hiss golden messenger/mc taylor

Know of a great band you think we'd like to hear about? Got some music news? Or just want to talk about music in general? Post it here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Duke Silver

Re: hiss golden messenger/mc taylor

Post by Duke Silver »

Hiss Golden Messenger Announce Tour, Share “Tell Her I’m Just Dancing” Video: Watch

http://pitchfork.com/news/67753-hiss-go ... al_twitter

8-)
ain't no static on the gospel radio

WarHenRecords

Post by WarHenRecords »

8-) indeed
This is my label > http://warhenrecords.bandcamp.com/
Label IG > @WarHenRecords

Duke Silver

Post by Duke Silver »

No comments on the new track? This guy used to be king shit around here.

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

Duke Silver wrote:No comments on the new track? This guy used to be king shit around here.
I like it but participation here is not what it used to be. Still somewhat miraculous that at least a few of us still follow message boards when so much of the rest of the online world has gravitated to Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, etc.

RolanK
Location: drivin' home early Sunday morning through Bakersfield

Post by RolanK »

Duke Silver wrote:No comments on the new track? This guy used to be king shit around here.
I like it a lot. Very excited for the new album.
Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Kudzu Guillotine wrote:
I like it but participation here is not what it used to be. Still somewhat miraculous that at least a few of us still follow message boards when so much of the rest of the online world has gravitated to Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, etc.
With all due respect, Kudzu, but you kinda sound like an old man shaken his fist at the young 'uns. Yes, SOME talk has moved to Facebook, but Twitter and Instagram are not platforms built around or for discussions of music (especially not like what we do here).
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

Zip City wrote:
Kudzu Guillotine wrote:
With all due respect, Kudzu, but you kinda sound like an old man shaken his fist at the young 'uns. Yes, SOME talk has moved to Facebook, but Twitter and Instagram are not platforms built around or for discussions of music (especially not like what we do here).
I disagree to a point; I'm a member of several music groups on FB that have 10x that activity that 3DD has had lately.
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

potatoeater

Post by potatoeater »

Kudzu Guillotine wrote:I like it but participation here is not what it used to be. Still somewhat miraculous that at least a few of us still follow message boards when so much of the rest of the online world has gravitated to Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, etc.
Smitty wrote:I disagree to a point; I'm a member of several music groups on FB that have 10x that activity that 3DD has had lately.
Indeed.

The 3DD traffic has been very disappointing to me lately. Since I have returned I have made many efforts to get DBT related discussion going but typically get few replies and those I do get come from the same small handful of members. I couldn't begin to count the amount of times I log in to this site a day to check for new posts and find nothing. What is worse, for me, is the conversation that is happening is usually a few people talking about MLB, fantasy football or trading links and memes in the politics thread. I think it is great the the forum has places for discussions of topics outside of DBT but unfortunately I have very little interest in those high traffic topics. I have wished many times that I could turn off "notifications" of posts to specific threads or even whole topics. By notifications I mean the animated red icons. Something about seeing those icons lit up adds to my disappointment.

I am a member of the DBT Facebook group but find myself annoyed with the majority of the discussion there as well. If it isn't a some sort of "list of" bullshit spamming the feed it is a a game of sing a long one line at a time in the comments.

Ok, rant over.
I'd like to say I'm sorry, I'd like to say I'm sorry, I'd like to say I'm sorry...BUT I AIN'T SORRY!

dime in the gutter

Post by dime in the gutter »

fuck off.

potatoeater

Post by potatoeater »

As far as the original purpose of this thread goes I am not familiar with this artist so I did not have anything to say on the matter. As I just typed that I am thinking some may find that as a form of musical blasphemy. I gave the above track a listen. It was OK. Given he used to be held, or still is, in high regard around here I guess it is fair to assume he deserves more than one listen to one song. If I find the time I will try to give him one.
I'd like to say I'm sorry, I'd like to say I'm sorry, I'd like to say I'm sorry...BUT I AIN'T SORRY!

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Smitty wrote:
Zip City wrote:
Kudzu Guillotine wrote:
I disagree to a point; I'm a member of several music groups on FB that have 10x that activity that 3DD has had lately.
On Facebook, sure, though it's a lot tougher to navigate discussion (IMO)

On Twitter or Instagram? LOL, no

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

potatoeater wrote:
Kudzu Guillotine wrote:I like it but participation here is not what it used to be. Still somewhat miraculous that at least a few of us still follow message boards when so much of the rest of the online world has gravitated to Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, etc.
Smitty wrote:I disagree to a point; I'm a member of several music groups on FB that have 10x that activity that 3DD has had lately.
Indeed.

The 3DD traffic has been very disappointing to me lately. Since I have returned I have made many efforts to get DBT related discussion going but typically get few replies and those I do get come from the same small handful of members. I couldn't begin to count the amount of times I log in to this site a day to check for new posts and find nothing. What is worse, for me, is the conversation that is happening is usually a few people talking about MLB, fantasy football or trading links and memes in the politics thread. I think it is great the the forum has places for discussions of topics outside of DBT but unfortunately I have very little interest in those high traffic topics. I have wished many times that I could turn off "notifications" of posts to specific threads or even whole topics. By notifications I mean the animated red icons. Something about seeing those icons lit up adds to my disappointment.

