Lee Bains III & The Glory Fires

Know of a great band you think we'd like to hear about? Got some music news? Or just want to talk about music in general? Post it here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

RevMatt

Re: Lee Bains III & The Glory Fires

Post by RevMatt »

Over 150 people at Asbury Lanes in Asbury Park tonight. The Glory Fires absolutely killed it! Totally won over the crowd which was catching them for the first time ever. At one point I leaned against the stage and looked at the packed room and thought about the shows I caught last winter where they drew maybe fifteen people. I had tears in my eyes. This is a great band and people are catching on.
I have nowhere else to go. There is no demand in the priesthood for elderly drug addicts

Gang Green

Post by Gang Green »

According to this thread and the Facebook traffic, Lee and crew have been in maximum overdrive night after night. I just hope he has enough left in the tank to tonight in Philly.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Gang Green wrote:According to this thread and the Facebook traffic, Lee and crew have been in maximum overdrive night after night. I just hope he has enough left in the tank to tonight in Philly.

Ahhh, to be young.
All opinions and commentary in my posts are solely my own and are made in my personal capacity.

Vincent

Post by Vincent »

Short set in Philly tonight, but goddamn they brought it.

Good seeing seeing 3ddrs John, Jeff and Dave represent tonight.
Dave

Gang Green

Post by Gang Green »

Vincent wrote:Short set in Philly tonight, but goddamn they brought it.

Good seeing seeing 3ddrs John, Jeff and Dave represent tonight.

Great to see you again as always, yes would have loved a little bit longer set, but, yes they did bring it, no holds barred. My son and his girl friend showed up just as the show ended, and as we were hanging-out outside the venue, Lee Baines came out and talked to us for almost a half hour. A great guy indeed.

olwiggum
Site Admin

Post by olwiggum »

rlipps wrote:. The size of the room and quality of the sound system might have something to do with it,

You're probably right there. I would assume that the vocals would be louder in a bigger room with a bigger PA. But smaller PAs in little clubs don't really push the vocals over the amps like they need to do.

I do wish that the vocals were louder on the album though. They definitely have control over that. :D

brett27295

Post by brett27295 »

olwiggum wrote:You're probably right there. I would assume that the vocals would be louder in a bigger room with a bigger PA. But smaller PAs in little clubs don't really push the vocals over the amps like they need to do.

I do wish that the vocals were louder on the album though. They definitely have control over that. :D

I've seen LB3 five times, twice opening for DBT and three times in small clubs. The sound and mix was great when they opened for DBT, but every time I've seen them headline the sound has been less than stellar. The interesting thing is the the bands that open for Lee always sound fine, but from what I can tell Lee and Eric crank their guitar amps to 11 and it just drowns out everything else. I like loud guitars as much as anyone, but sometimes you have to think of the overall mix.

Hey they still put on a fantastic show and I'm still going to see them this Friday in Raleigh, but I sure wish they'd do a better job with the live mix. I wouldn't mind hearing some vocals every now and again :)
Turn you demons into walls of goddamned noise and sound.

olwiggum
Site Admin

Post by olwiggum »

I love Lee's voice and vocal inflections so much. I'm in the same boat as you. I'd love to be able to hear the vocals more.

one belt loop

Post by one belt loop »

from the KXEP session:

Finally the other guys get a little camera time!
Matt playing like an evil motherfucker w/ rhythm with a capital MPLAEMWR.

- bubba

Flea

Post by Flea »

one belt loop wrote:from the KXEP session:

Finally the other guys get a little camera time!

The more I hear these guys, the better I like 'em. And I liked them pretty, pretty, pretty good to begin with.
Now it's dark.

rlipps

Post by rlipps »

Here's the whole session from KEXP:

brett27295

Post by brett27295 »

rlipps wrote:Here's the whole session from KEXP:

Now that's a great mix. Superior to the album mix and any live mix I've heard at a LB3 show. IMHO of course.

brett27295

Post by brett27295 »

Exciting and high energy show last night at King's in Raleigh if a little on the short side. After seeing them headline 4x now I expected the 45-50 minute set. Decent enough crowd, maybe in the 50+ range give or take a dozen or so. Seemed like alot more than usually see them when they play Slim's.

I personally would love to see the band play a nice 75 minute set with more songs from Bomb but I guess I'll take what I can get from one of the best damn bands in the land. Spoke with Lee, Eric, and Blake briefly. Always a pleasure talking to those guys.

The Company Man
Dereconstructed
Burnpiles, Swimming Holes
The Kudzu and the Concrete
The Weeds Downtown
What's Good and Gone
We Dare Defend Our Rights
Flags!
The Red, Red Dirt of Home
Centerville
Dirt Track

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

Ironically enough, King's is one of the first places they ever played in this area albeit it was about 3-4 years ago. The first time I heard of them was that night when a friend recommended I catch them. I missed 'em that evening as I already had plans. I love Slim's and it's perfect for bands like the Glory Fires but that said, I was glad to see them playing a bigger room last night with a pretty decent turnout especially considering all that was going on last night (Old Quarter EP release party at the Pour House, Merge 25, etc.).

brett27295

Post by brett27295 »

King's Raleigh, NC 7/25/14

brett27295

Post by brett27295 »

Does anyone have a copy of the unreleased Arkadelphia album? I didn't even know if existed until recently. Would love to hear a copy.

