's (of course) epistle to the Galatians, 3:7-8, and in that context, I think it means Christians of that time. However, I've also seen it used for Jews and for all the Abrahamic religions (Islam, Christianity, Judaism). I could read it as any of those three and "children of Paul" to mean modern Christians. I know how I like it but I don't know how the writer meant it. Can anyone help?
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

John A Arkansawyer wrote:So I've been listening to There Is A Bomb In Gilead more than anything else lately and I'm trying to understand something about the title song. Who exactly are the "children of Abraham" in this song, especially as compared to the "children of Paul"? The only time in the Bible the phrase "children of Abraham" is used is in Paul's (of course) epistle to the Galatians, 3:7-8, and in that context, I think it means Christians of that time. However, I've also seen it used for Jews and for all the Abrahamic religions (Islam, Christianity, Judaism). I could read it as any of those three and "children of Paul" to mean modern Christians. I know how I like it but I don't know how the writer meant it. Can anyone help?

ask Lee. I'm sure he'll answer your question.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

John A Arkansawyer wrote:So I've been listening to There Is A Bomb In Gilead more than anything else lately and I'm trying to understand something about the title song. Who exactly are the "children of Abraham" in this song, especially as compared to the "children of Paul"? The only time in the Bible the phrase "children of Abraham" is used is in Paul's (of course) epistle to the Galatians, 3:7-8, and in that context, I think it means Christians of that time. However, I've also seen it used for Jews and for all the Abrahamic religions (Islam, Christianity, Judaism). I could read it as any of those three and "children of Paul" to mean modern Christians. I know how I like it but I don't know how the writer meant it. Can anyone help?

Interesting question.

I believe only the Jews claim descent from Abraham so they are literally "the children of Abraham" in a way the other religions don't claim. IOW, I think (but have no empirical evidence) that referring to either Christians or Muslims as "children of Abraham" would be a less common use of the phrase itself (as opposed to the religious concepts in which all 3 religions claim affinity to Abraham in different ways). But the song itself seems to come out of or reflect or pay homage to the gospel tradition and specifically the song "there is a balm in gilead" which leads me to believe that Lee is approaching the term from a Christian perspective. In my non-expert view, a couple of other terms in the song like "throne of peace" and "pearly gates" as well as the reference to Paul are basically Christian imagery so it seems most likely that he's referring to Christians. OTOH, he might just be using the phrase more generally to mean something like "all the children of God." But yeah, asking him is probably a better idea.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

RolanK
Location: drivin' home early Sunday morning through Bakersfield

Post by RolanK »

Yes the question probably better be adressed directly to the writer himself. He's been quite eager to elaborate on some of the lyrics from the last album, but I can't really say I remember reading or hearing so much on previous one from Lee himself.

I'm not really well versed in Religious terminology, but I always took the lyrics as a vague reference/commentary to the ever ongoing situation/conflict in the Middle East. Ibrahim and Abraham both being versions of the same name I was of the impression that also the Muslims consider themselves descendants of Abraham.
Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

RolanK wrote:Yes the question probably better be adressed directly to the writer himself. He's been quite eager to elaborate on some of the lyrics from the last album, but I can't really say I remember reading or hearing so much on previous one from Lee himself.

I'm not really well versed in Religious terminology, but I always took the lyrics as a vague reference/commentary to the ever ongoing situation/conflict in the Middle East. Ibrahim and Abraham both being versions of the same name I was of the impression that also the Muslims consider themselves descendants of Abraham.

Muslims do claim a close connection to Abraham (Ibrahim) but if I'm not mistaken they consider him to be one of the great prophets in a line that runs from Adam (and which includes Moses, btw) to Mohammed and thus part of the foundation of the religion (or perhaps "religious descent" if you prefer). I do not believe that they claim direct descent in a literal way from Abraham.

RolanK
Location: drivin' home early Sunday morning through Bakersfield

Post by RolanK »

beantownbubba wrote:
RolanK wrote:Yes the question probably better be adressed directly to the writer himself. He's been quite eager to elaborate on some of the lyrics from the last album, but I can't really say I remember reading or hearing so much on previous one from Lee himself.

Muslims do claim a close connection to Abraham (Ibrahim) but if I'm not mistaken they consider him to be one of the great prophets in a line that runs from Adam (and which includes Moses, btw) to Mohammed and thus part of the foundation of the religion (or perhaps "religious descent" if you prefer). I do not believe that they claim direct descent in a literal way from Abraham.

I'm not gonna argue with you on that, Sir. ;)

I tend to agree with John A. that the children of Paul may be referring to Christians. Reading the lyrics of the original psalm the song title is "lifted" from I take it the message (in the original psalm) is "there is comfort and healing in (Christian) religion". Lee may be addressing both Christians, Jews and Muslims and perhaps in a broader (geographical and geo-political) sense than I stated in my previous post.
Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa

John A Arkansawyer

Tequila Cowboy wrote:

ask Lee. I'm sure he'll answer your question.

Difficult. Every time I see him I'm either blown away from the performance or trying not to get knocked down as he jumps into the crowd. Or both.
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

John A Arkansawyer wrote:Difficult. Every time I see him I'm either blown away from the performance or trying not to get knocked down as he jumps into the crowd. Or both.

