Lee Bains III & The Glory Fires

Know of a great band you think we'd like to hear about? Got some music news? Or just want to talk about music in general? Post it here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Slipkid42

Re: Lee Bains III & The Glory Fires

Post by Slipkid42 »

Gang Green wrote:
Slipkid42 wrote:
rlipps wrote:Some new dates, including 4 with the Alabama Shakes. I'll be at the Cincy show hopefully.

I got shut out for the 9:30 shows. Sold out in like 4 minutes. Did anyone happen to get a couple extra for either night (or even one)?

Damn Slip, I was counting on you being there. I lucked out. I'll be going with my wife, daughter and one of my sons. If any of any of them drop-off, you're the first in line.

Thanks for keeping me in mind, GG (not that I'm wishin' any of your kin drop out). Hope you guys have a great time & with any luck I'll still be able to score tickets.
A thousand clusterfucks will not kill my tiny light

Gang Green

Post by Gang Green »

Thanks for keeping me in mind, GG (not that I'm wishin' any of your kin drop out). Hope you guys have a great time & with any luck I'll still be able to score tickets.

Last time I saw Lee Bains was with Alabama Shakes in April of 2012 at the World Cafe in Philly, and I've been dying to see Lee Bains since. Even tried to see him in Easton, MD, went down there and the show got cancelled which I'm sure I mentioned on this thread a year an half ago. My wife and daughter love Alabama Shakes so we'd thought we'd make this a family event.

But, shit, Alabama Shakes is still selling out shows in record time after two years of straight touring? And, I've heard nothing about a new album from them. I got on Tickeyfly at 10:01, and you're saying I made it by 3 minutes? Hope you can make it.

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

Gang Green wrote:But, shit, Alabama Shakes is still selling out shows in record time after two years of straight touring? And, I've heard nothing about a new album from them. I got on Tickeyfly at 10:01, and you're saying I made it by 3 minutes? Hope you can make it.

I can't speak to how well they're drawing these days but I can't imagine it changing all that much. As for the new record, there's some info about it in this Shakes thread.

jgwheeler17

Post by jgwheeler17 »

brett27295 wrote:We're going to see LBIII tonight at Slim's in Raleigh. This will be the 4th time we've seen this lineup of the band & I'm really looking forward to it. There's a good chance we'll hit the Durham show tomorrow night as well.

we meet on these boards again. we need to cross paths friday at the show man. still learning my way around here and saw this thread for LB3. absolutely one of my favorite bands right now. i was at this show too. think ive seen Lee at Slims three times now, along with shows opening for the truckers. i went to the Holiday Hangout in Little Rock, AR, last year, but they had to cancel because of weather. . . anyway, for others reading, they're truly one of the hardest hitting straight up rock and roll bands in existence right now in my book. . . along with what the others have said, Lee is seriously one of the nicest people ive ever met. if they get near your town, go to the show. the ticket will cost you change you can find in your couch cushions, but you will get the show of you life. . . .with that said, brett, look for the skinny white boy in a Lee Bains shirt friday at the Ritz. can't wait.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

jgwheeler17 wrote:
brett27295 wrote:We're going to see LBIII tonight at Slim's in Raleigh. This will be the 4th time we've seen this lineup of the band & I'm really looking forward to it. There's a good chance we'll hit the Durham show tomorrow night as well.

we meet on these boards again. we need to cross paths friday at the show man. still learning my way around here and saw this thread for LB3. absolutely one of my favorite bands right now. i was at this show too. think ive seen Lee at Slims three times now, along with shows opening for the truckers. i went to the Holiday Hangout in Little Rock, AR, last year, but they had to cancel because of weather. . . anyway, for others reading, they're truly one of the hardest hitting straight up rock and roll bands in existence right now in my book. . . along with what the others have said, Lee is seriously one of the nicest people ive ever met. if they get near your town, go to the show. the ticket will cost you change you can find in your couch cushions, but you will get the show of you life. . . .with that said, brett, look for the skinny white boy in a Lee Bains shirt friday at the Ritz. can't wait.

Planning on seeing Lee & the boys in Jackson on Saturday night. Always great. As for Little Rock, my wife and I were there (and survived the ice) did we meet?
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

jgwheeler17

Post by jgwheeler17 »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:
jgwheeler17 wrote:

Planning on seeing Lee & the boys in Jackson on Saturday night. Always great. As for Little Rock, my wife and I were there (and survived the ice) did we meet?

maybe!. . . im a white fellow, brown hair, mid twenties, and i was wearing a black colombia coat both nights. it was a 2,000 mile road trip i'll never forget. . saturday night i was drunkenly screaming ben nichols and lucero songs right in ben nichols face front stage lol. let's see, what else... oh i went and watched the SEC champ game with the guys from Glossary that saturday at a bar/pizza joint downtown. there were a bunch of people/bands from the show there that afternoon. but yeah, i was at all of the friday and saturday shows. we did the books and booze thing for a little that sunday, but left around noon. . .so i don't know man, i remember meeting people from all over the country, so maybe we've met. i think i talked to everybody there haha.

