hiss golden messenger/mc taylor

Know of a great band you think we'd like to hear about? Got some music news? Or just want to talk about music in general? Post it here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Clams

Re: hiss golden messenger/mc taylor

Post by Clams »

If you don't run you rust

Clams

Post by Clams »

cortez the killer

Post by cortez the killer »

Bad Debt was recently reissued on Paradise of Bachelors. More here, plus an interview on Aquarium Drunkard.
You are entitled to your opinion, but you are not entitled to your own facts.
- DPM

cortez the killer

New studio offering from HGM coming this fall. First track, Brother, Do You Know the Road?, now available.
- DPM

cortez the killer

"Saturday's Song" off the upcoming Lateness of Dancers now streaming over on The Drunkard. Gotta say that MC Taylor is on a creative tear these days. Music just pouring out of him.
- DPM

bovine knievel

Post by bovine knievel »

cortez the killer wrote:"Saturday's Song" off the upcoming Lateness of Dancers now streaming over on The Drunkard. Gotta say that MC Taylor is on a creative tear these days. Music just pouring out of him.

diggin it!
“Excited people get on daddy’s nerves.” - M. Cooley

ramonz

Post by ramonz »

Oh My.

8/14 Richmond, VA @ The National w/ Jason Isbell

TW_2.0

Post by TW_2.0 »

cortez the killer wrote:"Saturday's Song" off the upcoming Lateness of Dancers now streaming over on The Drunkard. Gotta say that MC Taylor is on a creative tear these days. Music just pouring out of him.

Listening to this on repeat this morning. Love this sound.
I can't dance a lick but sometimes I can flat rock and roll

roland

Post by roland »

Saw them open for Patterson at a Downtown Ramblers shoe last year. I dig the melodies and harmonies, but can't get past the gospel aspect. In the lower half of my catalogue.

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

roland wrote:Saw them open for Patterson at a Downtown Ramblers shoe last year. I dig the melodies and harmonies, but can't get past the gospel aspect. In the lower half of my catalogue.

What little Hiss Golden Messenger I've heard hasn't posed a problem for me as far as the underlying message. Your observation does remind me of when a friend overheard me listening to the O Brother, Where Art Thou? soundtrack and asked me if I'd found God.

StormandStatic

Post by StormandStatic »

All apologies, but I genuinely can't understand that. The message is part and parcel with the music and I couldn't possibly get why you'd reject a message if it elevates the art. I listen to highly religious music and goofy atheist punk and both are leavened by their material. Granted, I identify more with the former than the latter because it's more heartfelt and moving, but still, that's such a reductive way to look at art.

Clams

Post by Clams »

Religious music is a big turn-off. But to me, spiritual music isn't, and that's how I see HGM. I don't mind non-denominational references to god, prayer, faith and things like that. Ray Wylie Hubbard also falls into this category - he is spiritual without being religious or preachy, and that's okay by me.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Clams wrote:Religious music is a big turn-off. But to me, spiritual music isn't, and that's how I see HGM. I don't mind non-denominational references to god, prayer, faith and things like that. Ray Wylie Hubbard also falls into this category - he is spiritual without being religious or preachy, and that's okay by me.

Johnny Cash as well
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

StormandStatic

Post by StormandStatic »

cortez the killer

Write-up of the new record, Lateness of Dancers, over on The Drunkard.
- DPM

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

I'm only three songs in, and really enjoy "Lateness". This guy is definitely in a groove these days, and I think he keeps improving.

cortez the killer

HGM got the Rotter treatment.
- DPM

bovine knievel

Post by bovine knievel »

I'll take the Rotter treatment!

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

bovine knievel wrote:I'll take the Rotter treatment!

Hey! I have that record! But what's the "Rotter treatment!"?
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

John A Arkansawyer wrote:
bovine knievel wrote:I'll take the Rotter treatment!

Hey! I have that record! But what's the "Rotter treatment!"?

Jess Rotter is a graphic artist. She also did the artwork for the Country Funk compilations. I first learned of her when she was profiled by Dust and Grooves a while back.

bovine knievel

Post by bovine knievel »

John A Arkansawyer wrote:what's the "Rotter treatment!"?

