Lee Bains III & The Glory Fires

Know of a great band you think we'd like to hear about? Got some music news? Or just want to talk about music in general? Post it here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

LBRod

Re: Lee Bains III & The Glory Fires

Post by LBRod »

Kudzu Guillotine wrote:Image

Fantastic. There was one woman in Sacramento that thought they were too loud,
but she was there to drink, not for the show. She expressed her displeasure in
written form. The note she put on the stage was hilarious.
Don't hurt people, and don't take their stuff.

Duke Silver

Post by Duke Silver »

That's baffling.

get it?
ain't no static on the gospel radio

one belt loop

Post by one belt loop »

LBRod wrote:Fantastic. There was one woman in Sacramento that thought they were too loud,
but she was there to drink, not for the show. She expressed her displeasure in
written form. The note she put on the stage was hilarious.

She was permanently pickled.
Matt playing like an evil motherfucker w/ rhythm with a capital MPLAEMWR.

- bubba

rlipps

Post by rlipps »

http://thegloryfires.com/shows/

Some Nov/Dec dates. Definitely making the Whitesburg show at Summit City, as that's the closest place I ever get to see a show (little over an hour). Would love to make the Knoxville and/or Lexington shows on Nov 7th & 8th, but the 7th is my wife's birthday and the 8th is my daughter's 5th birthday party, so both those are out.

zoid

Post by zoid »

I'm guessing that will be the name of the next album...

RevMatt

Post by RevMatt »

They're playing two shows in my area early next week. I am going to the mall to have a "Too Loud For Texas" t-shirt made.
I have nowhere else to go. There is no demand in the priesthood for elderly drug addicts

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

RevMatt wrote:They're playing two shows in my area early next week. I am going to the mall to have a "Too Loud For Texas" t-shirt made.

:lol:

Awesome Rev.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

one belt loop

Post by one belt loop »

RevMatt wrote:They're playing two shows in my area early next week. I am going to the mall to have a "Too Loud For Texas" t-shirt made.

They are gonna LOVE you.

- bubba

Howlinwolf

Post by Howlinwolf »

See you cats tomorrow nite in Manhattan - " Y'all are NEVER too LOUD for NYc" - bring it....

RevMatt

Post by RevMatt »

Too Loud For Texas, Too Broke For NYC
I have nowhere else to go. There is no demand in the priesthood for elderly drug addicts

rlipps

Post by rlipps »

The boys put on another smokin' show in Whitesburg, KY on Saturday night. Got there a little early, and Lee came up and we chatted quite a bit with him before the show. The other 3 guys were sitting at the bar watching the Bama/LSU game on TV. It was comical to watch their reactions, as you could tell they were die-hard fans that live and die with their team.

Once the set started, they were still sneaking glances up on the screen, and when Bama was up 24-17 and driving down the field to basically put the game out of reach, Lee did a solo version of Roebuck Parkway. Not sure if he did it just so the guys could watch that drive or not, but it sure seemed that way. Hilarious to see Adam turn around to Eric and Blake during the middle of a song an do the "Touchdown" signal.

As far as the actual music, you pretty much know what you are getting with a Glory Fires show: 60-75 minutes of balls out, sweaty rock and roll, Lee jumping off the drum riser, playing guitar in the middle of the crowd, on top of a chair, etc. Really brought the energy, and the crowd was impressed. Had several people come up to him after the show and say how much they enjoyed it, and most of them seemed to be people that had never heard them before. The club owner was also impressed, as his words to me as we left were, "Thanks for staying on me to book this band, you won't see a better rock and roll show that what you saw here tonight. I'm already looking to book them again in the spring/summer."

The only negative thing was Lee said it was looking like May or June for the new album to be released. Was hoping it would be a little sooner, but if it's anything like the several songs they've played live, it's going to be a scorcher. Great show, great bunch of guys and I hope some of you NYC peeps catch them tonight and then some of the Athens/Atlanta crowd go see them next week backing up Swamp Dogg.

LBRod

Post by LBRod »

rlipps wrote: you could tell they were die-hard fans that live and die with their team.

The drummer was sporting a Hail Saban shirt out here in California.
Don't hurt people, and don't take their stuff.

one belt loop

Post by one belt loop »

They're rockin' it up in New York right now with Van and the Howlin' Wolf and god knows who all else. Those bastards.

- bubba

RevMatt

Post by RevMatt »

Just came home. What a rocking set! They remind me of all those great, high energy mid-western punk rock bands from the 70's and early 80's.

Van

Post by Van »

one belt loop wrote:They're rockin' it up in New York right now with Van and the Howlin' Wolf and god knows who all else. Those bastards.