enjoy the show saturday

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

So life is funny sometimes. We had planned on seeing Lee and the boys in Jackson on Saturday night but he was playing an outdoor stage and the rain and the drunk St. Paddy's revelers got in the way. I'm traveling in Georgia later this week though and had decided to spend the night in Athens when I found out they're playing there that night. Might lose a little sleep but why that get in the way of Rock and Roll?

one belt loop

Post by one belt loop »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:So life is funny sometimes. We had planned on seeing Lee and the boys in Jackson on Saturday night but he was playing an outdoor stage and the rain and the drunk St. Paddy's revelers got in the way. I'm traveling in Georgia later this week though and had decided to spend the night in Athens when I found out they're playing there that night. Might lose a little sleep but why that get in the way of Rock and Roll?

WIN
Matt playing like an evil motherfucker w/ rhythm with a capital MPLAEMWR.

- bubba

grapico

Post by grapico »

If y'all want to hear that Lee solo show that happened in Waverly, Alabam a few weeks ago.....Patch N Dent recorded it:

http://www.patchndent.com/?p=5995

one belt loop

Post by one belt loop »

new dates! WOOOOOHHOOOOOOO

Lee Bains III & The Glory Fires 21 updates
Tuesday 05/13/2014 Charlottesville, VA
Wednesday 05/14/2014 Baltimore, MD
Wednesday 06/04/2014 Birmingham, AL
Monday 06/09/2014 Memphis, TN
Wednesday 06/11/2014 Denver, CO
Thursday 06/12/2014 Salt Lake City, UT
Friday 06/13/2014 Boise, ID
Saturday 06/14/2014 Stanley, ID
Monday 06/16/2014 Missoula, MT
Tuesday 06/17/2014 Seattle, WA
Wednesday 06/18/2014 Portland, OR
Thursday 06/19/2014 Eugene, OR
Friday 06/20/2014 San Francisco, CA
Saturday 06/21/2014 Los Angeles, CA
Sunday 06/22/2014 San Diego, CA
Monday 06/23/2014 Scottsdale, AZ
Wednesday 06/25/2014 Dallas, TX
Thursday 06/26/2014 San Antonio, TX
Friday 06/27/2014 Austin, TX
Saturday 06/28/2014 Houston, TX
Sunday 06/29/2014 New Orleans, LA

- bubba

LBRod

Post by LBRod »

[quote="one belt loop"]
Friday 06/20/2014 San Francisco, CA
:twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Don't hurt people, and don't take their stuff.

rlipps

Post by rlipps »

Caught Lee and the boys in Whitesburg, KY at the Summit City last night. Played their hearts out for maybe 20 people. Tonight, they start a run of 2 nights at the 9:30 Club and 2 nights at the Orange Peel with the Alabama Shakes, so hopefully they'll gain a little exposure playing to a much bigger audience. The show was heavy on tunes from the upcoming album, Dereconstructed. Here's the setlist, pics and maybe video clips to follow later:

Choctaw Summer
Righteous Ragged Songs
The Company Man
Dereconstructed
Burnpiles, Swimming Holes
The Kudzu & the Concrete
The Weeds Downtown
What's Good & Gone
Roebuck Parkway (Lee solo)
Red, Red Dirt of Home
Centreville
Dirt Track

zoid

Post by zoid »

Hometown heroes, southern shreddists, and recent Sub Pop-signees Lee Bains III and the Glory Fires sing about life on the Parkway and talk about southern shames and pride.

http://vimeo.com/93424213#at=0

one belt loop

Post by one belt loop »

rlipps wrote:Caught Lee and the boys in Whitesburg, KY at the Summit City last night. Played their hearts out for maybe 20 people. Tonight, they start a run of 2 nights at the 9:30 Club and 2 nights at the Orange Peel with the Alabama Shakes, so hopefully they'll gain a little exposure playing to a much bigger audience. The show was heavy on tunes from the upcoming album, Dereconstructed. Here's the setlist, pics and maybe video clips to follow later:

Choctaw Summer
Righteous Ragged Songs
The Company Man
Dereconstructed
The Kudzu & the Concrete
The Weeds Downtown
What's Good & Gone
Red, Red Dirt of Home
Centreville
Dirt Track

Well, sure, that sounds good and all, but how's their "Baa Baa Black Sheep"?

- bubba

rlipps

Post by rlipps »

zoid wrote:Hometown heroes, southern shreddists, and recent Sub Pop-signees Lee Bains III and the Glory Fires sing about life on the Parkway and talk about southern shames and pride.

Very nice performance and interview. Lee's a very thoughtful, articulate dude. My favorite band at the moment, can't recommend them live enough. Thanks for sharing.

rlipps

Post by rlipps »

one belt loop wrote:
rlipps wrote:Caught Lee and the boys in Whitesburg, KY at the Summit City last night. Played their hearts out for maybe 20 people. Tonight, they start a run of 2 nights at the 9:30 Club and 2 nights at the Orange Peel with the Alabama Shakes, so hopefully they'll gain a little exposure playing to a much bigger audience. The show was heavy on tunes from the upcoming album, Dereconstructed. Here's the setlist, pics and maybe video clips to follow later:

Choctaw Summer
Righteous Ragged Songs
The Company Man
Dereconstructed
The Kudzu & the Concrete
The Weeds Downtown
What's Good & Gone
Red, Red Dirt of Home
Centreville
Dirt Track

Well, sure, that sounds good and all, but how's their "Baa Baa Black Sheep"?

