Lee Bains III & The Glory Fires

Know of a great band you think we'd like to hear about? Got some music news? Or just want to talk about music in general? Post it here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

RolanK
Location: drivin' home early Sunday morning through Bakersfield

Re: Lee Bains III & The Glory Fires

Post by RolanK »

I will carry a lamb into the woods on mid-summer night and slaughter it, build a bonfire to dance around and howl at the moon all night.
Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa

one belt loop

Post by one belt loop »

RolanK wrote:I will carry a lamb into the woods on mid-summer night and slaughter it, build a bonfire to dance around and howl at the moon all night.

I usedta could sing a pristine hallelujah
Matt playing like an evil motherfucker w/ rhythm with a capital MPLAEMWR.

- bubba

RolanK

Post by RolanK »

Pagan rituals might not have the desired effect.
Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa

one belt loop

Post by one belt loop »

RolanK wrote:Pagan rituals might not have the desired effect.

But they're way more fun than the other kind.

- bubba

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

one belt loop wrote:

I'm guessing you're not in danger of being the sacrificial virgin.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

one belt loop

Post by one belt loop »

beantownbubba wrote:
one belt loop wrote:

I'm guessing you're not in danger of being the sacrificial virgin.

nice talk

- bubba

RolanK

Post by RolanK »

one belt loop wrote:

Indeed!
Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa

Van

Post by Van »

Can't believe I am missing these guys in Philly tonight. A last minute show in Phily because of a cancelled show in Maryland(bad weather).

Gang Green

Post by Gang Green »

Van wrote:Can't believe I am missing these guys in Philly tonight. A last minute show in Phily because of a cancelled show in Maryland(bad weather).

Yes, I can't believe I missed this show as well. But, I had a good excuse. I was in Easton, MD where they were supposed to play. Last week, I somehow convinced my wife that we should spend our 23rd Anniversery in Easton, MD to see Lee Bains III and his Glory Fires. We had about a 2.5 hour drive in just about the worst rain storm I have ever experienced. When we got to Easton, the sun was still out, but thunder clouds were on the horizon. We checked in to a real nice Inn and just as we were getting ready to go out for dinner around 7:00 PM we get the call from the Night Cat, that the show is cancelled. Yes, it had been raining heavily but it was begining to subside and would be done by 9:00. Apparantly, it was cancelled by the Maryland authorities as they were anticipating bad storms and some flooding. Damn you big government. Luckily for me, Easton was a charming little town, the Tidewater Inn was really nice, and their resturant had really good food and they made great martinis, or I would have been toast. Then Lee Bains starting talking about an Ad Hoc Philly show on Facebook. So, essentially, I was stuck inside of Easton with the Philly blues again. When driving home this morning, I saw I sign for Centreville, and at that point I felt a little twinge in my arteries.

On a side note, Lee Bains or someone in their crew did ackowledge my disappointment on Facebook and promised me free addmission the next time which was nice. And another guy drove all the way from Pittsburgh and was staying at the Holiday Inn Express on route 50, so I shouldn't feel too bad. Okay, I've vented, now I'm off to watch Gang Green on the Red Zone.

Clams

Post by Clams »

Gang Green wrote: Last week, I somehow convinced my wife that we should spend our 23rd Anniversery in Easton, MD to see Lee Bains III and his Glory Fires.

Now that's incredible!

I missed the Philly show too. Saw it on FB around 11:30pm but that was too late.
If you don't run you rust

rlipps

Post by rlipps »

Going to see them in Knoxville on the 21st. Can't wait to finally catch them live, was going to the Louisville show in June and the day before the show, the S-I joint in my back went out and I could barely walk, much less drive 2.5 hours and stand all night at a show. Hoping nothing bad happens between now and then cause I'm dying to see them live, their debut album is my album of the year so far.

olwiggum
Site Admin

Post by olwiggum »

It's a whole different animal in the live show. You won't be disappointed.

Howlinwolf

Post by Howlinwolf »

Went last night at the Mecury Lounge in Manhattan...Thought I was back in Alabama....

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

Lee Bains III and the Glory Fires at the Local 506 in Chapel Hill, NC 9.7.12

Finally saw them over the weekend when I defected from Hopscotch just long enough to catch their concert at the Local 506 in Chapel Hill on Friday night where they played to about 27 of us. By the way they rocked, you would have thought they were playing to a full house of screaming fans. That was very reassuring to see. Hopefully, that'll be a reality the next time they return to the area. I know there's probably a lot of other bands out there that wouldn't have been nearly as enthusiastic.
Last edited by Kudzu Guillotine on Thu Sep 13, 2012 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

rawkshow

Post by rawkshow »

Kudzu Guillotine wrote:Image
Lee Bains III and the Glory Fires at the Local 506 in Chapel Hill, NC 8.7.12

Finally saw them over the weekend when I defected from Hopscotch just long enough to catch their concert at the Local 506 in Chapel Hill on Friday night where they played to about 27 of us. By the way they rocked, you would have thought they were playing to a full house of screaming fans. That was very reassuring to see. Hopefully, that'll be a reality the next time they return to the area. I know there's probably a lot of other bands out there that wouldn't have been nearly as enthusiastic.

i was really wanting to drive up for that one but that day fell apart & couldn't make it. hope they make it back this way soon, tho the small showing is disappointing, but i'm sure alot of pep's that would've gone were at hopscotch.
Just cause I don't run my mouth don't mean I got nothing to say...

Kudzu Guillotine

rawkshow wrote:

i was really wanting to drive up for that one but that day fell apart & couldn't make it. hope they make it back this way soon, tho the small showing is disappointing, but i'm sure alot of pep's that would've gone were at hopscotch.

With the right planning, they probably could have played at Hopscotch. I have a feeling that the show was probably booked well in advance and that whoever did it didn't take Hopscotch into account. I've been talking to a friend that books shows locally and hopefully they'll be able to bring them to Raleigh in the near future.

rawkshow

Post by rawkshow »

Kudzu Guillotine wrote:
rawkshow wrote:

With the right planning, they probably could have played at Hopscotch. I have a feeling that the show was probably booked well in advance and that whoever did it didn't take Hopscotch into account. I've been talking to a friend that books shows locally and hopefully they'll be able to bring them to Raleigh in the near future.

that'd be awesome, please let me know if they do book it, i'll clear a schedule out somehow to make it
Just cause I don't run my mouth don't mean I got nothing to say...

rlipps

Post by rlipps »

Wow....Bains & the boys brought the rock last night in Knoxville. My first time seeing them and I can attest to what several on here have already said: if you like the album, it can't even compare to the live show, it's on a whole different level. Lee was severely under the weather with what appeared to be flu-like symptoms, but that didn't stop him from pouring his heart and soul into the show. You can tell he felt awful before the show, but all that seemed to go away once they started. The only way you'd have known he was ill was from watching him chug from his gallon of water between songs and from watching him snort, spit and cough between verses.

Got to talk to the guitar player, Matt, before and after the show and he was one of the nicest musicians I've met. Seemed to be a great guy and an awesome picker to boot. Lee actually came over and introduced himself after the show as I leaving the merch table. He also seemed to be a cool, genuine dude and he made my night by telling me they think they have a Lexington, KY show in the works. Great, great experience and I can't wait to go see them again. Here's the setlist and some crappy videos I took my from iPhone. I got all of "There is a Bomb in Gilead" and partial clips of "Red Red Dirt of Home" & "Righteous Ragged Songs".

Setlist:

Ain't No Stranger
Righteous Ragged Songs
Choctaw Summer
Opelika
There is a Bomb in Gilead
"New Song"
Magic City Stomp
Red Red Dirt of Home
Centreville
Dirt Track

Kudzu Guillotine

Here's a link to a fairly recent interview with Lee Bains III conducted by Dirty Laundry radio host Rick Cornell that has since been consolidated into a podcast for Calvin Powers' Americana Music Show which, like Cornell's Dirty Laundry, also airs on WCOM out of Carrboro, NC.

Kudzu Guillotine

They recorded a remake of Swamp Dogg's "Total Destruction To Your Mind" for a new single that includes a new studio version of "There Is A Bomb In Gilead" as the b-side. Listen here.

one belt loop

Post by one belt loop »

I hear they'll be at the White Water in early December (maybe they were just there? but they will be again), Arkansans. Or Arkansawyers, as the case may be.