*Edit: Got a copy...thanks to all those that responded!

RolanK
Location: drivin' home early Sunday morning through Bakersfield

Post by RolanK »

They are in the studio for a live apparence on Norwegian national radio here sometime between 1300 and 1400 hrs (1-2 pm) Central Europan Time.

http://radio.nrk.no/direkte/p13
Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa

RolanK

Post by RolanK »

RolanK wrote:They are in the studio for a live apparence on Norwegian national radio here sometime between 1300 and 1400 hrs (1-2 pm) Central Europan Time.

The content may be blocked outside of Norway.

They did two songs. We dare defend and Weeds. The host did a short interview with Lee with the guys in the background and the 50Hzhum from the amps turned to 11. She started by complementing their looks, and proceeded by saying the studio was filled with the scent of a touring van and "perhaps a little sex"? :lol: Lee turned the question over to Eric who replied with a short "Nah!"
Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

RolanK wrote:
RolanK wrote:They are in the studio for a live apparence on Norwegian national radio here sometime between 1300 and 1400 hrs (1-2 pm) Central Europan Time.

They did two songs. We dare defend and Weeds. The host did a short interview with Lee with the guys in the background and the 50Hzhum from the amps turned to 11. She started by complementing their looks, and proceeded by saying the studio was filled with the scent of a touring van and "perhaps a little sex"? :lol: Lee turned the question over to Eric who replied with a short "Nah!"

:lol: :lol: Wishful thinking on her part?
All opinions and commentary in my posts are solely my own and are made in my personal capacity.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Norwegian nookie?
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

rawkshow

Post by rawkshow »

brett27295 wrote:Does anyone have a copy of the unreleased Arkadelphia album? I didn't even know if existed until recently. Would love to hear a copy.

*Edit: Got a copy...thanks to all those that responded!

oh wow, i've been looking forever for that....can anyone help me out as well?
Just cause I don't run my mouth don't mean I got nothing to say...

RolanK

Post by RolanK »

beantownbubba wrote:
RolanK wrote:

:lol: :lol: Wishful thinking on her part?

Well, Eric also got the closing comments demonstrating his Norwegian skills literally saying "I have a small pecker". If he's been using that for his pickup line that probably explains his previous comment.
Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa

RolanK

Post by RolanK »

Some pics by a local photographer from yesterdays show in Oslo

ImageLee Bains III & The Glory Fires @ Øyanatt 2014
Great show. Lots of fun. Definitely on of my fave bands these days.
Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa

brett27295

Post by brett27295 »

New Fall tour dates:

http://thegloryfires.com/shows/

Glad they're coming back to Raleigh so soon!

Markalanbishop

Post by Markalanbishop »

Finally got the CD last week. It's really growing on me. I don't know if it was supposed to come with a lyric sheet/credit booklet but mine didn't. Who can tell me what tracks Matt plays on?
Kick out the jams motherfuckers.

rlipps

Post by rlipps »

Markalanbishop wrote:Finally got the CD last week. It's really growing on me. I don't know if it was supposed to come with a lyric sheet/credit booklet but mine didn't. Who can tell me what tracks Matt plays on?

My vinyl came with a booklet with lyrics, not sure bout the CD. As far as the bass, I asked Matt and he said he and Adam kinda took turns with them. He wasn't sure which of his takes they used, but he said it sounded like him on Kudzu and the Concrete, Weeds Downtown, What's Good and Gone, Mississippi Bottomland and Dirt Track.

rlipps

Post by rlipps »

Ramones cover

RolanK

Post by RolanK »

rlipps wrote:Ramones cover

If I'm not mistaken, this is from the encore at the show in Trondheim earlier this month. Someone, may have been one the boys in the band, told me it was totally improvised and the first time they did it live. They also played it at the show in Oslo a couple of days later and dedicated it to Tommy Ramone and a local music journalist.
Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa

rlipps

Post by rlipps »

Live at Malone Pictures in Dallas on June 25, 2014

Barely_Oakely

Post by Barely_Oakely »

I saw them last night - my mind is blown and my ears are still ringing... I don't know what the average person thinks about having a tweed Fender Bassman on 11 aimed at them all night, but I loved it. The set was fast and furious. (Maybe the last 3+ hour DBT show I saw set the bar a little too high...) The instruments sounded amazing but the vocals got a little lost - I think it was mostly my fault for standing too close to the stage for the PA speakers to be effective. I've seen a lot of bands over the years, but I'd have to say that these guys have the highest sustained energy of any show I've ever seen (that I can remember this morning). I was really impressed with Lee, I had a chance to talk with him before the show and as if I had no idea who he was he introduced himself and asked for my name. It wasn't a huge deal, but simple humble mannerisms like that define a person. Needless to say, this solidified me as a fan rather than a casual listener.
"Allman Brother's up and windows down." LB3