Awesome set last night! May have to use ear plugs tonight for the first time ever but most likely not. My ears are still ringing.

Howlinwolf

Post by Howlinwolf »

What a show for us and the fifty other fans on a school nite.

Blazing set - filled with Alabama Punk Rock - God I love it!

Cool cats who took the time to meet with everyone after the show - go support these rockers when they come to your town.....

RevMatt

Post by RevMatt »

Caught them tonight in a basement in New Brunswick with about ten other people. They delivered a fantastic set. Last night they played mostly songs from the album. Tonight at least half the songs were songs that haven't been released yet. Can't wait to hear the record next spring.

rlipps

Post by rlipps »

http://www.stompandstammer.com/index.ph ... &Itemid=51

You guys in the Atlanta/Athens area need to get out and see the shows this weekend with the Glory Fires backing up Swamp Dogg. Should be a hoot, and for a DBT connection, Matt Patton is going to be playing bass on the Swamp Dogg stuff according to this article.

one belt loop

Post by one belt loop »

rlipps wrote:http://www.stompandstammer.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=5603&Itemid=51

You guys in the Atlanta/Athens area need to get out and see the shows this weekend with the Glory Fires backing up Swamp Dogg. Should be a hoot, and for a DBT connection, Matt Patton is going to be playing bass on the Swamp Dogg stuff according to this article.

According to Lee, too. I saw that posted on his fb awhile back.

- bubba

Will

Post by Will »

Yep, going tomorrow night. I picked up the Swamp Dogg reissues after reading Lee's interview with him earlier this year and they're a complete blast. Should be a fun show.

Will

Post by Will »

What a great night. The Glory Fires did three songs on their own (I think one of them was new), then brought out Swamp. His voice still sounds awesome, and they did a ton of stuff from Total Destruction, Rat On!, and Gag a Maggot. The best was after they basically annihilated the place with Total Destruction to Your Mind, and this guy up front yells "Play it again!" Swamp says ok, and the guy says "Hahaha, you won't play it again." Swamp: "The fuck I won't. Hit it!" and then they did it all over. Insane.

Last song was a jammed out cover of "Got To Get a Message To You." Swamp took the mic and left the stage to walk through the crowd, still singing and shaking hands with pretty much everybody there. Just a great night all around.

rlipps

Post by rlipps »

According to Lee, Swamp says they aren't through collaborating, so I'm hoping they might do a run of shows together while we are waiting for the Glory Fires record to come out in May/June. Sounds like a great weekend, I know Patterson and Jenn were both at the 40 Watt show on Friday, looked like an awesome time.

Tyler
Site Admin

Post by Tyler »

Sounds like that'd be a fun opener for homecoming.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

rlipps wrote:According to Lee, Swamp says they aren't through collaborating, so I'm hoping they might do a run of shows together while we are waiting for the Glory Fires record to come out in May/June. Sounds like a great weekend, I know Patterson and Jenn were both at the 40 Watt show on Friday, looked like an awesome time.

It looked like every friend I had in Athens attended that show. We were very jealous.

one belt loop

Post by one belt loop »

What the hell is this doing on page 2? :evil:

- bubba

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

RolanK
Location: drivin' home early Sunday morning through Bakersfield

Post by RolanK »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:Nice interview. The Smiths?? ;)

http://www.al.com/entertainment/index.s ... ty_so.html

Oh no! That Europe tour earlier this year must have corrupted his soul! ;)
Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa

rlipps

Post by rlipps »

Glory Fires are playing at The EARL in Atlanta on Jan 4th, and my wife and I might be in the area. If so, we'll be staying far enough away that we'd have to drive to the show, so I was wondering what the parking situation is close to the EARL?

Will

Post by Will »

rlipps wrote:Glory Fires are playing at The EARL in Atlanta on Jan 4th, and my wife and I might be in the area. If so, we'll be staying far enough away that we'd have to drive to the show, so I was wondering what the parking situation is close to the EARL?

There's a parking lot behind the Earl, but it can fill up pretty early on a Saturday night. There are a couple of pay lots in EAV. I usually park on the side street near the Graveyard Tavern. I've used Uber the last couple of times we've gone to Earl shows though--there's been enough crime in East Atlanta this year that it's stuck in my mind.

Gang Green

Post by Gang Green »

I'm going to be in Fayettville, NC the weekend Jan 24th, I'm thinking of catching the Glory Fires in Raleigh on the Friday or Durham on the Saturday. Looks like Raleigh is closer, anyone know anything about Slims in Raleigh?