Lee Bains III & The Glory Fires

Know of a great band you think we'd like to hear about? Got some music news? Or just want to talk about music in general? Post it here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Duke Silver

Re: Lee Bains III & The Glory Fires

Post by Duke Silver »

pic from saturday night. the venue posted it on fb, not sure if it'll work here.

ain't no static on the gospel radio

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Pissed I missed their show in Dubuque. Its about 2 hours of mostly winding roads from me to there, and would have required a hotel room, on top of what has been an insane amount of travel this fall, but would have rocked.

rlipps

Post by rlipps »

Iowan wrote:Pissed I missed their show in Dubuque. Its about 2 hours of mostly winding roads from me to there, and would have required a hotel room, on top of what has been an insane amount of travel this fall, but would have rocked.

Yeah, I'm upset I had to miss the Lexington, KY show too last week. About 90 minutes away, but it was in the middle of the week and with a sick wife and two little ones, I just couldn't make it. He said they had a great time and would definitely be back, so hopefully the next show will fall on a Friday or Saturday and make it a little easier to get away.

Duke Silver

Post by Duke Silver »

"Dirt Track" from Saturday night. Should give you an idea of how small/sweaty the place was. Make sure you watch to at least 4:45 to see the guitarist almost get decapitated (there was a ceiling fan a few inches above his head).

Duke Silver

Post by Duke Silver »

actually, it looks like the whole show is on youtube

http://www.youtube.com/user/JoeRocket222

here's that encore song i couldn't (and still can't) figure out. sounds so familiar...

one belt loop

Post by one belt loop »

It's the Arkadelphia song "Laying Track."
Matt playing like an evil motherfucker w/ rhythm with a capital MPLAEMWR.

- bubba

Duke Silver

Post by Duke Silver »

huh. i must've heard it in a past life or something.

RolanK
Location: drivin' home early Sunday morning through Bakersfield

Post by RolanK »

Duke Silver wrote:

"Dirt Track" from Saturday night. Should give you an idea of how small/sweaty the place was. Make sure you watch to at least 4:45 to see the guitarist almost get decapitated (there was a ceiling fan a few inches above his head).

Awesome!
Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa

Duke Silver

Post by Duke Silver »

here's one of the new ones they played. it kicked ass live. can't wait to hear a version that wasn't recorded through a camera mic.

olwiggum
Site Admin

Post by olwiggum »

i love that they've been playing "Laying Track". I've been trying to convince Lee to bring back "Can't Get Right". Love both of those.

one belt loop

Post by one belt loop »

olwiggum wrote:i love that they've been playing "Laying Track". I've been trying to convince Lee to bring back "Can't Get Right". Love both of those.

Walker County Loathing

- bubba

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

one belt loop wrote:
olwiggum wrote:i love that they've been playing "Laying Track". I've been trying to convince Lee to bring back "Can't Get Right". Love both of those.

Walker County Loathing

yep.
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

rlipps

Post by rlipps »

Glory Fires posted some new shows this week and said more to follow soon.

http://thegloryfires.com/shows/

one belt loop

Post by one belt loop »

I hope they keep heading west.

- bubba

rawkshow

Post by rawkshow »

rlipps wrote:Glory Fires posted some new shows this week and said more to follow soon.

HELL YEA theres a charlotte show! Missed the chapel hill show and was giving up hope on them coming here. Has temperance league opening so anticipating a great show.
Just cause I don't run my mouth don't mean I got nothing to say...

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

rawkshow wrote:
rlipps wrote:Glory Fires posted some new shows this week and said more to follow soon.

HELL YEA theres a charlotte show! Missed the chapel hill show and was giving up hope on them coming here. Has temperance league opening so anticipating a great show.

I think you'll love Temperance League. Seeing those two on the same bill will be off the hook. I was hoping Lee Bains would be returning to this area on this leg of their tour but it doesn't seem to be in the cards. I hope they weren't put off by the poor attendance at the 506 show. I believe that had everything to do with bad timing as far as being booked during Hopscotch.

Gang Green

Post by Gang Green »

Talk about bad timing, they're playing a living room show in Philly the day of the Super Bowl. Actually, Maybe that's perfect timing.

rawkshow

Post by rawkshow »

Kudzu Guillotine wrote:
rawkshow wrote:

I think you'll love Temperance League. Seeing those two on the same bill will be off the hook. I was hoping Lee Bains would be returning to this area on this leg of their tour but it doesn't seem to be in the cards. I hope they weren't put off by the poor attendance at the 506 show. I believe that had everything to do with bad timing as far as being booked during Hopscotch.

yea, i've seen Temperance League a couple times, one of Charlotte's better local band, and think that's gonna be a kickass bill. The other band, Modern Primitive, i haven't seen them yet but i know they play around a lot here & i've heard some good things.

rlipps

Post by rlipps »

Tour starts tonight in Athens, hope some of you down that way can get out to the Caledonia Lounge and support them

http://www.redandblack.com/variety/lee- ... f6878.html

Athens Joe

Post by Athens Joe »

What a show that was. I had only seen them in an opening slot in bigger rooms like the ga theatre where shamefully not many folks were paying attention and the energy suffered as a result. This was an all-out dirty rock n roll show that never let up. I'm not familiar with his catalog, yet, so I'm not sure which ones stood out for me. He was all over the place - on the drum kit, in the crowd, even in the crowd with with his lead guitarist on his shoulders, totem-pole style. You don't see that every day (kinda like an Icehouse truck). You'd a thought there were 2500 people there, not 25. You can't help but love guys like that.

It was good to see pbrman and Holly. Hope y'all got plenty of coffee this morning.

BigTom
Site Admin

Post by BigTom »

They are playing Baltimore tomorrow night, gonna try my best to go.
Tumble down shack in Bigfoot County

rawkshow

Post by rawkshow »

They played a hell of a show in charlotte tonight. Pretty decent crowd and damn, lee was all over the place playing. Not sure what their normal set is like but it was all rawking out tonight. If they playing near you, id highly recommend going!

Van

Post by Van »

I was hoping to go to the show in Philly but I think it may be a private party. Its looking like NYC on Monday. Anyone else going to the Mercury Lounge show?

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

Looks like we get Lee Bains at Slim's in Raleigh on Tuesday, February 12th with JKutchma (of Red Collar) doing the opening honors. That's the same night Patterson plays the ArtsCenter in nearby Carrboro. With the Carrboro concert being an early show hopefully I'll be able to get back to Raleigh in time for Lee Bains.

uncle rickey

Post by uncle rickey »

Van wrote:I was hoping to go to the show in Philly but I think it may be a private party. Its looking like NYC on Monday. Anyone else going to the Mercury Lounge show?

See you there. I believe Lew Ashby will be there too, and possibly my trusty assistant Guillaume.

Van

Post by Van »

uncle rickey wrote:
Van wrote:I was hoping to go to the show in Philly but I think it may be a private party. Its looking like NYC on Monday. Anyone else going to the Mercury Lounge show?

See you there. I believe Lew Ashby will be there too, and possibly my trusty assistant Guillaume.

Cool! See you there.

one belt loop

Post by one belt loop »

uncle rickey wrote:my trusty assistant Guillaume.

- bubba

BigTom
Site Admin

Post by BigTom »

Didn't make the Baltimore show. Slippery roads and didn't feel like going alone. Mark Lynn and I are definitely catching them this Monday in Richmond. It's an early show, 6pm and it's my day off.
Tumble down shack in Bigfoot County

RevMatt

Post by RevMatt »

I need some help.

Tonight they are playing Ray Cappo's Cantina in New Brunswick, NJ. Apparently, it is a place with no liquor license or permit to put on shows so the location is top secret. I've tried messaging the band on Facebook (they said "send a message for the location") but they are not real good about returning messages.

Does anyone know the location of the show? If so, please message me. My son and I want to go tonight.

edit: Less than two hours to go before the concert and neither the band nor the promoter have replied to my messages asking for the location of the show. I did cancel band practice so I would be free to go to this show. If these people did not plan on answering their messages then the show should have been listed "Private Event" on their tour intinerary. It takes a whole lot to piss off the Rev. But if I don't hear from somebody soon I will be at that place.
I have nowhere else to go. There is no demand in the priesthood for elderly drug addicts

Van

Post by Van »

Sounds like a house party Matt. I had the same problem with the Philly show on Sunday. Nobody got back to me on Facebook. So I went to the Mercury Lounge last night. THe show was awesome! They played 5 or 6 new songs. I think I am going to Brookyn next Sunday.