- bubba

rlipps

Post by rlipps »

Just saw this interview with Lee from Beaumont, they play there tonight. Seems like a very intelligent, thoughtful dude, could totally relate to the some of the stuff he talked about in the interview regarding growing up in the South.

http://www.beaumontenterprise.com/enter ... php#page-1

blackwll

Post by blackwll »

http://classic.lagniappemobile.com/arti ... 958&sid=14

Lee Bains III & the Glory Fires are burning up audiences at venues far and wide with a proud Southern garage soul sound. The release of their debut "There Is a Bomb in Gilead” has earned them praise from critics and fans alike, and the nation is once again focusing its eyes on the Alabama music scene. Lagniappe caught up with Bains to discuss the birth of The Glory Fires and the future of the Alabama music scene.

Crustyharp

Post by Crustyharp »

"Be forewarned, boys and girls: running your thumbnail through the plastic wrap and pulling Alive At The Deep Blues Fest out of the package is like opening a half-gallon of bourbon and throwing the cap out the window. You touch this album off and things are going to happen …"

Lee Bains III & The Glory Fires; Buffalo Killers; Left Lane Cruiser; Henry's Funeral Shoe; Radio Moscow; Brian Olive; John The Conqueror; and Mark "Porkchop" Holder - sweet Jesus! - live from this past summer's Deep Blues Fest: http://brian-robbins.com/alive-at-the-deep-blues-fest/
Let's play now ... we can tune up later.

one belt loop

Post by one belt loop »

out of their comfort zone this week! I say try to see 'em.

Wednesday, November 28th – Lexington, KY – The Green Lantern

Thursday, November 29th – Normal, IL – Firehouse Pizza

Friday, November 30th – Dubuque, IA – The Lift

Saturday, December 1st – Bayport, MN – Bayport BBQ/LIVE AT DEEP BLUES FEST record release

- bubba

Duke Silver

Post by Duke Silver »

one belt loop wrote:out of their comfort zone this week! I say try to see 'em.

Saturday, December 1st – Bayport, MN – Bayport BBQ/LIVE AT DEEP BLUES FEST record release

thank you so much for posting this!! never would've known about it otherwise. hell of a night last night. they played for over an hour to about 100 of us packed into the side room of a tiny BBQ joint in a town of about 3000 right outside the twin cities. i don't know the album well enough to recreate the set, but i know they opened with Ain't No Stranger and closed with Centerville, with a song I didn't recognize as an encore. they played pretty much the whole album in between, with 2-3 new songs scattered throughout. unbelievable energy, incredible show. lee was chugging water (?) from a milk jug all night to stay hydrated. do not miss them if they come anywhere near you.
Last edited by Duke Silver on Sun Dec 02, 2012 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ain't no static on the gospel radio

olwiggum
Site Admin

Post by olwiggum »

Yep, Lee keeps a gallon of water on stage with him most nights.

That's awesome to hear that they played "Grandaddy's Mouth". I would love to hear that.

Duke Silver

Post by Duke Silver »

olwiggum wrote:Yep, Lee keeps a gallon of water on stage with him most nights.

That's awesome to hear that they played "Grandaddy's Mouth". I would love to hear that.

actually, I was wrong about that. He introduced it as a song about his granddaddy, and not being hugely familiar with these guys, I think I got it confused with another song. I'm not sure what it was, but it wasn't grandaddy's mouth. Sorry to get anyone's hopes up!

one belt loop

Post by one belt loop »

Duke Silver wrote:

actually, I was wrong about that. He introduced it as a song about his granddaddy, and not being hugely familiar with these guys, I think I got it confused with another song. I'm not sure what it was, but it wasn't grandaddy's mouth. Sorry to get anyone's hopes up!

Maybe The Red, Red Dirt of Home?

- bubba

Duke Silver

Post by Duke Silver »

one belt loop wrote:
Duke Silver wrote:

Maybe The Red, Red Dirt of Home?

I think they played that one earlier. Might've been another new one, I guess.