Friend Glory Fires (the individual not the band page) on FB. That's Lee.

John A Arkansawyer

Tequila Cowboy wrote:
John A Arkansawyer wrote:Difficult. Every time I see him I'm either blown away from the performance or trying not to get knocked down as he jumps into the crowd. Or both.

Friend Glory Fires (the individual not the band page) on FB. That's Lee.

I never did send in for BOC lyrics or anything from Patti Smith, but I'll give this a try.

rlipps

Post by rlipps »

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

rlipps wrote:New spring shows:

http://thegloryfires.com/shows/

Might have to drive to Hattiesburg on 2/19. Not surprising they're not playing Jackson this time around. Last 3 shows have a had a grand total of about 6 people besides myself and Lurleen. That's 6 people over ALL THREE SHOWS.

rlipps

Post by rlipps »

Cincy and Nashville are closest to me, but both are during the week, which makes it difficult.

jbshelton

Post by jbshelton »

Can anyone help me out with that Arkadelphia album? Would be much appreciated!
"There ain't no Superman in this town...just 40 bottles and .38's."

Barely_Oakely

Post by Barely_Oakely »

jbshelton wrote:Can anyone help me out with that Arkadelphia album? Would be much appreciated!

x2!
"Allman Brother's up and windows down." LB3

rlipps

Post by rlipps »

New song they played a few weeks ago in Auburn. Sound quality is poor, but I'm just glad they are starting to play some new stuff.

Barely_Oakely

Post by Barely_Oakely »

Not sure if anyone's posted these before, but I hadn't seen them before today. Lee with a banjo? Love it.

"Allman Brother's up and windows down." LB3

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Yeah, I love those. Couch by Couchwest is one of my favorite thing of the spring.

olwiggum
Site Admin

Post by olwiggum »

I swear to go there's a video somewhere of Lee with a banjo (at a porch show at Standard Deluxe maybe?) and he's playing around with "Song of the South" from Alabama. I can never find it when I search Youtube so it makes me think it may just be something that someone uploaded to their personal FB page a few years ago. i'd love to see it again.

brett27295

Post by brett27295 »

Absolutely fantastic day yesterday with Lee Bains III & The Glory Fires. I know I've said this before but Lee is one of the most down-to-earth guys I've ever been around, musician or not. I rarely approach musicians but I enjoy spending a few minutes with Mr. Bains every time we see them. They will be releasing a 7" single in the summer. He said they had hoped to release it for Record Store Day but pressing plants are booked 6 months in advance. New album sometime next year, he's still writing songs.

The day started with a fantastic 30 minute set at Schoolkids Records in Raleigh. A little over 30 people there which for Schoolkids is a pretty full house. They are also one of the few record stores I know that have beer on tap. Highlight for me was Roebuck Parkway played solo by Lee, which I sort of requested lol. They played the new single, 4-5 from Dereconstructed, and Red Red Dirt of Home. Probably 8 songs or so. Volume was about 1/3 normal as they used the PA and amps at Schoolkids.

Later that evening they hit Slim's Downtown in Raleigh. Slim's proudly calls itself a divebar and it is for all the right reasons. Perfect place for The Glory Fires. The show was very well attended, especially for a Sunday night. I'm pretty sure there were almost as many people there last night as there was the last two times I saw the Glory Fires at Slim's combined, and they were on Saturdays. What can you say about this band live? Just mind-blowing amazing. Loud as fuck. Like "747 taking off" loud. One thing I did learn last night is I'm never seeing them again without wearing ear plugs. There isn't a band alive that can match their intensity and live shows. No one....and it's not even close. I've seen LB3 9 times now and am blown away every time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xx6FbBHkAjc

Tried to imbed the video I shot of "We Dare Defend Our Rights" but had issues. The video is too dark (Slim's has minimal lighting) and the volume almost overloads my Iphone, but I'm pretty sure this gives a fair representation of what it was like last night. And finally I just had to have a fanboy moment. I think this is the first musician I've ever had my picture taken with.

Turn you demons into walls of goddamned noise and sound.

Gator McKlusky

Post by Gator McKlusky »

I keep waiting for them to hit FL. (reading the above post makes the wait so much worse!) I don't believe LB and the GF have ever played here, they are really starting to piss me off.
Looks like a bunch of little whiny fucksticks to me

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Gator McKlusky wrote:I keep waiting for them to hit FL. (reading the above post makes the wait so much worse!) I don't believe LB and the GF have ever played here, they are really starting to piss me off.
I'm sensing a market opportunity here for an ambitious young gator.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

beantownbubba wrote:
Gator McKlusky wrote:I keep waiting for them to hit FL. (reading the above post makes the wait so much worse!) I don't believe LB and the GF have ever played here, they are really starting to piss me off.
I'm sensing a market opportunity here for an ambitious young gator.
You should get in touch with Lee on FB through the band's page.

Vincent

Post by Vincent »

Lee and 35 of his closest friends in Philly last night. Best 60 minutes of rock and roll I've heard lately. Closed with a killer version of Dirt Track.
Dave