I am a member of the DBT Facebook group but find myself annoyed with the majority of the discussion there as well. If it isn't a some sort of "list of" bullshit spamming the feed it is a a game of sing a long one line at a time in the comments.

Ok, rant over.
We're in a holding pattern until the new record comes out. Plus this board (plus 9B) have been around for 10 years, so many (if not most) topics about the band have been beaten to death. Outside of the new album and some tour dates, there isn't a ton to talk about

potatoeater

Post by potatoeater »

Zip City wrote:We're in a holding pattern until the new record comes out. Plus this board (plus 9B) have been around for 10 years, so many (if not most) topics about the band have been beaten to death. Outside of the new album and some tour dates, there isn't a ton to talk about
I have taken that into consideration. I am anticipating the new album as much for new material and shows as I am new discussion here.

Kudzu Guillotine

Zip City wrote:
Kudzu Guillotine wrote:
I didn't say discussion had moved to Twitter and Instagram, I said much of the online world in general has moved to those platforms. I actually prefer message boards and the email discussion groups of the past (such as the DBT's Yahoo Group) but when Facebook came along, participation in those mediums slowed to a halt. That's not me shaking my fist at anything, those are facts.

jr29

Post by jr29 »

I'm not really active on any other music related message boards or facebook groups. This is about the only place where I participate.

Duke Silver

Post by Duke Silver »

All of the experiences I've had with FB discussion groups - be they music, sports, or podcast-related - have been disappointing. I don't know why that is. Could be the software itself (typing/editing anything longer than a sentence on FB's phone app freaking SUCKS), could be the psychology of having your real name associated with your comment, could be the Like button making it too easy for people to just smile, nod, and go on their way without really engaging. Whatever the reason, nothing I've seen on FB compares to the quality of discussion I see on boards like this, or even reddit for that matter.

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Duke Silver wrote:All of the experiences I've had with FB discussion groups - be they music, sports, or podcast-related - have been disappointing. I don't know why that is. Could be the software itself (typing/editing anything longer than a sentence on FB's phone app freaking SUCKS), could be the psychology of having your real name associated with your comment, could be the Like button making it too easy for people to just smile, nod, and go on their way without really engaging. Whatever the reason, nothing I've seen on FB compares to the quality of discussion I see on boards like this, or even reddit for that matter.
Agreed. I also don't really think this place has slowed down at all.

Clams

Post by Clams »

Iowan wrote:
Duke Silver wrote:All of the experiences I've had with FB discussion groups - be they music, sports, or podcast-related - have been disappointing. I don't know why that is. Could be the software itself (typing/editing anything longer than a sentence on FB's phone app freaking SUCKS), could be the psychology of having your real name associated with your comment, could be the Like button making it too easy for people to just smile, nod, and go on their way without really engaging. Whatever the reason, nothing I've seen on FB compares to the quality of discussion I see on boards like this, or even reddit for that matter.
FB is good for sharing what shows you're seeing or maybe what your listening to, but there is very little opportunity for meaningful discussion there. Message boards (mainly just this one anymore) still rule for that.
If you don't run you rust

Kudzu Guillotine

Iowan wrote:
I guess it would take someone like Joni or one of the mods to weigh in with numbers but I've noticed a significant drop off in traffic here in recent years. This place and 9 Bullets before it used to be much busier.

Duke Silver

Post by Duke Silver »

The only place I've noticed a significant dip in activity is the Other Bands section. What would it take to bring cortez back to stir the pot again?

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Duke Silver wrote:The only place I've noticed a significant dip in activity is the Other Bands section. What would it take to bring cortez back to stir the pot again?
ugh, no

Duke Silver

Post by Duke Silver »

lol

Jonicont
Site Admin

Post by Jonicont »

Numbers have gone down . Busiest from Oct.--April. Pretty dead in the summer. 2014--averaged 150 users/day--2016--just breaking 100. Feb. 2014--250-300/day. Feb. 2016--125-150/day
Always go to the show

Jonicont
Site Admin

Post by Jonicont »

Bring back Cortez!!
Always go to the show

RolanK
Location: drivin' home early Sunday morning through Bakersfield

Post by RolanK »

Jonicont wrote:Bring back Cortez!!
I will sign the petition.
Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa

Duke Silver

Post by Duke Silver »

HGM is running a deal through this Friday where if you spend $20 in their merch store he'll throw in a free copy of the split LP he did with Michael Chapman. HLAL pre-orders and Lateness of Dancers are excluded, but still a pretty good deal. I picked up From Country Hai East Cotton and Golden Gunn.

Clams

Post by Clams »

For Philly folks, HGM is playing World Cafe's Free at Noon set next Friday. 8-)
If you don't run you rust

ramonz

Post by ramonz »

RolanK wrote:
Jonicont wrote:Bring back Cortez!!
I will sign the petition.
me too!

whatwouldcooleydo?

Post by whatwouldcooleydo? »

jr29 wrote:I'm not really active on any other music related message boards or facebook groups. This is about the only place where I participate.
do you comment on any national sites? I forget where it was (Deadspin? NY Times? The Atlantic?) but the other day I was reading comments from a jr29 and I was like, "hey, I recognize that name!"
Son, this ain't a dream no more, it's the real thing

WarHenRecords

Post by WarHenRecords »

Title track to Heart Like A Levee premiered today too.

This is my label > http://warhenrecords.bandcamp.com/
Label IG > @WarHenRecords