Jess Rotter is an artist and has designed cover art and tshirts. I find her incredibly attractive so to me the "Rotter treatment" is just me being a perve. In the context of CTK's post it was a reference to her art on the tshirt.

EDIT

Thanks Kudzu!

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

bovine knievel wrote:
John A Arkansawyer wrote:what's the "Rotter treatment!"?

Jess Rotter is an artist and has designed cover art and tshirts. I find her incredibly attractive so to me the "Rotter treatment" is just me being a perve. In the context of CTK's post it was a reference to her art on the tshirt.

EDIT

Thanks Kudzu!

Oh, right! The one with the Neil Young bootleg with the Bill Stout cover Neil threw across the store when he first saw it lying out. I remember now. Thanks, guys.
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

Clams

Post by Clams »

[youtube]CI1BE48lYBo#t=18[/youtube]

Clams

Post by Clams »

Goin' big band on Letterman. Impressive.

RolanK
Location: drivin' home early Sunday morning through Bakersfield

Post by RolanK »

^^^wow! Dave speaking the truth. They got nothing to worry about. Can't go wrong with the Schaffer sitting in on the keys either.
Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa

Clams

Post by Clams »

New EP "Southern Grammar" coming next week. Looks like one track from the last record was recorded live, plus two new ones. Streaming at NME.com...

http://www.nme.com/blogs/nme-radar/stre ... ecache=584

Hiss Golden Messenger's fifth album, 'Lateness Of Dancers', was one of 2014's most under the radar gems: "an Americana record of immense spiritual and musical grace", according to NME's 9/10 review. It was also MC Taylor's first for fabled North Carolina indie label, Merge. Clearly wanting to make the most of their new signee (known to his folks as Mike), next week they're releasing the gorgeous 'Southern Grammar' EP: this version of the title track (originally on 'Lateness Of Dancers') was taken from a session for Philadelphia radio station WXPN, while 'Brother, Do You Know The Road?' and 'He Wrote The Book' were both orphan songs. Taylor writes of the pair:

Incidentally - and this I didn’t realize until we had gathered the material for this record - 'Brother, Do You Know the Road?' and 'He Wrote the Book' share a lyric that goes:

And though the storm’s passed over
And the sun is in its place
It’s been a long time
And the rain, how I know it

Sometimes that feels just about as close to a summation of the HGM philosophy as I can get at. And this is the first and only time that I have ever shared words between two songs.

It's a beautiful record that you can stream exclusively below

TW_2.0

Post by TW_2.0 »

I can't dance a lick but sometimes I can flat rock and roll

ramonz

Post by ramonz »

Great show last night in Norfolk. Short (hour and 15?), but seriously rocking. They opened with a ridiculously good Brother, Do You Know the Road, full of amazing harmonies and kicking drums....and they never let off the gas. The crazy thing is that there were probably only 40 people there, and 1/4 of them were yapping. Basically, it seemed like the boys said "fuck it - this crowd is sparse as hell and talking over the quiet stuff - let's rock their asses off." And damned if they didn't. I'd never seen HGM, and expected a much more mellow deal. Kind of expecting a veggie lover's pizza, but they delivered a meat lover's with extra ham.

MC was talkative throughout, friendly, and told a couple good stories. Like them being dads with young children, and needing to sneak away for these 2/3 week runs. There were so few people in there, you could have some respectful interplay. I asked about Letterman ("they keep it cold in there!"). All the guys hung out at the merch table afterwards and rapped with my small crew. We got them some PBR's and they were appreciative. I didn't know this until last night, but HGM's bass and guitar players are the 2 brothers from Megafaun (Brad Cook on bass and Phil Cook on guitar/keys/etc.). I knew they looked familiar - Megafaun opened for DBT maybe 4 year ago and were great - but I didn't make the connection until last night. Brad is a huge DBT fan - see his Cooley Bird tat below!

What else - rocking show, great dudes, fun night. Got a setlist and the gents happily signed. Got some new (old) music too that I'm excited to hear. They're in Richmond tonight and I think back to Raleigh area Friday. Go see 'em if you get a chance!

Clams

Post by Clams »

ramonz wrote: Kind of expecting a veggie lover's pizza, but they delivered a meat lover's with extra ham.
:lol: