hiss golden messenger/mc taylor

Know of a great band you think we'd like to hear about? Got some music news? Or just want to talk about music in general? Post it here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

dime in the gutter

Re: hiss golden messenger/mc taylor

Post by dime in the gutter »

'Scratch wrote:Question: How is Bad Debt? Is it worth plunking down for?

i dig it. a few of the same songs as poor moon...starker versions. whole record is like that. purer strain hiss dna. emusic has it for $5.

jimmyjack

Post by jimmyjack »

Definitely worth a plunge, but Poor Moon is so singular, it's hard to top, especially when you hear it first. That fuckin' album, man. You know when an album is so great is bums you out to listen to it half the time? That's Poor Moon for me. I'm totally jealous of that record.

bovine knievel

Post by bovine knievel »

uncle rickey wrote:Did anybody get their RSD 7' yesterday? The couple of places I went to up here didn't have it...

yes and the dub mix sucks ass
“Excited people get on daddy’s nerves.” - M. Cooley

'Scratch

Post by 'Scratch »

jimmyjack wrote:Definitely worth a plunge, but Poor Moon is so singular, it's hard to top, especially when you hear it first. That fuckin' album, man. You know when an album is so great is bums you out to listen to it half the time? That's Poor Moon for me. I'm totally jealous of that record.

Well said. I keep playing it and there I time when I tell myself I need to listen to something else just so I don't burn out.

Thanks to a generous 3DD member, I'll be checking out Bad Debt too.
Not forever, just for now.

211poundsofpork

Post by 211poundsofpork »

I've heard good things about From Country Hai East Cotton and I ordered that one online somewhere (hard to find!). While I'm waiting, can anyone in the know tell me what to expect? I've heard excerpts from Poor Moon and am working to get that one as well from the local record store.

cortez the killer

Post by cortez the killer »

Country Hai is a very different record than Poor Moon or Bad Debt. I'm lukewarm about Country Hai. I'm not crazy about the incorporation of sythesizers on it and it has a reggae/R&B feel to some of it. The vibe is very different than the HGM I have come to love through PM and BD.
You are entitled to your opinion, but you are not entitled to your own facts.
- DPM

'Scratch

Post by 'Scratch »

You know you're geeking out when you send the band messages on Facebook. I sent MC a question about the electric guitar parts on Poor Moon and here's what he wrote back in case anyone's interested:

"Thanks for the good note. Glad that you like the record. There were a bunch of different electric guitar rigs used. We're usually using either an RC Davis amp, or a Princeton. The main electric guitars on there are a Creston Tele with P90s and a Les Paul. Not too many effects as far as I remember, maybe some phaser and Space Echo/Echoplex. The overdriven sounds are just amps turned up loud. This is what I remember, anyways!

Oh, and that solo on 'Drummer Down' is a friend of ours named Yair Evnine. I wasn't there for that session, but I do know that Scott and I were really wanting a Mutron/envelope filter sound on there and I'm pretty sure that's what they used. You know, there's not really that much electric guitar on the record as I recall. Deceptively little, I don't think I picked up an electric guitar more than once or twice during those sessions, and we didn't do a whole lot of overdubbing afterwards."

It's always cool when musicians are willing and able to respond to their fans. Thanks MC!

cortez the killer

- DPM

bovine knievel

Post by bovine knievel »

cortez the killer wrote:

Thanks for the post, Cortez. Love that song.

dee dee

Post by dee dee »

ramonz

Post by ramonz »

'Scratch wrote:All I know is that I can't get "Westering" out of my head. And I'm totally cool with that.

I'm late to the HGM game, but dayum. Bought Poor Moon a couple weeks ago and can't stop listening. Westering is what hooked me, and the rest has just blossomed like some sort of gift. Thanks guys for giving it its due - and getting it in front of hungry ears. As nerdy as it sounds, I created a "photo essay" of my interpretation of Poor Moon and the environment last week when I was on business in Texas, jogging on beautiful trails that will be housing projects in a year. Maybe I'll post it one day.

Hoping for the hall pass to see HGM open for Patterson on 7/20.

211poundsofpork

Just thought I'd spread the word: The new Hiss Golden Messenger album is set to come out in March 2013 on the Paradise of Bachelors label. I believe it's going to be titled Haw.

cortez the killer

You can now pre-order the upcoming HGM album, Haw.

A1 “Red Rose Nantahala” 4:05
A2 “Sufferer (Love My Conqueror)” 4:49
A3 “I’ve Got a Name for the Newborn Child” 3:14
A4 “Hat of Rain” 2:17
A5 “Devotion” 5:20
B1 “The Serpent is Kind (Compared to Man)” 3:39
B2 “Sweet as John Hurt” 4:51
B3 “Cheerwine Easter” 6:06
B4 “Hark Maker (Glory Rag)” 1:56
B5 “Busted Note” 3:14
B6 “What Shall Be (Shall Be Enough)” 2:22
- DPM

bovine knievel

Post by bovine knievel »

cortez the killer wrote:You can now pre-order the upcoming HGM album, Haw.

