hiss golden messenger/mc taylor

Know of a great band you think we'd like to hear about? Got some music news? Or just want to talk about music in general? Post it here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Clams

Re: hiss golden messenger/mc taylor

Post by Clams »

I touched on this over in the DBT/Wilmington thread but want to mention it here too. LOVED seeing HGM's set last night and in my opinion they were the best opener I've seen at a Trucker show in a long time. MC Taylor oozes soul and blues, the rhythm section, especially the drummer, has a nice light touch, and then there is Phil Cook. Man oh man. Jonicont had given me advance notice on Cook after seeing him a few nights ago and my wife and I wisely parked ourselves up front on his side of the stage and from there we had a perfect view. Singing, playing keyboards, playing harmonica while playing keyboards, playing telecaster #1 sitting down while playing keyboards, playing and absolutely shredding on telecaster #2, playing this cool little mini hollow body slide guitar, etc. And he had total command and dominated each instrument. Kathleen Edwards and Anders Parker are the only others who come to my mind who have blown me away over the years with their ability to play, and I mean PLAY, multiple instruments. Now I can add Phil Cook to the list. He even came out at the end of the night to play keyboards for DBT on Hell No I Aint Happy. Great set by HGM and a great double bill. Very nice to meet War Hen at the merch table too.

Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

hanklow

Post by hanklow »

Kathleen Edwards and Anders Parker are the only others who come to my mind who have blown me away over the years with their ability to play, and I mean PLAY, multiple instruments.
Had a similar reaction when I saw Cook the other night, but my comparison was Larry Campbell (and let me tell you when someone compares you to Larry Campbell you are in rarefied air)

WarHenRecords

Post by WarHenRecords »

Loving all this HGM talk.
Was a really fun tour for all of us.
Whole band is really special. Amazing players.
Seen a lot of drummers in my day and Darren Jessee might be the best one.
Can't wait for the new record in the fall.

Great to meet everyone who introduced themselves. Thanks for coming early to see Hiss.
This is my label > http://warhenrecords.bandcamp.com/
Label IG > @WarHenRecords

Zip Up to Michigan

Post by Zip Up to Michigan »

That does not appear to be Scott Hirsch on the bass... has he left the band? Also, its seems as if the additional guitarist is no longer with them?

WarHenRecords

Post by WarHenRecords »

Zip Up to Michigan wrote:That does not appear to be Scott Hirsch on the bass... has he left the band? Also, its seems as if the additional guitarist is no longer with them?
No Scott or Ryan on this tour.
Band was MC, Phil Cook, Brad Cook (bass) & Darren Jessee.
HGM has always had a large group of musicians that rotate in & out.

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

RolanK
Location: drivin' home early Sunday morning through Bakersfield

Post by RolanK »

Kudzu Guillotine wrote:
Holy Mackerel! Would have loved to been there.
Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa

WarHenRecords

Post by WarHenRecords »

Love that Pickathon vid.

New record Hallelujah Anyhow out Sept 22 on Merge.
Tour to follow.
Hope to see some people out at the shows.