Probably can't hang with my daughter's version, lol

grapico

Post by grapico »

I'll say it one more time.....y'all should grab that Patch N Dent show I linked above. Lee attempts to do a rare "Reba".

Gang Green

Post by Gang Green »

grapico wrote:I'll say it one more time.....y'all should grab that Patch N Dent show I linked above. Lee attempts to do a rare "Reba".

I downloaded that, plus there was some other great live shows of Lee Bains and the GFers on that site. He kicks ass, saw him last week opening for the Shakes. Can't wait for the new album. Though you can get all the new songs live on that site you posted.

RolanK
Location: drivin' home early Sunday morning through Bakersfield

Post by RolanK »

rlipps wrote:
zoid wrote:Hometown heroes, southern shreddists, and recent Sub Pop-signees Lee Bains III and the Glory Fires sing about life on the Parkway and talk about southern shames and pride.

Very nice performance and interview. Lee's a very thoughtful, articulate dude. My favorite band at the moment, can't recommend them live enough. Thanks for sharing.

Agree 100%. Watched this yesterday. Fantastic!
Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa

RevMatt

Post by RevMatt »

I caught Lee Bains III and The Glory Fires this past Tues when they opened for Alabama Shakes. They delivered a great set in a large room but were somewhat restrained from what I've seen them do in the small rooms. This may be because they were the opening act and dialed things down a notch or so out of respect to the headliners. Still, a fantastic set. Lee is one of the hardest working people in rock. He was at his merch stand from the moment the doors opened until a few minutes before his set. Then, after tearing down the stage (the GFers remind me of the old school hardcore bands in the sense that they were both band and crew) he was back at his table for the rest of the night.
I have nowhere else to go. There is no demand in the priesthood for elderly drug addicts

rlipps

Post by rlipps »

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

rlipps wrote:Excellent Q&A with Lee in Uncut

http://www.uncut.co.uk/blog/wild-mercur ... lory-fires

That's great. Lee is such an interesting dude as well as being one hell of a nice guy. I dug this bit:

One day, when I was 16, I think, I snuck into the Five Points Music Hall in Birmingham with a fake ID, and saw Drive-By Truckers on the Southern Rock Opera tour. Slobberbone was opening. There weren't a ton of people there. But I looked around and saw some scuzzy rocker dudes in cowboy boots and ballcaps hollering along to words about the duality of the Southern identity, and George Wallace burning in Hell. I remember feeling a sense of solidarity, and thinking, maybe this is what daddy experienced with those bands when he was in high school.

LBRod

Post by LBRod »

Great read. Love this-

I have always had friends of different faiths, friends who are atheist and agnostic, and it's never been an impediment to those relationships. I say glory in their spark; whatever works for them is great. This is just what works for me. I am a church-going, Bible-believing Christian that is neither an evangelical nor a so-called literalist. We do still exist.
Don't hurt people, and don't take their stuff.

Flea

Post by Flea »

If he's surreptitiously peddling Jesus Rock, I guess I'm buying.
Now it's dark.

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

rlipps wrote:Excellent Q&A with Lee in Uncut

http://www.uncut.co.uk/blog/wild-mercur ... lory-fires

The world needs more guys like Lee Bains.

Also, how cool is it that SRO is routinely getting lumped in with albums like "Pronounced" in terms of being a cornerstone of Southern Rock?

Will

Post by Will »

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

That's great! But it looks like we may have to adjust our definition of "the NPR crowd." :D

Also note the acknowledgement of DBT & the Dexateens. It's nice when a reviewer knows what they're talking about.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

Duke Silver

Post by Duke Silver »

Sometimes my own tastes befuddle me. I liked "There Is a Bomb," but wished it were a little rawer. Then I saw them live and hoped their next record would capture THAT. So they made a raw, nasty little album that perfectly captures their live sound...and I'm completely underwhelmed. Maybe they're just one of those bands that doesn't work for me on record.
ain't no static on the gospel radio

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

The good news is that i picked up the new album today for 30% off.

The bad news is that it was the going out of business sale of the local branch of the semi-indy story where i have bought most of my music for many years. Inevitable but still sad.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Duke Silver wrote:Sometimes my own tastes befuddle me. I liked "There Is a Bomb," but wished it were a little rawer. Then I saw them live and hoped their next record would capture THAT. So they made a raw, nasty little album that perfectly captures their live sound...and I'm completely underwhelmed. Maybe they're just one of those bands that doesn't work for me on record.

I thought "There Is a Bomb" was a decent record, but I totally agree with your assessment of it.

"Dereconstructed" is just kicking my ass, and I think perfectly captures the kind of power these guys are capable of.