A1 “Red Rose Nantahala” 4:05
A2 “Sufferer (Love My Conqueror)” 4:49
A3 “I’ve Got a Name for the Newborn Child” 3:14
A4 “Hat of Rain” 2:17
A5 “Devotion” 5:20
B1 “The Serpent is Kind (Compared to Man)” 3:39
B2 “Sweet as John Hurt” 4:51
B3 “Cheerwine Easter” 6:06
B4 “Hark Maker (Glory Rag)” 1:56
B5 “Busted Note” 3:14
B6 “What Shall Be (Shall Be Enough)” 2:22

Some important deets for completists:

PURCHASING HAW ON THE DAY OF RELEASE (AND EXTRAS)
Completists and deep HGM heads may want to consider waiting until Haw is released on April 2nd (the date that Haile Selassie was proclaimed emperor of Ethiopia in 1930) to take advantage of special bundled deals available directly from the band. These bundles will include copies of Haw PLUS unheard live material, offcuts from the Haw sessions, and brand new recordings. More specific information to come in the next few months. This material will also be available to purchase separately.

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

I hate I missed it but Amy Ray (Indigo Girls) recently did a songwriters In the round thing in several cities on her current tour. When she played the Casbah in Durham a few weeks back her guests included Hiss Golden Messenger, Heather McEntire (Mount Moriah) and Phil Cook (Megafaun) (the same lineup played Charlotte). When you have a few extra moments it's well worth watching the clips from it that are on YouTube. They were filmed by local videographer Dan Schram who does an outstanding job of documenting so much of our local music. His channel is here for those that may be interested in watching some of his work.

dime in the gutter

Post by dime in the gutter »

jjt/wooden wand interviews hiss golden messenger.

http://www.aquariumdrunkard.com/2013/02/25/wooden-wand-interviews-hiss-golden-messenger/#more-34253

wooderson....who knew?

TW_2.0

Post by TW_2.0 »

I can't dance a lick but sometimes I can flat rock and roll

'Scratch

Post by 'Scratch »

Counting down. Looking forward.

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Looking forward to this as well.

Poor Moon didn't get a ton of play from me last year, but its one of those albums where every time I put it on, I think "I need to listen to this a lot more". "Blue Country Mystic" is as inviting of an opening track as you'll find.

lajakesdad

Post by lajakesdad »

dime in the gutter wrote:jjt/wooden wand interviews hiss golden messenger.

http://www.aquariumdrunkard.com/2013/02/25/wooden-wand-interviews-hiss-golden-messenger/#more-34253

wooderson....who knew?

This is a great interview JimmyJack. Good to see some fellow hardcore guys making good. Love the Shelter references. My first tattoo was the wheel logo way back then.

Beebs

Post by Beebs »

lajakesdad wrote:
dime in the gutter wrote:jjt/wooden wand interviews hiss golden messenger.

wooderson....who knew?

This is a great interview JimmyJack. Good to see some fellow hardcore guys making good. Love the Shelter references. My first tattoo was the wheel logo way back then.

Great interview. Just getting into HGM, perfect timing.

I love how so many songwriters and Americana/roots folks have come out of hardcore. Never would have imagined any of this while trying not to get kicked in the face at a DIY show circa '94
Beebs is not a ragey man

'Scratch

Post by 'Scratch »

Beebs wrote:
Great interview. Just getting into HGM, perfect timing.

I love how so many songwriters and Americana/roots folks have come out of hardcore. Never would have imagined any of this while trying not to get kicked in the face at a DIY show circa '94

True, but I never thought I'd ever listen to something resembling country music back then either. Or having a mortgage. Or pretending to be a "responsible adult".

What's that old Taoist proverb? Something like, "if you want to become something, start with its opposite".

Clams

Post by Clams »

Already made the first 30 seconds of Hat of Rain my new ringtone. Really liking Haw. And yes, I just ponied up.
If you don't run you rust

211poundsofpork

Clams wrote:Already made the first 30 seconds of Hat of Rain my new ringtone. Really liking Haw. And yes, I just ponied up.

Welcome aboard Clams! I remember not too long ago when you were a bit suspect about Poor Moon. Another convert! Still don't know which album I like better though - between Haw and Poor Moon.

Clams

Post by Clams »

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

Hiss Golden Messenger is the cover story in this week's issue of the Indy, click on the cover to access the feature:

'Scratch

Post by 'Scratch »

Mike Taylor is getting some good press. I recently started digging into his previous band's stuff - Court & Spark.

bovine knievel

Post by bovine knievel »

Kudzu Guillotine wrote:Hiss Golden Messenger is the cover story in this week's issue of the Indy, click on the cover to access the feature:

Thanks, Kudzu. I enjoyed that read.

Clams

Post by Clams »

Do you live on the west coast? Are you looking for work? Are you "engaging and nice"? (that eliminates you, Bovine). If so, maybe you can work the HGM merch table...

(from HGM's Facebook page)
Good people: I'm going to be looking for interested folks to work my merchandise table on the West Coast in exchange for tickets to the show, drinks and some HGM swag. Ideally the person will be engaging, nice and a good salesperson (i.e. not an introverted geeky record collector like myself). If you're interested, send me a message at hissgoldenmessenger (at) yahoo (dot) com. 9/4 Portland; 9/5 San Francisco; 9/6 Santa Cruz; 9/7 Los Angeles. Thanks.
Last edited by Clams on Thu Aug 22, 2013 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bovine knievel

Post by bovine knievel »

Clams wrote:Are you "engaging and nice"? (that eliminates you, Bovine).]

I blame you